To Points West...

Welcome to Middle Earth.

All current role-playing will take place, here; record or post links to your die rolls, as well as anything you feel is relevant to playing your character in our present adventure, for ease of reference. All current Out-of-Character (OOC) discussions should take place here, as well, such as Fellowship/ Company planning. Please, keep your die rolls and short OOC notes in the main game thread; you may even use an OOC note to point to a topic (insert a URL into your post) or post elsewhere in this forum, as long as it is relevant to the on-going game.

Old adventures and OOC posts will go into the proper forum category area once the new adventure and OOC thread have been established. OOC threads MAY carry over to more adventures if I deem there is not enough in the current thread to separate it from a new OOC thread.
Eadnes
Apprentice
Apprentice
Melee APs: 6
Stealth APs: 8
Journey Role: Scout (S)

Re: To Points West...

Unread post by Eadnes » 07 Sep 2019, 03:06

Seeing Aethelwulf mount and Frerin preparing, Éadnes is not surprised by the change in the clamour from the warg riders.

'They know we are here! Prepare yourselves and fair well!'
Moriel
Novice
Novice
Melee APs: 4
Stealth APs: 4
Journey Role: Look-out (S)

Unread post by Moriel » 08 Sep 2019, 18:37

Realizing it was not completely down, Moriel takes aim at the same Orc, hoping to catch it off guard. However, an unexpected gust of wind slowed the arrow, so it may not have been as effective as her previous two shots.
Out-of-Character 7+1+2+4+2=16
Fieranor of Imladris
LoreMaster
LoreMaster

Unread post by Fieranor of Imladris » 08 Sep 2019, 22:13

Moriel wrote:
08 Sep 2019, 18:37
Realizing it was not completely down, Moriel takes aim at the same Orc, hoping to catch it off guard. However, an unexpected gust of wind slowed the arrow, so it may not have been as effective as her previous two shots.
Out-of-Character 7+1+2+4+2=16
The arrow slides under a patch of snow, though you fail to see it do so, missing the Orc you were aiming for, and the others altogether.

LoreMaster Note ROUND TWO, ONCOMING TRAFFIC
The Wargs with their Orc Riders are much closer, now, and you might be able to draw down on them, finally, Ellisidil. As well, Aethelwulf, you can now see their silhouetted figures close enough that you would be able to approach them, but your speed is only about 25' (5 squares) in a round if you want to easily manage Snowmane's steps. If you're intent to be somewhat reckless, however, you could move up to 7 squares (35') per round, though each square beyond 5 will add +2 to any rolls you have at control of Snowmane or attacks/maneuvers of any kind. Fair enough?

The Wargs and their riders seem to pick up their pace toward you, while the Goblin's Warg, which has finally realized its rider is gone, has turned around and is slowly making its way back to the Goblin. In the meantime, the Warg's that were being chased understand they are no longer being chased and they smell blood on the chill Winter wind, and turn back toward that smell, like sharks in the water.

LoreMaster Note My friends, please take a minute to participate in this poll, concerning arrow accounting in our game? Thank you ahead of time.
Eadnes
Apprentice
Apprentice

Unread post by Eadnes » 09 Sep 2019, 13:21

Éadnes sets his spear and sword to hand and ensures his bola is unrestricted. He watches Frerin and ensures he is not in the way of the weapon. As Aethelwulf mounts he turns and faces him.

'You need to ensure you do not block either archer Aethelwulf. Perhaps if you charge to the right? It may give you a chance to make further attacks from the side. Frerin and I will be standing to hold the camp, perhaps with Ellisidil and Moriel behind them we may cause them to panic and flee.'
Aethelwulf
Novice
Novice
Journey Role: Hunter (P)

Unread post by Aethelwulf » 09 Sep 2019, 14:09

"I will charge right. I will do what I can, though obviously when I was in Rohan having a full Éored made things much easier," he chuckled. He would grab his spear, nodding at Eadnes. "I will do what I can."
Ellisidil
Apprentice
Apprentice
Journey Role: Scout (P)

