Frerin, Son of Oin, of Erebor - Harald S

If you have a character in our game, you will find their journal in this area, as well as some stickied threads near the top of the list for songs and stories. As well Player-heroes (PHs), as they are called in The One Ring, have some basic information here concerning how to build them. A journal means you have the opportunity to develop your character's depth to help you be able to get into them, even in a slow-flow forum-based setting such as our game. Have fun with it... using your journal and helping the group with songs may even lead you to gaining experience for posting about them.
Fieranor of Imladris
LoreMaster
LoreMaster
Melee APs: 4
Stealth APs: 4

Re: Frerin, Son of Oin, of Erebor - Harald S

Unread post by Fieranor of Imladris » 27 Jun 2019, 16:01

Frerin wrote:
27 Jun 2019, 08:32
Out-of-Character I'm carrying the shield with me - the way Frerin figures, the best way to get the attention of a master craftsman is by showing him an interesting project. Also, I'm going to assume Frerin has no accent speaking in Khuzdul. :wink:
LoreMaster Note LOL, smartass, hehe! Well, Svior does, hehe, both in and out of the language, :lol:

Hey, by the way, I apologize for not getting back to you, earlier, but several folk had contacted me about their characters and I was trying to resolve them one at a time. Then, various problems have been getting solved, for better or worse, today, and my Father-in-Law needed to get out for a haircut and to see his heart Doctor about some heart medicine he's running low on.

"Pleased to meet you, Svior! I am Frerin, Son of Óin, son of Gróin."
The younger Dwarf tries, and fails, to show no interest in that line.

Frerin shows Svior the Lion-Head shield that he brought. "This is something I found on my travels. I believe it was once an item of fine quality, and would like to restore it to its former glory. But while I've tried my hand at crafting shields before, I am not sure if my own skill will suffice for this. So I asked around, and I was told that you are the one to talk to for this kind of work. So, if you have the time and inclination, Svior, I would like to ask for your help, and your tutelage, on this project. Of course, I realize you will require a demonstration of my skills to make sure you're not wasting your time, and I am also ready to make it worth your while."
He looks to the shield, looks to you, looks back at the shield, then takes a stink-eye look back at you, all the while forming a question on his lips,

"Do you know any history concerning this shield?"
Frerin
Apprentice
Apprentice
Journey Role: Guide

Unread post by Frerin » 27 Jun 2019, 17:53

Out-of-Character No worries, Paul, I was busy all day, so even if you had gotten back to me sooner, I couldn't have responded much before now anyway. :)
Frerin nods. "I found the shield in the ruins of an abandoned dwarven fortress deep in Mirkwood. There is a matching sword that goes with it. From what we could find out about the designs, it was crafted by the Éothéod of old, before Eorl the Young led his riders south to Rohan. If restored, it would make a fine gift, I reckon, for some friends of mine, or maybe even King Bard himself, and show them what dwarven artifice can do!"
Fieranor of Imladris
LoreMaster
LoreMaster

Unread post by Fieranor of Imladris » 27 Jun 2019, 20:41

Frerin wrote:
27 Jun 2019, 17:53
Out-of-Character No worries, Paul, I was busy all day, so even if you had gotten back to me sooner, I couldn't have responded much before now anyway. :)
LoreMaster Note Two thumbs up! Rock on!

Frerin nods. "I found the shield in the ruins of an abandoned dwarven fortress deep in Mirkwood. There is a matching sword that goes with it. From what we could find out about the designs, it was crafted by the Éothéod of old, before Eorl the Young led his riders south to Rohan. If restored, it would make a fine gift, I reckon, for some friends of mine, or maybe even King Bard himself, and show them what dwarven artifice can do!"
On mentioning the fortress deep within Mirkwood, Svior's eyes open a bit wider, and then a question comes to mind and he blurts it out before refining it,

"What was a blade of Éothéod-make doing in an ancient Dwarven fortress, at all?"
Frerin
Apprentice
Apprentice

Unread post by Frerin » 28 Jun 2019, 09:10

Frerin shakes his head slightly in response to Svior's question. "Honestly, I'm not sure. The items could have belonged to a human ally of the dwarves that lived there. They might have been trophies - perhaps from some clash beween us and the Éothéod in the past, as we were not exactly on speaking terms after Fram slew Scatha the Worm and took the stolen dwaven treasure from its hoard. The dwarves might also have recovered them from the Orcs that plagued the land, after the Orcs took them from one of the Northmen in turn. Take your pick of either of those."
Fieranor of Imladris
LoreMaster
LoreMaster

Unread post by Fieranor of Imladris » 28 Jun 2019, 10:37

"I generally have little interest in items of historical significance," Svior continues in Khuzdûl, "I prefer to think toward our glorious future." He steps over to the water barrel, again, the heat in the place sweltering despite the windows being open to the Winter air outside, then turns and offers you a ladle full of water. Whether you take it or not, he continues,

"Frerin, Son of Óin, son of Gróin, I take you as my apprentice, but only for the course of the Winter," he waves in the air with his right hand, whether in staving off questions, or simply expressing it would be enough, "for I have an army's worth of swords, shields, and armor to prepare for an order m'Lord Thorin Stonehelm has requested.

"I believe in the tests you mentioned a moment ago only for the sake of determining how far you've come. If you believe you have the craft necessary to restore this shield," he rests his fingers on the banded rim, "then I may also use you to help with my order as I instruct you in the finer arts of restoration and," he seems to grimace a little bit, pulling his fingers away from the banded rim and rubbing them together as dirt and rust falls from between them, "perhaps improvement." His eyes meet yours, again, always a contest of confidence and strength among Dwarves, and he nods.

