The Doom of Karak Azshur

Welcome to Middle Earth.

All current role-playing will take place, here; record or post links to your die rolls, as well as anything you feel is relevant to playing your character in our present adventure, for ease of reference. All current Out-of-Character (OOC) discussions should take place here, as well, such as Fellowship/ Company planning. Please, keep your die rolls and short OOC notes in the main game thread; you may even use an OOC note to point to a topic (insert a URL into your post) or post elsewhere in this forum, as long as it is relevant to the on-going game.

Old adventures and OOC posts will go into the proper forum category area once the new adventure and OOC thread have been established. OOC threads MAY carry over to more adventures if I deem there is not enough in the current thread to separate it from a new OOC thread.
User avatar
Fieranor of Imladris
LoreMaster
LoreMaster
Posts: 2613
Joined: 07 Jul 2015, 19:46
Melee APs: 4
Stealth APs: 4
Location: Rivendell, Valley of Imladris
Contact:

Re: The Doom of Karak Azshur

Unread post by Fieranor of Imladris » 12 Jan 2020, 16:23

Eadnes wrote:
12 Jan 2020, 09:38
Out-of-Character Having moved down the corridor, I wonder if we can assume we just keep going until we need to make a decision? We have a rough order so it seems silly waiting for a figure to move before anyone else can.
LoreMaster Note It's up to you lot to determine when to move in a particular turn order. You do NOT have to wait for someone else to move in that turn order before you do. We're spread across nine time zones, after all and it's just foolish to think your turn order is going to proceed exactly in that order every single time. Even if everyone were in the same time zone, there are so many different schedules, not only day-by-day but hour-to-hour, that counting on timing to work out so someone else is done with their move before you, the following character, log in, would be silly.

So, to be honest, as long as there's room on the map that you can see your Character being able to move through, I don't care where they move. I'll leave all of that up to the rest of you, hehe. :P
 
Alright, let's consider that all of you make it into the larger hallway, you see the corridor to your Character's left with a door about ten feet away and then the opening to your Character's right as you're moving along.
User avatar
Eadnes
Apprentice
Apprentice
Posts: 644
Joined: 29 Jul 2016, 13:27
Melee APs: 6
Stealth APs: 10
Journey Role: Look-out (P)

Re: The Doom of Karak Azshur

Unread post by Eadnes » 12 Jan 2020, 16:28

Out-of-Character Okey Pokey. I assume I have moved to the room you describe.
______________________________
Éadnes Andwiltan • Elf of Mirkwood • Scholar
Hero Stat RecordJournalSpecial Characters
User avatar
Moriel
Novice
Novice
Posts: 161
Joined: 28 Dec 2018, 12:36
Melee APs: 4
Stealth APs: 4
Journey Role: Look-out (S)

Re: The Doom of Karak Azshur

Unread post by Moriel » 13 Jan 2020, 19:13

Out-of-Character Moriel moves up directly behind Ellisidil.
______________________________
Moriel • Wayward Elf of Mirkwood • Scholar
Hero Stat RecordJournalSpecial Characters
User avatar
Ellisidil
Apprentice
Apprentice
Posts: 711
Joined: 28 Jul 2015, 19:48
Melee APs: 4
Stealth APs: 4
Journey Role: Scout (P)

Re: The Doom of Karak Azshur

Unread post by Ellisidil » 14 Jan 2020, 07:12

Out-of-Character Ellisidil moves 4 paces up and halts. He sees the corridor off to his left and begins to wonder
He looks back at Lothiriel and asks, "is this the direction that the eye is pointing us towards? and should we step in here to see what this is?"
______________________________
Ellisidil “The Eagle” • Woodman of Rhosgobel • Warden
Hero Stat RecordJournalSpecial Characters
User avatar
Fieranor of Imladris
LoreMaster
LoreMaster
Posts: 2613
Joined: 07 Jul 2015, 19:46
Melee APs: 4
Stealth APs: 4
Location: Rivendell, Valley of Imladris
Contact:

Re: The Doom of Karak Azshur

Unread post by Fieranor of Imladris » 14 Jan 2020, 15:35

Ellisdil, on mounting the steps you come to a hallway area that seems to go on interminably into darkness at the far end (OOC: Sorry, all, the global illumination is necessary for you all to see the light sources, though for the life of me I can't figure out why?) and, looking to your left, though deep in shadow you see the unmistakable wood grain of a heavy door, with a lock.

