Caledor's Journal (Personal Use)

This forum is specifically for ??????????'s character, Caledor. If you are not ??????????, you may read and enjoy the forum, but only ?????????? can edit, add posts, etc.
Caledor
Journeyman Wizard (Second Career)

Caledor's Journal (Personal Use)

Unread post by Caledor » 10 Jan 2006, 19:45

Wythea,

I’ve only been with Count von Griebenheim’s band a short few days in his service as a paid freelancer. I still think it somewhat amusing that I tried selling my services as a healer while downplaying my skills at magick, but he hired me as a mage. May he never learn how little magick his coin has bought. Oh well, I was honest in portraying myself and my talents. Besides, I have just committed my first new spell to memory and cast Zone of Silence with ease now. I won’t be blowing any adversaries to bits or raining brimstone upon the heads of a regiment any time soon, but at least I will learn how to better aid my companions as they are about any necessary hostilities. And my sword arm is just as good as it ever was in case I have to resort to that.

Speaking of companions, I have been invited to join a small group. There’s an elven archer, Atheais, a Slayer who calls himself Smarty (Have you ever heard such a silly pseudonym? Naugrim!), a halfing Troubador named Brentif and a human squire of the Knights Wolverine named Lanis Fritzwold.

The Slayer is every bit the stereotype so far and I’m trying to give him a fair, but cordial distance. No need in antagonizing him by trying to be friendly. I’m going to have to earn his respect silently, I believe.

Brentif is also very stereotypical, but that does mean he plays a lute and loves to sing. I think I’ll have few boring days with him around to strum and I would not be surprised if we make good friends.

Lanis, like most humans, remains the puzzle to me. He’s a bit humorless and I can’t figure out of he is leader of this group or just thinks he is. His association with the Knights of the Wolverine gives him some weight, especially while we are surrounded by them, but no one seems to give him deference. It’s a little discomforting not to know how much respect he should be given. I don’t want to be seen as a troublemaker – if the Count has given him this band to command, then so be it, but if he is just assuming authority then there’s no sense being the first to legitimize it either. The politics of living among man – it seems we’re just supposed to know who is in charge, those who are in charge often should not be and those who are not in charge often act as if they are.

Speaking of Lanis, it seems he is also a bit jealous of me, or at least he was at first. I’ve done nothing other than be an elf while he is smitten with Atheais. The poor man has a breaking heart and I can see he knows not how to win Atheais’ love. Just this evening he announced he was going to get a room and asked her to join him if she cared to before turning and tromping off. I suspect he got rip roaring drunk at some saloon and wallowed in grief that she didn’t follow him like a common slut might have. Poor guy. I just wonder if Atheais is going to end his hope of wedding her or let him wither for weeks before the inevitable dramatic moment when he finally realizes his predicament and says or does something he will no doubt regret. Strangely, I know that human men are aware of this pattern in their behavior, yet they persist. I must concur that their brain loses functionality in the presence of women to whom they are attracted. By the way, he actually proposed from what I hear, and you wouldn’t believe how and when, but that’s another story.

Atheais – I know little about her except that she bears a strong nationalism for the Empire and is a bit on the emotional side. Nonetheless, I sense that she is stable in her comportment and is probably the glue that holds this multi-racial group together. Everyone likes her if they like no one else. Even Smarty cracks jokes with her.

We’re currently on the outskirts of Schlacht des Hügel-Dorfs on our way to deliver the Count’s daughter to the man everyone keeps calling “that pig” Quenelles for her arranged marriage. The air of something amiss is palpable. And it’s not just that Damian Masters has managed to negotiate accompanying the Count on this trip. I know, I know, I completely skipped the part about how the mission was accomplished but that is not as interesting. In a few words, Masters invited the Count to negotiate and I think the two of them accompanying the Lady Jenna to Quenelles was all Masters’ idea. I don’t know why he wanted that, but he has something up his sleeve. He speaks of bringing greater harmony to the Empire and Brettonia, but somehow he thinks he and Jenna will be together happily ever after. Did I mention that men lose all ability to think rationally in the presence of women with whom they are smitten? Still, he has choreographed everything to this point, so if anyone can pull it off, he might. I wouldn’t bet against him.

I mentioned that something seems amiss… The townsfolk were all in a hurry to be indoors at dusk and Masters has the whole camp buzzing with rumors of Chaos in the border region between the Empire and Brettonia. Supposedly, the forces of Chaos are sowing discord and Masters thinks he can help the Empire and Brettonia become aware of the problem to deal with it. If he pulls this off, they’ll either give him a duchy somewhere or imprison him so they don’t have to.

