Éadnes Andwiltan of Mirkwood - Peter C.

If you have a character in our game, you will find their journal in this area, as well as some stickied threads near the top of the list for songs and stories. As well Player-heroes (PHs), as they are called in The One Ring, have some basic information here concerning how to build them. A journal means you have the opportunity to develop your character's depth to help you be able to get into them, even in a slow-flow forum-based setting such as our game. Have fun with it... using your journal and helping the group with songs may even lead you to gaining experience for posting about them.
Fieranor of Imladris
LoreMaster
LoreMaster
Melee APs: 4
Stealth APs: 4

Re: Éadnes Andwiltan of Mirkwood - Peter C.

Unread post by Fieranor of Imladris » 11 Oct 2016, 19:12

Petecoi wrote:Hi Paul,
I've some thoughts here and I guess I'm asking what you would prefer in the game.

I need some form of missile weapon.
I originally thought of throwing a knife as a skill.
You explained these would be too heavy and out of culture.
Good afternoon :) . I guess it depends on what sort of knife you're looking at. Most knives would actually be considered Short Swords in TOR, while Dagger's are smaller. If you're thinking about Throwing Daggers, the stats are the same. Now, typically, a Dagger has 0 Encumbrance; however, no rule was provided for if a Player-hero is carrying more than one Dagger and, to my mind, especially with my knowledge of Warhammer Fantasy Role-Play 2nd Edition, which was worked on by a few of the same folks who've constructed TOR, it seems incongruous to have a PH carry fifty daggers and not have them weighted down by all of that steel and wood. They're larger than a Shuriken, the tech level is too low for either Shuriken's or mini-knives, so they're going to have some bulk and mass to them. So, I instituted the rule where, if you carry a second Dagger, you gain one Encumbrance, and every two Daggers after that would gain another point of Encumbrance.
I guess the smallest lightest thing would fit my character so my choices would be,

Sling - I see this as the Hobbit weapon, so out of my culture.

Catapult - I quite fancy this as it would offer the potential for different shot but would it be a true weapon?
(Would it need a skill?)
Catapult's are siege weapons... no, you can't carry a siege weapon in my game, :lol: . I think you may actually be thinking about a pistol crossbow, and those are inappropriate to the setting.
Throwing Star or shuriken - Not sure if these are in the elven culture?
Also not appropriate to the world.
Dart - Used by ancient greeks and romans, but really just a flighted dagger, so a bit like the knives really.
Carrying these would be a problem to my mind.
Agreed.
Boomerang - Would fit with bird hunting. Could be made easily by the character as a toy so a strong option. Again would it need a skill or would it be simply carving?
The Easterlings might have these. It would be possible for Éadnes to have one of these, eventually. However, he would either first need to find a master who's been studying birds and flight, most likely among the High Elves, and study with them for a couple of full Adventure Phases, perhaps a year to be able to understand characteristics we take for granted, these days, of flight, aerodynamics, etc. Then, he could take time learning to craft such an object, etc. Remember, Silvan Elves are "less wise and more dangerous", so it simply would not be in the typical makeup, regardless of the age of the Elf, of the culture to have something like this. Also, nothing like it would be necessary within Mirkwood, or any wood. Sorry.
Some form of thin net - would fit with catching animals, could be elven rope style and offer great potential.
I suppose it would be possible to work up some rules with this. I am not opposed to the idea, but the rules might be under play-test for a while.
Bolas - I feel this offers the best solution. It is a hunting weapon but can be used to incapacitate an enemy.
This would be quite like the Boomerang, I think, but I've only read about these being available in "Children of Hurin", when Gondolin fell in the year 510 of the First Age. I doubt even the long-lived of Númenor, the Rangers, would know of these. The Dunlendings might have a clue, though. Come to think of it, the Hill-men may also have a clue, though they are typically more Spear and Pike-folk.
So, I guess I'm asking whether I need an identified weapon Bolas ,or just 'thrown weapon' as a skill and if I make a boomerang, net, bolas then that is what I throw.
A separate Weapon Skill COULD be made, but those without any sort of Thrown Weapon skill default to Dagger for that sort of thing.
Now I think this leaves me with 7XP which I could increase sword to level 2 but I wondered whether the half point skills take 2XP to move to level 1?

Pete
Yes, at present you have 7 XP remaining. Increasing Sword to Rank 2 will cost 4 XP. You have no half-point Weapon Skills, but purchasing a new Weapon Skill would cost 2 XP.

