Onna's Journal (Personal Use)

This forum is specifically for Mark's character, Onna. If you are not Mark D, you may read and enjoy the forum, but only Mark can edit, add posts, etc.
ArBes-Onna
Scout (Second Career)
Scout (Second Career)

Onna's Journal (Personal Use)

Unread post by ArBes-Onna » 13 Mar 2006, 21:30

My name is Ar' Bres-Onna Teasen-Virrea, of Altdorf. I am keeping this journal in the hopes that if my time on this earth is cut short, either by sword or natural act, that someone will find this and know that I was here and tried to makie a difference. This is my story...

I was born originally as Amrod Tîwele, the second son to a rather well to do family of outfitters and trackers, in the city Altdorf on the 20th of May, 2378. My parents are Dínendal (My Father) and Nessa (My Mother) Tîwele. My brother is Amras, and is 24 years my senior.

Our family business is in its 5th generation, and has a rather lucrative client list. Amras, born August 11th, 2354, is much more involved with the family business, and has his own clients. He is about 6’-0” tall, rather tall for an elf, and weighs almost 170 pounds. Although he is larger than most elves, he has light brown hair and bright blue eyes which the females find irresistible, A fact that is not lost on Amras. Not only is he a natural when it comes to woodsmanship and navigation, he is also our father’s favorite son, and flaunts this in my face whenever the opportunity arises. Although well educated, Amras is somewhat lazy, and takes his station in life for granted. Although this is overlooked by our doting father, it is a constant source of friction between us.

Although smaller and less popular than my brother, I am a fair guide and tracker in my own right. Although this fact was often overshadowed by my brother’s accomplishments, I none the less spent every spare moment in the surrounding forests of Altdorf, learning all I could about the creatures and plant life I encountered there. The truth be known, my only goal in life is to live up to my father's expectations, and be treated as my brother’s equal.

By the time I was a young man of 85, I grew quite restless with my life in Altdorf. Although very close to my mother, I had grown increasingly distant to my father and brother. Not that I didn’t love and respect them, I just felt more like an outcast in my own family, preferring to spend my days in the wilderness, exploring nature and learning what I could from being part of it. Money and prestige, it seemed, was the driving factor in the life of my father and brother, instead of honesty and integrity. After meeting a group of adventurers one night in the local tavern, I decided I would make my own way in the world. After several weeks of deliberation, I finally confided my decision to leave home to my mother. Although she was terribly worried, and sad that her son was leaving, she understood my decision and supported it. After many nights of careful planning, and a small loan from my mother, I was finally ready to announce my departure to the rest of the family.

On a bright spring day in late May, I announced my intentions to my father and brother after helping with the horses. At first my father said nothing, and I feared he would explode in a fit of rage, but then to my (and my brothers) surprise, he embraced me and with tears in his eyes, asked why I had made this decision without first consulting him. Stunned by my father’s reaction, I blurted out the reasons and that I had feared angering him beyond reason. After several long minutes, my father finally looked into my eyes and said “I am sorry for pushing you away my son. I wish you well on your journey, wherever you may wander, and that I will always keep a lantern lighted and the hearth warm for your return”. Shocked by this, and with tears of my own, I embraced my father and swore I would one day return to him and our family, and when I did, they would be proud of what I have become. Taking one last look into my eyes, he said "I shall accept that as your oath son, and will look forward to your return", then he turned and left the shop. Turning to my brother standing beside the fireplace, I offered my hand in farewell. Amras, however, was not as understanding as our father. He looked at my offered hand, and said ”Do not expect my sympathy brother when the world is heavy upon you, for you have chosen folly over good fortune and wealth”. Then, he turned and headed to the door. Pausing, speaking over his shoulder, said “you will be back my brother, and when you return, you will be happy to be my second, as it is the natural order of things” then he left, leaving me standing alone in the room.

After leaving Altdorf, I wandered the forests and towns of the empire for many years, honing my skills as a tracker and becoming an Outrider. I loved the freedom of my new career, and made a modest living at it. After almost 20 years of travel, I finally felt I had accomplished what I had set out to do so long before, become a skilled guide and tracker to carry on my father’s name.

