Reading Your WFRP 2, 3rd Gen Character Record

This is where you get to find out about the rules of posting and playing in this forum. Questions and problems with these rules can be addressed here, as well.
Tithenon
LoreMaster
LoreMaster

Reading Your WFRP 2, 3rd Gen Character Record

Unread post by Tithenon » 21 Dec 2012, 15:35

There will be no further character sheets made by me,
if I can keep myself from doing it.

How to Read Your
Warhammer Character Record
First, let me express that I know this thread is going to take some time to read, but I honestly believe it will be greatly to your benefit to do so. The thread is split into several different posts, which should make it relatively easy for you to take a break periodically, and return later, when you’re ready for the next round.

The Absolute Basics: Before you go getting into the much longer explanation/ description of these things, you have the opportunity to get the general gist by reading the following:
  • Character Development: For those who know the Warhammer FRP 2nd, or even 1st Edition game(s), or for those who've been in fantasy for a long time, you don't have to read the character development post. Simply, write up a history and/or background for your character, their religious preference(s), deity, devotion, etc., family development, friends, enemies, things your character has done that you would like to have an effect on our game, and send it to me. I will work with you to make happen what you believe will help you have the best experience in our game world. If you need further definitions of certain things, however, you may want to read on in this thread, anyway, and/or ask questions as you feel it necessary to do so.
  • Your Stuff: If you are comfortable with this 3rd Generation version of the 2nd Edition WFRP character record, or you just aren't all that concerned with what and where your character's crap is, or both, then don't worry about having a look at your gear, familiarizing yourself with your character record, or asking questions. On the other hand, keep reading...
  • Game Mechanics: If you're familiar with 2nd Edition WFRP, and have no questions whatsoever, then don't worry about reading anything else, but keep in mind the House Rules and the Combat Actions, which can be found equally in my signature at the bottom of every single one of my posts. On the other hand, keep reading...
This character record is a monstrosity, it’s huge, but it’s designed that way on purpose. I wanted to give the same immersive feel to the sheet that 1st Edition Warhammer Fantasy Role-Play provided with theirs, but I also wanted to make sure the information you have at your fingertips is as well-organized and compartmentalized as I could get it, and there was enough space for you to live through your characters, advancing them by adding information, but not really distorting the page. In short, the character pages you have for Characteristics & Combat, Knowledges, Party & History, and Wealth, Gear & Careers are pages I organized the sections for and hand-drew for an off-line character sheet. Then, of course, I got the hair to program all of this into a comprehensive group of pages, a template that could be used to make the rest of your characters, placing them in a printable page-by-page format that you should be able to access and, once you’re used to them, easily find your information. I apologize, Magisters, but your Grimoire is entirely made up online, I’ve yet to draw one, though I’m likely to put together a page, as soon as I have some Vellum paper to work with, again, for the off-line version.

Feel free to open your character record, starting with your introduction page, open all of your pages, and follow along. This will help you get used to your character packet, and help you find points that may be key to you, the player. Feel free to look around at the other character's packets, as well, if you find yourself looking for ideas toward character completion; inspiration comes in many ways, but having things to compare to is always the greatest help.

I recommend that you put notes down on paper as you’re moving through each of these sections and seeing what could be done, and then write me an email with your notes, input, adjustments, etc. I will take care of them in the order I receive them –do not rush, send only when satisfied with your changes–, but I’m pretty quick in taking care of things like this.

Perhaps one of the most important aids you will run across for our game is the House Rules PDF file, which is made up, mostly, of the game’s rules, with a few tweaks here and there. You can find this at the far-right of the links-line at the top and bottom of any of your character record pages, Rules, or for Mages at the far-right of the line on your Grimoire page. The link is also in my Signature at the bottom of every single one of my posts, and you can access it, here… http://www.wolvesau.net/wh/WFRP2_House_ ... akdown.pdf. All of the most basic, and most important, rules of the game, and how we play it, are here. It’s only two pages long, so don’t freak out.
GameMaster coming through, look out!
• Dice Rollers: Wizards of the CoastInvisible Castle; use either of these to make, copy and paste dice rolls into your posts.
What is a PbF Game, and How Do I Post in it?
Our House Rules
2nd Ed Magic Rules
How Do I Read My Character Record (Character Development, Your Stuff..., and Game Mechanics)
Character Concepts and Ideas
Tithenon
LoreMaster
LoreMaster

Re: Reading Your WFRP 2, 3rd Gen Character Record

Unread post by Tithenon » 21 Dec 2012, 16:29

Character Development
One of the most important parts of playing in a role-playing game, to many players, is in developing a character they can not only relate to, but allows them to feel powerful, useful, and which they can imagine with ease. The imagination of the player and the imagination of the GamesMaster may be two entirely different things, but then that’s because those differences proceed from different levels of knowledge, gaming experience, and what’s acceptable to the GM and the Player. Neither of these are wrong, and both of these are wrong, simultaneously; as long as its fun, and you can play together, who cares, just do it.

