A Small Task for Radagast

Welcome to Middle Earth.

All current role-playing will take place, here; record or post links to your die rolls, as well as anything you feel is relevant to playing your character in our present adventure, for ease of reference. All current Out-of-Character (OOC) discussions should take place here, as well, such as Fellowship/ Company planning. Please, keep your die rolls and short OOC notes in the main game thread; you may even use an OOC note to point to a topic (insert a URL into your post) or post elsewhere in this forum, as long as it is relevant to the on-going game.

Old adventures and OOC posts will go into the proper forum category area once the new adventure and OOC thread have been established. OOC threads MAY carry over to more adventures if I deem there is not enough in the current thread to separate it from a new OOC thread.
Fieranor of Imladris
LoreMaster
LoreMaster
Melee APs: 4
Stealth APs: 4

A Small Task for Radagast

Unread post by Fieranor of Imladris » 28 Jun 2019, 17:15

LoreMaster Note Keep role-playing in the other thread, if you like. I'm writing this one to give all of you a taste of what's to come, so you can formulate questions and posts in a Word or word-like program and then post this once the thread is unlocked. I won't have time to post again until Monday, and I'll try unlocking this the moment I wake up on Monday.

The door to Gandalf's home slammed wide open, hitting the banister of the stairs down onto the ground floor of his home, but it was not Gandalf standing in the frame. The door had not been thrown aside by any great strength of Man or Wizard, but by the winds howling from the frozen North, this morning.

"MURDER, RATS, BEASTS OF DOOM!" The raspy voice was loud and boomed through the reinforced rafters of the house; the door held as well. However, the cold that rushed inside and the full inch of snow accumulating on the top step of the entry stair was enough to destroy all semblance of heat that had built well in the home, including being powerful enough to put out a fire which had been lovingly kept all night, and throughout the last thirteen weeks of the Winter.

Indeed, Gandalf was not home and had not been home for some months. Instead, the figure in the doorway, who shuffled inside and worked hard to close that door, now, was so covered in snow it was impossible to see, under his weighted cowl, whom it could possibly be. However, the voice is as familiar as lillies in a plain's field near a lake.

Radagast the Brown huffed.

14 March 2947, the Harsh Winter, Dale, Gandalf's Home
He was careful to shake his cowl back toward the door, lifting it well above the birds nesting underneath, and they took flight as if very happy to be free after a long captivity, and it had been. His boots stomped, the snow crusting off in the spaces between the boards and dripping to the bare floor beneath, as all of the snow did during its quick melt. He removed his mittens, soaked through from the long journey and laid them, temporarily, on the banister.

Some of the warmth returned when the door was sealed and latched, but someone would surely rush to restore the fire before snow could build up in the chimney and put the fire out again once it melted.

"Hullo the house!" He cried, and then began to chuckle to himself, though it was loud enough for all in the house to hear. "I tried yelling that from outside, I tried knocking loudly, and nothing worked because of the blasting wind and the pelting pebbles," he explained. He looks at anyone looking to him and asks, almost demanding, "Tell me there is food to be had in Gandalf's hovel?! I haven't eaten since Rhosgobel four days ago." Plodding down the stairs, his clothing soaked and very heavy, he moves toward the fire and the individual working to light it anew, and waits for it to be lit, again. Once it is, he has perhaps something to drink, something to eat, and all greetings are done, he explains,

"I need you to do something that I am not skilled to do," he places anything in his hands on Gandalf's nearly bare mantle, takes a small wooden box, obviously skillfully carved by a Woodman, out of some pocket well-hidden within his robes, slides the top to the left, and rolls a large eyeball, that many of you recognize instantly, into his right hand. "This will be useful for only eleven days, and you must use it before that time, or we will never find out who put the Lady Xakzôrs in the state she was in when she came to murder the King."

LoreMaster Note Again, I'll unlock this at the appropriate time. Think on it and live in fear, friends... muwahahahahaha!!!
Eadnes
Apprentice
Apprentice
Melee APs: 6
Stealth APs: 8
Journey Role: Scout (S)

Re: A Small Task for Radagast

Unread post by Eadnes » 01 Jul 2019, 15:11

Éadnes appears from the back ofthe house drinking from a small glass.

