Before The Dawn ~ Act One (Hot Time/Old Town/Tonight)

Sir Alain Fisk
Founding Member
Founding Member

Before The Dawn ~ Act One (Hot Time/Old Town/Tonight)

Unread post by Sir Alain Fisk » 23 Jun 2013, 14:49

GameMaster Note Before the Dawn is the very first adventure for the Torg: Role-Playing the Possibility Wars game. Though the game was first published in 1990, and carried through to 1995, when Wars' End was published -which we will not be using-, and because all of the books are readily available in many places, and though I will likely be making many changes as the game progresses, I would ask that you, as the player, not read any of these excellent adventures; this is not to spoil what I may or may not do in the game, but so your game experience will not be ruined. Likewise, the Infiniverse should be off-limits, as well; I do not know what order I will run the official, fan-made, and Infiniverse adventure shards in, so it is important for Inifiniverse to be off-limits, please?

If you have read the game background, have some idea of what our world is like during the very difficult time outlined in the various posts I have made, and you have no questions, please feel free to read the opening portion of the story? All of our tales will begin and/or end with some manner of story, and they are meant to set the mood.
Lieutenant Adams wiped the sweat from his brow as he swept the forward area with his binoculars. The perpetual storm surrounding Philadelphia obscured much of his view, but, from what he could see, the Edeinos were once more in retreat.

"All right. Call this another win for the good guys," he said to Corporal Morrison, his radioman. "The enemy is pulling back."

He squinted up at the sun, cursing its immobility. By his watch, it was 2:00 am; the sun had been in that same position for 20 hours. Already, the temperature had risen nearly six degrees from yesterday's record high.

The casualty reports began to come in. Adams listened with growing dismay. Two men of his depleted company killed, three missing, and twelve wounded. Half of the injured were cases of exhaustion and heat prostration. Hell, they had lost more men to the weather than to enemy action!

If the temperature continued to climb, he didn't think his company would survive the week.

Some important things have happened to Earth over the past three months. It all started with the appearance of the alien "bridges" and the sweeping storms that followed, changing reality. Some people say that in some places the laws of nature have become very strange indeed. Millions of people have turned into inhuman, or altered human beings, while others have turned into monstrous shapes, or simply died altogether. Technology has broken down in some places; in others it has become frighteningly advanced.

Death and destruction accompanied the storms of change, as did the terrible invaders, who attacked our planet with blinding speed and ferocity, killed hundreds of thousands, enslaved countless others. And now, as the third month of the invasion comes to a close, the planet Earth has stopped spinning and even more deaths are imminent from heat and cold.
Date/Time: 29 June 2013, 2 Months 23 Days into the Invasion
......4 Days into the Still World
Place: United States, Southern Tennessee, near the Georgia border
The Situation: The world has surely gone to hell recently. The USA has been invaded by dinosaurs and lizard-men; the United Kingdom and Scandinavia have been overrun by knights in armor, Vikings and sorcerers; France has been transformed into a dark-ages theocracy; the Middle East has been taken over by a raygun-weilding lunatic who wishes to recreate the glories of Ancient Egypt. It's been a bad couple of months.

And now the Earth has stopped moving. The sun has been in the same place for over 20 hours — somewhere over the ocean near South America — and the temperature over North America has risen almost six degrees above the record high for this day. You shudder to think what it must be like in South America now — and what it will be like here in a week.

But there's nothing you can do about that, so you are doing the best you can, running supplies into the boundaries of the so-called "Living Land" - a place that used to be called Tennessee. Despite the invasion of the dinosaurs and the Edeinos, despite the destruction of the cities, despite the collapse of technology, people still live there, refusing to leave their beloved homes.

They may be foolish — even crazy — but you cannot simply let them starve or die for lack of food or proper medicine. So, every day for the last couple of weeks, you have been running a truckload of supplies into Tennessee from still-normal Georgia, at the same time attempting to convince the people to leave.

The areas within the Eastern Land you've been traveling have been those of dense jungle, where many of the normal roads you would have used in the past have been wiped out, and the deciduous trees you would have recognized, ash and burch, before the war no longer exist. The ground is overrun by undergrowth and ground cover, and you may have had a couple of harrowing experiences with some of it grabbing you, or at least slowing your stride. So, you've learned, or been told, to stick to the roads, to the areas that are not covered. You have seen, coming from the mist, what you would think are flying starfish, who disappeared into the mist, after coming none too close to any of you, as quickly as they emerged. And, of course, there's the mist; the ground and the air smell musty all the time, as if decay has taken this place over, but there are light breezes that cross your nose sometimes that smell like after-rain, temporarily sweeping away the decay. Though there is light, and rarely is it bright, you have never seen the sun through the mist when traveling, here. As in a rain forest during the monsoon, you cannot tell when it's raining or when it's just humid, as the forest-cum-jungle drops the condensate from high above on its thick leaves after the rains.

