Arphenion "Artorius" Annunion Ranger of the North - Bryce

If you have a character in our game, you will find their journal in this area, as well as some stickied threads near the top of the list for songs and stories. As well Player-heroes (PHs), as they are called in The One Ring, have some basic information here concerning how to build them. A journal means you have the opportunity to develop your character's depth to help you be able to get into them, even in a slow-flow forum-based setting such as our game. Have fun with it... using your journal and helping the group with songs may even lead you to gaining experience for posting about them.
Artorius
Seeker
Seeker
Melee APs: 4
Stealth APs: 4
Journey Role: Hunter (P)

Re: Arphenion "Artorius" Annunion Ranger of the North - Bryce

Unread post by Artorius » 15 Jul 2019, 14:09

Out-of-Character Aha, sorry. Maybe you can hide the post some how and reveal it when it hits your timeline correctly? I write stuff down when I think of it as I would likely forget it.
Artorius
Seeker
Seeker

Unread post by Artorius » 15 Jul 2019, 14:28

The message had been found, muddied and grimey on the ground. Something lost, forgotten or perhaps left on purpose? The reader was not sure although it felt uneasy to read...

The message was written in the ashes of a long nights fire. The paper it was written on was old and crinkled, a piece torn hastily from one of the taverns sheets used for taking the days takings. The penmanship was slow, deliberate and focused and was written with half care and half obession. Written by a broken man after a nightmare visit in the dead of night.

Through the darkness of future's past,
The loremaster longs to see.
One chants out between two worlds...
"Fire... walk with me."
Fieranor of Imladris
LoreMaster
LoreMaster

Unread post by Fieranor of Imladris » 15 Jul 2019, 15:06

Artorius wrote:
15 Jul 2019, 14:09
Out-of-Character Aha, sorry. Maybe you can hide the post some how and reveal it when it hits your timeline correctly? I write stuff down when I think of it as I would likely forget it.
LoreMaster Note I have an alternate idea... do you think you could go back to each post and put some sort of date on them, such as what follows inside the code brackets, here...

Code: Select all

[b][u]Date, Location Being Written About, Person Interacting With/Interaction[/u][/b]

If this could be done at the top of each of those posts, letters to Calenglad and others, actions Artorius is taking, etc.? Then, when the time comes, if I can figure out how to changing posting times and dates, I could slide them into the proper spots of your journal?

Fire... walk with me? Perhaps some context, please? :)
Artorius
Seeker
Seeker

Unread post by Artorius » 17 Jul 2019, 14:35

Out-of-Character Being honest, I have not thought about what dates any of those could be. I approached the posts without hard set dates as I thought of them as back story and it could be mere memories or experiences but put down on writing. I had no idea that I would need to roll for the letter to arrive so I didn't prepare for an outcome with dates. I am happy if you wish to put in some dates but I fear I would not be able to suggest any appropriate ones.

Regarding "Fire, walk with me" I read it as the element of fire has many themes such as passion, destruction, warmth, light, fear, hate, strength, doom, hope, etc... I think the Ranger has taken a step back from who he was and has become more primal in a way. I have no experience with loosing a loved one but I would image a part of you would die with them and then you choose what happens next. Artorius could not become empty shell or one consumed by sorrow. He is a hero, maybe a flawed one now in this story but still someone who leads and inspires. I could not let him be taken by grief, so now he is taken by fire. He will burn for good and for ill, but for how long? This is what makes a good story...
Fieranor of Imladris
LoreMaster
LoreMaster

Unread post by Fieranor of Imladris » 17 Jul 2019, 15:34

Okay, let me take a minute to explain some things...

Artorius wrote:
17 Jul 2019, 14:35
Out-of-Character Being honest, I have not thought about what dates any of those could be. I approached the posts without hard set dates as I thought of them as back story and it could be mere memories or experiences but put down on writing.
I'm there with you; if you don't want to put down any dates, you don't have to. I was just thinking it would give you a sense of time, not the instant move instant action stuff most role-playing games allow for. Don't worry about it, unless you want to.

