To Points West...

Welcome to Middle Earth.

All current role-playing will take place, here; record or post links to your die rolls, as well as anything you feel is relevant to playing your character in our present adventure, for ease of reference. All current Out-of-Character (OOC) discussions should take place here, as well, such as Fellowship/ Company planning. Please, keep your die rolls and short OOC notes in the main game thread; you may even use an OOC note to point to a topic (insert a URL into your post) or post elsewhere in this forum, as long as it is relevant to the on-going game.

Old adventures and OOC posts will go into the proper forum category area once the new adventure and OOC thread have been established. OOC threads MAY carry over to more adventures if I deem there is not enough in the current thread to separate it from a new OOC thread.
User avatar
Fieranor of Imladris
LoreMaster
LoreMaster
Posts: 2356
Joined: 07 Jul 2015, 19:46
Melee APs: 4
Stealth APs: 4
Location: Rivendell, Valley of Imladris
Contact:

To Points West...

Unread post by Fieranor of Imladris » 16 Aug 2019, 15:55

early-Morning, 18 March 2947, Waking in the Village of Strandburg
After your Company left the Mead Hall the previous evening, or perhaps it was early morning, you were all able to retire with ease to the Inn where Mister Baileywick was waiting to close and lock the door for the night. He was somewhat inebriated, himself, but greeted you all in his typical bold style, then excused himself to go to his bed, wishing you all good night.

A bright morning has come, showing the cracks between the slats holding this building together, though it is still warm in the tavern and tables area of the Inn. All except Artorius were allowed to sleep soundly within the Inn, though the Ranger may join you all for breakfast before it would be time to secure all of your things and get on the road. Thegn Bryni is not awake, nor is much of the town and, perhaps, that's how each of you would prefer it, with as little fanfare as possible. Baileywick seems to be on top of things and already has much food prepared; indeed, a certain Hobbit and, perhaps, some others likely were awakened not by the sunshine, glaring into the Inn, but by the smell of freshly baking bread, still hot when it is sliced by a VERY sharp knife and brought to your table, along with a small assortment of jellies and home-churned butter, bordering on the consistency of creme.

Even by the time you are finished with your morning ablutions, breakfast, packing, and are ready to head off out of town, there are perhaps three or four residents of Strandburg out on the street to wave you off to your furthering adventures.

The sun shines brightly all day, but the temperatures do not warm much, especially since you're going further North as the day continues. What you see is greatly the same as what you saw prior to coming into Strandburg, fields of white broken by rock outcroppings and small copses of trees throughout. Indeed, by nightfall of the first day out of Strandburg you find a lovely group of trees that acts as a decent windbreak against the winds howling down from the Heath suddenly; you're finding fewer hills between you and your next target, Edric's Town, thus the wind is less forgiving. A fire readily lights up the night and, with the closeness of the trees, provides more warmth than one might expect. Hunting proves to be a bit more scarce than points further South, but Aethelwulf is still able to more than adequately provide provisions through his hunting prowess.

The second night it's not so easy to find a place to rest, though you find a gully on the leeward side of a hill that helps redirect much of the nasty howling wind and the snow that begins to fall as the sun finds a home in the Misty Mountains to the West and darkness ravages the land. From provisions taken before and since Strandburg and those things brought before leaving Dale and through the village, you have well more than enough provision for the night. You set your watches and hunker down for the best sleep you can hope for, which will invariably leave you exhausted for the night. Artorius, of course, camps away from the rest of you for the sake of keeping a decent ear out for possible intruders and for the sake of his privacy. Some of you have been observant enough to notice he is somewhat out-of-sorts, but there's no pinning down what any malady might be...

In the very early morning hours, as the moon glistens upon the snow, you catch on the howling wind a howling of another kind, and it is not from one source but from many...
LoreMaster Note It is clear enough that ALL of you hear these yips and noises, and to awaken you if you were able to find rest at all; however, telling where it is emitting from, both direction and distance, is going to be nearly impossible. What do you do?
User avatar
Glirion
Novice
Novice
Posts: 18
Joined: 29 Dec 2018, 13:55
Melee APs: 4
Stealth APs: 4

Re: To Points West...

Unread post by Glirion » 16 Aug 2019, 16:00

I will help each with their tasks of preparation, though I conspicuously leave my own things alone. If asked why I am not preparing to leave, I will explain,

"I have found my next great adventure, here, my friend." If there are a few around, or all, I'll call them friends, plural. "There is a young woman, here, Anna, the lady watchman you met, yesterday, who has taken a romance with me and I intend to remain here with her, to whatever end. As well, Ellisidil has spoken with me about his theory concerning the Thegn, and I believe I can engage him and help move this little hamlet forward.