I apologize if my words about the weapon types seem harsh or over-wrought with requirements, but I see the game as important enough that things out of the unusual for either the game or Middle-earth, though possible, would have to be treated as such. In Warhammer, especially because of the way the world is developed, it would be a LOT easier to deal with exotic items.

Now, I will say this...

If a good enough story could be written, and it would have to be an enormously good story, with zero cheap tricks in it -though bounded leaps of logic might be acceptable-, and the Company approved of it, I would find a way to make something happen.
Eadnes
Apprentice
Apprentice
Melee APs: 6
Stealth APs: 10
Journey Role: Look-out (P)

Unread post by Eadnes » 12 Oct 2016, 15:02

Thank you Paul,

I will go for Sword to 2 saving 3XP.
Missile weapon - can I leave this for a bit and if my story is unacceptable it will be thrown dagger? I've thought of a story line for the bolas so here goes. It might take some telling!

We left Éadnes at Thorsigsbord. I will take it he spends some time carving wood and getting to see those who visit the town to trade. This would give him some knowledge of men and travelling dwarves from the Grey Mountains.

The seasons continued in their natural cycle and Éadnes did not want to wander in the winter. Spending more time carving the trinkets and mending the wooden utensils of the townsfolk, he became a familiar figure in Thorsigsbord. Eventually the winter cold loosened its grip and the first flowers of spring arrived. Éadnes took the northern road towards the Grey Mountains and the dwarf strongholds. He was keen to see who lived close to the mountains, who dared live close to the western end of the Withered Heath.

As he journeyed into the foothills pockets of snow still lay in the hollows and shaded valleys. As he passed one such covering of snow Éadnes saw tracks, tracks made by orcs or their kin. It was strange, these tracks showed only two and someone or something else. Blood stained the snow and turned to ice with age. Éadnes considered what he should do, wandering enemy he had no instruction to destroy but it could be they took a prisoner for some foul purpose of their own. Éadnes felt he had no choice, he could not leave a prisoner to suffer without at least seeing if he could help.

The trail took him away from roads travelled by the free peoples and hugged the edges of copses and outcrops. As he followed it seemed he was gaining on his quarry, but in doing so it was clear there was more to this strange group he followed. Unless he missed his mark both orc and human bled, stumbled and for some reason were not healing. As he closed on occasional branches, tufts or grass or boulder Éadnes caught the scent of some foul rot. Using all his skills he knew he sought no more than three, but three who stumbled, rested and left a stench of decay behind.

Éadnes knew he was close to those he sought and the only sense he could make of the path of those he hunted was Mount Gundabad. This made no sense, Éadnes knew orc warbands or raiders would leave their home in the Misty Mountains to destroy and plunder. Yet they had no use for farmers and men of the land, why take a peasant as a prisoner? What information or purpose could they have for a man?

Crossing a stream Éadnes saw discarded orc rags, the reek of decay that came from the garment thrown away was nothing Éadnes had ever come across. So, at least one orc was seriously wounded! Listening Éadnes realised the group were just over the next rise. Approaching carefully, peering through scrub Éadnes heard the rasp of blackspeech from the dark shape in front of him. Leaping forward the surprise of his thrust caught the orc totally unaware and his spear strike ended the life of this creature. Spinning forward Éadnes expected to need to dispatch another but it was not needed. Lying gasping on the ground ws a hideously burned and melted orc. Beside him struggling to stand was a man, but a man of a kind Éadnes had only hear about. If garment and description were to be relied on, this was an Easterling!
Fieranor of Imladris
LoreMaster
LoreMaster

Your First Fellowship Phase ~ Spending Advancement Points

Unread post by Fieranor of Imladris » 12 Oct 2016, 15:43

Alright, your Sword Rank is updated, and it is my intent to table the weapon development, pending the remainder of your story, and to move on to spending Advancement Points, now.
In this portion of the Fellowship Phase, we’re working with Advancement Points. Go ahead and open your character record sheet, again, and this forum post, and scroll down to the table “COMMON SKILL IMPROVEMENTS”. As discussed in the Spending Experience Points post, APs are used strictly to improve Common Skills, those eighteen skills available in the skill matrix found in the middle of the front side of your character record sheet. The Available and Total bubbles found at the upper-right of your character sheet, under the Adv. Pts. title work the very same as with XP, so be mindful of the Available points you have to distribute among your Common Skills as you see fit, though I still recommend that you leave these points where they are until you determine how, or even IF you wish to distribute them among your Common Skills.