The following sections have been designed into your character record to allow you, the Player, to work with the GM to develop –as much as YOU want to– your character to help fill your imagination and give some modicum of continuity to what you want to do, where you want to take them.

INTRODUCTION PAGE – This is where we normally will have an image of your character, their name, sex, race, and general profession in the game. If any of these lines are not filled out (Birthplace, Family, Social Level, Religion, or Background) or are asking you for a Dice Roll, feel free to send me a percentage roll and reference what you’re rolling for, and I’ll be happy to get that squared away. This is especially important for your Star Sign and Dooming, though nearly all of this remains optional, as well. At the bottom-right of this page will be a link to either a journal page for your character, or for their on-forum journal. Either way, feel free to click on it and begin writing; side stories, notes, and pretty much anything else game-related you would like to put there, feel free to do so. These journals are supposed to be for you, and you alone, with others allowed to read but not write, unless you make a request to allow them in, so you should be able to put information here where it will remain unmolested by anyone else.

Finally, clicking on the bottom-left link will get you to the front-page of your character sheet.

CHARACTERISTICS & COMBAT – The first thing you’ll notice is the black bar across the top of this page; it’s at the top and bottom of every page in your character record, and your notes page and, for mages, in your Grimoire. Home will take you to our Warhammer root page, Characteristics & Combat will take you to the front page of your character record, and then each button to the right of that, starting with Knowledges, will open each page in a new tab or window, depending on your browser settings. I set it up this way, specifically, so you could get your pages opened quickly and have them available for ease of reference while reading and writing on the forums.

Starting from the top of the page, below the menu line, the Character Description block allows you to write a first impression, what you would want other Player-Character’s to see as your character enters a room, or walks onto the scene, or whatever general impression you would like for others in the game world to have. This block should be able to hold, roughly, 225 characters, including spaces and punctuation, though if you wish to write more than that, I will simply break up what will fit into the first box, and then link the rest to your character’s Notes page.

PARTY & HISTORY – In the middle of this page, you’ll see the Talent, and Other, Notes block, which is meant to allow you to put combo and other special use notes concerning Talents and Skills for your character, combined with weapons, armor, etc., though honestly you can put anything you want, here. If you find things you regard as useful, though they may also be seen as rules exploits, it’s best to work out something with the GM and go with it in the game, rather than getting into a huge argument over silly shit.

In the Religion & Faith block, if you wish to play within the game world’s religions, be aware that nearly everything is considered to be a cult. If you do not want to develop a religion, or if you would prefer to list your real-world faith and/or religion, simply let me know. In-game religion can be fairly simple, just tell me what sort of deity you would like for your character to keep broadly in-mind during play, I’ll give you a complete write-up on any deity that would be close to your description, and you can tell me what you would like to do from there. In Warhammer, many deities can be worshipped at the same time, however, so if you wanted all of them, you could have that, too. In that case, I would probably simply forward my copy of Tome of Salvation to you, and you can read to your heart’s content, and play on what you read.

I'm not as 'sticky' on religion as I used to be, realizing that these are only for the game, so feel free to role-play, just don't get too far out of hand, or there may be restrictions.

In the Titles, Licenses, & Holdings block, this space is reserved for any titles your character might receive, any licenses or grants they may have. If you wish to seek after a particular title, give me a description of what you’re looking for, and let’s see if we can find that in the game, preferably through role-play.

The Companions & Animals blocks are, quite honestly, insufficient for the needs of long-term characters, though I will not begin putting together an alternates/ additions web page for anyone until it’s time to do that. If you wish to have special notes for your animals, names for heretofore unnamed beasties, or you would like to have, or collect, followers, we’ll need to work through that on an as-needed basis.

Finally on this page, the Character History & Notes block is for exactly that… the background, history, description, and historical notes of your character’s life, more often than not BEFORE they were a part of the main campaign/ game. Typically, if I am given a Background and/or History for a character, this will go not only on the INTRODUCTION PAGE for that character, but as much of it as possible in this block, as well. For the rest, I will simply break up what will fit into the first box, and then link the rest to your character’s Notes page.

WEALTH, GEAR, & CAREERS – The Encumbrance block towards the lower-left of this page is, greatly, for combat and mechanics purposes and will not, hopefully, have all that much effect on the role-playing aspect of our game. In truth, I welcome you to take all of your equipment, as you’ll see in the next main section, and shuffle it around as you’re comfortable to do, send your solution to me in email with the rest of your notes and questions, and I’ll get things shuffled around. You may want to do this for the sake of relative realism or, if you’re comfortable with the way things are, that’s fine, too; just remember, pack animals are great for tying things off on, but if they’re left out in the open while you’re away, they may also be taken. The way encumbrance works in the game will be discussed in a follow-on post.