After a few terrifying experiences in the first trips, you've gotten the hang of it by now — more or less — and this trip has so far been uneventful. You are heading down a dirt road back toward Georgia. The road has degraded significantly, and, hitting a sharp rock, your front left tire blows out.
GameMaster Note Who's driving? First to speak gets the job! Generate a Total for me, please, using your Land Vehicles skill, or your Strength attribute, please? I know that Land Vehicles' typical governing attribute is Perception, but since Strength fits better in this case, please GaT with Strength rather than Perception?
GameMaster Note ∴ Game Start What I expressed in a previous post about our game not beginning until June 29th stands; the above has been given to you by way of getting your mind prepared for the coming story. If you wish to produce a journal entry, or some role-playing with the locals of Atlanta, in the game thread prior to the actual game beginning, I assure you it will be read. This game is meant to be a more light-hearted game, if possible, designed to spur on play in both this game and in Warhammer, but you may write to your heart's content, as light or heavy as you like. Brief is better, but do not allow your ability to write to be stymied in any fashion.

(NOTE: Please log into your Torg character before posting for the first time? Thank you.)
Last edited by Sir Alain Fisk on 30 Jun 2013, 23:30, edited 6 times in total.
NOTE: Use the following for your rolls on invisiblecastle.com/roller; Number of Rolls: 1, Dice: 2d10.extra(10), then copy the line of text inside the box on the results page, not any of the links. Next, find your bonus number from the Bonus Number chart on your character sheet, then add that bonus to the appropriate skill or attribute value -do NOT add the dice roll itself-, along with any other modifiers from abilities or technology to generate your total.
Jack_Jones
Seeker
Seeker

Re: Before The Dawn

Unread post by Jack_Jones » 27 Jun 2013, 11:38

I'll take the blame for hitting that rock.

Str 10, No land vehicle skill.

Has the vehicle stopped?
Character Sheet

Jack's Pool Cards

Jack's Card Hand (These are not available, except under special circumstance, until they are moved into your Pool)
Idea/Clue
Opponent Fails
Second Chance
Drama
Sir Alain Fisk
Founding Member
Founding Member

Unread post by Sir Alain Fisk » 27 Jun 2013, 12:17

GameMaster Note Yes, you manage to bring the Deuce-and-a-Half to a safe stop, though not before you run afoul of a small river and some trees. Having driven this vehicle a few times, before, you know that she'll get free of anything, after you've replaced the wheel...
Deuce Stuck.jpg
Deuce 79.jpg
Alright, not trying to be a dick, but so often succeeding well, we will have to wait for the rest of our players until this weekend. I want to give Lee and Jason the best opportunities to get in and I have, of course, also invited Brandon and Mark to play. No hold-ups, here, but invitations have gone out.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
NOTE: Use the following for your rolls on invisiblecastle.com/roller; Number of Rolls: 1, Dice: 2d10.extra(10), then copy the line of text inside the box on the results page, not any of the links. Next, find your bonus number from the Bonus Number chart on your character sheet, then add that bonus to the appropriate skill or attribute value -do NOT add the dice roll itself-, along with any other modifiers from abilities or technology to generate your total.
Jack_Jones
Seeker
Seeker

Unread post by Jack_Jones » 27 Jun 2013, 15:34

The Deuce came to a sudden stop. Jack exhaled a deep breath. "Poxy road, poxy rocks, poxy bloody truck" he muttered under his breath.

"Everyone ok ?" He asked looking round at the other passengers. Pulling the door handle Jack started to climb out of the drving seat on to the bank of the river.

Kicking the flat tyre Jack poked his head back through the open drivers side door window. This might need an extra pair of hands.

