The Doom of Karak Azshur II

Welcome to Middle Earth.

All current role-playing will take place, here; record or post links to your die rolls, as well as anything you feel is relevant to playing your character in our present adventure, for ease of reference. All current Out-of-Character (OOC) discussions should take place here, as well, such as Fellowship/ Company planning. Please, keep your die rolls and short OOC notes in the main game thread; you may even use an OOC note to point to a topic (insert a URL into your post) or post elsewhere in this forum, as long as it is relevant to the on-going game.

Old adventures and OOC posts will go into the proper forum category area once the new adventure and OOC thread have been established. OOC threads MAY carry over to more adventures if I deem there is not enough in the current thread to separate it from a new OOC thread.
Fieranor of Imladris
LoreMaster
LoreMaster
Melee APs: 4
Stealth APs: 4

The Doom of Karak Azshur II

Unread post by Fieranor of Imladris » 01 Feb 2020, 11:15

Lothíriel wrote:
31 Jan 2020, 20:12
Lothíriel readies her shield and draws Naurmegil which gleams in the torchlight, she readies herself to go with Frerin into combat with the enemy beyond the door. She quietly says a prayer to the Valar.
Out-of-Character Lothíriel rolls for Inspire against TN 14. Lothíriel:rolling 1t[feat] + 3t[normal] > 14 (3)+(5+5+3)=16

Frerin wrote:
31 Jan 2020, 13:33
Out-of-Character I would like to try and hack the lock open with my axe... call it dwarven burglary. ;-)

Got 8+4+5 = 17 on an Axes roll.

Eadnes wrote:
31 Jan 2020, 16:37
Stepping back to allow Frerin a clean strike, Éadnes then shoulders the door in time with Frerin.

In speaking her short prayer, the Warrior of Gondor signals that she knows what's about to take place and, like many battles, before, tries to Enhearten her allies to do their best.
LoreMaster Note Ross, this was a great idea and you'll have earned an award from it, for the sake of our tale, but there's nothing really in the rules to help out, at this point, except from a story standpoint, as well. Nicely done, though.
With a very loud pop the handle of the door shatters into a dozen pieces and the latch of the door is cut away from its stone and wood mooring, forcing the door to pop open, though it's not terribly wide until Éadnes forces it to be so. Still, the door swings wide until it is stopped by a loud thwack, by what you cannot tell.

Blood is not dripping from the ceiling within, but it is all over the walls, the columns, and especially awash the floor; though blood is seen on the ceiling, as well, it is not viscous enough to have weight to allow it to fall, being more a mist or spray. Various torture devices present themselves to your eyes, tables with straps, chains, and leather ties, such things as none of you have ever seen and only heard rumors of from the camps of Orcs and Goblins, sequestered so deeply within their mountains no one is able to verify the veracity of these claims.

Two rather hefty Dwarves, powerful in their arms as with their bellies, hold varying instruments, paddles, and pully-handles; the one to your right is turning toward you in surprise, the eyes of that in front of you full of rage and pleasure, also in surprise.
LoreMaster Note Normally, I would have the three in front, Frerin, Éadnes and Lothíriel roll Awe -because neither Stealth nor Hunting truly apply, here, for Surprise-, but I rolled Awareness for them and both were caught entirely flat-footed. So, my friends, the room is yours, what do you intend to do with it?
Lothíriel
Novice
Novice
Melee APs: 6
Journey Role: Scout (S)

Re: The Doom of Karak Azshur

Unread post by Lothíriel » 01 Feb 2020, 16:32

Fieranor of Imladris wrote:
01 Feb 2020, 11:15

In speaking her short prayer, the Warrior of Gondor signals that she knows what's about to take place and, like many battles, before, tries to Enhearten her allies to do their best.
LoreMaster Note Ross, this was a great idea and you'll have earned an award from it, for the sake of our tale, but there's nothing really in the rules to help out, at this point, except from a story standpoint, as well. Nicely done, though.

