The Veil Between... Peace and War

User avatar
Athaeis
Scout (Second Career)
Scout (Second Career)
Posts: 393
Joined: 05 Aug 2004, 19:21
Location: The Olde World
Contact:

Unread post by Athaeis » 19 Jul 2007, 19:35

(OOC: Rather than apologizing again, I'll just remark that, as Tithenon's NPC in this game, I generally wind up going where he goes, so if he's unavailable, so am I. I wish it weren't so, he's such a dork, but that's how it is... at least for now... just wait until I get the upper hand... :lol: )

(OOC: Rather than attempt to explain what it is I'm trying to have set up for myself, I'll give you a picture instead...)

Image

(OOC: This lovely young lady is as good as any professional dress maker, and lives in Slovakia, if I understand it right. What is worn would fit perfectly with Athaeis for this sort of shindig.)
_______________________________________________
Once Athaeis has been fitted with the right materials -which the tailor will, indeed, have to supplement some other materials for the proper ones, I'm certain- she will gingerly pick up her package and await the remainder of her party, though turning at the end, she tends to find herself after everyone else. She cocks her head slightly and explains, in particular to Moritz...

"I am uncertain if this is what you meant or not, Herr Zahnbrecher, but this is what I am wearing." She smiles, though it seems to cause strain and require effort on her part to maintain it.
Image
"Be careful what you wish for."

If you want something done right, make sure you send an Elf. Otherwise, expect it to go wrong, especially where Dwarves are involved.
______________________________

Athaeis' Warhammer Character Sheet :lol: Athaeis' Journal :lol: Wind of Freedom


Image
User avatar
Tithenon
LoreMaster
LoreMaster
Posts: 1821
Joined: 05 Aug 2004, 17:55
Location: Loren Forest, in the Grey Mountains
Contact:

Unread post by Tithenon » 19 Jul 2007, 19:37

(OOC: Okay, once everyone is outfitted and waiting to load into the carriages for the return trip with all of your wares except the few things that will take until morning to complete, what does everyone wish to do with the remainder of the evening? It is yet a half-hour or so until dinner, so around 5:30, for those who would ask?)
GameMaster coming through, look out!
• Dice Rollers: Wizards of the CoastInvisible Castle; use either of these to make, copy and paste dice rolls into your posts.
What is a PbF Game, and How Do I Post in it?
Our House Rules
2nd Ed Magic Rules
How Do I Read My Character Record (Character Development, Your Stuff..., and Game Mechanics)
Character Concepts and Ideas
User avatar
Claudia
Master Thief (Third Career)
Master Thief (Third Career)
Posts: 530
Joined: 05 Aug 2004, 21:47
Location: London, UK

Unread post by Claudia » 20 Jul 2007, 11:58

Claudia left the tailors with a feeling of happiness. She was relieved that she would actually be wearing something that she liked, rather than a frilly thing with no class.

Seeing that the day was coming to an end and soon the evening would be upon her, she decided that she needed to visit DeGrassi and smooth over their relationship, especially with the coming meeting with Count Mallery.

“I need to attend to some business, so I will catch up with you all later if that’s ok”. Claudia said to the others.

Approaching the coachman driving the carriage Claudia enquired how far it was from here to DeGrassi’s. If it was close enough to walk then Claudia would make her farewells here. If it was a coach journey then she would arrange for the coachman to drop her off near the jewellers shop.
"We’re not so different you and I. OK, so I'm young, good looking and intelligent, but apart from that we're virtually the same."
______________________________
Claudia's Warhammer Character Sheet :lol: Claudia's Journal
User avatar
Tithenon
LoreMaster
LoreMaster
Posts: 1821
Joined: 05 Aug 2004, 17:55
Location: Loren Forest, in the Grey Mountains
Contact:

Unread post by Tithenon » 20 Jul 2007, 22:17

(OOC: The Coachman explains the street on which the DeGrassi's shop is happens to be on the way to the quarters and he will happily drop you off on the way.

As you approach the man's shop you see he is leaving for, perhaps, an evening on the town...)
GameMaster coming through, look out!
• Dice Rollers: Wizards of the CoastInvisible Castle; use either of these to make, copy and paste dice rolls into your posts.
What is a PbF Game, and How Do I Post in it?
Our House Rules
2nd Ed Magic Rules
How Do I Read My Character Record (Character Development, Your Stuff..., and Game Mechanics)
Character Concepts and Ideas
User avatar
Claudia
Master Thief (Third Career)
Master Thief (Third Career)
Posts: 530
Joined: 05 Aug 2004, 21:47
Location: London, UK

Unread post by Claudia » 21 Jul 2007, 03:06

Claudia stopped for a moment to gather her thoughts. She watched as DeGrassi fiddled with the lock on the door to his shop. Composing herself she made a beeline for the jeweller and quickened her step to catch up with him. When only a few yards behind him on the street Claudia spoke.