In the fall of the 23rd year after leaving home, I finally returned to Altdorf and my family home. True to my father's word, there was a lantern in the window in the front of the house, and there was wood smoke form the chimney as he had promised. It was early evening and the sun was setting in the west when I mounted the steps of my old front porch. I was a different man from when I left, experienced and worldly beyond my years, and wanted more than anything to see my father to show him what I had become. But when I walked through the door, a feeling of dread came over me. I couldn't place it at first, but after a few moments I realized that my father's cloak and boots were missing. They were not near the door next to my mother's as usual. A sinking feeling settled into my gut as I walked to the great room to find my Mother. She was sitting in front of the hearth, knitting in her chair and humming to herself as always. We embraced, and spent the next few minutes catching up. I asked where my father was, and her face turned ashen. She told me that he had died from the pox almost a year before, and that he left me a note. She went to a small box on the mantle and produced the note my father had left me before he passed on. It read:

"Son, if you are reading this, you must by now know that I have passed on to the afterlife. I have kept my promise, and, if you are in posession of this note, you have kept yours as well. I am very proud of what you have become, but more so that you have kept your oath to me. Because of that, I bestow upon you a name, so that all who meet you will know you and respect who and what you have become. From henceforth, you shall be known to the world as Ar'Bes-Onna Teasen-Virrea. Fare thee well my son. and my your journeys always see you safely home"

The name, (Man Oath Keeper, Tracker of Success in the common tongue) was the greatest gift of respect I could have received. I spent that night sitting in the great room alone, wishing I had been home sooner. After many tears, and much contemplation, I decided that the best way to honor my father was to spend my life living up to the name he had given me. It is what drives me, and gives me purpose, even now so many years later.

After a few days with my mother, I travelled back to my father's old outfitters shop, where my brother had become the sole proprietor since my father's death. When I walked into the shop, I was disappointed with what had become of my father's life work. Instead of the quaint, respectable modest shop I had remembered, my brother had turned it into a tourist attraction, perferring glitter and shine to quality and function. I spent a few minutes walking the shop, feeling the anger well up inside me, when a clerk came to me and tried to get me to buy something, or charter a trip. I respectfully declined, leaving the shop and returning to the house of my mother. After a year at home, working as guide for my brother, I grew weary of his shady dealings so I left again. This time, I headed to the sea and spent a year as a deck hand to clear my mind (that is a story for another time), but found that I missed the forests and hills. Upon my return from the sea, I traveled from town to town serving as guide and tracker.

It was in this capacity, guiding for a group of buisnessmen from White Oak, when trouble finally found me. After a short ride ahead to scout tracks, I returned to our camp near the banks of the River Soll, East of the Grey Dog Pass, to find them all dead. Not from anything human, but torn to peices, slashed and ripped by some unknown animal. I found many tracks, Beastmen mostly, but none which I could follow. I am still here now, trying to sort out what to do next. I suspect after a short rest, the answer will come......
ArBes-Onna
Scout (Second Career)
Scout (Second Career)

June 17th, 2503

Unread post by ArBes-Onna » 25 Mar 2006, 10:24

June 17th, 2503 Late Afternoon:

The rain is slowing now, after the deluge of the past few hours, I will be glad to see the sky again. I have been here now for several hours just watching the water fall from the sky, pondering how I came to this place near the bank of the River Soll. The morning started off like any other, a short ride to look for tracks and game to hunt, but then it all turned upside down in a matter of minutes.

Having rested a while upon my return to our former camp, I decided the best course would be to bury the remains of my party. The ground was mostly peat and very few rocks, so it was easy enough to dig four shallow graves and mark them for anyone who may come looking for them. I am still trying to figure out what could have torn the hunter’s bodies almost completely limb from limb like that. Maybe it was the creature that made the tracks I ran across on the path here, or maybe something entirely foreign to my thinking, that I have yet to discover in this part of the wilderness. Whatever it may be, I shall be cautious where I wander from now on.

