Dragontide & The First Gathering of the Five Armies, Pt II

These are old adventure topics, including their OOC threads for The One Ring: Company of the Gray Wolf.
Fieranor of Imladris
LoreMaster
LoreMaster
Melee APs: 4
Stealth APs: 4

Re: Dragontide & The First Gathering of the Five Armies

Unread post by Fieranor of Imladris » 24 Feb 2019, 21:16

LoreMaster Note Fair enough. So, Desyd, Éadnes, Ellisidil and Frerin, please check your character journals, if you haven't already? Each of you should have something there, now.

Artorius and Moriel, I am beginning a new thread, here, for you two to interact in.
Moriel
Novice
Novice
Journey Role: Look-out (S)

Unread post by Moriel » 24 Feb 2019, 21:21

Fieranor of Imladris wrote:
22 Feb 2019, 23:10
LoreMaster Note Alright, Éadnes has taken his leave... I just need to know what the rest of you are doing. Frerin, are you leaving for Erebor, or do you feel there's more to discuss? Artorius and Moriel, are you leaving for the Library or is more planning in the offing? What of the rest of you?

I'm ready to head to the library. We can go over everything when we reconvene in a week. Safe journeys, all.
Ellisidil
Apprentice
Apprentice
Journey Role: Scout (P)

Unread post by Ellisidil » 25 Feb 2019, 09:34

Ellisidil sits as he watches everyone leave, but before Frerin leaves he asks "Master Frerin do you mind if I tag along with you, not only might we find something of what is needed, but also what we seek about our shield and sword?"
Frerin
Seeker
Seeker
Journey Role: Guide

Unread post by Frerin » 26 Feb 2019, 07:44

Frerin carefully strokes his beard. "Please don't take this the wrong way, Master Ellisidil, as I dinnae mind ya comin' at all, personally, but 'twould prob'ly ruffle fewer feathers if ya'd give me a few days ta ask permission for ya first. My folk can still be quite insular, even after all that 'appened, an' they're right particular 'bout who they let into our halls. Like I said, I've got no doubts ya'll be admitted, 'tis jess a courtesy ta be observed."
Ellisidil
Apprentice
Apprentice

Unread post by Ellisidil » 27 Feb 2019, 10:32

Ellisidil replies to Frerin "I understand what it is you have to do, Master Frerin, and I will wait for you to get that permission. In the mean time, do you know of any one here in town that might be able to help us?"
Fieranor of Imladris
LoreMaster
LoreMaster

Unread post by Fieranor of Imladris » 28 Feb 2019, 17:06

LoreMaster Note As each of you are, more or less, off dealing with your own plans and trying to split your resources so you can all find out more, just understand that, if you don't hear anything from me, here, that doesn't mean I am disengaged, it just means I'm engaged elsewhere.

I may put other things on hold, tomorrow, so I can start clearing out and copying over various pages, images, and other files from our current server, before I send out a message about closing the forum temporarily so we can move to another service. It should take three days from there to propagate, or less, and then I'll send out a message about being up and running, again. Please be patient and forgive me for the slow-down. :)
Frerin
Seeker
Seeker

Unread post by Frerin » 02 Mar 2019, 02:25

"Thanks for yer understanding, Master Ellisidil," Frerin replies. "I'll send Shathûr back fer ya as soon as I've got permission from th' king. I suppose in th' meantime, ya could check out th' local craftsmen ta see whe'er they know anythin' about yer sword? Not sure who's out 'ere right now, exactly, but they're generally pretty solid folk."
Fieranor of Imladris
LoreMaster
LoreMaster

Unread post by Fieranor of Imladris » 05 Mar 2019, 19:52

LoreMaster Note Alright, my friends, how about we take the remainder of this week to play through whatever else you believe you might need to accomplish, and we'll move ahead from there. This is not to say that we cannot do any further role-playing that needs to be done, but I'm leery of losing the story overall, getting bogged down. This transfer to the new server went a LOT faster than I expected, so that will help, but I'm sure all of you are ready to get even deeper into the story.
Eadnes
Apprentice
Apprentice
Melee APs: 6
Stealth APs: 8
Journey Role: Scout (S)

Unread post by Eadnes » 06 Mar 2019, 13:23

Éadnes moves purposefully through Dale stopping to talk to traders and buy a variety of items. Cloth and lanterns he finds and starts to store, oil and avariety of pieces of wood he carries back and forth across market square. He catches the eye of many and cheerfully waves to those around him. As he sits and carves in Market Square he passes the time of day with any who stop to look at his work. As the week continues he begins to create puppets in wood, brightly painted and with articulated limbs. As children pass he takes on the roll of a scarey old man and chases them away.