And of course he would have to be right in the first place. I’d be lying if I said I had no fear, but imagine if this is true. I will be here as a bit player on the stage, on the side of good trying to turn the tide against that ancient and powerful foe. This is the life of an adventurer and I embrace it, indeed I covet it.

Speaking of coveting, the Masters business and Lanis got me thinking how I also admire those who are happily wed. Our relationship is what it is for now, but one day I hope that we will be a happy couple. I commit to it, in fact. You are beautiful to me and I hope I never give you cause to refer to me as “that pig.”

~~~~ Caledor
The truth is stranger than fiction...

Unread post by Caledor » 23 Apr 2006, 08:47

Wythea,

It's only been a few days since my last letter was sent, but much has transpired. I now know we face Chaos.

The town I spoke of last time was under the curse of a liche. After a couple of nights, we won the help of some ghosts and were led to their unburied corpses, or so we thought. Instead, we encountered the liche and battled the hideous undead creature. If he were not so arrogant, he might have killed us all. Instead we all survived. It was me, Smarty, Atheais, Lanis and a pair of soldiers from the caravan who battled. While Smarty occupied a skeletal champion, the rest of us engaged the liche. Having no other recourse and sensing the necessity of it, I prepared myself for death and charged the creature with my blade!

I am pressed for time, but the fireball damage is healing nicely thanks to a salve from Moritz. The same spell nearly killed both me and Lanis. We recovered an interesting journal and personal items from the liche, but nothing of immediate great import.

Oh, the halfling suffered a broken heart and ran off into the woods. What an odd little critter he was.

Then the day after we left town, we encountered Onna, an elf Scout who had lost his charges to some foul beast or beasts while he was scouting the trail ahead. We also encountered a new dwarf, Angus, and he's every bit the thick tongued, thicker skulled caricture of children's tales. I'm surprised he hasn't taken a swipe at any of us elves yet. But again, maybe he'll turn out to be honorable if not pleasant. I have doubts though, because he's told everyone the reason he was out and about alone is his own business. It sounds like he was up to no good.

This morning a soldier was killed by some unknown monster. His head was almost obliterated in one blow from a mighty claw. There was a scream that woke us in time to hear the body hit the ground. No one saw a thing. No one can find tracks. But I sense the way the thing went from the trail of chaos taint it left behind.

As I write, the others are binding their arms and armor because Moritz has volunteered us to track it. It seems to me a fool's errand, but then I never would have imagined to survive an encounter with a liche at this point in my career either.

~~~Caledor

Unread post by Caledor » 25 Jun 2006, 09:10

Wythea,

It's amazing how battle bonds those of different backgrounds. I'm feeling more kinship now with my companions after we have had several life or death struggles.

Onna, Atheais, Smarty, Moritz and even Angus are all brave. I'm coming around to liking Angus. He's still himself, but he's opened up just a little and I no longer feel like he's waiting for an excuse to start hacking at someone. He was a spelunkerer of tombs - not the most honorable of professions. That would cause me to be a little tight lipped and edgy as well, I suppose. Of course, he also knows my secret, which is hard to hide in battle when it's needed most.

I have not forgotten the reason for our last mission - that poor dead sentry who was killed with a single blow to the head. It turns out beastmen are nearly impossible to track without fey sight. If I could not sense the monster's track we would never have located him. As it was, we tracked him for two days to discover his lair, where it was partnered with two other beastmen and a minotaur!

The third morning, after a second brutally cold night camped in the mountains above the snow line, we trekked down to the lair, which we scouted visually from a higher vantage point. Fearing their obvious might compared to our decided lack of foot soldiers, we tried to use the terrain to our advantage and lure them to a certain spot between a lake and a rock outcrop so we could not easily be flanked.

Of course no plan survives contact with the enemy and they heard our approach so we waited in hopes to lure the two beastment they sent as scouts into the wood line, where we hoped to overwhelm the two before engaging the remaining monsters. Alas, that plan was spoiled when one of the beastmen started toward some tethered dire wolves! (hehe, I neglected to mention those. I saved some drama for you.)

Onna and I streaked across the snow and ice to cut him off. If those wolves had been unleashed, we would have been overrun in seconds. The beastman succumbed to my secret, fortunately. Meanwhile the dwarves, the medic and Atheais put an amazingly lopsided thumping on the other beastmen and the minotaur. What skill! And maybe a little fortune on all of our parts.

About the time the dire wolves started breaking free of their tethers, the dying minotaur's screams started a snow slide down the mountain into our valley. We barely escaped, but had to do it through mountain caves and tunnels.