I managed to salvage what was left of our rations and some equipment from our wagon. Most of the horses had fled or were killed outright, but there were two small ponies still harnessed to the wagon when I returned. They were severely frightened and I had to work to calm them and unlimber them from the ruined wagon. From the debris I managed to secure enough rope and tack to fashion a small pack frame for each and secure the remaining equipment onto their sturdy backs. I imagine these items will come in handy in the days to come, either for trade or use, whichever need becomes greater I suppose.

I look around to where the ponies and my horse are picketed, and begin to think of what to do next. When I chose this spot, my only thought was to get my shelter up and some food in my belly before the rains came. My fire having gone out from the heavy downpour, I wonder now if this would be a good place to stay the night, or should I resume my trek back to town and report what happened? I must get word back to the authorities soon, although they will not think anything amiss for another few weeks. Our original plan called for us to be gone for several weeks anyway. I just feel like I should get word back soon….

Well, I have checked my horses and gear, and have decided to wait here until morning, and then resume my travels. This spot is concealed from casual observers on the road, and provided water and grass for my animals. I think I shall try to light another fire before dark, both for warmth and safety. I feel so tired from the emotional stress of the day and the tension of the ride to this point, so I think a few hours of sleep will help me think a little clearer.

Thinking again over the day’s events, I am both excited and fearful of what tomorrow might bring. I shall close for now and will write again when I am rested.

Onna
I'narr en gothrim glinuva nuin I'anor
(The bones of our foes will gleam in the sun)
Scout (Second Career)
Scout (Second Career)

Journal Entry, 18 June 2503

Unread post by ArBes-Onna » 26 Mar 2006, 21:22

June 18, 2503 Early Morning

Well, I have survived the night without mishap. My animals and gear, although a little wet, seem to be in order. After a light breakfast of field rations, I am sitting here pondering the events of the past few days. It is funny how life can turn on you so suddenly it makes your head spin. All was well when I left White Oak, then less than a week later, I am here, having lost my charges, and wondering if I will make it back to White Oak with my skin. Life sure is strange these days. I think I shall strike camp and make my way east this day. I will try to put as much distance between my former camp and myself as I can. Not that I am a coward, but there is an evil at work here that I am not fully prepared to stand against, at least not alone and with my current weapons. After seeing what happened to four stout men in the matter of a few short minutes, I am certain I would be dispatched from this world in very short order. Soon I shall reach the relative safety of White Oak, and there I can report what has befallen my party and enlist the help I need to combat this foul creature or creatures. It is the right thing to do, and it shall be done.

The sun is rising, and I have tarried long enough in this place. I will close for now and write more when I next stop for the night. May the Gods favour me this day.

~Onna
Scout (Second Career)
Scout (Second Career)

Unread post by ArBes-Onna » 18 Apr 2006, 22:09

June 18, 2503 Late Evening

This day has been one of many happenings indeed. I started out heading to White Oak, and then ran into a rather large caravan of soldiers and noblemen bound for Parravon. Rather than avoid them, I ran right into them while I was daydreaming. Not something I like to do, but I guess the strain of the last few days got to me. It was not bad though, as I was met by several adventurers who treated me kindly. There were two elves, a dwarf and a human. A rather odd mix of races, but nonetheless a friendly group.

I was brought before Count Von Gribbenheim, who apparently is the one who is presiding over the caravan, and told him my story. He was fair, and gave me his full attention, which in itself is unusual these days. He granted me the chance to prove myself and clear my name, even though my story itself sounded quite suspect. He also offered to charter my services as a scout for his caravan headed west. I accepted, as there was no other choice really. I could have declined and rode on to White Oak or Nuln I suppose, but after hearing the Count speak, I decided it was best to ride with this group and assist where I may. He also allowed me to use his messenger to send word of the attack, and the fate of the group to the families. This was truly generous, so I wanted to repay him by providing my services to his cause. He offered a fair wage as well when the trip was complete, so I couldn’t refuse.