Ooc -Paul sorry about the timing but Sarah is due to go into hospital to have the baby Saturday, so I might not be around tjis weekend.
Character Sheet

Jack's Pool Cards

Jack's Card Hand (These are not available, except under special circumstance, until they are moved into your Pool)
Idea/Clue
Opponent Fails
Second Chance
Drama
Sir Alain Fisk
Founding Member
Founding Member

Unread post by Sir Alain Fisk » 27 Jun 2013, 16:29

Jack_Jones wrote:Ooc -Paul sorry about the timing but Sarah is due to go into hospital to have the baby Saturday, so I might not be around tjis weekend.
Out-of-Character Oh my, I didn't realize she was this close; to be honest, my friend, I had forgotten. My apologies. Good luck to all three of you. I do not envy you or Sarah the coming storm, hehe. I know you've already got Olivia... oh, my, she must be excited, as well. I'm excited, and I'm not even there, hehe. I was there when each of the boys were born, and I know how exciting it can be. Anyway, your hands are going to be full, yes?

Okay, I'm getting questions about going ahead and allowing people to post... that's fine, please do? However, I will likely not move this forward before Saturday, anyway. Sorry, guys.
Alexander Pepper
Novice
Novice

Unread post by Alexander Pepper » 28 Jun 2013, 19:54

Jack_Jones wrote:The Deuce came to a sudden stop. Jack exhaled a deep breath. "Poxy road, poxy rocks, poxy bloody truck" he muttered under his breath.

"Everyone ok ?" He asked looking round at the other passengers.
Alex let's out a brief grunt of acknowledgement as he stands and exits the vehicle. "Damned machines," Alex says under his breath, "always breaking down." Alex pulls out his journal and, leaning against the Deuce, begins to write.
Entry_1-3 wrote:Another setback. The "Deuce" broke down in the middle of this godforsaken jungle in the eastern "Living Lands" as the locals call it. These constant setbacks seem to be happening more frequently than they should. Maybe 'his' influence has reached further than the Orrorsh in his attempt to hinder my investigation. I'm probably just letting my paranoia get the better of me, but if past experience is any indicator, I might just be right. I only hope I'm not. Still, I have to focus on finding Edward Cuttleway. My sources said he could give me information that could be helpful in fighting 'him'. But all of this is beside the point if we can't get this rig moving again.
Alex puts the pen and pad away. Turning to Jack, he asks in a gruff voice, "Is there any way that I could help?"
Card Pool

Card Hand (These cannot be used except in certain circumstances, until they're moved into your Pool)
Drama
Supporter
Willpower
Alertness
Dr Random
Novice
Novice

Unread post by Dr Random » 28 Jun 2013, 23:45

I walk to where I "Saw" the car break down and (most likely) where the noise came from (ooc: Also Im not with the vehicle people ) in my Car Engineer uniform and say, "Hi It looks like your in quite the pickle, Maybe I can help you need a different tire right?"
Card Pool
Jack_Jones
Seeker
Seeker

Unread post by Jack_Jones » 29 Jun 2013, 04:13

Hearing a voice from outside the truck Jack span on his heels. He span so quickly that it if it hadnt been for grabbing a nearby protruding branch, he would have lost his balance completely and ended up in the river.

Finally coming face to face with the stranger Jack found his voice.

"Steady fella....where did you come from? And what are you doing out here?".

Jack looked the man up and down whilst he responded and saw he had some sort of mechanics overalls on. Jack thought it a bit strange that a mechanic would be out in the middle of nowhere. Was this some sort of trap........
Character Sheet

Jack's Pool Cards

Idea/Clue
Opponent Fails
Second Chance
Drama
Sir Alain Fisk
Founding Member
Founding Member

Unread post by Sir Alain Fisk » 29 Jun 2013, 09:35

GameMaster Note Once you have yourself steadied and let go of the branch, you notice your hand seems to go numb. It doesn't last long, but feels like a stranger, hehe.

Gavin E., that was an excellent opening journal entry. You're still making it when you hear Mr. Jones asking the question.
Matthias
Novice
Novice

Unread post by Matthias » 29 Jun 2013, 21:13

Looking back down the road that he had been travelling on for the past four days, Matthias lifted his hand up to his scalp and felt the J-Link just behind his right ear. Knowing that he would eventually become used to this new implant, Matthias still marvelled at the sudden boom in technology in his homeland of Gingins, Switzerland.

Lost in thought, Matthias missed seeing the tree root that was stretched across the road in front of him and stumbled to his knees before he realized just what was happening.

'What am I doing here in Atlanta, Georgia? Soooooo far from home... I miss the smells from the streets of Nyon! Oh the beauties that would try and get one to buy those sweet rolls...'

