The Veil Between... Peace and War

User avatar
Tithenon
LoreMaster
LoreMaster
Posts: 1821
Joined: 05 Aug 2004, 17:55
Location: Loren Forest, in the Grey Mountains
Contact:

Unread post by Tithenon » 24 Jul 2007, 19:01

DeGrassi began to laugh so hard right then one could be absolutely certain the dead would rise and come to have a drink themselves; he laughed hard enough that the barmaid closed the door in his face once Claudia was inside. It didn't help much.

After a few moments, the large Tilean pushed the door open again and, still guffawing to himself as much as possible, so as not to disturb the other patrons, came to sit next to Claudia. If she'd already ordered a drink, ale, wine or some other spirit, DeGrassi ordered his favorite mead and commenced to work it like a thirsty man discovering a new river in the forest. Once his beer was finished he wiped his mustache and ran his palm over his slight beard and stood to go.

"My Lady," he explained with as serious a face as a Tilean can muster, "I must be going, for the wife surely has dinner ready, my house clean and in order, and awaits my arrival with the eager anticipation of a mountain lion finding a mouse to be its next meal.

"Please, remember what I've said concerning the discussion tomorrow? I would recommend you put together a list of desired items, in the most legible Bretonnian possible, in an orderly and succinct manner that I may present to the Count at the reception on the morrow.

"Until then, please go with the grace of Ranald and the luck he provides daily?" With that, DeGrassi moves from the tavern door and your sight.
GameMaster coming through, look out!
• Dice Rollers: Wizards of the CoastInvisible Castle; use either of these to make, copy and paste dice rolls into your posts.
What is a PbF Game, and How Do I Post in it?
Our House Rules
2nd Ed Magic Rules
How Do I Read My Character Record (Character Development, Your Stuff..., and Game Mechanics)
Character Concepts and Ideas
User avatar
ArBes-Onna
Scout (Second Career)
Scout (Second Career)
Posts: 533
Joined: 08 Mar 2006, 18:49
Location: Quenelles

Unread post by ArBes-Onna » 24 Jul 2007, 22:14

Smarty wrote:"Aye, I thin' I'll go wit' ye. Someone 'as ta keep an eye on ye or ye'll end up passed out under a table somewhere's to be sure."
Laughing, I turn to the stout dwarf...

"As always my friend, your company is most welcome, and rest assured I shall make every effort to behave myself..."

Then winking toward Caledor, I turn to leave when I pause for Athaeis' comment...
Athaeis wrote:"Food would be very welcome, and perhaps a few drinks. Do you believe two Elves and a Dwarf will be able to remain away from trouble?

Perhaps there is a place we may find safer to congregate?" Turning to Onna, Athaeis addresses him specifically and quietly,
With a nod and a smile I also accept the company of the elven huntress, when I see a serious look come into her eyes. I lean a little closer so the others, who have already began moving into the coaches, may not hear her words...
Athaeis wrote:"After our time at the Mere, I have felt an incessant conflict within myself that did not exist before. Perhaps you will keep me in line should this internal conflict become more pronounced?"
Nodding my understanding, I answer in a hushed tone...

"I shall keep my wits about us M'Lady, and I shall do what needs to be done. On this you have my word"

Then, I step into the waiting coach for the trip back...
Image
I'narr en gothrim glinuva nuin I'anor
(The bones of our foes will gleam in the sun)
_____________________________________
Onna's Warhammer Character Sheet :lol: Onna's Journal
User avatar
Athaeis
Scout (Second Career)
Scout (Second Career)
Posts: 393
Joined: 05 Aug 2004, 19:21
Location: The Olde World
Contact:

Unread post by Athaeis » 24 Jul 2007, 22:24

Athaeis only nods and, finding his back to her, follows Onna into the waiting carriage.

"Smarty, we haven't spoken in a couple weeks, and it is good to see you again. I know you're not one for idle chat, but what has been keeping you?" The look on Athaeis' face when she asks seems to be one more of amusement than true interest, though looking at her Smarty might guess there is something of conflict in her stare, as well.
Image
"Be careful what you wish for."