The hour is late, so I will attempt to be brief for the remainder of the telling of this last adventure. The chaos spawn had a small horde, which included a very interesting book you shall see someday soon. Everyone shared the treasure as they felt best without the greedy snatching I expect of adventurers - that was a most welcome relief! We encountered two chaos bears on our way out, one of which nearly ripped Angus' arm clean off. It's amazing he survived, really. And then we had to scale a 40' vertical to come up near the surface where a search party that the caravan had sent was battling snotlings. The mountains are crawling with chaos! The leader of that band, the human female Claudia, said they encountered a greenskin scout (I forget whether it was ork or goblin) and on our way back to the caravan we saw tracks of large parties of ork-kind.

We are now back with the caravan, and well fed a warm meal by the way. However, the caravan also had an encounter with a large scout party of ork-kind and left their bodies burning in a pass as a warning. I fear it will simply be a call to WAAAAAGGGHHHH!!!!!!, as the Orks like to yell. But maybe I should not use the word 'fear' too hastily as I am growing more confident in myself and my companions with every test we pass.

Now I'm going to study this book some more, pray to the one God to watch over you and get some rest before tomorrow. Good night, love,

~~~ Caledor

Unread post by Caledor » 20 Jul 2006, 08:02

Wythea,

It's chaos and greenskins across the horizon on the hilltop we just crossed. I suppose there is little hope of the caravan outrunning them and we have decided to fight. The odds would be bleaker except we have joined with a very large contingent of Brettonians from Parravon. I know not how far we are from other help or what the local populace here might do in the face of the chaos horde, so the Brettonians would likely stand in any case and we will stand with them. When I continue this letter, it will be to tell you of the outcome. Men will die, but with providence of their Creator, they can prevail on the field this day.

The call for archers to ready has just gone out. It is a shame I have not the skill at archery and must wait for closer ranges. Until after the battle, then....

Unread post by Caledor » 29 Oct 2006, 12:44

Wythea,

Though it has only been less than a day since my last entry, I am writing again to let you know I have survived the battle. Though the hour is late, I feel compelled to write this in the hopes it will somehow sort the events of the day out in my own mind.

After the initial volley of arrows, a group of a few dozen green-skins broke through the lines and charges straight at us. Though I am not sure exactly what happened, I do know I have changed in some way. Let me expound on this as it is confusing to me as well. After a short argument with our hunter, Athaeis, I refused to seek the higher ground for reasons unknown even to myself, and attempted to cast one of my more powerful spells. Standing there, I drew upon the energy contained within the winds and gathered it together as always. I know you have not much knowledge of these things, but I will try to explain when we are together once again. As I drew the energy to me, I felt something I have not before felt, a surge of power unlike anything that has come before. Not having the time to explore this, I released the energy at my foe, and for the briefest of moments, felt a surge within me, then all went black.

I awoke sometime later, an hour perhaps, covered in mud and quite disoriented. After collecting my thoughts, I went forward to find my companions once again, fearful that I had somehow failed them with my haste. But, it was for naught, for they appeared to me, several dozen yards away, battling for their very lives. Oh the bravery they displayed! Smarty, our dwarven slayer, was swinging his axe so fast it was only a blur! He was a sight to behold! And Athaeis, Onna and Claudia, fighting with a fierceness known only to the Gods! I feel so fortunate and safe to call these heroes friends.

But I digress. After running as hard as I could to catch up with them, I arrived as they were about to embattle a Shaman of Chaos. An evil brute with horrific powers and absolutely no fear. I did the only thing I could think of in my weakened state, and cast a sound spell to distract him, and then once that waas done I silenced him to prevent him from casting. It Worked! I was so exhausted by this time, that I fear I blacked out again, only to awaken to Onna shaking my shoulder. It seems that my efforts were the pivotal point in the fight, as once the shaman was defeated, the rest of the green-skins broke and ran, the magic used to command them to fight having been destroyed.

But alas, I fear I may have been too late with my magic, for Athaeis, our fair hunter, has lapsed into a deep sleep, undoubtedly from the Shaman's magic and I am unable to heal her. Angus too, is missing and we all fear he is lost to us in this world. The rest, though bloodied and exhausted have survived relativel;y unscathed, though the force we had leaving Parravon is but a shadow if itself now. It has been decided by us, myself and my companions, that we should try to seek aid for Athaeis within the Forest of Athel Loren. though a perilous place, I feel the only salvation for her lies within its darkness, at the home of the wood Elves. I pray we can get her there in time and that she may be saved.

Well my love, the hour is late and I must rest if I am to travel on the morrow. I shall close this entry for now, and write more when we are on our way. Sleep well my dear, and I shall see you as soon as the Gods will allow it.

~~~Caledor