Artorius and Frerin, when you step up you see the long hallway, but also carven openings to the West, in a condition similar to the Dwarf-work in the entry corridor. The air is warm and aromatic, five parts the smell of death, two parts the smell of sweat and the remainder smells of various types of rotten food, and it seems to breath, moving back and forth almost unnaturally; Frerin, you will have encountered this phenomenon, before, and recognize it for being one way the air is circulated through Dwarven holds. Indeed, it seems there may be another entrance further down on the right, but not far, perhaps into the same large room.

Éadnes, not only did you see all I've just described for your three friends, but you also wander into a room lit at both ends by torches similar to those you've encountered since entering the hallway of this Dwarf mining hold. Two statues stand on the far wall, one closer to the North of the room, the other in the South, and you may recognize these as Dwarvish representations of Eru and Aulë. A great deal of dust lies on the floor, here, and it's pretty uniform across the ground.

Perhaps two-dozen crates, which once held various types of food, liquids, alcohol, and more are stacked haphazardly in this shrine, much of the more recent food crates now gone bad and stinking up the place. Almost immediately, once you're able to regain your sense of smell, which has been assaulted pretty roughly since entering this place, your vision focuses on the skeleton of a once well-to-do Dwarf. He was, perhaps, a merchant or Noble, but is now long-dead, his bones littering the area between crates, having been gnawed on and some cast aside, most likely chewed on readily by smaller animals passing through.
User avatar
Lothíriel
Novice
Novice
Posts: 129
Joined: 05 Sep 2019, 19:11
Melee APs: 6
Stealth APs: 4
Journey Role: Scout (S)

Re: The Doom of Karak Azshur

Unread post by Lothíriel » 14 Jan 2020, 16:31

Unfortunately, for where you're standing, with the walls of the corridor so close and the only one that's entered any manner of real structure, yet, is Hirgin, you're not sure what lies in the direction, nor if the eyeball was just laying that way when you opened the box to look at it or if it actually moved.

You do notice, being closest to the Dragon's eye, that the box you're holding is very warm, but not hot, and the cooler air of the corridor is abated with the heat of it, somewhat.
Out-of-Character ok some maps are oriented differently which us why I asked. This answers my question mostly
______________________________
Lothíriel of Minas Tirith • Woman of Gondor • Leader
Hero Stat RecordJournalSpecial Characters
User avatar
Fieranor of Imladris
LoreMaster
LoreMaster
Posts: 2613
Joined: 07 Jul 2015, 19:46
Melee APs: 4
Stealth APs: 4
Location: Rivendell, Valley of Imladris
Contact:

Re: The Doom of Karak Azshur

Unread post by Fieranor of Imladris » 14 Jan 2020, 22:16

Lothíriel wrote:
14 Jan 2020, 16:31
Out-of-Character ok some maps are oriented differently which us why I asked. This answers my question mostly
LoreMaster Note Okay so, since I am very forgetful, and though I try to make the right moves and remember the right and easy things, I am most assuredly Human and do make mistakes. :D I most definitely encourage questions to be asked, and the orientation of a map is one of the most important things in a role-playing game; so, I'm glad you asked. :)
User avatar
Eadnes
Apprentice
Apprentice
Posts: 644
Joined: 29 Jul 2016, 13:27
Melee APs: 6
Stealth APs: 10
Journey Role: Look-out (P)

Re: The Doom of Karak Azshur

Unread post by Eadnes » 15 Jan 2020, 08:11

Moving a little towards the centre of the room Éadnes calls to Frerin.

'Frerin, come please. The bones of one of your kinsmen lie here. I would wish you see his remains first.'