'Wait, wait 'til its ready! Varmints, ragamuffins, changlings!' he croaks in a haggard voice.

The common folk of the market laugh as Éadnes chases the children away, turning with a smile.

'It will be a great tale and a shame to spoil it,' he tells all paying attention.

Soon he is approached by those in the market asking questions when will it be ready? Can we know waht it is about? Yet he remains steadfast in disclosing nothing.

'Soon, soon,' he answers each evening before he retires to his bed.
Ellisidil
Apprentice
Apprentice

Unread post by Ellisidil » 06 Mar 2019, 19:05

Ellisidil replies "Master Frerin, I will await for you to tell me everything is good for me to travel and meet you at the gates. While I am waiting for that I am going to anvil way, the nest, Market square, and the library. I am going with the intention of learning about our sword and shield, I will also visit, given the time, the royal barracks for any tips on my Great Bow and arrows. Do you have anyone in particular that I need to talk with while you head to the Mountain?"
Fieranor of Imladris
LoreMaster
LoreMaster

Unread post by Fieranor of Imladris » 09 Mar 2019, 00:53

The Free People of Middle-earth know nothing of the trouble all of you, as a group, new and old joined together, face in the offing. They all go about their lives, and the festive atmosphere of the First Gathering of the Five Armies, the extended Dragontide celebration and its unnamed adoptive half-brother in Dale, all leading to the forthcoming coronation, pervade the air and all have some manner of mirth, even the most dour. They are all truly happy, and one might start to wonder if one should stir more trouble, but then one realizes that trouble will come, sooner or later, and later may prove the more catastrophic, as it did with the Dragon. Still, the people go about as if no care in the world could bother them, just now, talking about one or more parties that took place the night before, or the next party taking place, tonight. Food and drink of all sorts are plentiful, companionship can be found with a smile and friendly handshake, or by other methods, and information can be sought, most for free though some with a price.

However, you know Winter is setting in rapidly, the cold is also here, covering all like a very cold blanket that will not warm. If any are to travel to nearby homes that are neither Esgaroth, Dale, or Erebor, they would have to leave, soon, and you see some leaving the town to return to homes further away. Otherwise, after the coronation and the accompanying feast, this area will rapidly and inexorably return to its nominal size prior to the celebrations and it will be very much quieter until the Spring.
Eadnes
Apprentice
Apprentice

Unread post by Eadnes » 09 Mar 2019, 01:35

Éadnes approaches the Master of the Market and negotiates a price to set up his show. He tells that the show will give mothers a new bogeyman to stop the malfeasance of their children. Thanks to his performance at Dragontide, the Master of the Market has heard of Éadnes and quickly finds him a space where many pass by. They can drop their children at the puppet show and go about their business. Smiling together they walk to the spot and mark it out with wooden poles sunk into the earth. A crude rope separates the area and the Master of the Market sets his sign to show the space has been paid for. Shaking hands they separate, the Master back to his business and Éadnes to start to set his stage. His familiar face now bringing nods and glances as he wears his cloak colourside showing. Quick to laugh and quick to smile many passes by believe Éadnes is a regular part of the market as he begins to create his stage.
Eadnes
Apprentice
Apprentice

Unread post by Eadnes » 12 Mar 2019, 16:48

The next morning Éadnes sets out for the guardhouse. He seeks out two guards who have families and he asks if they will keep an eye on his puppet show for the evening, their children can attend the show for free and stay as long as they wish. He convinces them by saying if they will store the stage when he is finished with it, he will give the puppets to their children. They may play with the puppets and keep them for their delight. Settling this deal, means Éadnes he does not need to worry about putting up and taking down a puppet show.

Before the end of the morning he returns to his place in the market. It doesn't take long to build the framework for the show. The bright colours soon attract comments and glances from passers by. Once the frame is errected Éadnes begins to work on a simple sign, 'The Tale of Lodin the Lich'. As it is posted some look and dash away whilst others adopt a more quizical look. Many of the children cannot read and Éadnes tempts them to come and hear with sweets he scatters around. Soon the word spreads as one child tells another.