A deep sigh escapes his lips as he looks down the road again hearing the muffled sounds of speech. Getting up cautiously, Matthias makes his way over towards the sounds.
Jack_Jones wrote: "Steady fella....where did you come from? And what are you doing out here?"
Moving to where he was still hidden from view, Matthias looks cautiously over the scene before him as one man steadies himself from some form of fall, were there tree roots here too that cause one to loose their balance, and another man who seems to be offering help.
Out-of-Character Paul, I am not sure if I need to do any rolls here at the beginning or not, however Matthias is trying to remain out of sight and undetectable as long as possible. But just in case one is needed for Stealth:

Code: Select all

Torg Die

1d20 =15
Out-of-Character My speech colors are: #9c2c8d for speech to others and #2C9C78 when talking in my own head!
My Character Sheet

╔═══ My Current Card Pool ═══╗

╚═══════════════════

╔═══ My Current Card Hand ═══╗
Idea/Clue
Nemesis
Campaign
Hero
╚═══════════════════
Sir Alain Fisk
Founding Member
Founding Member

Unread post by Sir Alain Fisk » 29 Jun 2013, 23:46

GameMaster Note Okay, guys, hehe... you're ALL going to have to really get into the habit of reading everything, k? I will try to keep everything as short as possible, but you HAVE to read a setup to a scene before you can play it. If I give you clues, such as really deep mist, really dangerous creatures, you've been told to stick to the roads, these are hints. Please take them?

Now, please read this whole post, as it will help you get used to the game and system?
Matthias wrote:
Out-of-Character Paul, I am not sure if I need to do any rolls here at the beginning or not, however Matthias is trying to remain out of sight and undetectable as long as possible. But just in case one is needed for Stealth:

Code: Select all

Torg Die

1d20 =15
Out-of-Character No problem! This is a good time to sort of walk through how rolls work in the game. You rolled the D20, but I noticed the total was not generated; as well, we are using 2d10 rather than 1d20, as expressed in my signature block. http://www.wolvesau.net/torg/rules.htm#gat tells you how to GaT, or Generate a Total.

For example, for your Stealth roll of 15, you would compare the roll to the bonus number chart toward the mid-lower-right of your character sheet. This would give you a bonus number of +2, which you would then add to Matthias' Stealth value of 13. This is NOT a great example, because your total ends up being 15, where it would, obviously, be different for another skill value. For example, if your Stealth was only a 10, the total would not have wound up being a 15, but 12 instead.

In this particular instance, Matthias total is actually very good. Despite what I told you in PM a few minutes ago, Jason, you actually do not see the Deuce in the distance, though you hear the voices... I'll explain in a moment. You do hear what you said you heard, but you see nothing more than the most vague shapes more than ten feet in front of your face.
The description of the Living Land, the environment and the dangers, which I wrote -there was NONE AT ALL in the original game description for starting off Before the Dawn-, was apparently not comprehensive enough, so I'll put it into statistics and, hopefully, that will help everyone...
  • People walk into the boundaries of the Living Land alone and never emerge. There is safety in numbers;
  • The temperature in the boundaries are, normally, anywhere between 85 and 105 Fahrenheit... constantly, day and night, rain or shine. With the Still World in place, it's even hotter. Oh, and it rains a lot... think rain forest and you've got it;
  • When Storm Knights and the authorities tell you to stick to the roads, they mean it, as every type of meat-eating blood-sucking nasty horrible monster possible from your nightmares has been seen, and many catalogued. The largest population of sentient denizens are the worst of them, the Edeinos;
  • The Deep Mist is not your friend, as you can typically only see accurate shapes up to about ten feet away from you, and beyond that, if it's not a sharp corner or a really big and well-defined building, hut, or tree-trunk, it disappears. The Mist does, however, also amplify sounds which, in many cases, can be really bad, since it also has a habit of redirecting sounds. Anything that is seeking to eat you has a 200% advantage over you, as they have lived in this constant Deep Mist for decades and/or centuries;
  • The jungle is extraordinarily thick, nigh impassible, tangled with living vines and carnivorous bugs.
  • In short, the Living Land sucks, and is a really bad place to be, the worst except for the Moors of Orrorsh... but, that's another story, muwahahahaha!
When constructing the adventure the writers of it felt that any character group would just start off together, and so had I. It's unfortunate that Matthias and Random were eaten before they could join the party, hehe.

Alright, alright, you guys weren't eaten, but you've had some difficulty today already...

Jason and Kieran, Dr. Random and Matthias were part of another group of Storm Knights who were delivering supplies into Tennessee when they were ambushed. There was nothing you could do to help them, so you split. Any offensive cyberware capability Matthias had simply stopped working, and it frightened him; so, while your compatriots were being killed and chewed, you lit out to find your way out of the Eastern Living Land.