After the telling of my adventure, I met two elves, one man and one woman. The man, Caledor, seems to be a friendly sort, though a little quiet. His appearance is rather unremarkable except for a sling bag he carries with some type of scroll or something in it. I can not determine his profession, and I feel he will tell me when he is ready. I think he might be a healer or mystic, but I can not tell.

The woman, Athaeis, is a ranger as well. She is rather small, but she carries herself as one who is used to handling a weapon. I think she would be a good ally to have in a fight.

The dwarf, Smarty, is a friendly chap who seems to take every opportunity to bash any elf within earshot. Having met several dwarves over my years of travel, this is not unusual, but for him it seems like he does it to antagonize rather to insult. He seems to be rather friendly with the other elves of the party, almost to the point of kinship, but I will reserve that judgment until I know them better.

The human, Moritz is a healer. I did not get to speak with him much, as he was busy tending wounded along the length of the caravan, though he seemed very dedicated to his profession. A friendly fellow, typical of most humans, he made sure I was not hurt, and then hurried off to tend some soldiers at the rear of the caravan. I hope I am never in need of his services, though I imagine he performs them well.

Later in the day, while we crossed the bridge across the Soll, my second crossing, we encountered a dwarf running toward us. He seemed to be in some sort of trouble, so we met him halfway to the caravan, and Athaeis took him to see the count. While he was speaking with the Count, the rest of us took time during break to get acquainted, sharing some wine and a few stories under a large Elm. I must admit, it was good to relax for a while and have some fun for a change.

After a time, we put our stories and wine aside and continued with the river crossing. This was rather simple, but for the fact that the bridge could only sustain a small group or single wagon at a time. After completing the crossing, we rode into the foothills, toward Grey Dog Pass. I have seen no further sign of the beasts that attacked my hunting party, but I shall keep my eyes open for any further signs.

It is late now, and the weather is warm and the sky is full of stars. I think I shall close for now and try to sleep. I suspect I shall sleep sound this night, as it is my first in many nights that I am surrounded by watchmen, and have no need to worry about being set upon by some creature or thief.

~Onna
Scout (Second Career)
Scout (Second Career)

Unread post by ArBes-Onna » 18 Apr 2006, 22:09

June 19, 2503 Late Evening

Another day has passed, and we are still a few days out from cresting the summit of the pass. The day passed quickly, with hardly a moment to spend with my new found companions. It was a day of monotonous work; scouting trail, dislodging stuck wagons, quick meals and then back on the road. I don’t mind, though I hope these next days provide a little more in the way of excitement. It will surely make the time pass if there were something to exercise the mind. I hope the weather holds until we clear the pass, or it shall be difficult at best to cross. Well, it is late so I will close.

~Onna
Scout (Second Career)
Scout (Second Career)

Unread post by ArBes-Onna » 24 Apr 2006, 21:41

June 20, 2503 Early Morning

I have but a few minutes to pen this entry, but I shall take the time as it may be my last for a while. This morning, we were all awakened by a cry of fear, then pain as one of the soldiers of the caravan fell victim to some foul denizen of this land. We are two days from the summit of Grey Dog Pass, and I fear the hand of Chaos has finally found us. I am prepared, now, for another scouting expidition, though this time I am prepared for the worst, and my companions, Caledor, Smarty, Moritz, Athaeis and Angus are going with me. We are sure that this hunt will lead us into danger, but we go willingly for our own reasons.

The poor soldier who lost his life was almost completely decapitated by whatever attacked him. I could not find a trail, but Caledor insists he can track the beast by the taint of Chaos it has left behind. I know not of these things, though I have seen many things stranger in my travels, so I will assist how ever I can. The other members of the group, Moritz, Smarty and Athaeis seem to trust the mystic explicitly, so I have no reservations about following as well. The only member I have as yet to become aquainted with is the dwarf Angus. He seems quite reserved, and unwilling to share his reasons for joining our group, though he appears to be handy with an axe. Time will tell though, and I shall keep my wits about me.