If you want something done right, make sure you send an Elf. Otherwise, expect it to go wrong, especially where Dwarves are involved.
______________________________

Athaeis' Warhammer Character Sheet :lol: Athaeis' Journal :lol: Wind of Freedom


Image
User avatar
Caledor
Journeyman Wizard (Second Career)
Journeyman Wizard (Second Career)
Posts: 443
Joined: 14 Dec 2005, 12:09
Location: Quenelles

Unread post by Caledor » 24 Jul 2007, 22:25

Moritz wrote:"I too thank you for the offer Onna but like Caledor I think I will study tonight. I have not had much time for such pursuits for some time and really must get back to it.

Caledor, should you have the time and be amenable I'd also like your advice on a few minor things..."

(OOC: In addition to studying the scrolls Caledor has provided for Moritz, Moritz would also like to and attempt to learn any Petty Magic spells that Caledor knows that Moritz does not; being Glowing Light, Marsh Lights and Sounds. Likewise Moritz can teach Caledor Magic Dart although I'm not sure if Caledor could be bothered as Radiant Gaze does twice the damage for only one higher casting number.)
Turning from Onna, I listen to Moritz' request with a warm smile...

"It would be a pleasure to share a few hours with a fellow academic. Not that I am tired of the company of the rest you see, but it is not often I can share in the secrets of the mind with someone with similar interests to my own. I would be most honored..."

Then, with a slight bow of my head I board the coach to head back to the Dart...

(OOC: Actually, Magic Dart does sound handy, and if we can do it, I am willing to teach any of the three. It would depend I guess on what we can do with the new rules from RoS. I am not too sure how that would work though, as I am not quite up to snuff on the whole magic thing yet. What do you think Paul? Also, for my part, I would like to study and learn if my time is up, "Dispel", which I have been carrying with me for some time now, at least since the ice cave if memory serves, and I still owe you a list of spell components.)
Image
The truth is stranger than fiction...
______________________________
Caledor's Warhammer Character Sheet :lol: Caledor's Journal
User avatar
Claudia
Master Thief (Third Career)
Master Thief (Third Career)
Posts: 530
Joined: 05 Aug 2004, 21:47
Location: London, UK

Unread post by Claudia » 25 Jul 2007, 13:12

Claudia had already ordered her red wine and was wating for DeGrassi. After he ordered his drink Claudia gave the serving maid the coinage for the beverages and sat back.

"At last some time to relax and be free from thought".
Once his beer was finished he wiped his mustache and ran his palm over his slight beard and stood to go.

"My Lady," he explained with as serious a face as a Tilean can muster, "I must be going, for the wife surely has dinner ready, my house clean and in order, and awaits my arrival with the eager anticipation of a mountain lion finding a mouse to be its next meal.

"Please, remember what I've said concerning the discussion tomorrow? I would recommend you put together a list of desired items, in the most legible Bretonnian possible, in an orderly and succinct manner that I may present to the Count at the reception on the morrow.

"Until then, please go with the grace of Ranald and the luck he provides daily?" With that, DeGrassi moves from the tavern door and your sight.
"Goodnight DeGrassi, I'll have that list for you tomorrow. I will speak to you before all the action starts to make sure we know what we're all doing and saying".

Claudia waved as DeGrassi left. Soon after DeGrassi had left, Claudia finished off her own drink. She then decided to get back to the others and pull this list together. Getting up and heading for the door Claudia got her bearings and planned the trek back. Stepping outside Claudia pulled her clothing tighter around her shoulders.

“You’re not an easy lady to track down…..Madam Helsberg” Came a rough and broken voice from the shadows. Claudia did not recognise the voice and was startled by the fact that this person knew exactly who she was.

“Show yourself” Claudia demanded.

Slowly and gradually a darkly dressed figure with a wide rimmed hat step out onto the street. His hat cast a black shadow across the whole of his face, making it impossible to see his facial features. Despite not being able to see into his eyes, Claudia could feel them staring at her. They were keenly fixed on her and were watching her every move. He was currently still and composed, but a sudden move of aggression on Claudia’s part would turn that calmness to confrontation.

“What do you want?” Claudia asked.

“My employer has asked me to collect an item you have in your possession. I believe your late friend Vincent gave it to you. Unfortunately, he managed to get away from me before I had a chance to obtain it, but not before I gave him a beating that nearly ended his life. He since has handed this to you and has also made me trek half way across the country”.