“Any chance of a young girl buying you a peace offering drink?”

Claudia expected a pretty abrasive response after there original meeting that had gone far from well. Claudia was determined to repair the damage. She wasn’t going to leave until he had accepted her apology and agreed to assist her in the Mallery trade, or until she was in prison for harassment. DeGrassi stopped in the street and slightly threw his head back. Claudia could only imagine the look on his face, but nether the less he did stop and he turned to face her. Slightly surprised that he’d stopped, Claudia began to express her sincere apology.

“I made a really big mistake earlier and I know that I’ve offended you. I would just like the opportunity to say sorry and make it up to you. I not very good at first meetings. I have a suspicious nature, and I just find it hard to believe that people I don’t know will actually help me. I’ve been mislead and tricked, so many times in the past I just expect it all the time”. Claudia fell silent.

“My mentor and guide was recently murdered, so I’m a bit lost at the moment”. Claudia took a deep breath as she slightly welled up, but very quickly she swallowed the lump in her throat and snapped out of the sad thoughts.

Breaking out in a smile trying to lighten the situation Claudia looked into DeGrassi’s eyes “At least let me accompany you for a drink and something to eat. I’ll even pay”.
"We’re not so different you and I. OK, so I'm young, good looking and intelligent, but apart from that we're virtually the same."
______________________________
Claudia's Warhammer Character Sheet :lol: Claudia's Journal
User avatar
ArBes-Onna
Scout (Second Career)
Scout (Second Career)
Posts: 533
Joined: 08 Mar 2006, 18:49
Location: Quenelles

Unread post by ArBes-Onna » 21 Jul 2007, 09:39

Nodding an acknowledgement to Courtier, I quietly await the completion of my new clothing. Once done, I thank the tailor for his kindness and speed, and gather my small bundle under my arm, and head off to board the awaiting coaches. Once outside, I look around and then up to the sky.

"Well, I belive I shall return this bundle to my quarters, then perhaps I shall head off to find a meal and maybe even a drink. It is far too early to retire for the evening, and I am still in need of a little relaxation before the ceremony in the morn. Would anyone care to join me?"
Image
I'narr en gothrim glinuva nuin I'anor
(The bones of our foes will gleam in the sun)
_____________________________________
Onna's Warhammer Character Sheet :lol: Onna's Journal
User avatar
Caledor
Journeyman Wizard (Second Career)
Journeyman Wizard (Second Career)
Posts: 443
Joined: 14 Dec 2005, 12:09
Location: Quenelles

Unread post by Caledor » 21 Jul 2007, 09:48

Gathering my things, I make sure they are tied securely and head for the coach. Outside, everyone seems to pause for a moment or two to decide what to do next. I turn as Onna says...
"Well, I belive I shall return this bundle to my quarters, then perhaps I shall head off to find a meal and maybe even a drink. It is far too early to retire for the evening, and I am still in need of a little relaxation before the ceremony in the morn. Would anyone care to join me?"
Nodding my head from side to side..."No thank you my friend. I am somewhat exhausted still from the journey, and would like to spend some time reading. I thank you for the offer however, and wish you a grand time on the town...."

(OOC: For Caledor, he will return to his quarters for a bit and study his scrolls, then perhaps head to the closest eatery for a quick meal. From there, I believe I will try to pick up a few spell components, before heading back for the night. I will let you know in my next post exactly what he is looking for...)
Image
The truth is stranger than fiction...
______________________________
Caledor's Warhammer Character Sheet :lol: Caledor's Journal
User avatar
Moritz Zahnbrecher
Novice
Novice
Posts: 146
Joined: 17 Sep 2005, 23:02
Location: Canberra, Australia

Unread post by Moritz Zahnbrecher » 21 Jul 2007, 18:47

Onna wrote:"Well, I belive I shall return this bundle to my quarters, then perhaps I shall head off to find a meal and maybe even a drink. It is far too early to retire for the evening, and I am still in need of a little relaxation before the ceremony in the morn. Would anyone care to join me?"
Caledor wrote:Nodding my head from side to side..."No thank you my friend. I am somewhat exhausted still from the journey, and would like to spend some time reading. I thank you for the offer however, and wish you a grand time on the town...."
"I too thank you for the offer Onna but like Caledor I think I will study tonight. I have not had much time for such pursuits for some time and really must get back to it.

Caledor, should you have the time and be amenable I'd also like your advice on a few minor things..."

