Éadnes Andwiltan of Mirkwood - Peter C.

If you have a character in our game, you will find their journal in this area, as well as some stickied threads near the top of the list for songs and stories. As well Player-heroes (PHs), as they are called in The One Ring, have some basic information here concerning how to build them. A journal means you have the opportunity to develop your character's depth to help you be able to get into them, even in a slow-flow forum-based setting such as our game. Have fun with it... using your journal and helping the group with songs may even lead you to gaining experience for posting about them.
Fieranor of Imladris
LoreMaster
LoreMaster
Melee APs: 4
Stealth APs: 4

Re: Éadnes Andwiltan of Mirkwood - Peter C.

Unread post by Fieranor of Imladris » 02 Sep 2016, 13:46

Out-of-Character To be honest with you, you're actually sort of at a pause, because the Journey Phase is more or less the board game movement portion of the game, which can turn into other things. If you want to write, now would actually be that time.
Eadnes
Apprentice
Apprentice
Melee APs: 6
Stealth APs: 10
Journey Role: Look-out (P)

Unread post by Eadnes » 04 Sep 2016, 14:51

Out-of-Character ∴ OK. I'm just getting some maps together to describe the journey prior to the one we are on. Do you mind if they are from a variety of sources? I'm aware Middle Earth has been mined by many and they have all invented the bits inbetween the original maps.
Fieranor of Imladris
LoreMaster
LoreMaster

Unread post by Fieranor of Imladris » 04 Sep 2016, 15:56

Out-of-Character Y',know, that actually sounds pretty good. I would say use your discretion to select whatever map(s) you like; I know the map on the Roll 20 site is not the best, nor the best-described. However, as you're working on those maps, please keep the positions from the Roll 20 map, which was developed for The One Ring specifically, in mind. There are many locations the Company has yet to find, so if there's a location you desire to use, and depending on the intended use, and you're uncertain because it doesn't show up on the map I have, as edited, thus far, you can always ask. Fair enough?
Eadnes
Apprentice
Apprentice

Unread post by Eadnes » 05 Sep 2016, 12:36

Out-of-Character ∴ Sounds very fair. I'll start to post tonight. Just let me know if I need to tweak anything.
Fieranor of Imladris
LoreMaster
LoreMaster

Unread post by Fieranor of Imladris » 05 Sep 2016, 12:58

Out-of-Character I'm certainly looking forward to reading it.
Eadnes
Apprentice
Apprentice

Unread post by Eadnes » 05 Sep 2016, 13:17

The discovery of the Necromancer's true face sent shivers down the spines of all those who remembered the Battle of the Last Alliance. From the deaths of Amdir and Oropher to the last stand of Gil-galad and Elendir the hurt that lay over the hearst of elvenkind tightened with a blackness only possible with the return of the Shadow. Sauron the dark disciple of Melkor. The nobility of the Greenwood, Lothlórien and Imladris called a council where they realised they could not defeat Sauron resurrected, especially if they could not prevent him from regaining the One Ring. Resigned to the Long Defeat, they knew this was the time of man and in doing so the start of the elven exodus from Middle Earth. Yet, they refused to give in to dispair. Elrond in particular held onto his anger and acknowledging the inevitable boredom of men with good, pushed the others to hope for Aragorn. The group then decided to work with all the free peoples but in secret. They would keep their forces about them and hide all they could from the artifices of the enemy. Yet they would send messengers abroad to discover all they could, work alongside the White Council and advise those Sauron would corrupt. It was in this light that Thranduil remembered Éadnes and determined to send him abroad from the Greenwood.
Eadnes
Apprentice
Apprentice

Unread post by Eadnes » 05 Sep 2016, 13:35

On returning to his kingdom of the Woodland Realm, Thranduil thought about the lads around him. He lacked the number of Elven Lords Elrond had to command and was loath to send them into the wild. So he called for Éadnes and spoke of his need to know not only the plots of courts but understand what lay in the hearts of men around the Greenwood. Éadnes was to become known to common men, the towns in which they dwell and send news. How many would fight against the darkness? How many would run? More importantly, how may would succumb to greed, hate and darkness. Thranduil suggested Éadnes contact him through the birds of the land and sent him out of the Greenwood North.
Eadnes
Apprentice
Apprentice

