A Small Task for Radagast

Welcome to Middle Earth.

All current role-playing will take place, here; record or post links to your die rolls, as well as anything you feel is relevant to playing your character in our present adventure, for ease of reference. All current Out-of-Character (OOC) discussions should take place here, as well, such as Fellowship/ Company planning. Please, keep your die rolls and short OOC notes in the main game thread; you may even use an OOC note to point to a topic (insert a URL into your post) or post elsewhere in this forum, as long as it is relevant to the on-going game.

Old adventures and OOC posts will go into the proper forum category area once the new adventure and OOC thread have been established. OOC threads MAY carry over to more adventures if I deem there is not enough in the current thread to separate it from a new OOC thread.
Fieranor of Imladris
LoreMaster
LoreMaster
Melee APs: 4
Stealth APs: 4

Re: A Small Task for Radagast

Unread post by Fieranor of Imladris » 07 Aug 2019, 17:18

Frerin wrote:
07 Aug 2019, 14:03
Out-of-Character 5 gold sounds pretty good, let's make it that!
LoreMaster Note Alright, it's going to take away from your Treasure, but will be listed properly on your sheet. I intend to upload sheets on Friday, so it's not going to appear immediately, but rest assured it's there.
Moriel
Novice
Novice
Journey Role: Look-out (S)

Unread post by Moriel » 07 Aug 2019, 20:36

Fieranor of Imladris wrote:
07 Aug 2019, 12:39
Moriel wrote:
06 Aug 2019, 19:37
Out-of-Character Awareness rolls
LoreMaster Note You didn't give me anything specific to look at, so "anything out of place in the town" could be how folk here are keeping and tending their livestock or the fact there are no obvious farms, as far as you can see. Perhaps it could be the fact there are ONLY Humans in town. What else could you be looking for?

Out-of-Character I'm finding it odd that I see no obvious farms in a village this size.It is odd because most villages have at least something of a local food supply, whether it be plants or animals.

Eadnes wrote:
07 Aug 2019, 02:24
'What do you think? He is likely to say no but it may prove a fruitful conversation if it can be kept between Ellisidil and Bryni.'

"I agree that having a known drunk within our group would be more of a detriment than a help. We never know when we'll be called to fight off bandits or monsters and we have to be constantly vigilant."
Eadnes
Apprentice
Apprentice
Melee APs: 6
Stealth APs: 8
Journey Role: Scout (S)

Unread post by Eadnes » 08 Aug 2019, 03:04

'Yes, perhaps Bryni coming with us would be more of a hindrance than we need, but I like the idea of discussing the need to protect his lands against the Black Arrow. It would be useful if he started small patrols, it may aid us in a time of need and be of service to his town... and Bard'

Éadnes remains thoughtful joining in the conversation as the group prepare for the feast.

'Still, if we are not to recruit this man, I suggest not discussing how close we are going to the Withered Heath. The town has been destroyed by one dragon. Rumour starts quickly and the idea of a dwarf going north may place an unjust fear in the hearts of the townsfolk.'

Pausing before continuing with a different thread of thought Éadnes almost hesitates in saying.

'Do we still feel suspicious here? I wonder why so few guards? Perhaps some of our group should not drink more than the toast? We can say we have an early start, although no swordsman, I intend to consume lightly.'
Frerin
Seeker
Seeker
Journey Role: Guide

Unread post by Frerin » 08 Aug 2019, 03:23

"I honestly dinnae expect any mischief here." Frerin responds to Eadnes' question. "Thegn Bryni seems like a good man, from all I've heard. 'e may 'ave lost 'is way, but I reckon 'es still a long way 'bove robbin' travelers. If there's any trouble 'ere, I feel it's far more likely ta stem from careless words an' aggrieved pride rather than greed an' evil intent."
Aethelwulf
Novice
Novice
Journey Role: Hunter (P)

Unread post by Aethelwulf » 08 Aug 2019, 10:13

"Bryni does indeed seem like a good man, but I just can't place it why this place doesn't feel right."
Fieranor of Imladris
LoreMaster
LoreMaster

Unread post by Fieranor of Imladris » 09 Aug 2019, 11:50

LoreMaster Note Good start, Jacob. I look forward to reading more. Update late tonight, my time, or early tomorrow :)
Fieranor of Imladris
LoreMaster
LoreMaster

Unread post by Fieranor of Imladris » 09 Aug 2019, 22:25

When approaching the Mead Hall, you can see light from within shining from high windows and from behind the opened doors. Though out in the night it is cold, a late-day inversion starting the cold wind to moving, even as you're just entering between the broad columns before the doors of the Hall, you can feel the heat coming from within. On entering you are struck by two things, the wall of heat beyond the threshold and the cheers of the people within. Many of them come to their feet, cheering, clapping, and carrying on as you enter. Soon, however, a couple of loud claps emit from the front of the room, a sound closer to that of a large plank of wood smacking against another. The clapping and cheers of the people within slowly die down and the Thegn stands steady and stern to his feet, his demeanor stronger than it was just three hours prior.