Looking round the room and seeing his are the only footprints in the dust, he picks up a few grains and uses them to judge whether there are any draughts in this still, quiet resting place of the fallen dwarf.
______________________________
Éadnes Andwiltan • Elf of Mirkwood • Scholar
Hero Stat RecordJournalSpecial Characters
User avatar
Ellisidil
Apprentice
Apprentice
Posts: 711
Joined: 28 Jul 2015, 19:48
Melee APs: 4
Stealth APs: 4
Journey Role: Scout (P)

Re: The Doom of Karak Azshur

Unread post by Ellisidil » 15 Jan 2020, 09:14

Out-of-Character Ellisidil moves away from the door, putting his torch out, for the present, and moves 5 paces forward
______________________________
Ellisidil “The Eagle” • Woodman of Rhosgobel • Warden
Hero Stat RecordJournalSpecial Characters
User avatar
Frerin
Apprentice
Apprentice
Posts: 502
Joined: 11 May 2016, 15:43
Melee APs: 4
Stealth APs: 4
Journey Role: Guide

Re: The Doom of Karak Azshur

Unread post by Frerin » 15 Jan 2020, 12:08

Frerin joins Eadnes in the adjacent room, and regards the remains of his fallen kinsman with a deep sigh. "More reason ta believe that any o' Durin's folk who once lived 'ere, are long gone or long dead. Give me a moment ta gather what remains o' him in one o' those crates, then. Perhaps, when we leave, we can take 'is bones with us ta be buried in a less forsaken place, or return 'em ta his family."
Out-of-Character Frerin will grab one of the now-empty crates and start gathering the dwarven remains in it.
______________________________
Frerin, Son of Óin • Dwarf of Erebor • Treasure-hunter
Hero Stat RecordJournalSpecial Characters
User avatar
Artorius
Seeker
Seeker
Posts: 369
Joined: 26 Jul 2016, 17:27
Melee APs: 4
Stealth APs: 4
Journey Role: Hunter (P)

Re: The Doom of Karak Azshur

Unread post by Artorius » 15 Jan 2020, 13:42

Artorius follows behind the group and joins them in the room, his interest taken in the walls and statues that decorate the space. He studies the carvings and is deeply impressed by the intricacy of the works. If only there was more light and perhaps some more Dwarves in the company, preferably a Lore Master... this would be a fascinating place for research.
______________________________
Arphenion "Artorius" Annunion • Ranger of the North • Scholar
Hero Stat RecordJournalSpecial Characters
User avatar
Eadnes
Apprentice
Apprentice
Posts: 644
Joined: 29 Jul 2016, 13:27
Melee APs: 6
Stealth APs: 10
Journey Role: Look-out (P)

Re: The Doom of Karak Azshur

Unread post by Eadnes » 15 Jan 2020, 14:45

As Frerin carefully picks up the bones of his fallen kinsman, Éadnes shuffles to look back toward the corridor. Seeing Ellisidil in the corridor he nods towards him. There appears to be no danger but trying to keep friends in sight seems sensible to the elf.
Glancing back to Frerin he asks, 'I wonder how he came to die here? It seems so close to the entrance. Tell me Frerin, would a dwarf choose to die here underground rather than outside in the open air?'
He guesses the answer will be yes but can't help but wonder how did this dwarf die? Why not seek further help outside or if in peril escape when the entrance is so close.

Éadnes shakes his head. He has discovered much but still cannot fully understand the ways of dwarves.
______________________________
Éadnes Andwiltan • Elf of Mirkwood • Scholar
Hero Stat RecordJournalSpecial Characters
User avatar
Ellisidil
Apprentice
Apprentice
Posts: 711
Joined: 28 Jul 2015, 19:48
Melee APs: 4
Stealth APs: 4
Journey Role: Scout (P)

Re: The Doom of Karak Azshur

Unread post by Ellisidil » 15 Jan 2020, 15:34

Ellisidil nods to Eadnes, looks back at Moriel and Lothiriel and says to them "come a little closer to our guide, Hirgin, so we can be a little closer and cover each other."
______________________________
Ellisidil “The Eagle” • Woodman of Rhosgobel • Warden
Hero Stat RecordJournalSpecial Characters
User avatar
Frerin
Apprentice
Apprentice
Posts: 502
Joined: 11 May 2016, 15:43
Melee APs: 4
Stealth APs: 4
Journey Role: Guide