[OOC: In addition to studying the scrolls Caledor has provided for Moritz, Moritz would also like to and attempt to learn any Petty Magic spells that Caledor knows that Moritz does not; being Glowing Light, Marsh Lights and Sounds. Likewise Moritz can teach Caledor Magic Dart although I'm not sure if Caledor could be bothered as Radiant Gaze does twice the damage for only one higher casting number.]
This wont hurt a bit, it'll hurt a lot.
___________________________________
Warhammer Character Sheet
User avatar
Smarty
Mercenary (Second Career)
Mercenary (Second Career)
Posts: 334
Joined: 05 Aug 2004, 19:32
Location: Colorado Springs, CO

Unread post by Smarty » 23 Jul 2007, 12:48

"Aye, I thin' I'll go wit' ye. Someone 'as ta keep an eye on ye or ye'll end up passed out under a table somewhere's to be sure."
"If at first it don't fit, get a bigger hammer, if it still doesn't fit get the explosives," Smarty's favorite saying
______________________________
Smarty's Warhammer Character Sheet :lol: Smarty's Journal
User avatar
Tithenon
LoreMaster
LoreMaster
Posts: 1821
Joined: 05 Aug 2004, 17:55
Location: Loren Forest, in the Grey Mountains
Contact:

Unread post by Tithenon » 23 Jul 2007, 20:54

Claudia wrote:Breaking out in a smile trying to lighten the situation Claudia looked into DeGrassi’s eyes “At least let me accompany you for a drink and something to eat. I’ll even pay”.
A slow smile crept across DeGrassi's lips and his demeanor changed as Claudia explained her plight to the man,

"I am not one without compassion, my dear, and I admire your audacity at this moment. Many of the women of Bretonnia, one of which is my wife, Maris, are docile, to say the least, not like the women of my home in Tilea." The man crooks his right arm and offers it to Claudia; if she fails to take it, he is not offended, but rather the smile grows wider on his face for a moment.

"Indeed, I wondered when you would be back.

"So, you wish to trade with the good count Mallery, do you? Tell me, what would you desire in return, for the Count is wealthy, although his coffers are far smaller in coin than one might expect? We must be quick, however, as my wife will, indeed, be expecting me home for the evening meal soon." He begins moving toward the bridge back to the Dart.
_______________________________________________
Caledor wrote:(OOC: For Caledor, he will return to his quarters for a bit and study his scrolls, then perhaps head to the closest eatery for a quick meal. From there, I believe I will try to pick up a few spell components, before heading back for the night. I will let you know in my next post exactly what he is looking for...)
(OOC: That sounds great. I look forward to it.)
_______________________________________________
Moritz wrote:[OOC: In addition to studying the scrolls Caledor has provided for Moritz, Moritz would also like to and attempt to learn any Petty Magic spells that Caledor knows that Moritz does not; being Glowing Light, Marsh Lights and Sounds. Likewise Moritz can teach Caledor Magic Dart although I'm not sure if Caledor could be bothered as Radiant Gaze does twice the damage for only one higher casting number.]
(OOC: That would be fine, and I'll consider that Moritz has been studying for quite some time, but you'll only be allowed to choose one spell to learn. Because I now have Realms of Sorcery, the rules on learning magic are modified. I would ask you to give me a few minutes to modify the rules to something more resembling a decent system, and then click on the link in my signature to read the updated magic section, please?)
GameMaster coming through, look out!
• Dice Rollers: Wizards of the CoastInvisible Castle; use either of these to make, copy and paste dice rolls into your posts.
What is a PbF Game, and How Do I Post in it?
Our House Rules
2nd Ed Magic Rules
How Do I Read My Character Record (Character Development, Your Stuff..., and Game Mechanics)
Character Concepts and Ideas
User avatar
Moritz Zahnbrecher
Novice
Novice
Posts: 146
Joined: 17 Sep 2005, 23:02
Location: Canberra, Australia

Unread post by Moritz Zahnbrecher » 23 Jul 2007, 21:45

(OOC: Don't worry, I don't expect to be able to learn all at once, one at a time over what I'm sure will be an extended time and obviously dependant on what Caledor is willing to share with Moritz.)
This wont hurt a bit, it'll hurt a lot.
___________________________________
Warhammer Character Sheet
User avatar
Athaeis
Scout (Second Career)
Scout (Second Career)
Posts: 393
Joined: 05 Aug 2004, 19:21
Location: The Olde World
Contact:

Unread post by Athaeis » 23 Jul 2007, 22:12

Onna wrote:"Well, I belive I shall return this bundle to my quarters, then perhaps I shall head off to find a meal and maybe even a drink. It is far too early to retire for the evening, and I am still in need of a little relaxation before the ceremony in the morn. Would anyone care to join me?"
"Food would be very welcome, and perhaps a few drinks. Do you believe two Elves and a Dwarf will be able to remain away from trouble?