"Come, come, denizens of Strandburg; it is time for the feast!" He waves your Company forward as many of the folk begin taking their seats, the volume of their varied conversations becoming a blanket cacophony to your ears. The fires in the massive pit along nearly the entire length of Mead Hall are burning high, brightening the place enough to bring the whole town to light. Many of the tapestries hanging along the sides have been tied back in place beneath stairs and rafters and the long tables within are packed with all manner of food and wine you would think impossible to provide within three hours. There are delicacies from Dale, Esgaroth, Erebor -old enough to have been shared in the time before the Dragon-, some from Thranduil's Kingdom, and others from without the Dale-lands which you do not readily recognize. The smells within the hall overcome the heat and the smell of the wood and coal used to power that heat, but barely, the various hot breads and meat from animals both belonging and not to the woods and plains of the Northern Dale-lands. Also, you can see barrels upon barrels of all manner of alcohol and a hundred or so goblets all around on the tables.

Approaching the long forward table, running parallel to the Thegn's on his dais, above, he takes a half-bow acknowledging all of you, and then points to the table with all the food on it in front of you.

"Please, sit and eat, my friends. This feast is in your honor!" He smiles, raises his goblet in salute, and then sits, himself.
LoreMaster Note Do any of you have anything special you want to write? After feasting there is dancing and playing and what-not, and I welcome all of you who would like to participate in the merriment to write what you're doing?
Artorius
Seeker
Seeker
Journey Role: Look-out (P)

Unread post by Artorius » 11 Aug 2019, 02:31

The skalds music filled the entire hall, the vielle produced sweet notes dancing around the beat of drum. The conversations of the patrons reverbed around the walls in a low hum. The air was thick with the smell of mead, meat and pipeweed. Despite the conditions outside, it was very warm in the hall and Artorius had dressed down to a light linen shirt of a mottled green colour, his earthy brown trousers and the lighter of his travel boots. On his plate were left the remenents of a hearty meal, mainly root vegetables and mushrooms along with some lake fish he witnessed being prepared before coming into the hall by the local fishwives. The Ranger also had taken some meat which he could recognise as rabbit, deer, and elk but decided to skip the other mysterious meat he beheld on the long tables.

After he had spoken to all of his companions, Artorius spent some time walking around the hall observing those there, who was guarding them and other details such as who was armed, what exits were being guarded and any attempts of intrigue or skulduggery. Finally he cast his eyes back to Bryni, and casually raised a horn of mead with a smile and nod when the Thegn noticed him. "Skol!" he shouted across the room in appreciation to the nights host.

Returning to his seat, Artorius found that someone else had taken it as was bound to happen in a crowded place like this. Not wishing to impose he took to finding another location, and could see some room surrounding some town locals. Maybe there would be no harm in speaking to some of the towns folk, he even had to admit it would not be an unwelcomed challenge as some of the women were fair of face and perhaps also they may have knowledge of the area. His guard dropped a little more as he drained his horn and filled it from another jug before taking to a new seat.
Out-of-Character This inspired my post: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mN3rUnUGzo8
Fieranor of Imladris
LoreMaster
LoreMaster

Unread post by Fieranor of Imladris » 11 Aug 2019, 18:00

Artorius wrote:
11 Aug 2019, 02:31
After he had spoken to all of his companions, Artorius spent some time walking around the hall observing those there, who was guarding them and other details such as who was armed, what exits were being guarded and any attempts of intrigue or skulduggery.
LoreMaster Note Eight guards reside within the hall, four of them steady against the tall walls, four of them wandering amongst the crowd, with four more out under the covered entry to the Mead Hall. The four outside and the twin guard stations at the front doors inside have swords and spears available to them, while the rest of the guards inside have only long knives or short swords. There are many others, men and women, who carry some manner of armament, though typically only smaller items such as knives and daggers. You will find no bows here, no mattocks, no long swords, and no axes.