Unread post by Eadnes » 05 Sep 2016, 13:56

Éadnes took the elven path east before turning north. At first he followed the river path he knew from his time in Dale. The land to the east was recovering since the death of Smaug. Dwarven gold brough trade and villages and towns formed around the tributaries and good grazing land. It was not long before Éadnes met those happy to be entertained by his stories and songs. He was fortunate to meet a merchant from Esgaroth, rebuilt from the ruins, who remembered his puppet shows for children. Éadnes quickly realised there was no point in going further east, far better to avoid the marshes around the forest river and head North immediately. The small settlements were full of poor but optimistic people. For them the land was unoccupied, there was no danger, they ploughed, raised animals and fished.
Eadnes
Apprentice
Apprentice

Unread post by Eadnes » 06 Sep 2016, 15:48

Éadnes went north with the Greenwood to his left walking over scrubland, although the dragon Smaug was dead, the desolation still was worthy of the name. Éadnes trudged onwards and although he had avoided the marshlands, the scrub with its low growing wild berries were home to flies. Flies that with every step would swarm up from the low grasses sticking to his eyes and mouth. There were few people and little to see. Continuing north Éadnes eventually came across an old road. Laid with stones the accuracy of their joints left him with no doubt it was a dwarf road. Thinking back to he tried to place where this road led, was this the old link between Erebor and Ered Mithrin? If so going East would return him to Erebor and West take him across the northern edge of the Greenwood. Yet this road showed little signs of wear. In these lands the people were known as northmen, considered wild by many, shunning anything that might draw doom to them. The Withered Heath lay to the east of their land and Mount Gundabad to the west. Yet Éadnes knew to fulfil the wishes of his king he needed to pass through Daedric's Gap and discover if the northmen were succumbing to the mind of the shadow. Pulling his belt tighter he strode forward.
Eadnes
Apprentice
Apprentice

Unread post by Eadnes » 06 Sep 2016, 16:08

Soon Éadnes saw signs that the land was used by people. He came across shelters where one could light a fire and not be seen by unwanted eyes. Bones scattered in the undergrowth after the slaughter of the hunt. There was no signs of orcs, these were the signs of men repopulating the land. Soon Éadnes came across the first small villages and quickly drew the attention of those living there. Elves were not often seen in these lands and Éadnes used all his skills in song to show he was no threat to man, woman or child. Asking where he was he found many of these villages had no name other than the family that had settled. Yet they all talked of Thorsigsborg and the treasures they could buy there if they trapped enough furs or raised enough grain. These people were poor but honest, they would not fight for Sauron for in truth they had no means to fight. Éadnes had heard of Thorsigsborg and taking directions he set off to see this first town and judge its mood.
Eadnes
Apprentice
Apprentice

Unread post by Eadnes » 11 Sep 2016, 14:54

Approaching Thorsigsbord at night Éadnes found the town to be well defended. the town was surrounded by a stout fence of felled tree trunks, sharpened to discourage climbers. What use these would doa against an Orc Army Éadnes could only guess, a magnet for fire he thought. He decided to sleep outside the walls and wait until dawn. Seaching round he found a small outcrop he could shelter in and setting his camp lay down to sleep. The fires from the town produced a think smoke that hung over the town trapping the light coming from every window. Éadnes could tell the town burnt the decaying soil from the marshlands, he now knew the small huts and lean-to lodges he had passed must be full of drying peat. Settling down for the night he thought how he could best enter the town without causing suspicion?
Awaking from a uncomfortable sleep Éadnes could think of no alternative other than arriving to bring his trade as a carpenter. Rather than approach first thing in the morning he took the time to make a few ornaments from small pieces of wood, evidence of his skill before approaching the gate. This proved a useful gambit and one he resolved to use when approaching large towns. The guards quickly recognised the skill in the work and let him through. Thorsigsborg proved a prosperous town and now it seemed not only did good from from the Mountains to Esgaroth but rishes from erebor were making there way here. Éadnes quickly realised that where there was properity, the people would fight to retain their wealth. Alliances would be made against the foul minions of the Dark Lord. This was good news for Thranduil, it seemed the Northern Border was not undefended.
Fieranor of Imladris
LoreMaster
LoreMaster