Lothíriel looks at the blood and gore and her stomach churns at the disgusting scene of torture and abuse. She looks at the two dwarves, pointing Naurmegil at them and speaking words clear and commanding in Westron, "Drop any weapons and surrender to face judgement."

Out-of-Character Excellent, I was trying to find ways to make use of my calling, so the Inspire was to bring strength and courage to myself and my companions.

Calling: Leader - The Wise know that advice is a dangerous gift, as all courses may run ill. Worse is the case of a leader of men, as when his actions go amiss, many suffer as a consequence. But when the world is on the brink of ruin, it is the duty of all men of worth to rise and take the lead, whatever the risk of making the wrong choices. You have decided to put your judgement to the service of others, to guide them in this dark hour. But you don’t want others to heed your commands out of fear or obedience – you want them to follow you because they trust in your counsel.

Calling Trait: Leadership-You possess the capability to win the trust of others and push them to action. When under pressure, other men naturally turn to you for guidance, as ducklings follow their mother, or wolf pups heed their father.
Frerin
Apprentice
Apprentice
Journey Role: Guide

Unread post by Frerin » 01 Feb 2020, 18:26

Frerin advances into the blood-soaked room, axe at the ready. "Dinnae bother ta make excuses," he states in an almost growling voice, "I heard ya talk. Ye're a disgrace fer th' line o'Durin, that's what ye are! Worse'n Orcs an' Goblins, from th' looks o' it."

He does not seriously expect the savage dwarves to lay down their arms and surrender, so Frerin is watching them closely, ready to attack as soon as one of them reaches for a weapon. Looking around the corner, he calls out to his companions. "Oi, watch out, there's another one back here!"

Meanwhile, with a few quick flaps of his wings, Shathûr ascends to wheel close to the ceiling, hopefully away from any threatening blades.
Out-of-Character If you want a rules effect for Lothîriel's Inspire roll, maybe she could give the Fellowship one or more Combat Advantage dice (p. 151 TOR RPG) to use in the upcoming fight?
As for Frerin, he is advancing, and if possible, I would like to delay an attack in case one of the dwarves go for their weapons.
Artorius
Seeker
Seeker
Journey Role: Hunter (P)

Unread post by Artorius » 02 Feb 2020, 14:18

The torchlight reflecting off the bloody walls and floor fills the hallway with a reddish hue. The smell is the first thing which hits Artorius, followed by a glimpse of blood coating the room. From the warnings and heedings of the comapny it sounds like two to three foes could be within the room. While at the back of the column, the Ranger keeps his silence but holds his blade ready for sudden defense. Inside, fear grips his heart for these deep, dark places are filled with dangers and horrors beyond the knowledge of Men. This is made all the more sinister with hearing those who await in the room ahead are flesh eaters and corpse defilers.

And then he hears it... the resolute and inspring Gondorian accent. Lothíriel's voice rings through the halls and Artorius remembers the stories of the White City, bastion of defense. Perhaps one day he will see it again. Evil winds may blow but Gondor endures, Men endure. The blood of the faithful is no yet spent. Hope is renewed in the darkness.

The Ranger's stance changes slightly. One of prepared assault and in that dark hall his blade took every flash and flick of the latterns and reflected it back with a perceived ferocity. And the Ranger let out a grand battle shout...