“So you killed Vincent……….. Well I’m sorry, but you’ve had a wasted journey I no longer have the item. I sold it” Claudia replied restraining herself from the rage of being confronted by Vincent’s killer.

“That’s too bad……..” The strangers rough voice creepily remarked. “Who was that man you was drinking with. He seem a nice person, not the sort of person you would want to become involved in an ugly affair like this. I’ll do you a deal, get the item and had it over. Or I’ll kill you and your drinking partner and take it. My payment is the same regardless. I would much rather collect the item and leave, it’s so much more straight forward. I’ll even give you some time to think about it. I’ll catch up with you soon”.

“You low life……..”Claudia stopped in mid flow as the shadowed figure disappeared from view.

Turning on her heels Claudia made a sharp exit back to the others.
"We’re not so different you and I. OK, so I'm young, good looking and intelligent, but apart from that we're virtually the same."
______________________________
Claudia's Warhammer Character Sheet :lol: Claudia's Journal
User avatar
Tithenon
LoreMaster
LoreMaster
Posts: 1821
Joined: 05 Aug 2004, 17:55
Location: Loren Forest, in the Grey Mountains
Contact:

Unread post by Tithenon » 25 Jul 2007, 18:49

Caledor wrote:(OOC: Actually, Magic Dart does sound handy, and if we can do it, I am willing to teach any of the three. It would depend I guess on what we can do with the new rules from RoS. I am not too sure how that would work though, as I am not quite up to snuff on the whole magic thing yet. What do you think Paul?
(OOC: In truth, RoS doesn't address learning from another mage, although I believe it's second edition that says a mage must learn from a scroll or book of some kind. I don't agree with this, so I would say as long as you have access to the spell and the spell can be taught, learning it within a couple weeks should be relatively easy. Both the teacher and the student would make tests versus their Intelligence -teacher first to see if s/he was able to teach all involved in the spell, remembered everything, and then the student to see if they absorbed everything. Finally, the student would have to spend the correct amount of XP, which is half normal because the student is considered to be gaining experience as they're learning from such personal teaching, required to learn the spell. Does that seem too harsh, or about right?)
Also, for my part, I would like to study and learn if my time is up, "Dispel", which I have been carrying with me for some time now, at least since the ice cave if memory serves
(OOC: Yes, time is up to be able to learn it, but you need to roll your Magic characteristic above a target of 26. You may use Channeling but not Reagents.)
, and I still owe you a list of spell components.)
(OOC: Yes, yes you do, hehe... however, to be honest, I'm not willing to take care of that right now because...

A) We need to move the story forward, and...
B) Many shops you would need are closed about now

...meaning it might be best just to wait until the afternoon after the reception or the next day before we're preparing to leave Quenelles.)
_______________________________________________
Claudia wrote:"Goodnight DeGrassi, I'll have that list for you tomorrow. I will speak to you before all the action starts to make sure we know what we're all doing and saying".
He looks back, briefly, from the doorway and waves gently, then is gone.
“You low life……..”Claudia stopped in mid flow as the shadowed figure disappeared from view.

Turning on her heels Claudia made a sharp exit back to the others.
(OOC: Ummm, toys, :lol: . I wasn't expecting to put anything together, here, as I felt it would take more time for them to be able to... hmmm :D )
GameMaster coming through, look out!
• Dice Rollers: Wizards of the CoastInvisible Castle; use either of these to make, copy and paste dice rolls into your posts.
What is a PbF Game, and How Do I Post in it?
Our House Rules
2nd Ed Magic Rules
How Do I Read My Character Record (Character Development, Your Stuff..., and Game Mechanics)
Character Concepts and Ideas
User avatar
Claudia
Master Thief (Third Career)
Master Thief (Third Career)
Posts: 530
Joined: 05 Aug 2004, 21:47
Location: London, UK

Unread post by Claudia » 27 Jul 2007, 16:52

Claudia made her way through the streets as quickly as possible. Every time she heard a sudden sound her hand ran to the hilt of her rapier. Every corner she expected a show down every dark alley she pre-empted a surprise attack, but despite the opportunities to strike the shadowed figure did not reappear. She was only a short distance from the barracks when she rounded a corner and ran straight into a beggar. Both her and the vagrant hit the ground, still startled by the impact Claudia jumped to her feet a pulled her rapier to hand. The unfortunate beggar had barely sat up before finding the tip of a sword in his face.

