OOC Thread: A Small Task for Radagast

Welcome to Middle Earth.

All current role-playing will take place, here; record or post links to your die rolls, as well as anything you feel is relevant to playing your character in our present adventure, for ease of reference. All current Out-of-Character (OOC) discussions should take place here, as well, such as Fellowship/ Company planning. Please, keep your die rolls and short OOC notes in the main game thread; you may even use an OOC note to point to a topic (insert a URL into your post) or post elsewhere in this forum, as long as it is relevant to the on-going game.

Old adventures and OOC posts will go into the proper forum category area once the new adventure and OOC thread have been established. OOC threads MAY carry over to more adventures if I deem there is not enough in the current thread to separate it from a new OOC thread.
Ellisidil
Apprentice
Apprentice
Melee APs: 4
Stealth APs: 4
Journey Role: Scout (P)

Re: OOC Thread: A Small Task for Radagast

Unread post by Ellisidil » 11 Oct 2019, 16:34

No negative feedback from me. I would like to do something to distract me from monotony
Fieranor of Imladris
LoreMaster
LoreMaster

Unread post by Fieranor of Imladris » 11 Oct 2019, 17:39

Excellent! I would definitely love to hear from more of you, my friends.
Frerin
Apprentice
Apprentice
Journey Role: Guide

Unread post by Frerin » 11 Oct 2019, 19:42

My best wishes for Sarah to get better soon - and no complaints from me, trying out new things is good!
Lothíriel
Novice
Novice

Unread post by Lothíriel » 11 Oct 2019, 21:54

I'm game if schedules permit. I haven't played any Torg in years.
Fieranor of Imladris
LoreMaster
LoreMaster

Unread post by Fieranor of Imladris » 11 Oct 2019, 23:22

If I were to run it, Torg would replace The One Ring game we're playing ONLY until the one-shot is complete.

I want everyone who is worried about Torg replacing this one, that IS NOT the idea, at all... only a break from TOR for the short term. Breaking a game as in-depth as The One Ring with something completely different, and definitely not as in-depth, at least story-wise, as our present game, can keep us all together, keep us focused on getting back to the campaign for TOR, and allow a good laugh and some different excitement than TOR presently allows. We've begun to lose focus in the game -can any of you tell me what the goal of the present adventure is? How it started? What you were instructed to do on completion? Perhaps breaking off for a short bit can help clear the pallet, like a cracker between wine-tasting glasses.
Eadnes
Apprentice
Apprentice
Melee APs: 7
Stealth APs: 8
Journey Role: Scout (S)

Unread post by Eadnes » 12 Oct 2019, 01:57

Well I hope Sarah is better now. I have no idea regarding how to play Torg or what its mythos is. Happy to give it a go as long as you are happy with questions.
Fieranor of Imladris
LoreMaster
LoreMaster

Unread post by Fieranor of Imladris » 12 Oct 2019, 12:14

Sarah IS much better today, though still worn out. I'm hoping that, now, she will be willing to jump on and do some reading, so she can catch up. It's funny that someone always gets sick RIGHT as I'm working a transition from one game session to the next, LOL.

The mythos of Torg is actually fairly simple. Imagine today's Earth, but a more Hollywood cinematic version of it. In the game OUR cinematic reality is referred to as Core Earth. Now, imagine a series of alternate, or more focused genre realities invading our Earth by using various versions of cross-dimensional reality devices known as maelstrom bridges. Over the course of the first month of the war, nearly two-dozen of these bridges have fallen, transporting not only the reality of the invading cosm, but whole armies of soldiers and creatures of all manner of abilities and skills, taking nearly two-thirds of Core Earth's population, through death or transformation.

When each of the varied realities hit in various places on Earth, they imposed those realities over our own; closer to the Maelstrom bridge their reality is strongest, but as you get further away from the bridge, their solid reality eventually turns into an odd mix of their reality and that of Core Earth. Further out still and Core Earth's reality is restored. The boundaries between realities occur in these mixed areas and form a wall that may be yards wide all the way up to one-hundred miles wide, though typically they're only a few hundred yards. When the alternate realities hit Core Earth, they were immediately able to obliterate that zone of Core Earth, sending a wave of reality destruction to the limit of the invader's energy. Though a very high portion of any invading army are loyal to that reality and will remain evil in its service, the tiny remainder are Storm Knights who come to our Core Earth by various means and vow to fight FOR our Core Earth, against their home cosm/reality.