The Disorders/Insanities block is there to keep track of your most recent insanity, those incurred by failed Terror checks, critical hits, and other means of incurring Insanity Points. For all of you, clicking on the number of Insanity Points you have from the Characteristics & Combat page, in your Secondary Characteristics, or the point(s) listed in the small corner block, here, will take you to your Notes page, where your Insanities will be documented. One of these days, I may go back into the very beginning of the game, and account for when Insanities were accrued, though I assure you the numbers listed there, now, are true. You should not need to keep notes on any Disorders arising from the accrual of Insanity Points, but if you decide to send me a note, anyway, it will be listed on your character’s Notes page with the Insanity record.

The Background block concerns the basics of your character’s past, most of which are found on the character’s Introduction page, anyway. In fact, this portion of the character record helped me when designing that page. LFBG means the Liber Fanatica BackGround your character possesses, which all of you should have completed, by now. This is, again, a place to register your character’s religion and, if you decide to develop that portion of your character, the information will go on the Introduction page, and here, along with your Dooming.

The Career Planning blocks are supposed to be a relatively easy way for you to keep up with what remains for you to purchase for your current character, game-wise, before you may advance to a new career in the game. This includes Characteristics, Skills, Talents, and Trappings you need to collect to move into the new career.

For some of your Characteristics, they may list that you need, for example, +15 for a stat, but you’ve already purchased +10; don’t worry about this, once you reach +15 for that stat, this requisite will be deleted in the Career Planning block. Remember, bonuses from one career to the next do not add to one another; if a new career bonus is higher than what you presently have, then that bonus number replaces the old number, it does not add to it. Primary Characteristics are all percentage-based, and all of your character’s skills are based on the use of your attributes, plus any Mastery and Talent bonuses accrued during the course of the game. Secondary Characteristics are all point-based and relevant to specific game mechanics.

There are three blocks for Career Planning, one for your current career, and two for follow-on careers, so you can plan as far ahead as you would like. After all, you have to collect trappings for the next career to be able to move into it. For the record, I do not agree with all of the trappings that have to be collected, though I do agree that, even in the real-world, you would need to own certain things to be considered proficient to execute the skill and ability requirements for that job. If you see a Trapping you need to collect, and it’s marked with a D, that means it’s something difficult to collect, and you should probably have your character begin looking for it, now. Anything marked with an L means you can collect that at a later time, even during follow-on careers, though these will, sometimes, also be marked with a (min. #), meaning you still need to collect this number before or during the course of that career before you can move on. Anything marked with a P means the item is provided for you on entering that career, though you have to be careful of any ties that may entail, which may keep your character from adventuring further. Anything marked with both a D and an L means you don’t have to collect the Difficult-to-obtain item BEFORE entering the career, but you cannot leave the career until you have it, or at least the (min. #) required by the L.

The house rule I am using for item collection is that, for each item you have not collected, regardless of markings and once you have entered a career, 100xp per item is withheld, recorded, until you collect the item. This works as a brake on your character moving forward too rapidly, so they can find what they're looking for, and allows you a larger sense of accomplishment once you get the item AND the 100xp you should have received originally.

You will notice in the TINY text of these blocks that some of your Skills, Talents, and/or Trappings are marked ~OR~, meaning you have your choice between one or the other. This does NOT mean you cannot purchase an ~OR~ after making one choice, though if you’re going to do that, you would need to make that purchase PRIOR to moving into your next career, as I will be clearing those when I update your sheet for the new career. The game allows for this, and I now have a means of making this happen for you.

NOTES – Your character's version of this page is a very important page for you, and you should read through it to make sure you understand what’s going on. On ALL of the previous pages, your Intro page, all character sheet pages, and even from the Grimoire, for you Mages, there are links leading to THIS page, whether it’s because something didn’t fit, or additional information was necessary, or I decided to put additional information for something there on a lark –such as with Star Signs, and Currency–, or whatever. This page is broken into four primary parts: Campaign Notes, Game Notes, Character Notes, and Equipment Notes, and I have tried to shuffle various pieces of information where I thought it would fit best.

If you have any other links you would like to see from any Intro or Character page to the Notes page, let me know what you desire to link from, and to, and any additional information that may need to be there, and I’ll get it done. Also, if you simply want other information placed on your Notes page, let me know what it is, and I’ll get it there. All of the links, except for your character’s name, link to a specific portion of the Notes page; if the link-end on the Notes page is at the very bottom of the page, however, you will not see it at the top of your browser window, and may have to look a bit. Also, information is split between the left and right sides on purpose, meant to make for easier reading, though I’m seriously toying with breaking it all down to a single column, each section stacked on top of a more important section.

Campaign and Game Notes are all relevant to your character and, if you’re not paying attention, you better believe I am. :P

GRIMOIRE, for you Magisters and Runesmiths, are designed to list all of the spells AVAILABLE to you for the Disciplines your character has taken, generally including some manner of Petty Magic, Lesser Magic, and your Color Magic, and then for Runesmiths, basic and Master Runes. Those spells that have the box for Spell, or Rune, Known colored in slate, rather than white, are the spells, or runes, that you know. Whether you have Ingredients or not, you’re able to cast these, though it might behoove you to be on the lookout for shops, places in the various environments you’re traveling through, etc., for finding and purchasing Ingredients for your spells.