Your First Fellowship Phase ~ Spending Experience Points

Unread post by Fieranor of Imladris » 07 Oct 2016, 22:52

This post is the first of five posts regarding the Fellowship Phase, and is coming as your Company is deciding whether you will remain together and attend to the Eagle’s Eyrie, or if you will temporarily disband and go Home, or to another Sanctuary. While you continue to role-play and, eventually, get to making that decision, there are some steps of the Fellowship Phase which can be taken care of, now, as they do not require you to be in any particular location to make them happen; nor must they absolutely be done in any particular sequence.

So, we’re going to begin with spending Experience Points; in The One Ring there are two types of experience you may acquire and those are Experience Points (XP) and Advancement Points (AP).

Please open your character sheet and follow along; thank you.

APs are used strictly for Common Skills, the eighteen skills available in the skill matrix you see in the middle of the front side of your character record sheet. In this portion of the Fellowship Phase, I’m concerned more with XP, which are used to improve Weapon Skills, Valor or Wisdom, and/or one of your Attributes.

Before we get into spending your XP, let’s take a look at your character record and see how many total XP you have. If you’ll look toward the Upper-right of your sheet, you’ll see the title Exp. Pts.; beneath that title, you’ll see bubbles with titles above them for Available and Total. The Available bubble lists the general experience you have that can be distributed anywhere among Weapon Skills, Valor and Wisdom, and Attributes; we’ll go over those, soon, but for now stick with me. The Total bubble tells you the running total of XP you’ve earned throughout the life of the game, thus far; these are for record-keeping purposes only. :) You’ll notice the Available and Total numbers are not the same, that Available is lower than Total, but all you need worry about is the number in the Available bubble, as the remainder of your XP are spread among the items you can improve only with XP. We will figure that out together; keep reading.

You might be asking, how are Experience and Advancement Points awarded, and I will tell you there are two ways I award them, and a third way to earn them through general role-playing and posting...
  1. Generic: If you perform well in role-playing, in helping the Company to develop plans, in figuring out how to overcome certain problems, in fighting, but your action does not match anything specific in the mechanics of the game or a skill or characteristic on your character record sheet, you gain a generic point, something that can be distributed as YOU see fit into the skills and/or characteristics on your character sheet. Likewise, any points earned from post-count come to the generic pool;
  2. Specific: If you perform any of the actions, as per generic, above, but the action DOES match a skill or characteristic on your character record sheet, the point earned goes to THAT specific skill or characteristic;
  3. Post-count: As you’re posting through the course of the game, I evaluate each post to determine if the post advances your character’s story, the story of a fellow character, the story of the entire Company, or the story not relating directly to your Player-heroes. Few of the posts that advance your character’s story as opposed to that of the whole Company will be considered acceptable, while nearly all made to advance the whole Company’s story, or the overall story, will count. Writing dialog for your character, addressing the whole of the Company is a good post example, while writing about your own character’s constant state of readiness or wariness is not; as well, OOC posts that do not advance the story are not counted, while those that clearly work toward fast-planning and do move the current Phase and/or the entire story along will almost certainly count. I keep a record of these good posts for entry into a spreadsheet I have built so you can be awarded for your “write-playing” and, again, they are added to your generic points, both Experience and Advancement.
Éadnes has a total of 11 XP, but only 7 general XP. The remainder of the Available XP for this character are placed as follows...
  • If you wish to pick up a NEW Weapon Skill, it will cost you 2 XP;
  • Valor 1 and/or Wisdom 2, will cost 4 XP to improve Valor to 2 and 6 XP to improve Wisdom to 3. You may choose either Valor of Wisdom to improve by ONLY one (1) Rank during THIS Fellowship Phase, though you are NOT required to improve either. This choice is made during each Fellowship Phase. You already have 2 points each in Valor and Wisdom, dropping the cost for Valor to 2 XP and Wisdom to 4 XP;
  • Attributes can be improved, but this is very costly, and only one Attribute can be improved by 1 point between adventures, though you are NOT required to improve any attribute, if you don’t want to. You CAN place any remaining Available XP next to an attribute if you have plans to eventually improve it; note that once XP is moved from the generic pool, it cannot later be re-purposed. Attributes may be improved no more than five points EACH over the life of the character.
If you’re wondering where I am getting my XP cost values, click here to open the Advancement post on our forums and scroll down until you see the title “WEAPON SKILL, VALOR AND WISDOM IMPROVEMENTS”.