In a very high portion of the former Core Earth population, many die from the energy surge, others convert over to the new reality instantaneously, others remain Core Earth but can begin to change at any time, uncontrolled, and then there are those who are strongest in spirit, intelligence, bodily strength, etc., non-typical people, non-Ords, who face what's known as a moment of crisis, where they must make a decision about whether they will remain an Ord or become what the High Lords -the invader's masters- call stormers, and for which reality. Those who become stormers and decide to fight for our Earth, regardless of their chosen reality, have coined a term for themselves, Storm Knights! This is what you and your fellow Players will play. When I say chosen reality, it's because you as the Player will get to select what reality your character comes from.

This is the war for the cosmverse, which the writers of the game based off of String Theory, which posits there are an endless number of universes and the actions of an individual, an army, a government, a nation can break one of these strings in twain with their actions; one strong carries on with the original reality and another string carries on with the change in reality. Every Storm Knight and Stormer -those who serve the High Lords- is filled with energy that allows them to control their environment and their own bodies in limited, but extraordinary ways; this is called Possibility Energy, or just Possibilities. The name of the original game was Torg: Role-Playing the Possibility Wars. As a Storm Knight, you resist the machinations of the High Lords and attempt to figure out ways, perform great feats, etc., to repel these alternate realities from our Earth. Each of these realities comes from an alternate version of Earth and they have already conquered Earth so many times throughout the cosmverse and built their store of Possibility Energy, but they keep going because of one goal...

the collection of enough Possibility Energy to become the Torg, the most powerful being in the universe.

Here are the various realities you, as Players, both have access to and must battle against...

Aysle ~ The fantasy reality. This would be a mixture of pretty much any fantasy role-playing game, movie or television show you could think of, with Vikings, Pirates, Giants, Elves, Dwarves, etc. in various types of kick-assery, including useful magic.

The Cyberpapacy ~ The last Earth Pope Jean Malraux invaded and conquered he renamed Magna Verita and it was a true version of The Holy Land as more or less a cross of the Crusades and the Spanish Inquisition. Something extraordinary and horrible happened when he crossed his Maelstrom Bridge to our Core Earth, this time, he was faced off with an adversary that had repelled him, before, and cyber-technology was introduced to him, to where he became the Cyberpope. Thus, a mixture of the world of Bladerunner, Cyberpunk, and Shadowrun has been added to the Inquisition and the Crusades, pumping technology beyond anything we know on Earth, and Malraux instantly knew how to use it all against heretics.

The Living Land ~ Have you ever seen Land of the Lost? Imagine dinosaurs roaming an Earth infested with all manner of rain forest-like terrain, and run by a Lizard madman known as Baruk Kaah. Don't drop anything on the ground, it will rot away in minutes; your enemies, too, reclaimed by the jungle before you know it. Imagine a pre-historic Indiana Jones and you've pretty much got this reality.

The Nile Empire ~ The insane Doctor Mobius is the biggest super-villain, and the High Lord, of The Tenth Empire of the Nile. Old-timey bobbies go up against evil pulp supers and gangsters in the clubs of the late-20s to early 40s. Storm Knights seek out evil for the sake of defeating it, but you never know -even if you track the body from death to cremation, never leaving its side- if your enemy will make their journey to see you, again.

Orrorsh ~ The Horror realm and home to Lord Byron Salisbury, also known widely as The Gaunt Man, the most powerful of the High Lords, though all of them trail closely in their stores of Possibility Energy. If anyone could be counted as the ring-leader of the invasion of Core Earth, it's The Gaunt Man. His horrors and the occult magic and means used throughout his realm are also seen throughout the realms of the other High Lords, as well.

Pan-Pacifica ~ This is the non-reality reality, snuck in private to our Earth where the armies of Asia, especially what we would call Japan, took over very silently, swiftly but quietly raising the technology levels of that area and collecting Possibility energy in such subtle amounts that no reality is suspected of existing, there. Unfortunately, a recent virus turns people into what are termed hopping vampires, aka zombies. A cure has been created to stop the outbreak of the Jiangshi, but it is, at best, a slow process to stop them.

Tharkold ~ This is the reality of hell on Earth, a mixture of the Doom video game franchise and Hellraiser, with a touch of Tracers. The Demons (Tharkoldu) and The Race (Humans) are mortal enemies, so you could throw in a touch of The Terminator, as well, with Tharkoldu working to destroy Humanity at any cost.

There is a much deeper creation myth that allows for all of this to be a reality -pun intended, hehe- but I'm not intent to get into that, here. Now, the basics of the game...