Out-of-Character I had no idea that I would need to roll for the letter to arrive so I didn't prepare for an outcome with dates. I am happy if you wish to put in some dates but I fear I would not be able to suggest any appropriate ones.
The die roll was part of a Fellowship Phase Undertaking, and those will normally require rolls. Nepitello/Hanrahan would never have planned for letters to go back and forth but, when they did, they figured there wouldn't be that many, and when there were, they tried to put in rules to limit the letter writing. It obviously doesn't work, so I'll likely discontinue that particular FPU. That's why you only rolled for ONE letter, and that's why I warned you things could go badly and asked if you really wanted to do it; you agreed, so we tried it, and we'll consider that being schooled... I think better rules could be done for a standard game, but I'm not going to put much work into it, I think, just let letters go. If I need Artorius to do something, I'll have Calenglad, or someone else, as necessary, send a missive.

Out-of-Character Regarding "Fire, walk with me" I read it as the element of fire has many themes such as passion, destruction, warmth, light, fear, hate, strength, doom, hope, etc... I think the Ranger has taken a step back from who he was and has become more primal in a way. I have no experience with loosing a loved one but I would image a part of you would die with them and then you choose what happens next. Artorius could not become empty shell or one consumed by sorrow. He is a hero, maybe a flawed one now in this story but still someone who leads and inspires. I could not let him be taken by grief, so now he is taken by fire. He will burn for good and for ill, but for how long? This is what makes a good story...
I like it. I asked because there was a movie, "Twin Peaks: Fire Walk With Me" and I thought you might be borrowing from that reference. :)
Artorius
Seeker
Seeker

Unread post by Artorius » 18 Jul 2019, 14:01

Out-of-Character Yes, I am a Twin Peaks fan and that is the place where I heard it, however I still stand by my description but it is a very cool phrase and I nod to show for it. I get inspired by things, give it time and I will work in Duran Duran's Ordinary World lyrics into a post :D
Fieranor of Imladris
LoreMaster
LoreMaster

Unread post by Fieranor of Imladris » 18 Jul 2019, 14:54

LoreMaster Note ROFLMAO. Oh, but I look forward to that, LOL
Artorius
Seeker
Seeker

Unread post by Artorius » 20 Aug 2019, 14:08

Artorius sat in silence, it was after twilight and he was on watch again. This time it was a little further from the camp. Every watch he often strayed a few more feet out, telling his companions that it improved the range of ground he could monitor and thus provide swifter warning of attack. A shame this strategy would only work during that of good weather but this was a mistake he would find out later.

He was never one to be an outsider, he knew his folk had that label and, of course, he kepted a low profile with strangers but with this Fellowship, he sensed there was no evil within and he could be himself. So why then was he seeking solitude more of the time? He ran his fingers over his shaved head once again, forgetting that earlier he had cut it off. Times had changed, but why had he? Although not a blacksmith he knew of the process of forging and to make a blade strong you have to temper it with great heat and shock, and he felt recent times had tempered him but mayhaps it could of been too much and he may have cracked.

The silence continued as he kepted watch, but the darkness was being forced back as the light of the broke through. Maybe it would take some time but maybe, just maybe he was not cracked. Much like the sharperning of a reforged blade, its take time to clear of the scale but it can be renewed again with time.

He finds on his next watch that he begins to whistle and sometimes sing, a heavy heart can once again be lifted, time will allow that and he had time for he was one of the Dúnedain. The old flame of Western Numenor was in his blood so he would endure and he would rise.
Artorius
Seeker
Seeker

Unread post by Artorius » 04 Dec 2019, 14:33

Meanwhile in Archet, West of Combe

*Thack* *Thack* *Thlock* - The wooden log was split in two, and thankfully it was the final one. The tall man rub his back, feeling the fatigued of chopping countless logs ready for the winters fire creeping into his back muscles. Beneath the clothing he wore, the scar he bore across his left eye also twinged with pain but only for a moment. It was a common thing, happening once or twice a day but never lasting more than a few second. He recalled the time he took it, the healers assumed he was dead due to the blow and he was dragged back in a deep coma back to his lands and then let out on a boat as were his peoples custom. Pure chance and a bit of luck led him to be found as his stirred from the chill of the air and the temperature of the water. That was another story and how he ended up in Archet.

"Old man! You done with the wood?" The old female Hobbit's voice was shrill, but somewhat welcomed for he knew the next words "Tea's ready! Come now or it will be eaten by the pigs!".