You also have the option to list Favored Spell(s) or Rune(s) near the top of your Grimoire, so you’ll have an easier time dealing with these. Any favored will list Ingredients only in the Favored table, not with the spell itself, which copy will remain in the body of the page.
• Dice Rollers: Wizards of the CoastInvisible Castle; use either of these to make, copy and paste dice rolls into your posts.
Our House Rules
2nd Ed Magic Rules
How Do I Read My Character Record (Character Development, Your Stuff..., and Game Mechanics)
Tithenon
LoreMaster
LoreMaster

Unread post by Tithenon » 21 Dec 2012, 16:47

Your Stuff...
Because this character record is large, I wanted to give you the best chance possible to find any things your character might possess, that are important to you, so you can not only find them, but be able to tell me where to move them, if necessary.

I’m going to begin with Encumbrance, and the rules that will affect how your character is able to move. First off, when you’re not in combat or a stealth situation, and when you’re not running from some big nasty monster, army, or otherwise horde of bad guys, your Encumbrance is not likely to affect your character beyond what I consider “fantasy common sense”. In other words, if it’s too large for your character to legitimately carry, and would cause strain, you’re going to have to find a beast of burden or a cart or wagon to put it into. For example, a Runesmith or Blacksmith needs to carry an anvil, but they typically weigh between 100 lbs (about 500 encumbrance; large enough to repair moderately-sized horse shoes) to 500 lbs and more (about 2500 encumbrance; large enough to repair railroad equipment); any living thing is going to have a problem balancing that weight on one side or another, if they are able to carry it at all. So, “fantasy common sense” has to give way to reality, sometimes, but if something’s small enough to fit in a space, I see no reason you couldn’t load up like the garbage hauler in the movie Labyrinth.

Now, in-combat, running from nasty things that do a lot more than go bump in the night, or trying to be stealthy, you’ll need to find a nice hidey-hole to put things in, and this is where the encumbrance table on the WEALTH, GEAR & CAREERS page comes in. Toward the lower-left of the page, you’ll see the Encumbrance table, and it lists the total Encumbrance value for the weapons your character is CARRYING, the armor they are WEARING, the totals for Back Packs and Sling Bags and, finally, the things your character is actually WEARING.

A special note about Back Packs, Sling Bags, Saddle Bags, and other carrying items you can put on your back and/or secure around your shoulders or waist, is that the contents inside have their encumbrance reduced by two-thirds while in the bag. A Back Pack, for example, can carry 250 Encumbrance, so the items inside cannot exceed, with their natural number, that 250 Encumbrance, but carrying these items in such a way reduces their value, for carrying purposes, to one-third that number. The Back Pack still weighs its full 20 Encumbrance, plus the reduced values of the things inside, which helps you out a great deal. After all, Encumbrance is figured not only from weight, but from dimensions, as well; a water skin is worth 1 Encumbrance while empty, but 100 when full, for example. A final note, here, about things that can be tied to your Back Pack or Sling Bag; if it’s appropriate, and will not fit inside, you can attach items you will not readily be using to the exterior of your carrying device, though it will maintain its total Encumbrance. Fortunately, it also does not count against the Encumbrance inside the carrying device.

In the paragraph before last, I capitalized the words carrying and wearing, to give you a sort of hint on what you might be able to do to manage your Encumbrance better, so when you get into sticky situations, you have an easier time dealing, and I will cover the locations in your character record immediately below, and give pointers on what you can do to help yourself.

One final simple note, before I dive into the locations of your gear, there is an Encumbrance rating for your maximum ability to carry comfortably, listed in the inset box of the Encumbrance block on your WEALTH, GEAR & CAREERS page, equal to your character's Strength Characteristic x10 (x20 for Dwarfs), and for each 50 Encumbrance –or fraction thereof– you exceed that by, your Movement characteristic is to be reduced by 1. Out of combat, stealth, or running exercises, I will not account for that, while in those exercises, I will if things are beginning to get out of hand. This is why there’s a note for dropping your over-encumbering gear on your character’s NOTES page.

CHARACTERISTICS & COMBAT – At the bottom of this first page in your character record you will find, on the right, a block for Weapons on the left, and Ready Trappings on the right. These two blocks list the items you presently have at your immediate disposal. You are welcome to exchange these with the Additional Weapons block at the bottom of the WEALTH, GEAR & CAREERS page for your weapons, meaning these are carried on a pack animal or in a wagon or cart, or you may tell me to italicize them to signify they’re in some manner of storage, and not normally carried in a ready position, if you have the ability to do so. You may do the same with the Trappings block on that same page, in the upper-left of it. Notice there is no Location column on this page, but there is in the Trappings block on the other page. It is preferred that, if you’re not going to have these weapons and items ready that you have me move them to the other page, and vice-versa, please? I don’t mind moving things around, and for your first time setting things up, I welcome you to shoot me your changes in the email for completing the setup of your character sheet. After that, please be gentle, as I’ll have a lot of changes to account for, anyway?

