Before the Dawn ~ Act Three (It's Always Darkest...)

Sir Alain Fisk
Founding Member
Founding Member

Re: Before the Dawn ~ Act Three (It's Always Darkest...)

Unread postby Sir Alain Fisk » 24 Dec 2013, 16:47

Jack_Jones wrote:Merry Christmas all.

Currently 22.05 here in the uk. Olivia has finally gone to sleep as excitement levels have been quite high :)

I hope you all have a successful and happy 2014
Almost time to go to work, Santa, hehe.

NOTE: Use the following for your rolls on invisiblecastle.com/roller; Number of Rolls: 1, Dice: 2d10.extra(10), then copy the line of text inside the box on the results page, not any of the links. Next, find your bonus number from the Bonus Number chart on your character sheet, then add that bonus to the appropriate skill or attribute value -do NOT add the dice roll itself-, along with any other modifiers from abilities or technology to generate your total.

Sir Alain Fisk
Founding Member
Founding Member

Unread postby Sir Alain Fisk » 24 Dec 2013, 16:56

Matthias wrote:
Out-Of-Character ∴ A bit on the late side of life here, but I trust that everyone will have a great evening and wonderful morning with the families all yelling and trying to poke, scratch, claw, and otherwise attempt to get their presents!

Also for the adults, have a safe new years and watch out for the loons that decide to drive when they shouldn't!
Hehe... the last time we had a big Christmas, a good deal of the family together, we chose the eldest teenager and made her hand out gifts, LOL. It was so much fun to pick on her. No clawing or scratching for gifts this year, I'm afraid.

Out-Of-Character ∴ Ok Paul. Let me know what I can help with to get roll20 up and running. I have been playing with it as well as I was looking at that and RPTools. I personally think RPTools is the better option, but you have to have your own server running, which I happen to have 2 running so it is a no brainer for me. We can hash out thoughts through email or another forum if you would like to move it there, or tell me to stuff it and I will stop insisting that I can help! :D
I took a look at RP Tools and, though they looked good, and I'm sure we could find an expansion each for Torg and Warhammer, it just seemed like too much for me. Besides, IIRC, RP Tools costs $20 per person that would participate, plus $40 or $60 for the GM. Roll 20 is absolutely free, unless you want to purchase some of the packs available, and then they're usually $5 each, only one of which I've seen at $10, and then quite a few of them are at $4. My only problem with rebuilding the map provided in the game... okay, the only problem is laziness on my part.

As for telling you to stuff it, I won't do that because I know you have mad skills when it comes to doing most of this stuff; however, I also need to try and do these things myself. It's the type of person I am, unless I know for a fact I'm not going to do anything with it.

NOTE: Use the following for your rolls on invisiblecastle.com/roller; Number of Rolls: 1, Dice: 2d10.extra(10), then copy the line of text inside the box on the results page, not any of the links. Next, find your bonus number from the Bonus Number chart on your character sheet, then add that bonus to the appropriate skill or attribute value -do NOT add the dice roll itself-, along with any other modifiers from abilities or technology to generate your total.

Matthias
Seeker
Seeker

Unread postby Matthias » 24 Dec 2013, 17:02

Out-Of-Character ∴ Sorry to have to inform you of this Paul.... RPTools is completely free bud o.0" It is the primary reason I have been toying with it lately over Roll20. Roll20 is nice and all, but at $50 a year.. meh. Let me run it on my own hardware that I am already paying for! :D
Out-Of-Character ∴ My speech colors are: #9c2c8d for speech to others and #2C9C78 when talking in my own head!

My Character Sheet

╔═══ My Current Card Pool ═══╗

╚═══════════════════

╔═══ My Current Card Hand ═══╗
Idea/Clue
Nemesis
Campaign
Hero
╚═══════════════════

Sir Alain Fisk
Founding Member
Founding Member

Unread postby Sir Alain Fisk » 25 Dec 2013, 08:39

Matthias wrote:
Out-Of-Character ∴ Sorry to have to inform you of this Paul.... RPTools is completely free bud o.0" It is the primary reason I have been toying with it lately over Roll20. Roll20 is nice and all, but at $50 a year.. meh. Let me run it on my own hardware that I am already paying for! :D
Okay, but two things:

1) I don't have to pay anything I don't want to, so it is, in essence free. However, I also have access to a fantastic library that I can purchase, download, and upload with limitless space, and

2) We can take turns playing, we don't all have to be there at the same time. You could take your turn and go back to family or work or play, like we do with the forums, and Gavin could come along a few hours later and do what he's going to do, etc. For RP Tools, everyone has to be there playing at the same time. For us, right now, time zones matter, so we have to have flexibility in the system. That part I got straight from the Roll 20 guys. :D

Like I said, for me RP Tools appears to be overly complicated and, though Roll 20 is not that far behind it, and the time requirement might be prohibitive, it is still easier to use than RP Tools.