Éadnes has a total of 16 AP, but only 8 general AP. The remainder of the AP for this character are placed as follows...
  • Awareness 2, and it would cost you 6 AP to improve to Rank 3, minus the 2 AP you already have available;
  • Song 3, and it would cost you 16 AP to improve to Rank 4, though you have 3 points already in the skill to reduce that cost to 13;
  • Travel as a half-skill, and it would cost you 4 AP to purchase at Rank 1, though that is reduced to 3 AP for the AP you already have in the skill;
  • Insight 2, and it would cost you 9 AP normally to raise it to Rank 3, but you already have 1 point, so it would only cost you 8, instead;
  • Lore 3, and to raise it to Rank 4 would cost 11 points rather than the normal 12, as you already have a point earned for that skill;
  • If you wish to pick up a NEW Common Skill, it will cost you 4 APs for non-favored, or 3 APs for favored.
Remember, costs are incremental and cumulative for Common Skills, as they are for Weapon Skills, Valor and Wisdom, and Attribute improvements. What this means is, if you wished to purchase a Common Skill Rank from 2 to 3, it would cost you 12 AP for non-favored or 9 AP for favored; if, however, you wished to increase it from 3 to 4, the cost would be another 16 AP for non-favored or 12 AP favored. Moving a non-favored skill from Rank 2 to 4 would cost a total of 28 AP, while for favored the cost would be only 21 AP.

The AP costs associated with favored Common Skills is lower than the normal cost, so be mindful which column of the Advancement Points chart you’re looking at.

Once you have determined how you wish to spend your Advancement Points, please post your plan in this thread, so I can update your character sheet.
Eadnes
Apprentice
Apprentice

Unread post by Eadnes » 13 Oct 2016, 16:11

Hi Paul,

i think I'll increase awareness and travel. which I think leave 1AP carried over.

Thank you.

Pete
Eadnes
Apprentice
Apprentice

Unread post by Eadnes » 13 Oct 2016, 16:21

The Easterling was similarly injured. A terrible heat or vitriol had affected the man's flesh. His left arm hung at his side swathed in bloody bandages and a green ichor encrusted all his garments on that side. His armour was rent and pieces had been cast aside to allow cloth to be pressed against what unimaginable injuries lay beneath.
Raising his hand he cried , "Hold, hold for kindness hold!"
As Éadnes gazed at the ruin of a man beneath him the remaining orc scrabbled backwards an half stumbled, half crawled out of the hollow. As Éadnes watched the creature leave he could see its wounds open up once again with a mixture of orc blood and some pestilence spilling on the ground. It was clear the orc could not clearly see which way it was going and would surely perish on its own. Éadnes redirected his gaze back to the fallen Easterling.
Fieranor of Imladris
LoreMaster
LoreMaster

Your First Fellowship Phase ~ Standing Upkeep at Home, in a Sanctuary, or at a Holding

Unread post by Fieranor of Imladris » 13 Oct 2016, 17:08

I made a mistake... to raise your Awareness to Rank 3 would actually have cost 9, but only 7 with the assigned APs. You would not have been able to increase Travel also. However, since it was my mistake, I let Travel stand for 2 points rather than 4, but that means you're at 0 APs remaining. My apologies, but at least Éadnes is squared away. Sorry.
Your Company has decided they are remaining together for this Fellowship Phase, going to The Eagle's Eyrie -at least, I'm pretty sure Artorius will be going with you all. As none of you have a Holding, just now, we’ll table that question for a later Fellowship Phase.

Please open this post and scroll down to the title “Standing Upkeep” so you can read what standing is all about. In essence, if you decided to go Home, you get to automatically keep your Standing, there and, if you pay some of your hard-earned Treasure, you can raise your standing there. It is the same with alternate Sanctuaries, though you only possess one or two Sanctuaries, just now. You are NOT required to spend any Treasure/Gold at any Fellowship Phase other than the Year's End Fellowship Phase if you do not wish; however, if you do decide to spend it, now, you will need to keep track of when it is next due. You may spend Treasure/Gold in ANY Fellowship Phase to Raise Your Standing at home or abroad, but that also resets your annual upkeep time.