“Don’t kill me ! I mean you no harm” The beggar pleaded.

Claudia felt the blood rush start to subside as she realised that there was no threat to her. Sheathing her rapier she exhaled a deep breath.

“Sorry I thought you was someone else” Claudia mumbled as she hurried past the tramp, leaving him on his back.

Finally Claudia reached the barracks. Opening the door to the building she whipped inside to safety. Glancing across the street outside, Claudia scanned the area for the stranger she had encountered earlier that night. Seeing nothing, but knowing he was out there she closed and locked the door.

Making her way to the common room where the bar was Claudia made a beeline for the barkeep.

“Brandy. Make it a large one” Claudia stated abruptly. The barkeep looked at her for a couple of seconds, he was about to say something and then shook his head. He poured her drink then put it down in front of her. “Thank you. Sorry I didn’t mean to be rude. I just had a bit of a eventful journey” Claudia added realising her short tone. The barkeep shrugged his shoulders and went to serve a soldier waiting further down the bar.

Sipping her drink Claudia composed herself.
"We’re not so different you and I. OK, so I'm young, good looking and intelligent, but apart from that we're virtually the same."
______________________________
Claudia's Warhammer Character Sheet :lol: Claudia's Journal
User avatar
Tithenon
LoreMaster
LoreMaster
Posts: 1821
Joined: 05 Aug 2004, 17:55
Location: Loren Forest, in the Grey Mountains
Contact:

Unread post by Tithenon » 27 Jul 2007, 20:21

Claudia wrote:Sipping her drink Claudia composed herself.
(OOC: Excellent story... way to build it up and play your character. :thumbs up:
_______________________________________________
Everyone, I apologize I didn't post this a couple nights ago, but I meant to ask you all if you had anything left to do before I move onto the morning of July 21st and the wedding/reception?)
GameMaster coming through, look out!
• Dice Rollers: Wizards of the CoastInvisible Castle; use either of these to make, copy and paste dice rolls into your posts.
What is a PbF Game, and How Do I Post in it?
Our House Rules
2nd Ed Magic Rules
How Do I Read My Character Record (Character Development, Your Stuff..., and Game Mechanics)
Character Concepts and Ideas
User avatar
Athaeis
Scout (Second Career)
Scout (Second Career)
Posts: 393
Joined: 05 Aug 2004, 19:21
Location: The Olde World
Contact:

Unread post by Athaeis » 27 Jul 2007, 20:23

(OOC: Except, perhaps, for any banter that may go on in the evening, any possible RP, I would be happy to remain out with Onna and Smarty until they're ready to turn in, and then would welcome a soft bed greatly.)
Image
"Be careful what you wish for."

If you want something done right, make sure you send an Elf. Otherwise, expect it to go wrong, especially where Dwarves are involved.
______________________________

Athaeis' Warhammer Character Sheet :lol: Athaeis' Journal :lol: Wind of Freedom


Image
User avatar
Claudia
Master Thief (Third Career)
Master Thief (Third Career)
Posts: 530
Joined: 05 Aug 2004, 21:47
Location: London, UK

Unread post by Claudia » 28 Jul 2007, 07:21

After finishing her drink and taking a couple of minutes to let her pulse rate return to normal, Claudia turned to face the seating area in the common room. Looking across all the tables she looked for a friendly face.

OOC - Happy to referee a bit of elven/dwavern war of words or turn in for the night.
"We’re not so different you and I. OK, so I'm young, good looking and intelligent, but apart from that we're virtually the same."
______________________________
Claudia's Warhammer Character Sheet :lol: Claudia's Journal
User avatar
Caledor
Journeyman Wizard (Second Career)
Journeyman Wizard (Second Career)
Posts: 443
Joined: 14 Dec 2005, 12:09
Location: Quenelles

Unread post by Caledor » 29 Jul 2007, 12:48

Tithenon wrote:(OOC: Yes, time is up to be able to learn it, but you need to roll your Magic characteristic above a target of 26. You may use Channeling but not Reagents.)
(OOC: Ok, here we go I hope. I will roll for learning "Dispel" first...