"If you've no questions, then we will begin in the morning," he takes a sheet of parchment with no markings on it and begins writing a list of the tools and materials you'll need to acquire, as he awaits any further questions.
Frerin
Apprentice
Apprentice

Unread post by Frerin » 28 Jun 2019, 18:49

Frerin meets Svior's gaze, and gives him a brief nod. "That works for me. It will be an honor to serve as your apprentice, Svior, and very enlightening, I should think. I will be here again early on the morrow."

He takes the list of tools and materials once it is done, and heads off to the market to acquire everything he needs.
Fieranor of Imladris
LoreMaster
LoreMaster

Unread post by Fieranor of Imladris » 29 Jun 2019, 22:07

LoreMaster Note Okay, I'm not certain if there's anything more you would like to role-play, here, Harald, but I welcome you to write a story about your training and the repair of the shield, if you like? I realize you had intended to use this time to help diminish some of the Temporary Shadow you had built up, and that could still be part of your story, if you like? I know you've said you do not intend to use the shield, but I welcome you to make a Craft check or two if you like to see how well you can repair the shield. You can add your Favored Body to the roll(s) if you like, to a maximum of twice, one per roll and don't worry about expending Hope, since it will recover before the coming Adventure. If you use Hope a third or fourth time, those will count against you for the next Adventure Phase, because you won't have time to recover them before leaving.
Frerin
Apprentice
Apprentice

Unread post by Frerin » 01 Jul 2019, 17:06

Out-of-Character I'll see if I can find the time and the inspiration to come up with a story for the training and work on the shield, but mostly I'm good. I don't really need to get rid of any more Shadow, since I rolled so well during the last Fellowship Phase - there's just 1 point of Shadow left, and with The Stiff Neck of the Dwarves, that's not entirely a bad thing.

I did make two Craft rolls in Roll 20, which have some really nice results after adding in the bonuses - a 27 on the first roll, and a 24 on the second, with the second also having a Tengwar rune. While Frerin isn't going to use it himself, it is definitely interesting how good the restored shield turns out, both for judging how fit it is as a gift, and since it might end up in the possession of another PC.
Ellisidil
Apprentice
Apprentice
Journey Role: Scout (P)

Unread post by Ellisidil » 05 Jul 2019, 10:25

I have a question for you, since I have been busy, when I went with you, what was I supposed to learn? I would like to find out if I can get to learn how to work to get the dwarven arrow heads for my arrows. or better yet the windlance arrow technology, more for those nasty creatures that we might run into..and lore, from the library about the region
Frerin
Apprentice
Apprentice

Unread post by Frerin » 06 Jul 2019, 21:10

I'm not exactly sure what you wanted to learn in Erebor? My impression was you were going to reseach the lion-head sword, maybe? Lore about the region would also always welcome, of course.

The windlances are a non-canonical invention by Peter Jackson for his Hobbit movie trilogy, so I'm pretty sure they are not in the TOR game. Nor do I know about any special dwarven arrow-heads (the only special arrowheads in TOR as far as I'm aware are Numenorean). If either were to exist in the game, the undertaking to learn about how to make them would probably be "Study with a Master" - but I believe that the dwarvish master-smiths probably expect a higher Craft skill from their students than Ellisidil currently has.
Last edited by Frerin on 07 Jul 2019, 07:08, edited 1 time in total.
Fieranor of Imladris
LoreMaster
LoreMaster

Unread post by Fieranor of Imladris » 06 Jul 2019, 21:41

Everything you said is true. Unfortunately, there is also no specific skill or improvement I can think of to give for any sort of study as that. Apart from your (Ellisidil) Temporary Shadow Points starting to get up there or your having the desire make Erebor a Sanctuary, there is Search for Answers as an FPU; technically, you're not supposed to have access to that FPU until you have the place you want to study in as a Sanctuary... however, when have I ever done everything 100% correctly by the Rules as Written. Ellisidil, please select one of the three listed as FPUs available to you so you're ready to go when when this Adventure really gets started?
Fieranor of Imladris
LoreMaster
LoreMaster

Experience to Grow Between Sessions

Unread post by Fieranor of Imladris » 13 Oct 2019, 21:50

Harald,

You've accrued a few experience points for expenditure, if you desire. You may increase one of the following and here are the things available for you to spend it on...
  • either Athletics, Healing, Hunting, or Stealth to Rank 1 for the cost of 4 general XP, leaving 0 remaining;

• Lore to Rank 1 for 1 you already have in the skill plus 3 general XP, leaving 1 remaining.

Again, you are not required to spend anything, this is just giving you options if you would like to.
Fieranor of Imladris
LoreMaster
LoreMaster

Unread post by Fieranor of Imladris » 25 Oct 2019, 12:58

Morning, 20 March 2947, The Town of Galford
LoreMaster Note I have not come up with a specific list of things for you to be able to sell, but I would consider many things as having the possibility of being available. Whom in the town would you approach, first, what would you attempt to sell them, and what price would you set? The One Ring LMBr, the Lake-town Sourcebook, the AiMe Player and GM guides are up for use, and if you have WFRP 2nd Edition, I might even accept some things from there. Just let me have game, book, and page, and I think you could knock out a little bit.
Frerin
Apprentice
Apprentice

Unread post by Frerin » 28 Oct 2019, 16:53

Out-of-Character ...getting turned away at the door once they find out what the junk he sold them was acutally worth.
I don't know that 30% is not already going to be too high... raising prices one-third above the original cost is pretty steep, I would think. I think it is in today's world, but realize more often than not we purchase many things for between 150% and 600%.

I could just say Rebecca points you in the direction of the General Mercantile although, she admits, the town remains fairly well-stocked with items.
Buying Athletics rank 1 also sounds good, I should probably have done that at character creation anyway.
Okay, it's way late, my friend. I'll have to get this, tomorrow, but it will get done. :)