'Free sweets, just wait and watch the elf!'

By the late afternoon Éadnes has assembled everything and starts to announce his show for tomorrow's market.

'Tomorrow ladies and gentlemen bring your children to the puppet show where they will hear the tale of Lodin the Lich. A tale to warn them of the great evils. The greed of gold! The desire to deceive! The sin of secrecy! I will entertain them whilst you divert yourself in the market, relax in the taverns or distract yourselves by going back to bed!'

Éadnes smiles and winks at some of the ladies as they pass as he makes this last statement. He continues in similar vein. He throws a handful of sweets collected over the past days to the crowds of children and then starts to show some of the candle work he has prepared.

Pulling a white sheet across the front of the puppet show he lights the lantern behind the now covered stage and dances some of his puppets so their shadows flit acreoss the stage.

'The story begins tomorrow. Three shows! There you will hear the story and see the puppets now hidden from view. The gallant Bard, our brave captain of the guard and the evil Lodin!'

As the names are called the puppet casts it shadow and thanks to Éadnes' dexterity seems to bow to the audience in a ephemeral form. The gasp as the puppet Lodin first appears small and inconsequential leaps large and threatening, its dark shadow filling the sheet.

'Until tomorrow!'

Éadnes finishes with a small splash of lantern oil which he flick through the lantern flame to create a minor flash of light as he rolls the heavy linen cover over the puppet show.

The buzz in the market continues as the market finishes for the afternoon. Many visitors ask about the show in front of their children and Éadnes is clear that after the tale their children will be as good and obedient for a whole week, maybe longer! His smile shows humour and he insists mothers will have plenty of time to be about their business. Market traders ask for the start time for the show and Éadnes suggests 9 o'clock, 11 o'clock and 2 o'clock but then he will need to pack the stage away. The stall holders insist they will keep stock for these times, they all have the sense that tomorrow they will do well!

As the conversation continues Éadnes is aware two city guards are approaching. He turns to welcome those who will watch over his show. It is just wood and fabric but Éadnes does not want it damaged by those leaving the taverns. He packs the puppets into a box and returns to his room in the Split Pig.

'Master Éadnes!'
The voice of the Innkeeper booms across from behind the bar.
'What is all this fuss I hear you are up to? Is there anything for us to enjoy?'

Éadnes smiles as this has been in his mind from the start. This question avoids the need to raise the idea himself and allows him to try and recoup some of his money!

'It is but a story, yet I know I will have men watching and listening to remember their childhood. I could put on a show here, perhaps the shadow performance with flashes of lights would be good. Ah! But I have spent all my money on the materials for the shows tomorrow. I would need to wait to see how many turn up or I would not be able to pay my bills here.'

Éadnes smiles widely and the Innkeeper laughs!
'Are all elves as devious in finding ways out of their bills?
OK good elf! A free show for your room but collect no fees! If I make a good haul, I will even throw in free ale for afterwards!'

'Then we must make sure we let all know, an adults only show! Not for the weak of mind! I will paint the sign tonight!'

With that Éadnes is passed an ale and he retires to his room. This may all be for nothing, but with luck we may learn something more than the dreams of Artorius.
Frerin
Seeker
Seeker

Unread post by Frerin » 14 Mar 2019, 09:52

Out-of-Character Sorry, Ellisidil, for missing your question before.
"None in particular." Frerin has informed Ellisidil before heading off towards Erebor. "Just let yer guts guide ya an' take a look around. I'm sure there will be plenty ta do, with all th'folk millin' about!"

It has actually been six days by the time the dwarf returns from his sojourn at the Mountain. "Apologies fer not gettin' back ta ya sooner." He tells Ellisidil. "Took me a while ta speak ta King Daín, but I got permission ta bring all o'ya ta Erebor, now. In fact, the King wants us ta present a report o' our findings ta 'is council once we're done with our research."
Ellisidil
Apprentice
Apprentice

Unread post by Ellisidil » 14 Mar 2019, 11:17

"Hail and well met, Master Dwarf, It is time to eat and drink for the Morrow is another day and we will find out what information we seek tomorrow."