A Review of The Silmarillion

Pretty much anything goes, here, but please try to keep it clean? Thanks.
Fieranor of Imladris
LoreMaster
LoreMaster
Journey Role: LoreMaster

A Review of The Silmarillion

Unread postby Fieranor of Imladris » 10 Sep 2016, 21:01

So, many stories to tell and be told.

http://www.ew.com/article/2016/03/24/si ... eading-day

There's a lot of focus on the negative parts of the story, but little on the more positive aspects introduced through the story. I have to read through the rest of the Silmarillion, and it's a hard book to read, but I'm getting there a few pages at a time.
"Gondolin might not have fallen, with proper military technique and force applied."
"Los que arriesgan , vivir de verdad || Those who risk, truly live." ~ It isn't Tolkien, but it's true.

Petecoi
Apprentice
Apprentice
Journey Role: Look-out (P)

Re: A Review of The Silmarillion

Unread postby Petecoi » 27 Sep 2016, 14:31

Hi Paul,

The Silmarillion is a lovely book if read as a unfinished library. Like the Bible it is really a collection of stories that grounds the events in the Lord of the Rings. Christopher has done a great job but in truth he cannot be his father and so the magic isn't the same. Hence further books rarely have a coherent feel to them where he has needed to cut and paste. The Silmarillion is the closest to Tolkien's vision but I do not believe he was going to release it. I think he was going to write the fabled return of the shadow book but he always focused on background first. There just isn't a unified story in the Silmarillion and in the end Tolkien loved publishing stories.

Good luck with the read.

Pete

Fieranor of Imladris
LoreMaster
LoreMaster
Journey Role: LoreMaster

Re: A Review of The Silmarillion

Unread postby Fieranor of Imladris » 27 Sep 2016, 14:48

Still, there are several movies and a television show Sir PJ is considering producing, if not directing, but I've heard nothing since September 2nd, and likely will not until after the new year. As for single coherent stories, there's not one small coherent story; rather, there is one LARGE coherent tale.
"Gondolin might not have fallen, with proper military technique and force applied."
"Los que arriesgan , vivir de verdad || Those who risk, truly live." ~ It isn't Tolkien, but it's true.

Return to “Public Discussion”