Re: The Doom of Karak Azshur

Unread post by Frerin » 15 Jan 2020, 20:59

"Tha's hard ta say without knowin' what killed 'im." Frerin replies to Éadnes while picking up the remains of the dwarf. "Lyin' down ta die's not really what most dwarves would do. Maybe he got caught by surprise. Maybe 'e was ta badly wounded ta go on. Or maybe he was lookin' fer one last fight, an' found it 'ere."
______________________________
Frerin, Son of Óin • Dwarf of Erebor • Treasure-hunter
Hero Stat RecordJournalSpecial Characters
User avatar
Fieranor of Imladris
LoreMaster
LoreMaster
Posts: 2613
Joined: 07 Jul 2015, 19:46
Melee APs: 4
Stealth APs: 4
Location: Rivendell, Valley of Imladris
Contact:

Re: The Doom of Karak Azshur

Unread post by Fieranor of Imladris » 17 Jan 2020, 17:37

Eadnes wrote:
15 Jan 2020, 08:11
Looking round the room and seeing his are the only footprints in the dust, he picks up a few grains and uses them to judge whether there are any draughts in this still, quiet resting place of the fallen dwarf.
LoreMaster Note You see nothing to indicate any airflow except, perhaps the way you've just come.
 
Ellisidil's torch should have been doused. If it still shows all around your token, please let me know?
 
Frerin wrote:
15 Jan 2020, 12:08
Out-of-Character Frerin will grab one of the now-empty crates and start gathering the dwarven remains in it.
LoreMaster Note It's not all that difficult to find something that allows him to lie in state, for now, until you can repair to the outside. However, just remember there were some difficult places to squeeze through, so you may want to be on the lookout for an appropriate cairn in which to put him to final rest, here.

As explained, earlier, this is the skeleton of a well-to-do Dwarf, perhaps a merchant or Noble. When you pick up his bones, and they do not remain together once you begin to pick them up, you find a pair of bronze earrings with cut moonstones inset. Beneath his traveler's cloak and under his Leather Corslet, which of course was sized for him whence he lived, you find a box of five colored chalks. Also, lying above the skull is a Mattock; the handle has been chewed on and is worn, but it's still in good condition.
 
Artorius wrote:
15 Jan 2020, 13:42
Artorius follows behind the group and joins them in the room, his interest taken in the walls and statues that decorate the space.
You can tell the space was carved intricately centuries ago and has since, as with all you've encountered thus far, fallen into deep disrepair. The face of one of the Dwarven gods has fallen due to natural decay, smashed into bits on the floor -though you're certain Frerin and Hirgin would know whom they were supposed to be, and the places where candles might once have been set to light the place have likewise been destroyed. When you look at the crude sconces at either end of the shrine, you can tell someone attempted to compensate for the lack of light, though these too have been worn badly.
 
Ellisidil wrote:
15 Jan 2020, 15:34
Ellisidil nods to Eadnes, looks back at Moriel and Lothiriel and says to them "come a little closer to our guide, Hirgin, so we can be a little closer and cover each other."
Closing the distance, if not so much by obedience as a will to see more, Lothíriel and Moriel do manage to come closer to Ellisidil, beyond where Hirgin turns in toward the shrine.
 
Frerin wrote:
15 Jan 2020, 20:59
"Or maybe he was lookin' fer one last fight, an' found it 'ere."
LoreMaster Note As there is no readily available cause of death, feel free to roll either Insight or Riddle to help figure it out.
______________________________
I apologize, all, but I'm still terribly ill and I'm in-between sack times. I ran my Father-in-Law to his appointment, earlier, and was able to remain awake, but I'm exhausted, now. I spoke on the phone with my Mom and she has the same thing going on... it acts like the flu, but it's not the flu, and blood tests verify it's NOT the flu... her Doctor called it the post-flu gunk, but Mom hasn't had the flu in some time and I haven't had it since I was a child. So, whatever this is, it's nasty. I'm trying to keep up on the game, but it's not easy, this. I DO NOT need a few days off, but I may be a bit slower than normal. I hope to be back to normal, by tomorrow, but I'm nauseated and dizzy and I'm even having difficulty typing, if you can believe that. :)
Post Reply