"I do not know if I shall join you, again, but you have been fair companions these past days and I am grateful for your counsel and your patience," I'll smile broadly at this last word.

I see you all through Strandburg and to the gate leading to the Northern road, waving at you often until you are out of sight.
______________________________
Glirion • Barding • Scholar
Hero Stat RecordJournalSpecial Characters
User avatar
Moriel
Novice
Novice
Posts: 115
Joined: 28 Dec 2018, 12:36
Melee APs: 4
Stealth APs: 4
Journey Role: Look-out (S)

Re: To Points West...

Unread post by Moriel » 16 Aug 2019, 20:28

Moriel always has her bow close at hand and knocks up an arrow immediately after hearing the howling noises. Holding the readied bow in one hand, she finishes eating with the other.
______________________________
Moriel • Wayward Elf of Mirkwood • Scholar
Hero Stat RecordJournalSpecial Characters
User avatar
Eadnes
Apprentice
Apprentice
Posts: 539
Joined: 29 Jul 2016, 13:27
Melee APs: 6
Stealth APs: 8
Journey Role: Scout (S)

Re: To Points West...

Unread post by Eadnes » 17 Aug 2019, 06:38

Waking to the sounds of beasts Éadnes quickly readys himself. Moving quickly he scans the gully looking for areas that can be climbed.

'Most likely wolves, depending on the size of the pack we should ensure they cannot approach us from all sides.'

Looking to the horses, he tries to judge if the horses can be placed away from danger with the company able to defend.

'If we do not wish our provisions to bolt, we should ensure the horses are well tethered and away from any beasts that will cause them to panic.'

Touching the sides of the gully and stretching forth his senses to determine how much time they have and whether there is anything of use in the terrain, Éadnes hopes Artorius is not found alone by these beasts.
Out-of-Character Awareness 14, Battle 13, Insight 25 with the old Gandalf rune. Basically trying to work out what we may be facing, how close they are and whether there is a place we can defend.
______________________________
Éadnes Andwiltan • Elf of Mirkwood • Scholar
Hero Stat RecordJournalSpecial Characters
User avatar
Frerin
Seeker
Seeker
Posts: 459
Joined: 11 May 2016, 15:43
Melee APs: 4
Stealth APs: 4
Journey Role: Guide

Re: To Points West...

Unread post by Frerin » 17 Aug 2019, 07:11

Frerin nods understandingly as Glirion announces his intention to remain behind, and pats the young man on the arm. "A worthy task ya've taken on - though we'll miss ya, an' it may 'ave its own perils. Thegn Bryni 'as done good things in th' past, an' I believe with th' right counsel, he could do so again. May th' Maker aid ya, Glirion."

As he is awakened by the howling in the fellowship's camp, two days later, the dwarf is up in an instant, first reaching for his arms, and then going to make sure the horses are tethered firmly and in a proper place, as Eadnes suggested. "Aye. Sounds like wolves alright, an' not a small pack. They may need some convincin' we're nae an easy meal."
______________________________
Frerin, Son of Óin • Dwarf of Erebor • Treasure-hunter
Hero Stat RecordJournalSpecial Characters
User avatar
Artorius
Seeker
Seeker
Posts: 316
Joined: 26 Jul 2016, 17:27
Melee APs: 4
Stealth APs: 4
Journey Role: Look-out (P)

Re: To Points West...

Unread post by Artorius » 18 Aug 2019, 01:06

Welcomed by the bright morning Sun, Artorius returns to the town feeling a little fatigued but happy the night was silent. He spent his time singing songs quietly to himself and sharpening his blade. Once back with the group, he eats a large meal, packs everything up and bids farewell to Glirion with words of encouragement and hope for the future, along with a suggestion he stays in Bryni's good books and mayhaps he can convince the lord to track down these Black Arrows.

After a couple of strategic rests when the group was not on the move the Ranger was back on form. He spent most of the time when the group was cooking and working on their own activites restocking his herb container and searching for suitable leaf for his pipe. Also he had taken to keeping watch with some distance from the group, advising his attention was improved when up higher and he could easily keep an eye on all of the camp surroundings. The others may begin to suspected other reasons for this but he was unsure how to tell them yet, hopefully no one was that curious yet.