One side exit per side stands open, as well, one guard at each entry, and you imagine there are means of going out the 'back' of the Mead Hall. Attempts to detect attempts of intrigue or skulduggery would, indeed, require some rolls or the use of a Trait. Riddle and Stealth can be used to find all manner of things, but require specificity about what it is you're looking for, specifically. Awareness may not give you anything terribly specific, but might reveal any untoward goings-on.

Finally he cast his eyes back to Bryni, and casually raised a horn of mead with a smile and nod when the Thegn noticed him. "Skol!" he shouted across the room in appreciation to the nights host.
The Thegn seems overjoyed with the music, the conversation, and the activities taking place within, at some points seeming surprised at the good will being expressed over the course of the feast. That emotion is quickly exchanged, back and forth, with being overjoyed at the happiness of his people, and there is no deviance in his smile nor his demeanor.
LoreMaster Note Alright, if there's not a lot of responses by Monday evening, CST, I'm going to move the game forward a bit. I love y'all, but it seems as if the game is starting to lag, at this point. Ellisidil, if you're going to talk to Bryni about what you wanted to address him about, now's the time. Ed has NOT responded about the PM I sent concerning Glirion, so feel free to have that NPC in the conversation with Bryni and feel free to write a small story. If you need a bit of extra time to write that story, please PM me and let me know you need more time, and I'll give you a bit, k? But, we can't hold off too much with this.
Eadnes
Apprentice
Apprentice
Stealth APs: 8
Journey Role: Scout (S)

Unread post by Eadnes » 12 Aug 2019, 02:03

Éadnes enjoys the feast but keeps his wits about him. He asks about the road north to those he can engage in conversation. This proves difficult as most want to know where he is from and how he came to be wandering with such a group.
Out-of-Character Awareness 18 with two funny sixes. Riddle 10 but I have no skill here. Stealth 17 with a gandalf rune.
Artorius
Seeker
Seeker
Journey Role: Look-out (P)

Unread post by Artorius » 12 Aug 2019, 12:54

Out-of-Character Stealth roll - (Sauron Eye 0)+(3)+(5) Artorius attempts to to gain some more information from the locals and tries to watch the guards... but I think its not possible during the nights festivities with such a roll!
Rosco
Novice
Novice
Stealth APs: 5

Unread post by Rosco » 12 Aug 2019, 13:15

Out-of-Character just got back from a weekend in the woods, will add something today
Fieranor of Imladris
LoreMaster
LoreMaster

Unread post by Fieranor of Imladris » 12 Aug 2019, 16:38

At some point during the evening, Ellisidil goes to speak with Bryni about the plan to stop Garrick of the Black Arrow in the Northern Dale-lands, and to have Glirion go with him, but finds the Thegn otherwise engaged... with a younger woman, one that appears to be near the end of her teen years. Though nothing has taken place, yet, sexually, both were preparing for it and the interruption is not only unwelcome, but in Bryni's extraordinarily inebriated state, his ardor is kindled to white hot instantly. He rises, his trousers undone and his tabard gone, and goes to reach for his long-sword.
LoreMaster Note So, though it was an extremely GOOD idea, it was an extremely bad roll, Image + Image .

Artorius wrote:
12 Aug 2019, 12:54
Out-of-Character Stealth roll - (Image)+(3)+(5) Artorius attempts to to gain some more information from the locals and tries to watch the guards... but I think its not possible during the nights festivities with such a roll!

LoreMaster Note This is turning out to not be your night, Company.
The mood in the room has turned from one of positivity to that plus an atmosphere of sexual heat. The families, upon finishing their food, have gone, no children remain within the Mead Hall. Artorius does not hear the fracas beginning between Ellisidil and the Thegn, at all, and will not be able to act in contravention of it until others begin to respond, and none have, as yet, despite the yelling that commences from behind the massive horse tapestry at the front of the hall.

LoreMaster Note Any of you who would be keen to overhear what's going on, give me an Awareness roll, please?
Ellisidil
Apprentice
Apprentice
Journey Role: Scout (P)

Unread post by Ellisidil » 12 Aug 2019, 19:53

Out-of-Character Awareness roll (Eye of Sauron) + (Tengwar rune) + (Tengwar rune)=12
Moriel
Novice
Novice

Unread post by Moriel » 12 Aug 2019, 20:27

Moriel enjoys the array of food at the feast, but does not partake in much wine, as to not dull her senses. She makes small talk with others at the table but her keen eyes are constantly scanning the room for anything out of place.

With the noise, firelight, and heavy food, however, Moriel unfortunately is not able to notice anything unusual.