WEALTH, GEAR & CAREERS – The Wealth block in the top-middle of this page explains the amount of coins, and types, you possess, for your purchasing power. I am not going to get ridiculous about this, am not counting it within your Encumbrance, especially since Encumbrance is sort of ridiculous in this game, already, but you need to be aware that you will still make noise, that carrying 110,000 Gold Coins is still not possible without slowing you down so badly that you can barely move, and you need to be somewhat frugal with the amounts you’re carrying. I do use thieves in my game, but they are not always thieves, sometimes they are simply environmental effects, such as slipping on a ledge and nearly falling to your death, where a loose purse might filter hundreds of coins to the ground far below, and into your character’s boots, or a purse may be cut in combat, etc. I’m generally not malicious, but I will say that “pride goeth before the fall” and "gravity is not always your friend".

NOTES – This page is, perhaps, my favorite, because I link everything that’s necessary to be linked, to this page, for clarification of various game issues, including those involving Equipment Notes. If you have a note for something that has been done, something that affects some of your equipment, now, or something you need to do or would like to have done to any of your equipment, send me a note and I’ll try to get the information you want on there. This page is a wonderful resource for both you and I, and I can see it being used quite a bit by each of you as our game continues. Additional equipment, pack animal lists, etc., can be listed here, as well, if it doesn’t fit In the CHARACTERISTICS & COMBAT or WEALTH, GEAR & CAREERS pages.

GRIMOIRE – Rather than having a singular list of components, as I did on the 2nd Generation character record, each spell has the component type needed for you to be able to enhance the casting roll for the spell, its bonus, and the number of ingredients/ components you actually have. You are responsible for making lists of components you desire to obtain, as you need them, and you would need to tell me –ANY TIME YOU HAVE THE OPPORTUNITY– if you’re looking for specific things to acquire. This also holds true for scrolls, regardless of how rare the spell should be to find and learn it, or for additional grimoire’s, etc. You should also have your grimoire, whether it’s on your Quarter staff or written in an illuminated book, readily available to you, but you have to tell me whether you’re actually carrying it or not. Robe modifications are available…
Our House Rules
2nd Ed Magic Rules
Tithenon
LoreMaster
LoreMaster

Unread post by Tithenon » 21 Dec 2012, 17:21

Game Mechanics
This may be a relatively long section of this thread, unless you read the House Rules I linked in the first post of this thread. Regardless, any questions about game mechanics can be clarified here, so if you see something you’re not quite certain about, from the House Rules or here, it never hurts to ask.

INTRODUCTION PAGE – The only things that may have an effect, here, and are shared in the Religion/Faith block of the PARTY & HISTORY page, in the Background block in the middle of the WEALTH, GEAR & CAREERS page, and in various places on your NOTES page, are the Star Sign and Dooming lines. You can click on your Star Sign to see what it stands for in the NOTES page, but beyond narrative function, they don’t really do much in the way of affecting mechanics... unless I need them to :twisted: .

CHARACTERISTICS & COMBAT – We’ll go straight to your Characteristics block. The top eight (WS, BS, S, T, Ag, Int, WP, and Fel) are percentage-based scores that are used to help resolve all of your skill checks. These abbreviations stand for Weapons Skill, Ballistic Skill, Strength, Toughness, Agility, Intelligence, Will Power, and Fellowship. Yes, the percentages are low in these boxes when you first start out, but they are capable of growing during the course of the game, dependent on the careers you decide to take.

The Starting line are your attributes as you rolled them, and as are modified by Attribute Improvement Talents and in-game effects. The Advances line are the career modifiers available to you for improvement; if the career you’re in, now, provides for a +5, for example, and your next career provides for a +10 in that same Characteristic, this does not mean you have the ability to purchase +15, it means you take the higher of the two values, once in the new career, in this case +10. Continuing with our example, you were required to purchase the +5 in that attribute in order to advance to this new career, and now you’re required to purchase another +5 before you can move on to your next career. The Taken line expresses how many of the Advances you’ve purchased, thus far. All Advances are purchased 5 percentage points at a time, for 100xp per +5. If your Taken line is lower in number than your Advances line, you are not yet finished purchasing Advances. As I’m not perfect, if you did purchase an Advance and I didn’t update this line and Characteristic for it, let me know.

Finally, the Current line is the most important among these other four, as it is a total of your Starting line, with all Talent Bonuses in play, plus your purchased Advances and, thus, is your highest number. Do not make the mistake of rolling for Skills from the Starting line, as you will be cheating yourself.