Now, again, I'm not stuck on Roll 20, or RP Tools/MapTools, or anything for that matter, and I'm still trying to make a decision on whether I would use any of them, and unfortunately that decision may need to wait several days. 8)

Matthias
Seeker
Seeker

Unread postby Matthias » 25 Dec 2013, 18:29

Out-Of-Character ∴ It is all good bud. I was just pointing out the freeness of it :)

Out-Of-Character ∴

My speech colors are: #9c2c8d for speech to others and #2C9C78 when talking in my own head!

My Character Sheet

╔═══ My Current Card Pool ═══╗

╚═══════════════════

╔═══ My Current Card Hand ═══╗
Idea/Clue
Nemesis
Campaign
Hero
╚═══════════════════

Jack_Jones
Seeker
Seeker

Unread postby Jack_Jones » 01 Jan 2014, 09:03

Happy new year guys. Have a great 2014
Character Sheet

Jack's Pool Cards

Jack's Card Hand (These are not available, except under special circumstance, until they are moved into your Pool)
Idea/Clue
Opponent Fails
Second Chance
Drama

Sir Alain Fisk
Founding Member
Founding Member

Unread postby Sir Alain Fisk » 01 Jan 2014, 11:10

Out-Of-Character ∴ I think this year is going to be different than the previous years, better somehow. 2013 was actually not bad, as I look back at it, though there was a LOT of worry about where the next meal might be coming from. However, being able to return to school to keep my education current, if not my work experience, has been a blessing, and I'm looking forward to being able to graduate.

I have had ZERO time to work with Roll 20, and as next week I have a bunch of medical and school stuff coming up, I don't think I'll have time. Sorry, guys, I'll try to work up some time, but I don't know how that's going to turn out, just now. I was trying to get my desire up to work on it, but it's just not there. I'll try harder.

Anyway, Happy New Year, guys.

Sir Alain Fisk
Founding Member
Founding Member

Unread postby Sir Alain Fisk » 14 Jan 2014, 10:41

GameMaster Note
Back to the game, finally. Let’s finish strong on this. You guys are in a very tight situation. This is a LONG post, but it would behoove you to read it as soon as you have the chance, please?

Dr. Random went unconscious, and his suit’s automated Weird Science devices kicked in to send him back to the surface.

Matthias is in it deep, as he has two skeletons near the prow (front end) of the ancient pirate vessel, and has decided to engage them this round, after recovering himself from laying on one of the skeletons after the explosion of the Octi-Grenade that jack set off. The side of the ship you’re on, Matthias, is actually sort of weak in structure, now, and you can feel it as you’re moving around, though it doesn’t feel like it’s going to give way, just yet. There is also one skeleton remaining behind you, as the other went over the side in the same explosion, and you’re certain he is advancing toward you. Game-wise, he will be at your back in the next round, unless you manage to do some fancy footwork and put the other two you’re facing off with on the same side during THIS round.

Jack, you finally got to your feet, and reach the machine with time enough to give Eltee a bonus on his Weird Science skill. However, you notice a glint of movement, the light from the increasingly bright Infernal Machine shining briefly off something in the far corner. You didn’t see the pirate Captain disperse into tiny bits, so you can’t quite be sure whether it’s dead or not.

Now, I’ve included the following to remind you all of where we were when we left off for the holiday break. I would ask all of you to read it, for your own edification, please? However, for Eltee, I’m going to ask that he, especially, take the time to do so… there’s more at the bottom for the advancement of this adventure, if you’re just going to skip.

Action Stack, A3, S2, R8

Scene: Dramatic
Initiative: Villain
Villain Advantage: Trick, Test, Taunt, Intimidate (Ad; Villain only, blank result for heroes: each successful skill use removes one card from that PCs card pool; may be many for success level, pg. 63 ORB)
Hero Advantage: None (No advantages or disadvantages this round)
Approved Action(s): Taunt / Test. (Skeletons are immune to most social interactions, including Intimidate, Taunt, and Trick. Test of Wills can work, but it's going to be two steps harder.)
Dramatic Skill Resolution: BCD

Explanation: Your side has lost initiative, but I need to find out what Matthias is doing for the second half of last round before I can have any affect on him. However, for Jack and Eltee, you see light glint off some shadows at the far end, and to each side, of the hold, beyond the Infernal Machine. If you're going to try and do anything OTHER THAN try to shut down and reverse the Machine, please let me know?