The howling at first sounded like the wind that had been his background cries for most of the journey, but after noticing the pitch and length was ever changing Artorius roused himself from his short day dream and realised this was not the North Wind. Stamping out his little fire and tosses his leftovers far from him, the old Ranger armed himself with his blade. Fortunately most of his gear was easily packed but he did not have time to pack away some of the more recent herbs he had found which would of helped with cuts. Nevertheless he needed to return to the group and though he was only a kilometer or so away the snow made the path more perilous and would double the time it took to get back. He could barely see their fire and hear there voices of concern but did not rush knowing to stay as downwind as he could predict where most of the pack would be. Should they find him alone, he didn't count his chance of survival high. The winds howling grew as so did the creatures.
Last edited by Artorius on 20 Aug 2019, 13:37, edited 1 time in total.
______________________________
Arphenion "Artorius" Annunion • Ranger of the North • Scholar
Hero Stat RecordJournalSpecial Characters
User avatar
Eadnes
Apprentice
Apprentice
Posts: 539
Joined: 29 Jul 2016, 13:27
Melee APs: 6
Stealth APs: 8
Journey Role: Scout (S)

Re: To Points West...

Unread post by Eadnes » 18 Aug 2019, 03:47

'Indeed Frerin. Food will be scarce for these creatures and I doubt they will ignore our scent picked up in the wind. they will investigate at the least.'

Moving quickly to secure the animals and choosing a defensive position he begins to rekindle the fire.

'I suggest we place the animals closest to the gully wall and move the fire to become part of our defense. The more wood we have ablaze the more we can throw at these creatures. They may not be starved and no creature wishes to perish in fire. It may be enough to scare them off to easier prey. It will also help Artorius see where we are.'

Quickly there is a blaze going and Éadnes places flotsam in the fire, easy to grab and throw.

'And if these creature pass us by, then I guess we will have a bigger breakfast!' he laughs.

Busying himself he arranges rock and other missiles around him. The howling on the wind continues and his mind turns to Artorius. He looks across the whiteness, arrive quickly or find a hole to hide in my friend he thinks before continuing his preparations.
______________________________
Éadnes Andwiltan • Elf of Mirkwood • Scholar
Hero Stat RecordJournalSpecial Characters
User avatar
Fieranor of Imladris
LoreMaster
LoreMaster
Posts: 2356
Joined: 07 Jul 2015, 19:46
Melee APs: 4
Stealth APs: 4
Location: Rivendell, Valley of Imladris
Contact:

Re: To Points West...

Unread post by Fieranor of Imladris » 19 Aug 2019, 14:23

Eadnes wrote:
17 Aug 2019, 06:38
Waking to the sounds of beasts Éadnes quickly readys himself. Moving quickly he scans the gully looking for areas that can be climbed.
LoreMaster Note There's a hill you're all using as part of your wind-break that stands a good thirty-forty feet high, with a rock outcropping atop it, right next to the gully you've taken camp in ALSO as a part of the windbreak.
 
'Most likely wolves, depending on the size of the pack we should ensure they cannot approach us from all sides.'
LoreMaster Note The sound is a bit more strident than wolves.
 
Looking to the horses, he tries to judge if the horses can be placed away from danger with the company able to defend.

'If we do not wish our provisions to bolt, we should ensure the horses are well tethered and away from any beasts that will cause them to panic.'

Touching the sides of the gully and stretching forth his senses to determine how much time they have and whether there is anything of use in the terrain, Éadnes hopes Artorius is not found alone by these beasts.
The land is slow to respond, but respond it does,

"Ye haven't the time to make safe the beasts of burden, but do have time to come and observe."
 
Frerin wrote:
17 Aug 2019, 07:11
As he is awakened by the howling in the fellowship's camp, two days later, the dwarf is up in an instant, first reaching for his arms, and then going to make sure the horses are tethered firmly and in a proper place, as Eadnes suggested. "Aye. Sounds like wolves alright, an' not a small pack. They may need some convincin' we're nae an easy meal."
 
Eadnes wrote:
Out-of-Character Awareness 14, Battle 13, Insight 25 with the old Gandalf rune. Basically trying to work out what we may be facing, how close they are and whether there is a place we can defend.
LoreMaster Note Unfortunately, Insight is not going to help you at all. As for the other two skills rolls, that's a nice roll for both Awareness and Insight, but Awareness at least let's you know there's a hillock right next to you. I suppose the Insight roll is good enough to tell you that you're likely hearing Wargs from outside the Withered Heath and, as you listen a little harder, it sounds like a half-dozen of them.
 