Once you have decided whether you’re intent to spend Treasure or not, and how, please post your plan in this thread, so I can update your character sheet.
Eadnes
Apprentice
Apprentice

Unread post by Eadnes » 13 Oct 2016, 17:29

Hi Paul,

As I may need Thranduil's good side at some point, I'll spend the 1 gold. I'm not sure how it gets back there., maybe I send it with a bird and a note detailing my adventures so far. It is scattered throughout his books that elves could understand birds and certain birds could talk to the different peoples. It might be nice to say it is the nightnigale but how one could carry a gold piece? Maybe a message is carried to the family who pay the tithe?
Anyway it doesn't matter, I'll pay the 1 gold.

:)
Fieranor of Imladris
LoreMaster
LoreMaster

Unread post by Fieranor of Imladris » 13 Oct 2016, 17:36

Don't forget, you're not necessarily actually sending gold. You could send home blankets, a special wine, items that would be important or needed by your people or that the King would greatly appreciate. The Gold sent could also represent how many letters/reports Éadnes sends family or the King over the course of the year.

Anyway, I'll get your sheet updated momentarily, but not necessarily updated right away.

So, the next Step for the Fellowship Phase will take place in the OOC thread, but I want to wait until everyone's completed XPs, APs and this last Step, before I get to the Fellowship Phase Undertakings.
Fieranor of Imladris
LoreMaster
LoreMaster

Your First Fellowship Phase ~ Choosing an Undertaking

Unread post by Fieranor of Imladris » 16 Oct 2016, 22:35

Fellowship Phase Undertakings are found, here, but when you select one, please paste your answer in this thread?

Thank you.
Eadnes
Apprentice
Apprentice

Unread post by Eadnes » 19 Oct 2016, 15:39

Perform Tasks for The Lord of the Eagle's

I'll put it the other thread too.

:)

Pete
Fieranor of Imladris
LoreMaster
LoreMaster

Unread post by Fieranor of Imladris » 19 Oct 2016, 16:14

I'll come to a bit of story, soon, where I can outline the basic terms, at least, for the first task the Lord of the Eagle's wants the three of you (Moro, Ellisidil, and yourself) to do, and then the three of you would be welcome to role-play through the story. I'm thinking one of you, or all three of you, might work together to tell that story, in separate thread.
Eadnes
Apprentice
Apprentice

Unread post by Eadnes » 19 Oct 2016, 16:38

Éadnes stard at the Easterling, what could have caused such hideous deformities? Many thoughts flashed through his mind and he knew he had to keep this man alive to discover what had driven him to such dangers.

"Breath easy man of earth, you are in no state to fight and I have no stomach to end your life here"

He looked around and finding little he began to cut a shelter from the smaller trees and branches that surrounded the hollow. He poured a little of his water into his cup and left it for the Easterling to drink whilst he worked. It took him some time but in the end he had protection from the wind and rain. Creating a place for a fire Éadnes felt he had fashioned a shelter that would protect them both from the elements but not reveal their location easily to prying eyes. Quickly explaining he would search for something to eat he instructed the injured man to sleep.
Returning some hours later Éadnes felt comfortable having discovered that both orcs now lay dead. He made sure both bodies were far enough from his camp that any that fed on carrion would leave them undisturbed and then returned his thoughts to his unexpected guest. It was clear the Easterling was exhausted and needed no encouragement to sleep for he did not wake until the next mid-day. It was the smell of a rabbit roasting over the fire that brought him to his senses.

"So you are awake! Are ou strong enough to eat?" Éadnes smiled at the bleary eyed man.

Éadnes gently offered the starving man small pieces of meat. He did not want the Easterling to eat too quickly and double in pain vomiting his innards onto the ground. Each small mouthful was gratefully received and after what was only a small amount the Easterling stopped.

"Thank you, it is better than the awful black broth the orcs carried. I am Abd al-Aziz although barely worthy of the name now. My foolishness has brought me to ruin. I know I am your enemy but I am glad I am no longer dragged by orcs."

With this the man would had called himself Abd al-Aziz fell back once more into sleep. Éadnes used every moment to find fresh water, collect any edible plants and catch any creature he could hunt. His snares caught mostly small creatures but skinned and roasted or boiled in a stew they were enough for him and his strange guest. As time passed it became clear to Éadnes the wounds on the left side were not healing. The leg in particular hung loosely and the flesh seemed to be diminishing with each hour.

"I fear you will not live long al-Aziz, you injuries are virulent and I do not have any medicine more than herbs to ease you sleep." Éadnes spoke quietly to the injured man. "The only hope I see is removing your leg, but even this may not save you. Tell me how did you end up like this? If i knew what caused this, I might be able to think of another way."