You can see the costs associated with character improvement using XP for each Rank, and each Rank has its own cost associated; these costs are cumulative. Ie – If you wished to purchase a Weapon Skill Rank from 2 to 3, it would cost you 6 XP; if, however, you wished to increase it from 3 to 4, the cost would be another 10 XP. If you decided to increase two ranks at one time, the total would be 16 XP between Ranks 2 and 4. Weapon Skills that are favored cost the same amount of XP to improve as non-favored. If you are an Elf of Rivendell or a Ranger from the North, your associated XP costs are higher for these skills.

Once you have determined how you wish to spend your Experience Points, please post your plan in this thread, so I can update your character sheet. If you are maintaining a printed copy of your own character record, or even one on the computer, you will be able to use the copy I will upload soon to ensure you have the correct numbers. If your numbers don’t match mine bring it up with me, here, and I will double-check my numbers and, if an explanation is required, I will post one in this thread, as well.
Eadnes
Apprentice
Apprentice

Unread post by Eadnes » 10 Oct 2016, 15:29

Hi Paul,

If I understand this correctly.

I have 7 XP to allocate generally on skills.
I have 4XP to allocate specifically - weapon skill, Valour/Wisdom, an attribute.
Thus a total of 11, is this right?

So, Moving Valour to 2 = 2XP, a new weapon skill 2XP from specific allocation.
Fieranor of Imladris
LoreMaster
LoreMaster

Unread post by Fieranor of Imladris » 10 Oct 2016, 15:41

Which new weapon skill?
Eadnes
Apprentice
Apprentice

Unread post by Eadnes » 11 Oct 2016, 02:49

Hi Paul,
I've some thoughts here and I guess I'm asking what you would prefer in the game.

I need some form of missile weapon.
I originally thought of throwing a knife as a skill.
You explained these would be too heavy and out of culture.
I guess the smallest lightest thing would fit my character so my choices would be,

Sling - I see this as the Hobbit weapon, so out of my culture.

Catapult - I quite fancy this as it would offer the potential for different shot but would it be a true weapon?
(Would it need a skill?)

Throwing Star or shuriken - Not sure if these are in the elven culture?

Dart - Used by ancient greeks and romans, but really just a flighted dagger, so a bit like the knives really.
Carrying these would be a problem to my mind.

Boomerang - Would fit with bird hunting. Could be made easily by the character as a toy so a strong option. Again would it need a skill or would it be simply carving?

Some form of thin net - would fit with catching animals, could be elven rope style and offer great potential.

Bolas - I feel this offers the best solution. It is a hunting weapon but can be used to incapacitate an enemy.

So, I guess I'm asking whether I need an identified weapon Bolas ,or just 'thrown weapon' as a skill and if I make a boomerang, net, bolas then that is what I throw.

Now I think this leaves me with 7XP which I could increase sword to level 2 but I wondered whether the half point skills take 2XP to move to level 1?

Pete