Artorius wrote:
18 Aug 2019, 01:06
He spent most of the time when the group was cooking and working on their own activites restocking his herb container and searching for suitable leaf for his pipe.
LoreMaster Note I'm afraid that, in the ice and snow-covered land you're working with, here, you're very UNLIKELY to find anything, though it would be well-preserved if you could. If you would like to try, I'm thinking finding the herbs you're looking for and then extracting them without also destroying them would take a Search roll for EACH herb you're looking to replenish with a Target Number of 20. I'll give you a High-low Success Die for each roll, due to your Herb Lore; with a Search of Rank 1, you'll actually roll two Success dice and drop the lower of the two numbers. Rolling a Image may or may not mean an automatic success; I'll need to read the herb, first, to determine what I will do. Rolling a Image + Image will be an automatic success. Rolling a Image means you not only fail at finding an herb, but you've also triggered a potential hazard. If you roll a second Image after the first, your herb-finding expedition is done for the time being. And you will have triggered a second potential hazard.

If you roll a success, you will have found enough for use during one adventure; if it's not used during THIS adventure, you get one more adventure before the herbs go bad on you and you have to replace them. Fair enough?

Here's a guide made by a friend of mine from the LoreMaster's Guild on Facebook. Please read through the herbs and name which one's you would like to collect; I'm thinking three herbs for a start and, if you roll extremely well to find one, you might be able to have time for another one.
The Journey by Travis Fleming.pdf
 
Stamping out his little fire and tosses his leftovers far from him...
LoreMaster Note Okay, we're going to hold this part a little bit in reserve as everyone else in the camp works to ready themselves; it counts and I like it, but I also need to find out what everyone else is doing. :)
 
Eadnes wrote:
18 Aug 2019, 03:47
'Indeed Frerin. Food will be scarce for these creatures and I doubt they will ignore our scent picked up in the wind. they will investigate at the least.'
LoreMaster Note Fortunately, the wind is howling from the North, which is the only way you were able to hear their cries. If they have picked up the scent of the Company, they would have to have beyond extraordinary sense.
 
Moving quickly to secure the animals and choosing a defensive position he begins to rekindle the fire.
LoreMaster Note Gang, I may have to slow this down a bit, myself, to allow each of you to sort of catch up, and for me a map so you can see where you are, if nothing else.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
User avatar
Ellisidil
Apprentice
Apprentice
Posts: 616
Joined: 28 Jul 2015, 19:48
Melee APs: 4
Stealth APs: 4
Journey Role: Scout (P)

Re: To Points West...

Unread post by Ellisidil » 19 Aug 2019, 20:05

Ellisidil helps Eadnes build the fire up as he gets set up. He speaks to everyone around. “Aethelwulf and Roscoe, Please set up just in front of our mounts and sing to them as best you can to keep them soothed. If need be, drop the supplies and ride save the mounts and come back.”
______________________________
Ellisidil “The Eagle” • Woodman of Rhosgobel • Warden
Hero Stat RecordJournalSpecial Characters
User avatar
Moriel
Novice
Novice
Posts: 115
Joined: 28 Dec 2018, 12:36
Melee APs: 4
Stealth APs: 4
Journey Role: Look-out (S)

Re: To Points West...

Unread post by Moriel » 19 Aug 2019, 21:34

Moriel keeps her armed bow in one hand and helps build up the fire with the other.
Out-of-Character Roll Awareness: 18; Roll Insight: 8. Moriel needs to know if she recognizes the cries as Whargs and how far away they may be. She would like to give the others an insight into what they are facing in case they've not fought them before.
______________________________
Moriel • Wayward Elf of Mirkwood • Scholar
Hero Stat RecordJournalSpecial Characters
User avatar
Artorius
Seeker
Seeker
Posts: 316
Joined: 26 Jul 2016, 17:27
Melee APs: 4
Stealth APs: 4
Journey Role: Look-out (P)

Re: To Points West...

Unread post by Artorius » 20 Aug 2019, 13:35

Out-of-Character 10+6 = 16 on search. I then roll a 6 and maybe I can find some Winter-End? Also, if I am jumping a head to much then assume this has not happened until it fits in the story.
The snowy winds seemed to feel even colder with wolvish cries on them, and it bit at his face as he fought his way through the gale. It was a challenge to see into the near distance with the snow swirling around and the wind shifting his stride through the knee deep drifts. But then in the distance the Fellowships camps flame grew bright and strong and Artorius thanked Manwë for keeping his winds from affecting the flames. As the fire grew in strength, so did Artorius' will and he doubled his efforts to reach the camp. Although never yet revealed to folk outside of his own people, the Ranger kept the old gods and he called for their assistance this day.
______________________________
Arphenion "Artorius" Annunion • Ranger of the North • Scholar
Hero Stat RecordJournalSpecial Characters
User avatar
Eadnes
Apprentice
Apprentice
Posts: 539
Joined: 29 Jul 2016, 13:27
Melee APs: 6
Stealth APs: 8
Journey Role: Scout (S)

Re: To Points West...