DSR is steps B, C, and D this turn. If you wish, you may attempt an ORMA (One Roll, Many Actions); for B this would be a difficulty of 13, C would be bumped up to 13, and D would be bumped up to 17. To complete all three successfully, Eltee, you have to generate a total of 17 or better; otherwise, if you generate a total of 13, you can finish both B and C this round. Jack can use his Air Vehicles skill to attempt to help you, but his coordination difficulty is going to be 13, as well, and will only gain you a +1 for your overall total.

There is always playing for the Critical Moment -you would have to have your cards in order in your Hand, which means research on your part, since you have NONE in your pool- and then, if you play for the Critical Moment, you can put forward all relevant cards for use, which are then discarded. Jack, since you're in close proximity, if you have any cards in your Pool that might be able to enhance this roll, you can use one of those, as well. If you had a Leadership card, you could play two.

Eltee and Jack, since you don't have any danger on you, right now, you can go ahead and make your roll(s).

Jack_Jones wrote:Making his way back to the broken and beaten console Jack exmained it to see if he could phathom a combination which would stop the vortex

2d10.extra(10) → [3,[10, 10]] = (23)

Not sure what skill to use here ? But here is a good dice roll none the less..lol
GameMaster Note Looking at your character record sheet, I see Air Vehicles skill, there, which I’ve said earlier in the game that you could use to help give Eltee a bonus to his Weird Science or Science skill. Your bonus is +8 to an Air Vehicles of 12, for a total of 20, which would be worth a +1 to Eltee’s generated total.

Matthias wrote:
Out-Of-Character ∴ All that I was going to have Matthias do was get up, ensure that the Sun Blade was activated, and then square off with the Skeleton that was under him. I figured that there would not be enough time to do anything other than that, since I had him talking as well.
GameMaster Note Okay, I’m still going down the list to see if you gave me a roll to work with, or not, so if you finish this post and there’s nothing about it, I still need a roll from you for your second action this turn.

Eltee wrote:Rolled on: Dec. 18, 2013, 3:24 p.m.
2d10.extra(10) → [[10, 1],7] = (18) bonus of +5

I will continue to attempt to re figure out the machine. Is what I had already figured destroyed or can I keep building off of that knowledge.
GameMaster Note Alright, your Weird Science base of 10 +5 for your bonus # +1 for Jack helping you out, gives you a total of 16.

You could easily finish off both B and C steps of the DSR for this turn.

Jack and Eltee searched over the hundreds of dials, switches, rheostats, oscillo-monitors, hand cranks, and large pull-handles, all having been amazingly intact despite being nearly three-hundred feet beneath the waves all this time, and many remaining intact, despite the explosion of the Octi-Grenade moments ago. Those that were affected by the under-sea explosion spark and attempt to continue their powered reason for being, while others have simply stopped working altogether, seemingly turning gray and failing to share, anymore, the increasing bright glow of the Machine.

Working hard to find the right sequence to at least turn off the machine, if not able to reverse it, you two managed to turn off the raging vortex moments ago, before the explosion, the sand and debris that had been surrounding the vortex, and ascending through the cargo hold doors to the surface, and beyond into the clouds, above, settling back to sea floor beneath.

This surprised the skeletons, above, some small look of what could be considered fear crossing their otherwise skeletal features, rapidly turning to anger when they looked back at you, Matthias, their ardor stronger than it had been a mere moment earlier.

With the lull in the fighting brought about readily by the use of the Octi-Grenade, thanks to Jack, you and Eltee were able to return to the machine to search over the dials, again, Eltee using all of the Weird Science principles he’s gleaned from his travels as a Rocket Ranger over the years, to move skillfully among the controls to reverse the controls of the machine, setting it readily to disperse the Possibilities it has collected over the decades and, perhaps, the centuries.

Unfortunately, there must be one more step because, indeed, the Infernal Machine has begun to grow even more brightly, and sinks several more inches all at once, forcing you and Jack to your knees in the hold of the pirate ship if you wish to continue working to finish what you have started…

GameMaster Note Matthias, you may attempt to attack the skeletons in front of you, now, advancing to meet them, or you may attempt to force them to maneuver so you have no skeleton at your back, if you wish. All I need is a good total, and the skill you wish to use to accomplish this, and I’ll figure out the rest. Trick is the only skill you have a number on that might work, but you would have to have an amazingly high total for that.