Unread post by Ellisidil » 10 Sep 2019, 13:42

Out-of-Character Ellisidil takes a deep breath, pulls out and notches his arrow, and relaxes to wait until the wargs & riders are a little closer.
Ellisidil looks around to Eadnes, Frerin, and Aethelwulf, "Wait friends, until they are close and we have knocked down at least 2 more of their riders before we do anything foolish. Moriel and I will try and take down those 2 with our next bow shots."
Moriel
Novice
Novice

Unread post by Moriel » 10 Sep 2019, 18:57

Shaking off the missed shot, Moriel fires again at the Orc she hit previously, hoping this time the arrow finds its target.
Out-of-Character 4+5+4+3+Image=22

Moriel has taken a total of 4 shots
Fieranor of Imladris
LoreMaster
LoreMaster

Unread post by Fieranor of Imladris » 10 Sep 2019, 19:38

Moriel wrote:
10 Sep 2019, 18:57
Out-of-Character 4+5+4+3+Image=22

Moriel has taken a total of 4 shots.
LoreMaster Note With your normal bow, Ranged to-hit is 12, at Long Range +4, +4 for wind and fast-moving target, for a total to-hit of 20, which means you hit.

The second Orc from the left in the oncoming group of Orcs takes an arrow to the left shoulder, knocking the instantly dead servant of the Shadow to the ground, never to move on its own power, again.

Ellisidil wrote:
10 Sep 2019, 13:42
Out-of-Character Ellisidil takes a deep breath, pulls out and notches his arrow, and relaxes to wait until the wargs & riders are a little closer.
"Moriel and I will try and take down those 2 with our next bow shots."
LoreMaster Note Riders 1, 3, and 4 are at 80', respectively, and Rider 2, whom Moriel has already hit once, is at 75', all of which are at MEDIUM Range for you with your Great Bow, now. Ranged to-hit is a base of 12, +2 for Range, +2 for wind and +2 for motion, for a total of 18 to-hit. If you wish to continue to hold Ellisidil I'm fine with that. Otherwise, feel free to make a to-hit roll for this round.
Frerin
Seeker
Seeker
Journey Role: Guide

Unread post by Frerin » 11 Sep 2019, 19:23

Panting heavily after hustling into position, the dwarf looks at Ellisidil with a lopsided grin. "Oh, I'd love ta do somethin' foolish right now. But fine, we'll do it yer way." With that, he turns towards the wargs, nocks an arrow and raises his bow, waiting for them to reach a good firing distance.
Ellisidil
Apprentice
Apprentice
Journey Role: Scout (P)

Unread post by Ellisidil » 12 Sep 2019, 09:52

Out-of-Character Ellisidil pulls back his arrow and with a deep breath, lets it go at the rider on warg #3. Ellisidil thought he had adjusted for all the factors, however his arrow went far and wide completely missing the mark. He thought it might at least scare them off, but he believes that once it buried itself somewhere between the warg's and the trees, that it probably scared the ground more than anything.
(2)+(1)+(3)=6
Fieranor of Imladris
LoreMaster
LoreMaster

Unread post by Fieranor of Imladris » 12 Sep 2019, 11:49

LoreMaster Note Dan, I am legitimately sorry that your dice aren't working for you. Don't forget, you CAN roll on top of your desk (1D12 + 1D6/Rank in whatever skill you're using) if you like? There are other die rollers to use, as well. click here and scroll down to where it says Alternate Methods for Rolling Dice for Our Game.

Everyone, I will update the round in a little bit. I am presently fighting with computers and about to go to Lunch, but I intend to update everything when I return to Dad's house after. Still some work to do over here. So, give me about two hours and I should have the next round set.
Fieranor of Imladris
LoreMaster
LoreMaster

Unread post by Fieranor of Imladris » 12 Sep 2019, 14:27

The smaller Orc rider, perhaps a Goblin, rose from the ground and whistled for its mount to join it, now that it had turned around and began to snuffle for its rider; finally, finding his master, he trotted forward and waited for the short Orc to mount the saddle, and then the Goblin barked an order that made it start, back in the direction the untamed Warg pack, followed closely by his charges. Now, it was necessary to warn anyone who would listen, though it cost him the last of the blood flowing steadily from its body.