'I found this in the market, it is a distillation of plums from the east. I recommend it for warming the heart but what can it be that we can achieve that you cannot?'
Moriel
Novice
Novice
Journey Role: Look-out (S)

Unread post by Moriel » 02 Jul 2019, 20:11

Upon hearing Radagast enter the house, Moriel comes downstairs, restarts the fire and begins to prepare a meal.
Fieranor of Imladris
LoreMaster
LoreMaster

Unread post by Fieranor of Imladris » 02 Jul 2019, 22:48

Radagast, watching the house full of folks begin to move, again, watches as you come down the stairs and begin working immediately on the fire, and bends to thank you for your kindness. Then, he takes the proffered glass of licquer and sips it. The smell emitting from within the robes of the ancient man is enough to turn the least-sensitive nose to reflexively close.

LoreMaster Note Alright, I know what Moriel and Éadnes are doing... what of the rest of you who remained behind? Aethelwulf and Rosco?
Artorius
Apprentice
Apprentice
Journey Role: Look-out (P)

Unread post by Artorius » 03 Jul 2019, 14:39

Erebor
Smoke plumed up into the infinte darkness above him, Artorius sat with a book open on the table he was sitting at in a part of Erebor where the roof was so high it was unlikely even an Elf could see the top. Taking long drags on the pipe and puffing out smoke rings as he had seen Mithrandir once do, the Ranger was reading a text on philosophy written by a Dwarven scholar who had been classed as "addled" and "eccentric" not only by his own kind but by Man and Elf alike. The book itself was on hope and was the only copy still known to exist. He had snuck it from the great library while the Dwarves were celebrating their festival of 'Yol' and the whole clan were in their cups in the great hall. There was a reason this was restricted and held away, for its presentation on hope was rather outlandish. One of the pieces that stood out was:

“The problem isn’t that we don’t know how not to get struck by an axe. The problem is that, at some point, likely a long time ago, we got struck by an axe, and instead of striking back, we decided we deserved it."

He laughed at the notion of the sentence, and yet this rung truths with him. He carried on reading quietly on his own till the book was finished. He took care to do his best at returning it but left it clumsily hanging off a table near the forbidden part of the library. No one would know who took it and most likely the Dwarven lore apprentices would absent mindly replace it back in its place without even realising the book.

Returning to his room, along the way he heard that the snows were melting fast now and decided it was time to travel back to Dale along with Frerin and Ellisdil to meet up once again with the company.
Fieranor of Imladris
LoreMaster
LoreMaster

Unread post by Fieranor of Imladris » 03 Jul 2019, 17:28

One of the volunteers at The Water House, in Dale, took a broom to the large open loft doors used to load in fresh hay for repairing the high roofs and repacking the walls that had slumped into the lowest of spaces built for that protection. The day was cold, but this was the perfect time of year to have all of the windows and doors opened due to a lack of the sick and dying, of which four had passed these three months and some. The foul air needed to be changed, the loft prepared, the supply stations inventoried and replaced. Aesfrid had request you, Glirion, aid in the clearing of the loft, the readying of the floor, and the function of the pulley system and hooks that would allow for the transfer of fresh hay from the smaller, but better sealed, barn below. The hay had been harvested, cleaned, the chaff separated and used elsewhere, and stored prior to the first snow, and it was as fresh as it was going to get. Lest there be a hole in the barn, somewhere, the presence of rats, field mice, and other creatures would be kept to a minimum.

She explained that she felt your leg was good enough for you to travel, but that she was only letting you go as a special request made by Gandalf. She explained that your help around The Water House had been infinitely valuable and she was going to miss a young man of your quality. Though she is old and tough and not much given to sentiment, she turned before she could show you tears, though you saw one form rapidly at the corner of her right eye as she turned left.

However, on completion of your task, later in the day but not quite nightfall, you were free to go, your debt to The Water House repaid for the injuries sustained from the drunkards knife.
LoreMaster Note Ed, I welcome you to write any short tale you like in this thread, longer ones in your Journal thread, please? And, I'll leave it up to you to find your way to Gandalf's abode to meet up with the others.

For all, it's something of a slow start to the story, but there are definite arcs of having all come together to begin. :D
Frerin
Apprentice
Apprentice
Journey Role: Guide

Unread post by Frerin » 03 Jul 2019, 19:16

Erebor
The front door to Frerin's home near the First Stair of Stángard beneath the Mountain fell shut with a clacking sound, as the dwarf returned home after another busy day at the workshop. He felt vaguely sorry for not having had more time to show Artorius and Ellisidil around Erebor, but he believed he had made good use of the winter season.

"I'm home! Hope none o'ya got up t' any mischief while I was away?" He called out good-naturedly to his guests, stepping into the central living hall of his mansion, where a nice warm fire was flickering in the hearth. Frerin was clad in a untilitarian garb made of linen and leather, and under his arm he carried a big object wrapped in cloth, which he carefully placed onto the center of the dining table. "'ere's somethin' I want ya ta see!"

