Summary of Completion - King and Captain

Welcome to Middle Earth.

All current role-playing will take place, here; record or post links to your die rolls, as well as anything you feel is relevant to playing your character in our present adventure, for ease of reference. All current Out-of-Character (OOC) discussions should take place here, as well, such as Fellowship/ Company planning. Please, keep your die rolls and short OOC notes in the main game thread; you may even use an OOC note to point to a topic (insert a URL into your post) or post elsewhere in this forum, as long as it is relevant to the on-going game.

Old adventures and OOC posts will go into the proper forum category area once the new adventure and OOC thread have been established. OOC threads MAY carry over to more adventures if I deem there is not enough in the current thread to separate it from a new OOC thread.
Fieranor of Imladris
LoreMaster
LoreMaster
Melee APs: 4
Stealth APs: 4

Summary of Completion - King and Captain

Unread post by Fieranor of Imladris » 05 May 2020, 17:58

My friends,

To sate curiosity, I am providing a written conclusion of what the adventure campaign was supposed to be, by the end...

You all know your Player-heroes (PH) were in Karak Azshur -a name I stole from the Warhammer FRP 2nd Edition map-, a small Grey Dwarven mining station where you encountered dwarves whose minds had become twisted, though by what you could not tell. The secret is that the Lady Zakzôrs had turned, through no fault of her own, except not killing them where they stood, as any other Dragon would do, the Dwarves of that community, when they had dug too deeply and released her from a cave much deeper in the Earth, into her wanton cult of Dwarves. Knowing this, Sauron sent The Messenger -a Nazgûl, one of the three most powerful of the nine- to turn one of the Dwarves to its purpose, so that he would offer a gift of stones to her new lair. Shortly after, she gave birth to three Dragons, one of which you met in the Barracks room of the keep.

Lothíriel was on the correct path and, had you all not become so separated -admittedly, a lot of that is because of how the screwy dynamic lighting system for Roll 20 works- you likely would have found the secrets of the place. When I ran the tabletop version of this map and adventure the Players really had no problem keeping up with one-another. Perhaps I overdid it on the Roll 20 map, but I would have thought all of you would have adapted at some point or another. I'll chalk it up to my lack of knowledge of how best to use their lighting system, although I do still plan to purchase The Foundry VTT and learn how to use that; then, perhaps... one never really knows.

Anyway, if all of you would have followed the various paths you eventually would have found the stairs down, right below the side-by-side circles toward the right-hand side of the map. I have lifted the dynamic lighting and turned on, to the best of my knowledge, global illumination, though I can't tell because certain settings have been changed, somewhere. I will try to verify these things over the next several days.

The stairs down come to a long hallway, shown on the map to the right of the stairs shown on the main map I alluded to, earlier. Following the corridor after moving down the stairs you would, eventually, come to a mining map that leads to the right-most side of the map. Scrolling up to the grey-stone circle pictured above the stairs down, you see a tall tower. In this tower, while your Characters were, yet, at the bottom of the shaft, an Earthquake of some sort shakes and allows to drop from the top several coins and gems, signaling that you should go upward. At the top of the stairs, you have a connecting room which is the Lady's lair, where a stone altar with several small holes in the side of it exist, among all the treasure she slept upon, you would find two stones -akin to the stones from Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom. Both Artorius' Foresight of Their Kindred and Éadnes' Speakers abilities would go absolutely nuts at the discovery of these stones because they are specially enchanted, but you all would have known the truth of these things on returning them to Radagast in Dale.

The Wizard would then have a requirement of you to find a book of dark magic in a place long buried. I have the maps and designs, but you would have faced a lot of the dead to find it, and not find it because it would be gone, already.

After that all of you would be captured by Riders of Rohan who had followed a Marshall-become-King to the Vales of Gundabad, where their long dead ancestor Eorl the Young took his people South from. Your Characters would have been made servants, killed, or been forced to escape, though the story I have planned, which will never be played, now, was enough to compel you all to stay until you no longer could. Eventually, the obvious and inevitable would happen and the new Kingdom would fall prey to the armies from within the Mountains of Gundabad and, having accomplished what I needed you to, would be forced out into the world, likely to travel to the Easterly Inn, the roof of which you aided in setting up in the Summer of 2946 until you could recover yourselves enough to travel.

By then, I would have introduced you to the next campaign, which would be years in the making, but I also would have begun introducing you to adventures found in Tales from Wilderland, the Darkening of Mirkwood, and Ruins of the North.

I wish you would have maintained notes for yourselves, on paper, visible and available at a moment's notice, so you could have kept a journal, whether personal or business, or both, and maintained the will and desire for good story-telling I have always striven to provide. I'm likewise sorry I was not able to keep your interest.

Again, good luck and I wish you all the best.

~Paul
Eadnes
Apprentice
Apprentice
Melee APs: 6
Stealth APs: 10
Journey Role: Look-out (P)

Re: Summary of Completion - King and Captain

Unread post by Eadnes » 06 May 2020, 12:35

Hi Paul,

I think you are being overly hard on yourself.

I am no expert in online gaming but I am not sure the map was the problem. When I used to play online Flat Top, (Battle of Solomon Seas 1942 boardgame) it took a week to conclude one full move. Your map couldn't be simpler, so my limited experience suggests when actual figures need to be moved by players it will inevitably take much much longer to play a turn. Flat Top was two player, when we tried to make single commanders for aircraft carriers it collapsed.

Similarly, I see nothing wrong with your storyline, I agree it would probably take many years to complete in full but how often is the journey more important than the destination?
:)

Regarding the future. Keep well and good luck.
I wish all your family the best.

Peter
Artorius
Seeker
Seeker
Melee APs: 4
Stealth APs: 4
Journey Role: Hunter (P)

Re: Summary of Completion - King and Captain

Unread post by Artorius » 06 May 2020, 13:42

It was fun while it lasted.