Sheathing the axe in its hood and washing his hands and face with some water from his water-skin, he left the chopping block and headed towards the housebarn. A curious looking building, it was a little home but with a pigs barne built right next to it. The smell got some taking used to but the swine only ever made loud noises when it was feeding time so it was a nice place to be staying compared to others from his life.

Before going inside, he went behind the building and to a large chest at the back. Withdrawing a key from his pocket, he unlocked the metal lock and looked inside. The large shield was still there, as sturdy and strong as ever. This was more of a ritual now rather than the odd security check, a piece of history and legacy which was still dear to him. Closing the chest and locking it up once more, he crouched under the too short door and went inside for dinner.
Fieranor of Imladris
LoreMaster
LoreMaster

Unread post by Fieranor of Imladris » 04 Dec 2019, 16:47

LoreMaster Note Bryce, Artorius has 7 General XP available to use, as well as some Specific XP, and you can choose at least one of the following to improve...
  • Common Skills
    • You have 2 XP in Healing and could use 6 GXP to improve that to Rank 3, leaving 1 GXP
    • You have 1 XP each in Awe and Riddle and you could use 6 GXP to improve one of those to Rank 2, leaving 1 GXP
    • You could use 7 GXP to improve one of the following to Rank 2: Athletics, Courtesy, Insight, Persuade or Search, leaving 0 GXP
    • You could use 4 GXP to improve Craft to Rank 1.

• Weapon Skills
    • You can afford to improve none of these, just now.

• Masteries
    • You can afford to improve none of these, just now, as most of them require 10 GXP to purchase.

• Valor/Wisdom
    • You have 6 XP in Wisdom and could use 6 GXP to improve that to Rank 3, leaving 1 GXP. Of course, this would also allow you to add a new Virtue.

• Attributes
    • You can afford to improve none of these, just now.

Of course, you can also save your XP as General, if you're not sure what you would like to do, just now, or you could distribute points as you like to Specific XP for the next item(s) you think you might want to build up.
Artorius
Seeker
Seeker

Unread post by Artorius » 05 Dec 2019, 00:50

Could I have a breakdown of the possible virtues please?
Fieranor of Imladris
LoreMaster
LoreMaster

Unread post by Fieranor of Imladris » 05 Dec 2019, 11:24

LoreMaster Note I'll go you one better... clicker here to open the doc on Rangers and look on pages 5 and 6 for Virtues.
Artorius
Seeker
Seeker

Unread post by Artorius » 08 Dec 2019, 12:52

Could I please take this Virtue?

Dauntless Guardians: You have been raised in a land dotted with desolate ruins and burial mounds. You have heard the dead whisper with cold voices out of lonely barrows, while ghostly lights dance on haunted hills. There are few among mortal Men who know more about evil spirits or fear them less than you do...
When you first select this Virtue, you learn how to See the Unseen. You may later reinforce your spirit with Strength of Will by spending 1 Experience point as your undertaking during a Fellowship phase. Finally, you reach the stature of a true Wraith Bane by spending another Experience point as a new undertaking during a later Fellowship phase.
• See the Unseen: It is said that the Elven-wise can perceive shades and wraiths that are otherwise invisible to the eyes of Mortals. You have been taught to recognize the signs that betray the haunting of a restless spirit. You are automatically aware of the presence or proximity of ghosts, shades and wraiths of any kind. A successful roll of Lore yields additional information on the nature of the haunting.
Fieranor of Imladris
LoreMaster
LoreMaster

Unread post by Fieranor of Imladris » 08 Dec 2019, 16:09

LoreMaster Note Done and uploaded...

The simple wood of the wall, shrouded in darkness and grey only by reflection of the pool of moonlight in the middle of the floor strikes you as odd, perhaps ethereal and, yet, all too real. The air around you is stale, full of the stink of death, but not the death of a battlefield, not quite that pungent. It tastes more like the salt of tears mixed with ash from paper, but there is another scent, as well. Lilacs.

'But it is too early for...', you turn your head to the left, your cowl tipping back enough to allow you to see the bureau... but the wood work, your breath catches in your throat, 'This cannot be!'. You built that bureau, the woodcraft is yours... well, Calenglad helped, you muse as you continue to study it... 'But, why is this here?' You continue to turn and your heart shatters, catching the crystalline sound of every last shard in the blood pounding through your ears at the sound of her voice.