We are ready now, so I shall close for now. I shall write more when, or if, I return from this adventure.

May Kurnous smile upon us!

~~Onna
Scout (Second Career)
Scout (Second Career)

Unread post by ArBes-Onna » 23 May 2006, 22:38

June 22, 2503 Mid Day

Much has happened since I last wrote! It seems that the culprit from my last entry was in fact an agent of Chaos. We struck out to the Southwest as soon as we were ready, heading for certain danger. I took only what I could carry, and left my ponies and Hu-Thar with the quartermaster for care while we were away. The first day passed rather uneventfully, though we seemed to notice a rather marked lack of a trail. No matter what I tried, or how many times I used the skills I have relied upon my entire life, I could not find anything of use to aid us in tracking the beast, which turned out to be more than one.

The next morning, our second day away from the caravan, we continued more or less due Southwest. Again we seemed to be unable to find any sort of trail, which began to play on the nerves of our small party. Angus, the dwarf we found running down the road, seemed to open up a bit about his past. It seems he was a Tomb Robber prior to joining our small group. A rather unhealthy career I should think, though his lock picking skills proved extremely useful this morning. About mid day we came into a clearing and spied a mountain peak off in the distance, a few hours trek from us. We decided to investigate, and once we found a good vantage point we watched and waited. Noticing a cave and several small lakes in a small valley, we decided it was too late in the day to venture any further, so we retraced our route to a small clearing and camped for the night, our second. The weather, having turned decidedly colder, seemed to be our only enemy.

After another night on the cold ground, we were once again awakened by a piercing howl off in the distance. Bolting upright, I had only been asleep for a few hours after my turn on the watch, when I was again readying my gear for yet another day of travel. This time however, we were heading off to find the beast. Heading for the valley we had seen the day prior, we found ourselves on an earthen path leading up into the valley. This day was different though, as the inhabitants of this small cave were home and moving about. The beast, it turns out, was in reality four evil denizens of Chaos. The most worrisome, a Minotaur was seemingly the leader of three other beastmen.

After several moments of hurried deliberation, we had decided on a plan when the beasts began to move in our direction. All but one moved toward our place of hiding. The other, headed away from us, toward a group of until now unnoticed dire wolves! Seeing this, our decided leader of the group, Caledor, the elven mage, did the most unbelievable thing I had until now ever seen. He seemed to float above the ground for a moment, then streak off to stop directly in front of the beast heading to the wolves! I was stunned by his bravery, though at the time I thought it was most foolhardy. Realizing this could be his end, I just reacted. The entire ordeal still seems vague in my mind’s eye, though I remember shouting to the others as I rushed into the open to aid my newfound friend. Stopping midway to release my arrow, I tried to sprint forward, and found myself dazed and face down on the ice. Once recovered, I retrieved my sword and saw that Caledor had somehow subdued the beast, so I fired two arrows more into the flank of the nearest wolf. Then, to my dismay, two of the beasts broke free of their bonds and rushed at me! Without even thinking, my sword jumped into my hand and I cleaved the first one almost in two with a mighty swing, but not before the other clamped onto my arm with its foul mouth. I was so scared, but at the same time, I have never felt so alive! The exhilaration of battle is indescribable! I remember letting out a cry of pain, but then the wolf seemed to flash brilliantly and drop to the ground, lifeless. I still do not understand this, and I will ask my friend what it was I saw when the time is right.

I admit I do not remember what the others did, as I was quite concerned with mine own skin, but I did see Athaeis’ arrows buried deep in the flesh of one of the wolves I was embattled with. The elven hunter is truly amazing with her bow. She must have fired those from a very long distance, and the accuracy was uncanny!