The bottom eight Characteristics (A, W, SB, TB, Mov, M, IP, and FP) are single-point-based scores that are used to define your resilience and basic mental, physical, and magical attributes. These abbreviations stand for Attacks/Actions, Wounds, Strength Bonus, Toughness Bonus, Movement, Magic, Insanity Points, and Fate Points. Opposite of the generally singular use of your Primary Characteristics –the top 8–, these all have a specific effect, as outlined below…

Attacks/Actions outline the number of Full Actions, under the normal game rules, your character receives. Each Full Action is worth two Half-Actions, each equivalent to a standard attack, and then there are Incidental/Consequential Actions and Free Actions, neither of which cost the character anything to perform; if you wish for a deeper explanation of these last two types of Actions, if the demand is enough, I will explain it here. Otherwise, you’ll need to trust that I will give you those actions when it/they are appropriate.

In our house rules, we use Action Points, instead, which are explained in great detail if you will click here , and I see no need to repeat them, here.

Wounds are the “hit points” of your character, though they do not act like any hit points you are, typically used to, except, perhaps, in Palladium’s games. Wounds are the scratch and dent damage your character is able to take before they get into trouble. We use locational damage in our game, so I will refer to locations and I will use Wounds as a generic term from here forward. When you take damage that leaves you with 4 or more points on a location, you are considered to be lightly wounded; you heal one wound per day, in this instance, unless you have medical attention, in which case you may be able to heal up to 10 points in a day (1d10). If you have damage that leaves you with between 0 and 3 wounds on a location, you are considered to be heavily wounded; you heal one wound per WEEK, in this case, unless you have medical attention, which may allow you to heal a full wound each day of attention. Each wound may only have medical attention applied once per day, but a single roll of Heal –or Surgery, if necessary– Skill is applied to the entirety of the body, unless the wound(s) spread across several locations are different enough, or severe enough, to warrant individual rolls. If a Heal/ Surgery roll fails, that means no new healing may take place for that day.

When you go below 0 in wounds on a location, you are considered to be critically wounded, and may take a critical effect, any of which can be pretty nasty. For critical wound effects, since you have broken bones, road rash, a split open noggin, etc., you may only heal one wound per week as long as your character is resting; typically, your character can heal one critical wound per day under medical attention –including Surgery–, as per any other heavy wound, though a minimum of one week of rest is still required if you're critically wounded at all. Once a character is back into the heavily wounded category, they are able to travel once more. Critical Wound Effects CAN KILL your character, so you must be careful.

Strength Bonus is used to enhance the damage done in unarmed combat and by melee weapons.

Toughness Bonus is used to resist damage, acting as a sort of natural armor. Be aware that any hit to the head, after armor and TB reduce the damage rolled, is doubled automatically.

Movement really doesn’t have all that much effect on your character, and is not a normally considered stat. Elsewhere on your character sheet, at the bottom of your character’s hit block, you have Move, Charge, and Run statistics, which also have little normal effect on the game, though this is not always true.

Magic is for Mages, representing the number of dice the Mage has the ability to roll –they are not required to roll all of their dice– in order to cast a spell. If a Mage decides to perform a Channeling test, as well, this number is also a solid bonus to their casting roll; ie – if the character has a Magic Characteristic of 2, and they perform a successful Channeling roll, they may add 2 to the dice roll, NOT two additional dice, for casting.

Insanity Points – These are garnered through the game, representing the amount of mental and emotional damage your character has suffered, through failed Terror tests, through critical hits, and other potential problems. Unless you have the Strong-minded Talent, once you reach 6 IPs, you begin rolling to see if you gain an Insanity or Disorder. This roll is a standard Will Power test that, if failed, means you lose 6 IPs, but gain a random Disorder. Succeeding allows you to continue as normal, but each Insanity Point above 6 that you gain grants a 5% penalty to your Will Power for the dice roll –this is a house rule– because, eventually, you will gain a disorder. Depending on how you role-play, these can be a LOT of fun.

Fate Points – These can be spent to save your character’s life, even if you’re completely out of Fortune Points. These are the weaker cousin’s to Fate Points, normally only equal to the Fate Points, though in my game, they are doubled, and refresh each day. Once you’re out of Fortune Points for the day, you might want to be pretty careful, as the small boosts, rerolls, and saves you get from these run out. From there, if you have to save your character’s life, you may have to spend a Fate Point. These can be spent until you are at 0, though they are then permanently gone, and your Fortune Points also reduce based on that, but Fate Points may also be granted by the GM for certain important, selfless actions, as well; these are VERY HARD to earn.
To move on to other portions of the page, your Action Points are listed immediately beneath your Characteristics block, and you use these, like currency, to define the actions your character will take in each combat round. Clicking on the number of points will open the Combat Actions section of the Talents definition page, which you can read through to understand how Action Points work, then scroll down to see what actions you can “spend” your points on each round. Unless something interferes with your ability to spend points, such as being groggy and disoriented from poison, a hit to the head, etcetera, your full points renew each new combat turn. For more information, refer to the Combat Actions section of the skilltalentlisting.php page.