[dice]1d100 = 177732859 [/dice]

and now, I will roll against Intelligence to see if I can teach to Moritz...

[dice]1d100 = 834109829 [/dice]

Hopefully this will work the way we want it. I rolled the D100 for learning, under the assumption that it was a D100. If I roll my Magic Characteristic, which is 2, I would only be able to roll 2D10's, with a max of 20, and add a channeling roll the max would only be 22, so I hope I read all this stuff right!... :lol: Just let me know if I am all ate up lol!)
Image
The truth is stranger than fiction...
______________________________
Caledor's Warhammer Character Sheet :lol: Caledor's Journal
User avatar
Caledor
Journeyman Wizard (Second Career)
Journeyman Wizard (Second Career)
Posts: 443
Joined: 14 Dec 2005, 12:09
Location: Quenelles

Unread post by Caledor » 29 Jul 2007, 12:53

Upon returning to our assigned quarters, I take my time and survey the room to make sure nothing has been tampered with. Satisfied that all is as I left it, I settle down to study and await Moritz' arrival. After a short time, I roll the scroll I have been studying for some weeks now and put it away in my case, still unsure that I have committed it to memory, I shake my head and resolve myself to study again as soon as there is time.

After a few moments of quiet thought, there is a knock at my door. Rising from my seat, I move to the door and open it, allowing Moritz to enter so we may begin our studies. Motioning him to the lone chair in the room, I take a seat on my bed and we begin our studies...

(OOC: Hmmm...looking at those rolls I made, it does not look good for the home team! Looks like there won't be too much learning going on tonight!)
Image
The truth is stranger than fiction...
______________________________
Caledor's Warhammer Character Sheet :lol: Caledor's Journal
User avatar
ArBes-Onna
Scout (Second Career)
Scout (Second Career)
Posts: 533
Joined: 08 Mar 2006, 18:49
Location: Quenelles

Unread post by ArBes-Onna » 29 Jul 2007, 13:13

(OOC: Sorry for the delay folks! I had a flood in my crawl space last week so I have been dealing with the clean-up. Not a very pretty sight for sure!)

After dropping off my clothing in my quarters, I take a quick survey of my belongings to ensure nothing has been disturbed in my absence. Satisfied all is well, I leave and head down to meet Athaeis and Smarty for our excursion back into town. Walking down the street, I try to avoid any encounters, good or bad, with the locals. Knowing the general feeling toward elves here, we seek out a quiet little tavern tucked away on a small alley, hoping to find something to eat and perhaps an ale or two. Opening the door, I am greeted with the sounds and smells of the place, and I look around to see if there may be any others, which to my relief there are only a few patrons scattered throughout the small room. Motioning for the others to follow, I enter and choose a table toward the door in an unoccupied corner and settle myself down, facing the door, and await our server....
Image
I'narr en gothrim glinuva nuin I'anor
(The bones of our foes will gleam in the sun)
_____________________________________
Onna's Warhammer Character Sheet :lol: Onna's Journal
User avatar
Caledor
Journeyman Wizard (Second Career)
Journeyman Wizard (Second Career)
Posts: 443
Joined: 14 Dec 2005, 12:09
Location: Quenelles

Unread post by Caledor » 30 Jul 2007, 20:23

(OOC: Ok, Seeing how I messed up the last roll for learning "Dispel", I will submit the correct die rolls here. Paul, I leave it up to you to decide if I can use this new one, or just chalk it up to experience and try again later. I am good with either my friend!)

Channeling vs 89 (WP +20%)
[dice]1d100 = 1654172121 [/dice]

Magic Characteristic (2) vs 26
[dice]2d10e = 2030906317 [/dice]

(OOC: Well, here we go...)
Image
The truth is stranger than fiction...
______________________________
Caledor's Warhammer Character Sheet :lol: Caledor's Journal
User avatar
ArBes-Onna
Scout (Second Career)
Scout (Second Career)
Posts: 533
Joined: 08 Mar 2006, 18:49
Location: Quenelles

Unread post by ArBes-Onna » 04 Aug 2007, 08:49

(OOC: Hello??)
Image
I'narr en gothrim glinuva nuin I'anor
(The bones of our foes will gleam in the sun)
_____________________________________
Onna's Warhammer Character Sheet :lol: Onna's Journal
Locked