Coming entirely too close for comfort, the untamed Warg pack had also turned, smelling blood and seeing the Goblin and its companion Warg bounding off toward their home; their baying tripled as they felt their blood, spurring them into a chase. The Goblin's Warg would not be able to move as quickly with the tiny Orc on its back, and then it would join them in the small feast they were about to enjoy in this freezing and lifeless tundra; if it didn't, it would be next.

The three remaining Orc riders, lacking sense and not yet noticing their lost fourth companion, or the Goblin bounding away to seek aid, continue forth at full baying speed.
LoreMaster Note Ellisidil, you are now 58-65 feet away, which means all oncoming combatants are now at Short (+0) for you (39-68') and your Great Bow. Rearward Stance (12) +0 (Range) +2 (Motion) +2 (Wind) = 16 to-hit.

Moriel is now 59-70 feet away, meaning all coming at you are at short, same TN as Ellisidil.

Frerin is now 67-71 feet from the oncoming group, putting them at short range, same TN as Ellisidil.

Jacob, I have set Aethelwulf on a mount, as you might be able to see in Roll 20, now. Movement is done by the nose of Snowmane and I already told you how far you could move (5 with caution, 7 with penalties) each round; count the squares and don't worry about trying to move diagonally, as that costs the same 2 APs as moving laterally and then forward, or forward and then laterally.

Having just read the Mounted Combat section, this is something that's going to be pretty hard for you to do, but not impossible. Snowmane is NOT well-trained for combat, so you'll have no bonuses and no penalties. When maneuvering or charging you will use Athletics skill, which you have at Rank 3, which is good. If you fail any Athletics skill roll you will have fallen from Snowmane, and you will take damage; Snowmane will clear the battlefield at that point, returning to a rally point, in this case the tent you've been staying in. On pages 134 - 8 of the Horse-lords of Rohan book is a discussion about the characteristics of horses and how they may be applied in combat; I will attempt to get you a text copy of those pages ASAP, so you'll know what's going on, hopefully by the end of this weekend.

On pages 134-5 are some Rewards you can purchase to train Snowmane, but that MAY mean sacrificing your Fellowship Phase Undertaking to participate in that training; mount and rider working together. If one of those virtues seems to me as though it would be short enough in training, I MAY let you have another FPU.

At this point, until I can take time to get you that information, just tell me what you would like to do and I'll read and interpret the outcome of it.

- If you try to do any special maneuvers, I will have you roll Athletics at the beginning of the round.

- When trying to hit with your Sword you will use the Sword skill rather than your Athletics, which is Rank 1. For your Spear you will use that skill and you have Rank 2.

- I will not make you dismount Aethelwulf to fight in close quarters because, as I said, you and Snowmane have SOME idea how to fight from horseback, but if you step off or jump off on purpose, or if you fall, you will not have opportunity to mount Snowmane, again, unless the bad guys are all at least six squares from you.

It could be worse, and I can't wait to see you grow into your form as a true Rohirrim.

ROUND THREE, COME INTO MY PARLOR...
Moriel
Novice
Novice

Unread post by Moriel » 12 Sep 2019, 20:57

Moriel fires a shot at Orc Rider 1.
Out-of-Character 6+2+2+2+5=17. However, Moriel will use a hope point w/ deadly archery to make the hit.
Eadnes
Apprentice
Apprentice

Unread post by Eadnes » 13 Sep 2019, 14:15

Éadnes moves sightly to allow Aethelwulf a clear path for his charge. He begins to spin up his bola waiting for the creatures to come into short range.
Fieranor of Imladris
LoreMaster
LoreMaster

Unread post by Fieranor of Imladris » 14 Sep 2019, 09:18

LoreMaster Note I would like to hear what everyone else is doing before I get all happy with resolving this round, please?