To the immediate right of the Characteristics block are your Available and Accrued Experience Points, and your Daily Available and Spent Fortune Points. For experience, whenever you have 100+ xp available, and for each increment of 100xp over that, you have the ability to take an advancement for your character; once all of your advancements are purchased and all trappings necessary to the career are acquired, you are then eligible to move onto a new career. If that career is a new Basic career not in your line of available careers, the cost to make that move is 200xp, instead. You are expected to keep track of your own Fortune Points, even though I will try to keep a good track on them, as I am able.

Below that block are the Ammunition blocks, which tell you how many Arrows, Bolts, Throwing Weapons, Balls and Powder, etc. you have available to your character. Notice that any Powder Horn, ammo pouch, etc., will be listed in your Ready Trappings on this page for the sake of tracking Encumbrance and location(s).

The Hit Locations, Armour, and Damage block is, specifically, for tracking damage done to your character. The top section lists armor and your shield, if you have one, though this is, mainly for Encumbrance records. Below that, you have a large block with a lot of inset squares, and these hold the Armor Points for each location you’re wearing armor on, the maximum amount of damage that you can take to each location before becoming critically wounded, and any damage you’ve actually taken, as well as all movement rates available to your character. If I was not able to fill your character pic into that block, sized for the actual height of the character compared to the maximum height, 6’ 4”, I placed a generic representation for them in the box, instead. If you wish to draw your character over that paper-doll, let me know, I’ll send you a full-sized version, and you can draw to your heart’s content, scan it in, send it to me, and I’ll square it away in the block.

KNOWLEDGES – This page outlines what your character knows, the Skills and Talents they are most likely to use during the course of the game, but it MAY NOT outline absolutely all of their abilities, as some of them might be on the PARTY & HISTORY page, and further descriptions may also be on your NOTES page.

(NOTE: Where it says Talent Open (not available to take), above, this is only true if no talent name is next to the open square. If a talent name is there, it is a talent you must take prior to being able to move onto a new career, and the open square simply signifies that the talent is available to take.)

Let’s begin with Skills…

The graphic, above, should express what you will see on the KNOWLEDGES page, in the large Skills block, and in the Spoken Languages, Academic and Common Knowledges blocks, and on the PARTY & HISTORY PAGE for the Speak Arcane Language, Secret Language, Secret Signs, Trade, and Performer blocks to the left of that page. The reason these blocks are broken up like this is to allow for ease of reference between the more common skills and the learned skills. Each of these blocks lists any Talents which may affect them, as well, granting bonuses; I failed to do this on the Spoken Languages block, though a couple of different Talents may affect it, including Linguistics and Seasoned Traveler.

In the Skills block, which is cut in half to hold all of the skills in as tight a space as possible, you’ll notice several columns are there, the first of which is labeled Basic; this means the basic Skill defaults to one-half of the controlling Characteristic for use, but may be used without having training or having purchased the skill at all. Indeed, if a Skill marked with a star, meaning it’s Basic, is used and has a Talent-based bonus, one-half that bonus is applied to the use of the skill, as well. If a skill your character does not possess is used to great effect, you may be granted that skill, though 100xp will still be necessary to purchase it, outside of the normal skill purchasing rules.

The Governing Characteristic column tells you which attribute to use in order to accomplish the skill; some of these are marked Var., which means the GM and Player need to determine which Primary Characteristic is necessary to roll for use of the skill.

The Mastery columns mean that, as you move through careers that grant you the ability to purchase the skill multiple times –each of these may be purchased up to three times {Initial, +10%, and +20% Mastery} to show your character’s level of Mastery–, the appropriate bonus is added to the attribute number for the sake of making the roll to succeed.

The Talent Bonus column is just that, bonuses provided by appropriate Talents, though some bonuses –these are marked with an *– may apply only in special situations, and you should be aware of those for your character. The Related Talents column represents those talents used for skill enhancements, and you should be able to reference the appropriate Skill Bonus Talent at the bottom of that page.

Onto the Talents…

Once you’ve purchased a Talent, you never have to purchase it again. I only list Talents you will have available to you as a result of your career, which is why there are only two indicators rather than three. Once you purchase it, I color in the square, signifying that you have it, already. Many Talents provide bonuses to skills, attributes, magic and combat abilities, and I try to link every one of the Talents to their appropriate entry on the skilltalentlisting.php page. Click on them and do some reading; you will likely find that you have some pretty cool abilities. If you’re looking at Attribute Bonus Talents, those have already been calculated into your Starting lines on the CHARACTERISTICS & COMBAT page.

PARTY & HISTORY – On this page you’ll find a couple of small things that were already covered in the previous section, but you’ll also find a couple of new things to look at. In the upper-right corner of this page, you’ll see the Party Members block, which can hold the links for up to 9 of your fellows. This space will not be wasted on Henchmen, Soldiers, Followers, or Animals, only those presently in the party. Here’s hoping there’s not a lot of exchange of party members from here-on, because that means I have to change every block for every record sheet available.