For any and all skill checks you roll 1D20, exploding on 10s and 20s for most rolls, though there are also limitations and boons to be had to how the dice are rolled, the roll total, and the generated total, and then bonuses and penalties to make successes or failures. It's a very fluid and, not non-complex system, but fortunately I take care of the lion's share of the math, hehe. There are various ways the game can be played and, though they've changed almost everything for the better from the original Torg, they have NOT changed everything for the better. More on that if we get deeper with the game.
Eadnes
Apprentice
Apprentice
Melee APs: 7
Stealth APs: 8
Journey Role: Scout (S)

Unread post by Eadnes » 12 Oct 2019, 13:14

OK. Happy to be a Storm Knight even though it sounds like I'm playing a car called Kit.
Artorius
Seeker
Seeker
Journey Role: Look-out (P)

Unread post by Artorius » 12 Oct 2019, 14:02

I apologise, but I would pass on another game but it is not anything to do with any of you, but moreso of not being able to devote time to it.
Fieranor of Imladris
LoreMaster
LoreMaster

Unread post by Fieranor of Imladris » 12 Oct 2019, 18:27

Eadnes wrote:
12 Oct 2019, 13:14
OK. Happy to be a Storm Knight even though it sounds like I'm playing a car called Kit.
Knight Industries Two-Thousand (KITT). LOL.
Artorius wrote:
12 Oct 2019, 14:02
I apologise, but I would pass on another game but it is not anything to do with any of you, but moreso of not being able to devote time to it.
Okay, you didn't read everything... I get that. It wouldn't take any more time, or a different time slot, than what you already use for The One Ring. It would be used for a break between adventures of The One Ring. The idea is to keep your interest here, so you don't go and replace this long-term game with yet another, when we're definitely coming back to this one. There's so much to do in Middle-earth, I'm not sure I could give it up, now, if I tried; however, there have been so many times, recently, when several of you have all but forgotten the purpose of the game, the adventure, etc., so I thought breaking up any monotony there might be could prove to be useful.

Also, for purposes of the one-shot, so we're not spending a month or more making new characters, I will simply provide them in Roll 20, outline them on this forum, and each of you can select one to go with. If you like the character by the end of the one-shot, I'll set it aside as belonging to you, so if we ever do another one-shot you'll be ready to go. If not, but you'd be willing to play again, down the road,

For everyone, I know I said I would get your individual character updates posted in your threads, and I do intend to do that. I just have to determine if it will be tonight or tomorrow.
Moriel
Novice
Novice
Journey Role: Look-out (S)

Unread post by Moriel » 12 Oct 2019, 18:52

Thanks for all the get well wishes, everyone. I'm feeling MUCH better. I spent all night Thursday and all day Friday in bed, so guess I really needed the rest.
Now, to try and read everything and get caught up. :)
Fieranor of Imladris
LoreMaster
LoreMaster

Unread post by Fieranor of Imladris » 12 Oct 2019, 19:00

Welcome back, my love. I'm happy you're feeling much better, as well, and I apologize there's so much to get through all of a sudden. Hehe, we hit certain story high-points and EVERYONE gets in and role-plays the pieces out of it. That, of course, makes me smile big-league, hehe, and I love reading what everyone's writing. No reason to interfere when it's that good :D
Lothíriel
Novice
Novice

Unread post by Lothíriel » 12 Oct 2019, 19:39

I'm happy to be involved in the story and interacting with the party.
Artorius
Seeker
Seeker
Journey Role: Look-out (P)

Unread post by Artorius » 13 Oct 2019, 00:34

I get what you are saying Paul and I know you are great at breaking down rules and introducing players into games they have no experience with but I personally would not wish to be involved in that game. I am happy to stay in Middle Earth as I kinda know how I should play here and if that means waiting then I am good at that, as we saw recently. So apologies to you and to the others once again but I do not wish to be a player on the TORG system game.
Fieranor of Imladris
LoreMaster
LoreMaster

Unread post by Fieranor of Imladris » 13 Oct 2019, 18:29

Okay, no worries.

EDIT (2130 on 10/13/19): My friends, I am about to begin inputting your experience and what you can spend it on. I want you to keep in mind that, typically, you don't get to spend Experience Points until the Fellowship Phase. I can find no reason to keep that restriction on you, though the other steps of the Fellowship Phase will remain intact for that time between Adventure Phases. This means I am going to recommend to you that you only spend the experience if you absolutely need to, which includes times not only between adventure sessions, such as the recent changeover from To Points West... and Into the Grey Mountains Narrows, but pretty much any time you feel as though your Player-hero will need it. I leave it to each of you how you want to spend your experience, but keep in mind that time between adventures, as well, please?

Alright, and here we go.