After this battle, which I am still trying to sort through in my mind, a loud crack and rumble began under my feet. We all ran to the cave, the same in which I am writing this, and are now somewhat trapped inside by an avalanche of snow and ice. No one was hurt, fortunately, though my stout dwarven friend Smarty was buried at the entrance and we had to dig him out. It seems dwarves are almost indestructible! Again, we found ourselves seemingly outwitted by events, and again we managed to come out on top of it. Some treasures were found, and as I stated, Angus was able to open the chest which contained some coins, and some magical scrolls and healing poultices. For my part, the writing kit I am using for this entry and a grapple I claimed, and also a book of beasts. I plan to read this at length as soon as the situation permits.

As for now, we are here, still in this cave trying to find our way out to the sunlight. It is very cold, and nothing for a fire, so we must keep moving. I am not worried for my welfare now though, such as I was when we set out, for my newfound companions are well skilled in the art of war and healing, and I suspect, magic as well. Although we were strangers when we set out, I feel we are closer to life long friends after what we have survived. I am confident we can overcome this entrapment, and return to the caravan unscathed.

I shall close this for now, and finish when we return to the safety of the caravan. It is growing colder, and the day wanes somewhere outside this cavern and we must find our way out before nightfall. The Gods have been merciful on us this day, let us hope they continue to show good fortune toward our group.

~~Onna
Scout (Second Career)
Scout (Second Career)

Unread post by ArBes-Onna » 25 Jun 2006, 10:20

June 23, 2503 Late Evening

It has been only a day since my last entry, and we are back with the caravan, safely surrounded by the Count’s soldiers. My experiences in that wretched cave will stay with me for a long time I am sure. Once we moved from the main cave, we entered a twisting tunnel system. It was during this part of the journey that Angus was seriously injured. He has been placed under a physicians care and is traveling on a hospital wagon. I am not sure of his condition, though he was quite weak and fevered when we arrived at the caravan. He was injured by a large bear inside the caves. We came upon its den and slew the first, but the second was upon Angus before I could react. Smarty was the first to aid him, and defeated the beast with only one swing of his axe. Moritz, our doctor, treated him and bound his wound, allowing him to continue our journey. I know not when Angus will be healed, but from the sight of his wounds it may be some time. I do know that I have come to respect, and even like this dwarf. He was almost stand-offish when he arrived, but he has opened up some since our initial departure from the caravan several days ago. His axe has proved useful on more than one occasion, and he has allowed us to know he was a Tomb Robber prior to joining our group. I suppose this would make me hesitant to tell my tale as well, as most folks in this part of the Empire do not look kindly upon people in that line of work. Hopefully, he will pull through fine. I will continue to check his progress when time allows, as I am not sure what the Count has in store for us in the future.

After leaving the bear’s den, we continued through the tunnels until we found a shaft leading up to a cave. Smarty was able to translate an engraving we found on the wall, warning of danger and death. Having survived the terrors of this cavern already, we all seemed to take it in stride. The curious thing about it though was the fact that it was dwarven in origin. I was unaware that the dwarves had any type of community in this area. It had to be almost ancient, and it was surely abandoned many years ago, for now it was a den of evil, not fit for any human, be it dwarf or other. It was upon my climb out of this cavern that we met Claudia, another member of the original party that set out with the Count. I had not met her before this, as she was absent from the caravan when I arrived and took on duties as a scout. Upon climbing out of the shaft, I confronted Claudia and three soldiers fighting a few dozen green skins, snotlings they were. I was behind, and using a technique I had learned from watching Athaeis, I was able to fire four arrows so fast they didn’t even realize I was shooting until all four arrow found their mark. Then after a few more shots the little fiends fled out of the cave and into the forests beyond. A short reunion followed and then we were off again, bound for the safety of the caravan.

Our trip from the caves was uneventful, for which we were all thankful. It seems we have had our fill of adventure for a time. Upon arriving, we were confronted with several nervous soldiers. This was odd to me, but after speaking with the captain, we learned that the caravan had run into an Orc scouting party and defeated it, leaving the bodies burning in the pass to warn others to stay clear. I am not sure if this will frighten other Orcs, or enrage them to the point of attacking in force. Having little knowledge of theses beasts I am not sure how they will react, but from what I have heard in taverns and from travelers over the years, I am worried that the gesture may stir up trouble for us, as all green skins seem to be a rather brutal lot, and prefer a fight rather than discretion. We shall see though, I am sure the coming days will tell us the story.