Should it become necessary, I can split the block to ONLY list Character names with their appropriate links, though I'm hoping it will not.

The Companions and Animals block in the lower-right corner of this page, inadequate as it may be, is also set for ease of reference for one or two Henchmen, Soldiers, Followers, or Animals, all NPCs.
Our House Rules
2nd Ed Magic Rules
Tithenon
LoreMaster
LoreMaster

CHARACTER CONCEPTS AND IDEAS

Unread post by Tithenon » 21 Dec 2012, 17:25

UPDATED: 5 January 2013
Warhammer Character Generation is almost completely based on dice rolls. I, on the other hand, would like to open that up somewhat, so you can develop a character more in line with your concept and/or how you like to play. As long as your ideas don't become too outrageous, I want you to feel free to write the concept you would like for your character to be, and then I promise to work with you as much as possible.

A little reading is due on your part, and then we will get to the meat of your character concept. All of this is, pretty much, optional, and designed more to help you think through role-playing your character as opposed to simply playing them to be here.
An individual's personality defines how that person interacts with the world. Is he stubborn? Cynical? Cunning? Spiteful? Trustworthy? Larcenous? Altruistic? Characters run by both players and gamemasters can be defined the same way. It is up to you which character traits you build into your character. In some games, but not this one, character traits are used to define how a character acts, and is useful for gaining XP toward building your character up.

Personality And Career
Your character's Career can be an important element in his personality. This provides a framework through which the character sees the world. A Ranger might interpret a particular event in a completely different way than a Wizard or a Warrior.

Rewards and the Price Of Roleplaying
Roleplaying your character according to his traits may gain him additional Experience Points at the end of a story. How many your character earns depends on the story told, the circumstances, and how well he acted and reacted, within and without his traits.

Your character can also earn fewer, or no, Experience Points by not following his traits. There is no prerequisite to remain true to your character's traits in Warhammer, although it CAN make for a better experience for all.

CHARACTER HISTORY
Once you establish your character's personality, decide what made him or her that way. An easy way to do that is by answering the sorts of questions authors and readers might ask about a character in a novel.

You may decide this information is not all that important, which is certainly acceptable. However, the more of these questions you answer, the better handle you will have on your character. Besides, this gives you a chance to answer these questions in ways you may never think to do in real life.
The following questions are gleaned directly from the Earthdawn 1st Edition Rulebook -and modified where necessary to fit Warhammer- and you are welcome to copy these questions as you see fit, whether into a Word document or into a post on this forum, and fill them out as you like.

Indeed, if you intend to maintain any manner of journal for your character, and you're already registered on these forums, in the game, I have likely already made a sub-forum for you to post in. Even if you only intend and never actually make entries for your own character journal, feel free to post a new topic for your character if you like, preferably NOT in one of the Campaign sub-forums? Oh, and ask permission first, please?
What is your character's name?

What is your characters sex?

How large (or small) is your character?

What color is your characters hair, eyes, and skin?

What color is your character's hair?

What is your character's general appearance?

What would be someone's first impression of your character?

Where was your character born?
(NOTE: The 2nd Edition Warhammer rulebook has a chart for rolling your hometown based on your character's race, if you prefer to use it.)

How old is your character?
(NOTE: The 2nd Edition Warhammer rulebook has a chart for rolling your character's age based on their race, if you prefer to use it.)

Does your character have a family?

Has your character begun his own family?

What are your character's spiritual beliefs?

What is your character's moral code?

What special qualities does your character possess?

What is it your character simply cannot do?

What does your character love?

What does your character hate?

If you have anything else to add, please do so here?

How seasoned/experienced do you believe you would like for your character to be? Why is your character more seasoned?

What are your character's beliefs about Money, Honesty, Trust, and Loyalty? For each of those four things, what would they do, what would they not do unless coerced, and what would they go to their death about before doing?

Is there anything you would have your character do in the way of Love and/or Romance, or are they completely solitary and not looking to love and/or have children?

What manner of adventures would you, as the player, like to see in the game, especially as they might relate to your characters class and/or race?

What are your character's takes on existing nobility, up and coming nobility, the concepts of nobility and being noble, and their take on one day, perhaps, becoming a noble?
Rather than using the 2e main rulebook to determine weight randomly, I have a sure system to determine weight based on your character's race, height (in feet and inches), and characteristics (Strength - Agility), which you may cross-reference when you open the Height-Weight Chart.

To then determine their weight, in kilograms, if you prefer, simply divide by 2.2.
Our House Rules
2nd Ed Magic Rules
Tithenon
LoreMaster
LoreMaster

Unread post by Tithenon » 06 Jan 2013, 00:28

The End...
Believe it or not, here we are at the end of the character sheet description. In Microsoft Word, this document is twelve pages long. I am hoping it will not be that large on the web site.

Good luck, and happy gaming.
Our House Rules
2nd Ed Magic Rules