"Lacho calad! Drego morn!"
Ellisidil
Apprentice
Apprentice
Journey Role: Scout (P)

Unread post by Ellisidil » 02 Feb 2020, 16:38

Ellisidil hears Frerin's voice, the inspiration takes his heart. He draws his sword, shakes his head as he hears Artorius' battle shout, but says to him "Remember why we are here. Please let us here what these dwarves have to say they may lead us to our goal."
Eadnes
Apprentice
Apprentice
Stealth APs: 10
Journey Role: Look-out (P)

Unread post by Eadnes » 03 Feb 2020, 10:08

Out-of-Character As stated earlier I will move into the room and to the side, it would be wrong to change this now. Having pushed the door open, I feel I will be armed with my spear first as I couldn't hold both and push the door. I've moved my figure in what seems the logical direction getting weapons ready. As Frerin moved directly in, I hope this is in keeping. I'd continue to move round the pillar but obviously come up short against what looks like a rack. I'd draw my sword, so I'm fully armed as I go.
Fieranor of Imladris
LoreMaster
LoreMaster

Unread post by Fieranor of Imladris » 03 Feb 2020, 11:59

Lothíriel wrote:
01 Feb 2020, 16:32
"Drop any weapons and surrender to face judgement."
There is little light left in the eyes of the Dwarf you are able to plainly see and you may not be able to understand why, but they appear to be almost a solid black, though the dim light within may be playing tricks on you. Any sense of sanity seems to have left this fellow long ago.
LoreMaster Note Though you do have a commanding presence, and are a Leader, your words have little effect on their present actions.

Frerin wrote:
01 Feb 2020, 18:26
"Dinnae bother ta make excuses," he states in an almost growling voice, "I heard ya talk. Ye're a disgrace fer th' line o'Durin, that's what ye are! Worse'n Orcs an' Goblins, from th' looks o' it."
Out-of-Character As for Frerin, he is advancing, and if possible, I would like to delay an attack in case one of the dwarves go for their weapons.
"Oi, watch out, there's another one back here!"
Before you can actually say this, however, the Dwarf to your left takes advantage of your pause and charges you quickly, in individual surprise, before you could possibly bring your axe to bear on him. Without stopping, but with increasing mad laughter, he slashes at your face and, cutting through your beard leaves you with a nasty cut on your left cheek, not stopping but increasing in momentum.
LoreMaster Note I know the game rules don't support it, so this is more about story-telling. There's no damage from it, and it will begin to sting once you're finished in this room, I'm sure. I'll consider that his move for Onset, as he closes rapidly with Lothíriel!

Ross, you may attack this oncoming assailant, if you wish?
Out-of-Character If you want a rules effect for Lothîriel's Inspire roll, maybe she could give the Fellowship one or more Combat Advantage dice (p. 151 TOR RPG) to use in the upcoming fight?
LoreMaster Note I'll consider that, though most likely there will be no real effect from it, at this time.

Artorius wrote:
02 Feb 2020, 14:18
"Lacho calad! Drego morn!"
LoreMaster Note HMMM! So, your battle call comes immediately after Lothíriel's prayer? That's about the same time Frerin charges the room and is cut by the Dwarf.

Ellisidil wrote:
02 Feb 2020, 16:38
"Remember why we are here. Please let us here what these dwarves have to say they may lead us to our goal."
LoreMaster Note I'm afraid your words here are more or less drowned out by whatever attack Lothíriel makes.

Eadnes wrote:
03 Feb 2020, 10:08
Out-of-Character I'd continue to move round the pillar but obviously come up short against what looks like a rack.
LoreMaster Note Yes, you are correct, that is a rack and it is, indeed, in your way as you move forward!

My friends, I'd like to hear from Moriel before we move forward. As of right now, Frerin is rather busy with the cut he's just received to his face, though in essence it feels relatively superficial, not truly deeper in the skin than a paper cut, though blood does immediately flow from it. Because of the distraction, you DID NOT see the third guy, though you hear a bit of clanking as he moves forward.
Eadnes
Apprentice
Apprentice
Stealth APs: 10
Journey Role: Look-out (P)

Unread post by Eadnes » 03 Feb 2020, 13:54

The horrors of this room suggest the occupants are servants of evil and although dwarves, Frerin's words echo in
his mind. Éadnes, hears the approach of another dwarf but cannot see them. Unable to cross the rack with ease, he jabs towards the dwarf opposite with his spear. The jab was ineffectual but he hoped it would draw the attention of the foul individual attacking Frerin.
Out-of-Character Rolled 13 with spear, probably a miss with the rack and stuff in the way.
Lothíriel
Novice
Novice
Journey Role: Scout (S)