Well, the hour is late and I still need to retrieve my gear from the Quartermaster here. I have eaten and washed with Herr Knowles, and told my story to the Captain, so now I shall collect my horses and equipment and settle down for the night, as I am utterly exhausted from our journey. A good night’s sleep is what I require most now, though I will be sleeping with an ear to the ground and my sword at the ready. I shall write more when I am rested.

~~Onna
Scout (Second Career)
Scout (Second Career)

Unread post by ArBes-Onna » 10 Jul 2006, 21:18

June 28, 2503 Mid Day

We have finally arrived at Parravon in Bretonia. The remainder of the journey over the pass was, for the most part, uneventful. Once we crested the pass and came down to the Bretonia side, we were met, or rather, “captured” by two regiments of Lancers of Bretonia. I found this to be somewhat strange, as I was unaware that relations between the Empire and Bretonia had deteriorated to the point of such distrust and war-like actions. I thought our two countries were on more friendly terms, though I have to admit I have spent the majority of the last few years in the wilderness keeping out of major cities, except for the occasional charter. I must be careful to pay more attention to the tavern-talk and stay abreast of these things…

Once arrived, as I have stated, we were informed that we were allowed only to roam the rather small township here. The lancers dispersed to their respective posts and we were received by a Duke, who shocked us all by recognizing the Count with which I am traveling. This in itself was another surprise, as the good Captain Berenkov was in reality the true Count! Once this was revealed, it began to make sense to me, as the “Count” seemed a little subservient to me on the trip here. Here…I can only wonder how a town as small as this could be a major crossroads. With only a dozen small buildings, it seems more like a hamlet than a city. I have not seen more than a few dozen citizens and from where I am writing this, I can not see any merchants of note, just a small market and perhaps a mercantile. If the entire country is this “common”, it’s a wonder so many of my kinsmen have come to this place to escape the threat of evil within the Empire.

To the south, if my memory serves, is the Forest of Loren. A haven for elven-kind in days past, I wonder if it is still so, and elves live free from the threat of Chaos. I should like to see for myself one day, and once my service here is complete, perhaps I shall travel there and see with mine own eyes if the stories are indeed true.

Alas, my daydreams must wait, for my companions are ready to explore this lovely little city. I would like to do some trading of my own while we are here, so I shall close for now and write more when time permits.

~~Onna
Scout (Second Career)
Scout (Second Career)

Unread post by ArBes-Onna » 13 Jul 2006, 23:09

July 2, 2503 Mid Morning

The days here have passed quickly, though with nothing to do they seemed to drag a bit at times. I was able to find some arrows to replenish my store, and even sell some of the extra gear I salvaged from my failed hunting expedition. I feel a little guilty at having sold these trappings, but word has been sent, and money and personal effects were left with the bodies, so there should be no question of rightful ownership. Still, I remain angered at what befell my party, and though I think we have removed the creature tha killed them, I will feel better, no, satisfed only when beasts of Chaos no longer plague the Empire.

But, for now I will return to the present, and the task at hand. We have decided as a group that we should stay together and travel with the caravan to Quenelles. Caledor has obtained an audience with the Count and securd permission to do so. in return, we shall pledge our swords and lives once again to its protection. There seems to be a slightly different attitude towards our group since arriving her. I might even be so bold as to sy we are held in higher esteem than the lowly travellers and mercenaries we started out to be, though we have become exactly that, mercenaries who seem to lend our "talents" to anyone or anything that pays what we require. The one difference between us and the real mercenaries is that we, or at least we seem to, hold ourselves to a higher standard, and hold fast to our beliefs as citezens of the Empire, rather than stoop to the bottom like so many others have. It is our ideals that separate us, and we must ensure to maintain this, or we shall be lost.