Finding your way around was not easy, but once you located what could be called a road, despite the numerous vines crossing it often, and the general ruttiness and decay of anything you might have once recognized as asphalt, or in Tennessee it would be concrete, you began following it. You're uncertain which direction you're actually going, but you seem to both have found someplace good to be.

Matthias recognizes the English language being spoken, and understands quite a bit of it himself, if not all of it.
Last edited by Sir Alain Fisk on 30 Jun 2013, 00:17, edited 1 time in total.
Sir Alain Fisk
Founding Member
Founding Member

Unread post by Sir Alain Fisk » 29 Jun 2013, 23:49

GameMaster Note ∴ Rolling for Your Starting Drama Cards Oh, yeah, and everyone please give me four separate percentage rolls? This is so we can get you the initial set of Drama Cards you'll need for beginning play.

Thank you.
Alexander Pepper
Novice
Novice

Unread post by Alexander Pepper » 30 Jun 2013, 01:16

Sir Alain Fisk wrote:
GameMaster Note In short, the Living Land sucks, and is a really bad place to be, the worst except for the Moors of Orrorsh... but, that's another story, muwahahahaha!
Out-of-Character I see that your evil GM boots are fitting you nicely......

Here are the Percentage rolls for my cards:

1d100=1, 1d100=59, 1d100=90, 1d100=58
Startled by the voice, Alex quickly drops the book (causing a long pencil streak on the remains of the line he was righting on) and whips out his pistol, keeping it aimed at the ground, but ready to raise and shoot at a moments notice. He waits, focusing on the repair man that has materialized before them, seemingly out of nowhere, all the while his previous paranoia growing.

He takes a quick glance down at his notebook, his already deep frown etching further into his face.
Jack_Jones wrote:"Steady fella....where did you come from? And what are you doing out here?".
Alex begins looking around, searching for the slightest unnatural movement, or any sounds nearby not made by beasts.
Out-of-Character I'd like to make a perception check. If I get this wrong tell me and I'll try again (same roll of course)

Perception: 12
Roll: 1d10=3, 1d10=5
Bonus: -2
Total: 10
Card Pool

Card Hand (These cannot be used except in certain circumstances, until they're moved into your Pool)
Drama
Supporter
Willpower
Alertness
Sir Alain Fisk
Founding Member
Founding Member

Unread post by Sir Alain Fisk » 30 Jun 2013, 09:24

Alexander Pepper wrote:
Out-of-Character I see that your evil GM boots are fitting you nicely......

Here are the Percentage rolls for my cards:

1d100=1, 1d100=59, 1d100=90, 1d100=58
GameMaster Note {HUGE GRIN}!!! I will send you the codes for the cards you rolled in PM, along with general instructions in a few minutes.
Startled by the voice, Alex quickly drops the book (causing a long pencil streak on the remains of the line he was righting on)... He takes a quick glance down at his notebook, his already deep frown etching further into his face.
GameMaster Note Yes, especially since the book is already starting to soak into the ground and a small vine has crossed one corner of the book.
Out-of-Character I'd like to make a perception check. If I get this wrong tell me and I'll try again (same roll of course)

GameMaster Note You did that absolutely 100% correctly. Now, I know that this seems to be a process, but there are excellent game-mechanical reasons why this works the way it does. Besides, this is not just so you can make a total for any action value, but this same roll and bonus number are applied to any effect value in the same round, as well. The idea, though it's not always this way, is that you make a single dice roll to determine how well you did in your action, and how well you did affects the outcome of that action, as well.
Alexander Pepper
Novice
Novice

Unread post by Alexander Pepper » 30 Jun 2013, 12:20

Sir Alain Fisk wrote:
Alexander Pepper wrote:

GameMaster Note You did that absolutely 100% correctly. Now, I know that this seems to be a process, but there are excellent game-mechanical reasons why this works the way it does. Besides, this is not just so you can make a total for any action value, but this same roll and bonus number are applied to any effect value in the same round, as well. The idea, though it's not always this way, is that you make a single dice roll to determine how well you did in your action, and how well you did affects the outcome of that action, as well.
Out-of-Character Ok it's great that I did that correctly, but did I succeed? I'm looking for any unnatural movement in the trees and shrubs, and any sound that isn't coming from us (as in snapping twigs, grunts, rustling leaves, etc.). I'm basically looking to see if anyone else is with this repairman as part of a trap
Card Pool

Drama
Supporter
Willpower
Alertness