Unwrapping the package revealed a sturdy shield crafted from solid mountain pine, encircled by the lions-head shield boss that Frerin had taken from the sunken dwarven fort in the middle of Mirkwood the previous year, which had been carefully restored and cleaned of rust and soot, the entire ensemble then painted with designs in the ancient Northman style. "Well?" The dwarf beamed, "What d' ya think?"
Glirion
Novice
Novice

Unread post by Glirion » 04 Jul 2019, 01:35

At the Water House
The rattling of various objects filled the room as Glirion tore about his quarters. An empty travelling bag stood upon a cot that was slowly being filled with essential travelling objects and various herbs and medicines that the Barding had crafted over the months. Glirion was carefully placing the last of the items in the bag, it was made a more difficult task than it ought to have as his hands were shaking as a small giddy sensation was clouding his head like some narcotic. At last his debt had been paid to his mentor, his skills had been honed to a fine edge and he had been given leave to pursue whatever he wished. Originally he had intended to go back to his large home, maybe ask a loan from his wealthy kinfolk to start his own medical practises in Dale or perhaps some other nearby city or town, yet now ever since the feast the call to adventure was too strong to overcome.

As the last of the essential items were placed within the confines of the bag, he placed the burden upon his back. Crouching down below the bed, he reached underneath and dragged a heavy box, the weight made the wooden floor boards groan in protest yet it did yield to the Barding and slip out from it's shelter. Unlocking the latch and flipping the content open, his eyes rested upon the blade that he had long since wielded in service before his injury took his life in a different direction. Taking the hilt of the weapon as it slept within it's sheath, he knotted it upon his belt to rest at his side. Glirion's felt complete, as the weight dragged at his waist and the sack pulled upon his back he knew that he was ready to set forth.

The Barding walked the halls of the healing house, bidding farewell to old friends both patients and helpers, when he reached his matron of the house he spent a while longer her thanking her for the opportunity to learn, that he would not let her down. After the goodbyes had been spoken, the Barding took his leave of the place, perhaps for the last time. Feet touching the streets of Dale once more, Glirion made his way to the house of Gandalf his somewhat blurry memories of the crowning of Kings Bard would still serve as a somewhat reliable map.. He hoped.
Rosco
Novice
Novice
Stealth APs: 5

Unread post by Rosco » 04 Jul 2019, 01:53

From a back room, Rosco of Bree emerged awkwardly carrying a harp that would be hand-held for most humans, but for the Hobbit it was difficult to manage. But, as a sturdy and determined halfling, Rosco carried it the best he could.

"I had no idea that old Gandalf played music! He's always full of surprises!" he exclaimed. "It's been a bit since I last played a harp, but I'll give it a go, if you don't mind. A finely crafted harp, well-tuned and played with practiced fingers, is perhaps the most beautiful instrument in the world!"

Each of his deft fingers stretched in an alternating fashion, and he cleared his throat with a little cough. He concentrated and strummed across the golden strings.

Everyone in the house cried out and quickly covered their ears as the horrifying sound of a thousand cats being burned alive tortured their minds! It was unnaturally loud and it felt as though their ears would burst.

Rosco's hands also went to his ears, and the harp fell to the floor. The sound it made when it landed was even worse, this time sounding like several drawer-fulls of fine silver spoons, forks and knives and a cupboard full of teacups and saucers all crashing down at once.

When the terrible vibrations finally came to an end, Rosco peeked through his squinted eyes and said, "Good Heavens! What ever is wrong with that harp?"
Out-of-Character My intention here is to punish Rosco for meddling in the affairs of wizards. I don't expect the harp to be used in the story outside of this scene. It could be a magical harp that causes pain to enemies. It could be that only certain players or certain spells allow the harp to be played "correctly" and give some charms or benefits to those who hear it. It might just be a gag gift. It doesn't matter - Rosco is justly punished for screwing with Gandalf's things as though he were a young boy playing with knives in the kitchen.
Fieranor of Imladris
LoreMaster
LoreMaster

Unread post by Fieranor of Imladris » 04 Jul 2019, 11:20

LoreMaster Note Excellent introductions to the story all! LOL. Glirion, very poignant. Rosco, a great deal of fun; could it be that Rosco's just terribly rusty? :lol:

For Artorius and Frerin, and this will apply to Ellisidil, as well, I've gone back and edited your posts for location at Erebor. For Glirion, I've done the same for The Water House, to sort of help other readers to keep things straight. None of you are required to do so; I'm happy to take care of it. Just, for the beginning of this thread and until everyone has rejoined, it helps to point out the different locations, and the central group is the one beginning at Gandalf's small abode, for now.
Eadnes
Apprentice
Apprentice

Unread post by Eadnes » 06 Jul 2019, 03:13

Gandalf’s House.