'Lilacs...' you whisper within the protection of the cowl encircling your head. Your breath catches, again, your chest becomes painful as your heart stills within, and you're certain your ears must be betraying you, because that voice is found on the other side of the Misty Mountains, indeed further to the North, in Tinnudir. You're certain you are at an inn within Edric's Town, so how can you be standing here?

'Turn around, Arphennion, please?' Screwing your eyes shut, never the coward except for the one who owns your heart, you refuse to turn, knowing that your desire will separate you from all of import, from the mission Calenglad sent you to fulfill, and home among your own. You remain stolid, moving not, turning not, like a large rock in the forest. Her left hand covers and wraps over your shoulder, her right under your arm, pushing your cloak out of the way, and around your chest, the grip of her fingers and palms is unmistakable, and yet no warmth emits from them.

'Arphennion, look at me!' Her voice is insistent, her timbre unmistakable, but if you could close your ears you find you would.

Her right hand moves from your chest, withdrawn around your back, a different kind of warmth left in the place the hand rested a moment earlier, and the long fingers of her left try to push you to turn toward her as she moves around you, a chill firing down your back as lightning through a vale. Both hands moved, now, her right hand moving to your left cheek.

'You will learn to use this gift for so many good reasons, my love. But, you must look at me, first.'

'What gift?' You find the words escaping, unbidden, from your lips and your eyes suddenly open and behold her, but how can you be here with her, in a room smelling of... 'No!' as tears stain your eyes and wash her visage into smears you were not ready to behold, anyway. Your eyes snap closed, again, but the damage is done, her image is in your mind's eye. She is... dead, you think to yourself as you hear the first tear drop smash ever-so-loudly against your corselet and break into a half-dozen smaller tears in the striking.

All of her following words are drown out in your profound and unmistakable sorrow, though you're certain she says something about seeing those she will soon join. Her lips warm as fire, she gently, almost as a whisper, kisses your lips, bringing you back to the present and her continuation,

'I am not long here before Eru takes me to his heart and sets my spirit free, but I am not yet gone. My strength is diminished and your missive will not reach me until I am at my last breath.

'Use this gift, which is uncommon among our people, for the good of all free folk in Middle-earth, and worry not about me.'
She places the tip of her index finger in the middle of your forehead and pushes back a bit, your head moving as she does so, and continues, 'I will now ever be here, with you. You will not hear me, nor I you, and I will be but memory and a shadow, but I will ever be here.

'Now, wake Arphennion, for it is time to go to the Wizard's task. What you seek is little more than a portent, but a portent far away enough in time and distance even I cannot tell. Carry my love with you, always, for you have it until all time is done, and beyond that, and waken.'
Whatever sleep you have into the early morning hours, before you meet the Company in Edric's Town for breakfast, goes by so quickly you know not how long you slept, just that you awaken from a restless and disturbed sleep, tired and sore, as though you had been in a strained battle within the past few days, tears covering your face.

On completion of your morning ablutions and preparations to leave, you head downstairs to be greeted by more than two-dozen folk, including Éadnes, but there is a difference between the ancient Elf and those around him... color. As Frerin comes from his room, audibly moving along, slamming the door to his small abode of the night, you notice the same of him. Though there are nearly two-dozen Humans, smattered with Elves and Dwarves, within the room, only those two seem real. Lifting your hand into your sight, you can hold it out and see the differences between you and others immediately around you, and they seem to have a washed-out quality not present in yourselves or your friends, and they seem to exude some manner of lighter dust that lingers around them like iron filings with other iron filings.

Finally, looking into the face of one of these washed-out Dwarves, you see enormous surprise and a rather huge smile flash across the face of the Dwarf. It points at you and seems to say something, which you are not capable to hear, though apparently many of the others are, and all of them turn toward you, point and begin -obviously- to speak, though you can hear nothing.

LoreMaster Note Okay, you now have Dauntless Guardians: See the Unseen! I am not going to remember you have this, so you will have to ask me if you see spirits, or anything of the sort. This story cost me to write, so it cost you a bit, as well. :)
Artorius
Seeker
Seeker

Unread post by Artorius » 09 Dec 2019, 13:54

Out-of-Character Agghhhh dude, tuggin on my heartstrings! Great post, Artorius (Arphenion) is dumbfounded with the final moment with Evael. And hey, if this Rangering malarky doesn't hold out I could always create "Middle Earth Ghost Tours"

Great post fella, cheers.