Unread post by Lothíriel » 03 Feb 2020, 16:04

Fieranor of Imladris wrote:
03 Feb 2020, 11:59
I'll consider that his move for Onset, as he closes rapidly with Lothíriel!
Ross, you may attack this oncoming assailant, if you wish?
Lothíriel sees the obvious signs of the shadow here and that the dwarves have fallen to their doom. When the dwarf attacks and wounds Frerin, she snarls in anger and swings Naurmegil with fury at the approaching dwarf. "By the light of the Valar, I deem you judged!"
Out-of-Character Distinctive Feature: Fierce [Angry]- When provoked by deed or word, or when you deem it necessary, you let loose your savage side, demonstrating your aggressiveness. Normal attack with my sword. I think he's fubared. Lothíriel attacks with a Naurmegil against TN 14.
Lothíriel:rolling 1t[feat] + 4t[normal] > 14 (7)+(1+6 - Higher Success+6 - Higher Success+3)=23
Frerin
Apprentice
Apprentice
Journey Role: Guide

Unread post by Frerin » 03 Feb 2020, 19:31

"Shoulda listened ta th' lady..." Frerin growls, as he swings his axe at the savage dwarf who just struck him.
Out-of-Character This is getting off to a great start... rolled Image + 1 + 2 = 3 for my attack.
Moriel
Novice
Novice
Journey Role: Look-out (S)

Unread post by Moriel » 03 Feb 2020, 20:02

Out-of-Character I'm going to use 1 endurance to gain 1 AP. Then I will move where I can see the bad guy and I'll use my other 4 AP's to shoot an arrow. 1+3+3+4+Image = 17 to hit.
Ellisidil
Apprentice
Apprentice

Unread post by Ellisidil » 04 Feb 2020, 11:53

Out-of-Character Ellisidil hears what is going on and wants to join in, but at the same time he knows that it might be crowded and someone should guard the rear and keep an eye out for our guide to see what he does.
Fieranor of Imladris
LoreMaster
LoreMaster

Unread post by Fieranor of Imladris » 05 Feb 2020, 12:13

Eadnes wrote:
03 Feb 2020, 13:54
Out-of-Character Rolled 13 with spear, probably a miss with the rack and stuff in the way.
LoreMaster Note Your strike is true and results in a possible Piercing Blow.

Please report your dice, or at least let me know that you rolled on Roll20 so, like I just did, I can go and look. Why? Because it's your Feat die (the d12) which determines whether or not you have a Piercing Blow; you rolled a 9 on your Feat die and, thus, the Dwarf may suffer a Piercing Blow. Your Spear's Injury is 14...

Dwarf's save vs. Piercing Blow = 11 (7 + 4), vs. 14, which means he takes a Wound and loses 5 Endurance. However, I'm going to spend one Hate to reduce that damage by 4.

Lothíriel wrote:
03 Feb 2020, 16:04
Out-of-Character Distinctive Feature: Fierce [Angry]- When provoked by deed or word, or when you deem it necessary, you let loose your savage side, demonstrating your aggressiveness. Normal attack with my sword. I think he's fubared. Lothíriel attacks with a Naurmegil against TN 14.

Lothíriel:rolling 1t[feat] + 4t[normal] > 14 (7)+(1+6 - Higher Success+6 - Higher Success+3)=23
LoreMaster Note Ross, did you figure that as the standard Difficulty Number for TOR, or did you figure as Stance plus Favored Parry plus Attribute Level (because of Favored Parry)?

You rolled 7 + 1 + 3 + Image + Image = 23, so not only did you have an extraordinary hit, you've also done a bucket-ton of damage to old boy. Let me figure this out.