Unread post by Eadnes » 20 Aug 2019, 14:12

Hearing that these are Wargs, Éadnes calls to those closest, 'The howls seem clearer now and I have heard these sounds before, not wolves but Wargs.'

Leaving the animals to Aethelwulf and Roscoe he moves to where he senses he can observe these creatures without being seen. It appears the company are downwind and in this weather, Éadnes believes undiscovered as yet. He tries to spot Artorius.
______________________________
Éadnes Andwiltan • Elf of Mirkwood • Scholar
Hero Stat RecordJournalSpecial Characters
User avatar
Fieranor of Imladris
LoreMaster
LoreMaster
Posts: 2356
Joined: 07 Jul 2015, 19:46
Melee APs: 4
Stealth APs: 4
Location: Rivendell, Valley of Imladris
Contact:

Re: To Points West...

Unread post by Fieranor of Imladris » 20 Aug 2019, 17:35

Eadnes wrote:
18 Aug 2019, 03:47
Quickly there is a blaze going and Éadnes places flotsam in the fire, easy to grab and throw.
 
Ellisidil wrote:
19 Aug 2019, 20:05
Ellisidil helps Eadnes build the fire up as he gets set up.
 
Moriel wrote:
19 Aug 2019, 21:34
Moriel keeps her armed bow in one hand and helps build up the fire with the other.
Out-of-Character Roll Awareness: 18; Roll Insight: 8. Moriel needs to know if she recognizes the cries as Wargs and how far away they may be. She would like to give the others an insight into what they are facing in case they've not fought them before.
LoreMaster Note Moriel, did you have any specials on your Awareness roll?
 
You are unable to tell, just from the sounds in the night, whether these are just large wolves, or Wargs. In your four-hundred-twenty years you've certainly heard Wargs within Mirkwood and along the Anduin River Vales, but these strangled cries are in another season and under much different conditions.

Éadnes and Moriel hear, above the howling of the wind from the North, alarmed voices over the barking and excited squealing you've been hearing for the past half-minute. The hillock to your West and North stands thirty to forty feet in height, you would guess and, though snow blows hard from the crown of it...
 
Artorius wrote:
20 Aug 2019, 13:35
Out-of-Character 10+6 = 16 on search. I then roll a 6 and maybe I can find some Winter-End? Also, if I am jumping a head to much then assume this has not happened until it fits in the story.
LoreMaster Note VERY nice roll... since Winter-end sticks up through the snow near the end of Winter, which is exactly where you're at, now, I'll allow the roll and enough of the herb to go around for the entire Company, including the Horses. For everyone...

Winter-end
This little white flower appears before Winter is gone and can sometimes be found growing up out of melting snow. It is said the give the joy of Spring to the heart of those who carry it on them. You treat all skills marked as Custom as if they were favored until Spring is officially arrived.
 
Eadnes wrote:
20 Aug 2019, 14:12
...Éadnes believes undiscovered as yet. He tries to spot Artorius.
The snow is blowing from the plains in a Southerly direction, but it is not all that thick, sticking mostly to the ground and below your knees. It is NOT snowing, the night above is fairly clear. The sounds of the voices on the wind grow louder for a moment, then the wind shifts, again and all you can hear are the cries of the Wargs, though faint still.
User avatar
Ellisidil
Apprentice
Apprentice
Posts: 616
Joined: 28 Jul 2015, 19:48
Melee APs: 4
Stealth APs: 4
Journey Role: Scout (P)

Re: To Points West...

Unread post by Ellisidil » 20 Aug 2019, 19:00

Out-of-Character Insight roll (7)+(3)= 10
______________________________
Ellisidil “The Eagle” • Woodman of Rhosgobel • Warden
Hero Stat RecordJournalSpecial Characters
User avatar
Fieranor of Imladris
LoreMaster
LoreMaster
Posts: 2356
Joined: 07 Jul 2015, 19:46
Melee APs: 4
Stealth APs: 4
Location: Rivendell, Valley of Imladris
Contact:

Re: To Points West...

Unread post by Fieranor of Imladris » 20 Aug 2019, 19:54

Ellisidil wrote:
20 Aug 2019, 19:00
Out-of-Character Insight roll (7)+(3)= 10
You feel as though you're missing something, but you can't put your finger on it.
LoreMaster Note Would you like to expend a point of Hope?
Post Reply