I look forward to this journey, as I feel much more confident in my own abilities, and the abilities of my comrades. Smarty and Angus, who has healed quite nicely thanks to our physician, are fierce fghtes and I would wager on them before all else. Caledor, though quite secretive of his abilities, is in fact a mage of some discipline. he has much power, though I suspect he is still trying master what he has at times. Athaeis, Claudia and Moritz have many skills, and they are fierce fighters in their own right. I am proud to call these people my friends, and comrades-in-arms.

Well, I will close for now and begin to prepare for the trek to Quenelles. I am both anxious and reluctant to leave the relative safety of Parravon, but with the current size of our caravan, we should be well equipped to handle what ever may arise.

~~Onna
Scout (Second Career)
Scout (Second Career)

Unread post by ArBes-Onna » 29 Oct 2006, 13:29

July 6, 2503, Late Evening

It has been four days since my last entry, and much has happened. Upon leaving Parravon, we encountered nothing more unusual than more rain. the journey was, although mundane, quite relaxing for the most part.

On the morning of the fourth day, this morning, that all changed. Upon topping a slight rise, a scout from the caravan came rushing up to the last wagon. He was pushing his mount to the point of exhaustion and no one could understand the reason. After a while, word was passed that a rather large force of green-skins, beast-men and the like were approaching from the north-west, slightly to our rear. The Count hastily set us up to defend and waitied for the enemy to appear.

It wasn't long and the largest army of beasts and mutants I had ever seen came into view, led by a Shaman and preceeded by a giant and several trolls. Ugly beasts that feed upon the rotting flesh of its enemies. Terrified beyond belief, I rode with my companions and a plan was hatched for us to ride out and slow the Giant and its allies. Though hopeless, the situation was desperate enough for us to go ahead with this scheme. To all of our amazement, it worked out to our benefit. Then, the Brettonian cavalry rode out to slow the main army. Suffering heavy losses, it did accomplish its mission, then returned to the line of men to ready for the next charge.

While this was happening, Moritz, our physician, headed off to assist in the surgeon's tent. I will never know how many lives he saved this day, or how he managed to retain his sanity through it all.

After what seemed like an eternity, the enemy finally met our line with a mighty sound of swords and shields clashing. A group of orcs broke through, and were it not for the cavalry once again, I might not have survived the day. Rushing to our aid, the horsemen of Brettonia slashed through the advance with hardly a moments hesitation. Caledor was also brilliant in this fight, though he disappeared shortly after cast some form a spell. later I discovered he passed out from the exertion, though I think there was more to it than he says. I will have to investigate this more later, when the time is better.

After this, the next several hours are a blur in my mind. I remember fighting and swinging, falling and rising again to swing at yet another enemy. Everywhere I looked there was men and beasts dying and screaming in pain. the earth turned crimson, and the air seemed to be alive with the sights and sounds of battle.

Finally, the Shaman who was their leader was felled, mostly by Caledor and Smarty, and a rather daring move by Claudia, who tripped up the beast so Smarty could finish it off. I am not sure where Caledor came from, but he appeared at the last and performed some type of magic that made the beast retreat, and allowed us to finish him off. But, unfortunately, Athaeis had already fallen to the Shaman's magic and it is still even now a mystery to us how to bring her out of her deep sleep. It is for this reason we have decided to travel into the Loren. I fear we have survived only to be lost forever within the realm of the Wood Elves. I am fearful of that place, for only a fool would willingly travel its depths. I pray we are making the right decision, and that Athaeis will come back to us before we enter, though I think in my heart that the elves there are her only chance for salvation.

As for our other dwarven companion, Angus, nothing is yet known of his whereabouts. He was last seen heading off with the infantry, but has not been seen since. Smarty and he were separated during the fight and now we fear he has been lost. It is hoped that he will be found among the wounded, or better yet alive and well, but after several hours the hope is beginning to fade. Only the Gods have the answer and they are so far reluctant to give it to us.

Well, I shall close for tonight, as tomorrow may well prove to be a long and tedious day for us. I will write again when the opportunity arises.

May the Gods watch over us and grant us good fortune.

~~Onna