Your Edge is 9 and you only rolled a 7 on your Feat die, so no Piercing Blow. Your damage, on the other hand, is 19; you did not state you were using both hands, so your base damage is 5, followed by two iterations of your Melee damage, at 7 each, for the Tengwar Runes.

I will spend one Hate to reduce the damage by 4, to 15.
The Dwarf's momentum is immediately arrested and, indeed, he staggers back under the blow from Lothíriel's sharpened instrument of death, looking at his left arm and chest as though it's odd he should see blood there. Not dissuaded, however, he quickly pulls both daggers from his belt and prepares to fight!

Frerin wrote:
03 Feb 2020, 19:31
"Shoulda listened ta th' lady..." Frerin growls, as he swings his axe at the savage dwarf who just struck him.
Out-of-Character This is getting off to a great start... rolled Image + 1 + 2 = 3 for my attack.
LoreMaster Note My friend, you didn't move or turn your token to attempt taking a swing at him, but even if you had, you've managed somehow to whiff that hit.

Movement would be a problem, as well... you already used three of your APs to move in at the beginning of the round. With 1 AP remaining, you could turn and step over behind the swiftly passing Dwarf 1, but your attack would be from a longer range, giving you a penalty of 2 to-hit, meaning requiring a 16.

Just things for all of you to consider as you plan your movement and your strikes. Don't forget about burning up to three Endurance on extra APs through the round.

Moriel wrote:
03 Feb 2020, 20:02
Out-of-Character I'm going to use 1 endurance to gain 1 AP. Then I will move where I can see the bad guy and I'll use my other 4 AP's to shoot an arrow. 1+3+3+4+Image = 17 to hit.
LoreMaster Note You are at extremely close range, but I've run my arrow to help determine Line-of-Sight and you're in good shape. You hit, but rolling the 1 on the Feat Die does not allow you a Piercing Blow.

The base damage is 5 for the Bow and your Ranged damage (for the T-Rune) is 4, for a total of 9, taking the remainder of his Endurance. He is NOT dead, just incapacitated, and adding blood to the already blood-soaked floor.

Ellisidil wrote:
04 Feb 2020, 11:53
Out-of-Character Ellisidil hears what is going on and wants to join in, but at the same time he knows that it might be crowded and someone should guard the rear and keep an eye out for our guide to see what he does.
LoreMaster Note Not a bad idea, and very considerate; thank you.

LoreMaster Note The Dwarf across the blood-soaked rack from Éadnes spends one Hate to reduce the Elf's Parry rating to his base (Bewilder) to throw his Dagger and hit... he rolls a 17 (5 + 1 + 1 + Image + 4 (Dagger is Favored, so he gets to add his Attribute Level)).

His roll is enough to hit and do some extra damage, but not enough for a Piercing Blow, at base 3 + 4 (Attribute Level for Tengwar Rune), for a total of 7, and then it tries to run to get away two spaces.

A terrible racket begins in another room and ends with the advent of another Dwarf, this one heavily armored and armed, bounding from the next room and shouldering into the table to push it against Frerin in an attempt to get at him!
LoreMaster Note Before we start the first Close Combat round, I need an Athletics roll for Frerin, please? Your target number is only 10. You are rolling to keep your footing and to keep from taking damage.
Artorius
Seeker
Seeker
Journey Role: Hunter (P)

Unread post by Artorius » 05 Feb 2020, 13:34

The narrow halls make it almost impossible for Artorius to join the combat, he insteads decides to stay at the flank with Ellisidil incase the noise of battle stirs anything else from the darkness which may creep up on them from behind. He tries to keep an overwatch on the darkness behind but the low light and fight in front make this a challenge.
Out-of-Character Awareness roll - 4+3+3+2=12. Methinks I aint seeing much...
Ellisidil
Apprentice
Apprentice

Unread post by Ellisidil » 05 Feb 2020, 14:46

Out-of-Character Awareness roll (6) + (6) + (3)=15