'Master Hobbit! It appears your curiosity outweighs your ability this morning! I believe we have two ways of responding to your welcome. Either you ensure we are awake with your cacophany or you wish to be of good cheer and so make fun of yourself. In either case, be reassured you are not forgotten.'

Turning back to Radagast Éadnes says,

'Now Radagast, come by the fire and let the warmth into your bones. We will pull up chairs and stools and you may tell us what you alone cannot achieve.'
Rosco
Novice
Novice
Stealth APs: 5

Unread post by Rosco » 06 Jul 2019, 11:29

Rosco, red-faced with embarrassment, scoots away from the harp as though afraid to touch it again. He had never wanted to be less noticed than at this time.

Hoping to direct everyone's gaze toward someone else, anyone else, he says: "Um, yes, Radagast, please tell us more, and leave out no detail, regardless of its obscurity or relevence!"
Fieranor of Imladris
LoreMaster
LoreMaster

Unread post by Fieranor of Imladris » 07 Jul 2019, 15:03

The ancient Wizard left the fireplace long enough to grab one of Gandalf's many woven chairs and drag it closer, as he recovered from the horrific sound of the supposed harp the Hobbit had found within Gandalf's possession, taking a moment to gain Rosco's attention and signal for him to approach the fireplace, but began to speak as he sat down and before any one of the four within the house, already (Aethelwulf, Éadnes, Moriel, and Rosco), was comfortable to listen,

"It is something I am actually unable to do because of my purpose in Middle-..." several raps sounded at the door, far stronger than anything Radagast had put to the large plank of wood that barely kept the cold out, "earth," he finished as someone rose to answer the portal.

LoreMaster Note Ed, I hope you don't mind? I thought if you had other things to do since your last post, you would have posted them. If you do have something else to do, then perhaps you can write it in your Journal?

{Whomever opened the door} stepped up the creaky stairs and pulled on the makeshift handle for the door, finding a snow-dusted Glirion on the other side. The Warrior-Healer had visited a couple of times over the course of the Winter, and some of you had visited The Water House, whether to volunteer or be volunteered to aid Glirion in his calling, there. Ample opportunity was given to make him a true part of the Company, as had happened with Aethelwulf and Rosco as the heavy snows fell and the walls of the Lonely Mountains had pushed winds from the North further through Dale and Esgaroth to freeze all.

"Come in, come in," Radagast calls to both of you at the door, "before my old bones freeze and I die of chill." He laughs, then, his birds chirping with him. "Yes, yes, come, for you will need to know what I have to say, as well. You will leave on the 'morrow and meet Ellisidil, Frerin, and the Ranger in the valley between Erebor and Dale, and you may regale them of that which I will impart you, now.

"I am mandated to rid the world of that which makes the Song of Eru discordant, but my involvement with the Lady of Karak Azshur, for she was naught as other Dragons, was not right. Fortunately," he pulls the long box lid off again, drawing it from the mantle above the fire, and shows it to you all, "I was able to save one of her eyes, that the love of nature I have placed upon it will guide you to her lair, to whatever may have caused her pain and drew her to slay the King of Dale. Your happenstance to be there, right then, was not coincidence but providence and, thus, you must do what I am forbidden to.

"Go to her lair, where the West end of the Withered Heath meets the East end of the Grey Mountains, find a tall Dwarf-make tower attached to the mining station of Karak Azshur, and bring me what you believe to have caused her insanity. Can you do this?" He slides closed the top of the box and rests it back on the mantle, waiting for answers.
Eadnes
Apprentice
Apprentice

Unread post by Eadnes » 08 Jul 2019, 02:38

Éadnes shifts uncomfortably.

'I have walked many of the paths that lead to the Withered Heath and yes I will do this. I would warn others that we will need to be watchful. Although there has been no report of a Great Dragon in many years, fell things still wander that place. We will need to go prepared.'
Moriel
Novice
Novice

Unread post by Moriel » 08 Jul 2019, 19:52

Moriel tries to hide her inner anxiety with a smile as she responds to Radagast:
"Yes, Good Wizard, we can do this. Perhaps my research and organization of the library this winter will come in handy to prepare us for what lies ahead."