The Easterling known as Abd al-Aziz lay back and it seemed he would burst with tears.
"It matters not that i tell you what i know. My past was but small and I do not know all. I was sent north with a large squadron of specialists, archers, those that could make ballista and trebuchet. Those that could make chains and tight cord from molten metal. We were told we would be met by a great general, one who would let us know the next step."

A gurgling cracking laugh issued from the man's lips as he fought with his memories. "We thought w went to war, to make siege on an enemy tower. We did not realise how our bodies would be broken and rent, far more than any tower."

Abd al-Aziz lay back gasping in pain and Éadnes knew without removing this man's leg he would not last another night. "Hold your tale and let me at least try to give you a life after tonight! If you must speak, allow me to prepare should you make the decision."

With brief nod Abd al-Aziz restarted his story. " We were met by orcs and one fell general. We found him difficult to face and to hear his voice was a sound that spoke in the mind as well as sounding in the ears. We would go North through the mountain foothills and approach a place that the orcs knew and quaked in fear at the sound of. We were angered, we were not to fight anyone but looking for four of seven gems. We were to be treasure hunters, no more! Ha! But if we had know who had the treasure, we would never have gone so willingly"
Fieranor of Imladris
LoreMaster
LoreMaster

Unread post by Fieranor of Imladris » 19 Oct 2016, 17:09

Man, this story is really coming along beautifully. I better back up the database, while I'm thinking about it. I've been meaning to do so for about three weeks, now... this is a good time.
Eadnes
Apprentice
Apprentice

Unread post by Eadnes » 23 Oct 2016, 15:36

Éadnes prepared as best he could. He collected the root of plants that gave a strong white gum, smelling of aniseed. To this he mixed juice from fresh leaves of trees that smelt of menthol. He set to boil and reduce the leaves of ferns to extract the poisonous sap. Although it took time the liquid he drained from the mixture he would use to soak bandages in. He hoped the bandages would do better in halting the rot than seemed to infect the leg of Abd al-Aziz. The only blade he had that could cut away the useless flesh from the leg was his falchion. Thankfully this blade was weighty and if carefully handled may slice the bone. It would not be easy but it could be done. Éadnes created a fire and building a clay oven around it prepared to heat the blade until it would be hot. This would need careful watching as he did not want the blade to soften and become blunt. He needed it sharp but hot enough to cauterise as it passed through the muscle. al-Aziz drifted in and out of delirium but Éadnes listens silently as he told his tale.

"It seemed as though we marched for weeks in rain and sleet. We hated it as snow only lies on the highest mountain tops back home. We were not dressed for such weather. Our armour let in the rain and the wind whipped through us. We soon all complained of the cold with a runny nose and lips peeling from the wind. As we passed further north it seemed we passed grass and marshlands that were the breeding ground for tiny flies. These flew into every joint in our armour an bit us remorselessly. Small red bites appeared on our bodies as though we had the disease of children, measles. In our land we have mosquitoes, their bite produces blisters of puss, but maybe only one or two. These flies flew in our mouths, into our noses and covered us with bites that itched and bled when we scratched them. We could see mountains ahead. You call them Grey Mountains i think. We have to go further north than we wished because we were to avoid the northern extent of the great wood. The orcs were terrified of elvish patrols but we would have fought to the death then and there the march was so miserable. As we pushed through the mountains we were always taking paths less well trod. Orc scouts came to tell us where every settlement was, any sign of people, dwarf or even bird that might report our passing was avoided. As we turned East, we started to see fever in our train. Although the orcs did not seem to be hindered we Easerlings started to fall sick and as we could not halt, many died on the trail. I could not say, but many of us believed the orcs ate those we buried once we had moved on."

Abd al-Aziz started to cough and it became clear Éadnes realised he would have to act. The story would have to wait if he were to have any chance of saving this man's life.
Giving al-Aziz a piece of wood to place in his mouth he had carved for the purpose Éadnes began the grizzly work of removing the now rotted leg. In an attempt to stop this foul vitriol from moving further up the leg, he cut the leg above the knee where it looked a better colour. The leg gave way easily under the sword and this was worrying, perhaps the poison infecting the leg moved inside to out? Sealing the flesh as it passed the would was as clean as could be in the desperation of the moment. Wrapping it as best he could while the unconscious al-Aziz lay still now Éadnes needed to wait.
Fieranor of Imladris
LoreMaster
LoreMaster

Unread post by Fieranor of Imladris » 23 Oct 2016, 19:51

Out-of-Character Man, these are some pretty great lengths to which Éadnes is going to help this guy. Good story.