Perhaps there is a place we may find safer to congregate?" Turning to Onna, Athaeis addresses him specifically and quietly,

"After our time at the Mere, I have felt an incessant conflict within myself that did not exist before. Perhaps you will keep me in line should this internal conflict become more pronounced?"
Image
"Be careful what you wish for."

If you want something done right, make sure you send an Elf. Otherwise, expect it to go wrong, especially where Dwarves are involved.
______________________________

Athaeis' Warhammer Character Sheet :lol: Athaeis' Journal :lol: Wind of Freedom


Image
User avatar
Claudia
Master Thief (Third Career)
Master Thief (Third Career)
Posts: 530
Joined: 05 Aug 2004, 21:47
Location: London, UK

Unread post by Claudia » 24 Jul 2007, 12:22

A slow smile crept across DeGrassi's lips and his demeanor changed as Claudia explained her plight to the man,

"I am not one without compassion, my dear, and I admire your audacity at this moment. Many of the women of Bretonnia, one of which is my wife, Maris, are docile, to say the least, not like the women of my home in Tilea." The man crooks his right arm and offers it to Claudia; if she fails to take it, he is not offended, but rather the smile grows wider on his face for a moment.
Claudia felt the weight drop from her shoulders and couldn't help beaming back at DeGrassi in relief and joy. Slowly at first, then gradually quicker Claudia walked over to DeGrassi and put her arm through his. "You know if someone sees you you'll have some explaining to do, especially, if it gets back to your wife".
"Indeed, I wondered when you would be back".

"So, you wish to trade with the good count Mallery, do you? Tell me, what would you desire in return, for the Count is wealthy, although his coffers are far smaller in coin than one might expect? We must be quick, however, as my wife will, indeed, be expecting me home for the evening meal soon." He begins moving toward the bridge back to the Dart.
Claudia gave out a small chuckle. "You know that is the one thing in all this I have no idea about. If he does turn around and say, yes I'll have it, what I'm actually going to ask for in return. What sort of items does a man like Mallery have in his possession? I think I need to ask a few people who have an invested interest in this trade".

"So tell me what are the do's and do not's with Count Mallery? What's likely to get my head cut off and what's likely to close the deal?" Claudia continued as DeGrassi lead the pair to a attractive looking tavern.
"We’re not so different you and I. OK, so I'm young, good looking and intelligent, but apart from that we're virtually the same."
______________________________
Claudia's Warhammer Character Sheet :lol: Claudia's Journal
User avatar
Tithenon
LoreMaster
LoreMaster
Posts: 1821
Joined: 05 Aug 2004, 17:55
Location: Loren Forest, in the Grey Mountains
Contact:

Unread post by Tithenon » 24 Jul 2007, 13:45

(OOC: I'm home sick today, friends. The heat finally got the better of me, and I have had a headache the size of the Empire State Building since yesterday afternoon. Just wanted to let you guys know in case anyone was surprised.)
Claudia wrote:"You know if someone sees you you'll have some explaining to do, especially, if it gets back to your wife".
He laughs widely, his broad shoulders and fat belly shaking and jiggling at the jibe.

"Yes, but I have much explaining to do every night with my Maris! Tonight, I just happen to have a reason for the interrogation." He laughs even harder for a few moments, then explains,

"Pardon me, my dear, we Tilean's enjoy laughter, especially in due course of the requirement for such."
Claudia gave out a small chuckle. "You know that is the one thing in all this I have no idea about. If he does turn around and say, yes I'll have it, what I'm actually going to ask for in return. What sort of items does a man like Mallery have in his possession? I think I need to ask a few people who have an invested interest in this trade".
DeGrassi's laughter fades quickly, and something of a dour expression crosses his face.

"Indeed, many others may have a vested interest in this trade, as well. From the poor in the fields to the Countess, who cannot be properly woo'd by the Mallery without a trinket such as that you hold. Those of both honest and dishonest means and desires may be entered into the count of heads desiring this trade, or perhaps to make the trade themselves. You must be very careful to tell no one of the jewel except those you trust the most, and quiet when speaking with them of it.

"As for the possessions the Count may have, I am uncertain, although a man of means, and of war, such as the good Count, may well have anything you could request, or would know how to gain it in order to make this trade."
"So tell me what are the do's and do not's with Count Mallery? What's likely to get my head cut off and what's likely to close the deal?" Claudia continued as DeGrassi lead the pair to a attractive looking tavern.
He looked thoughtfully toward the tavern windows, seeing the light from the candles play through the rough hewn glass and, for several seconds seemed to be carefully considering his words before answering,

"Since it is to be at the Dauphin's wedding and, yes, my dear, I will broker the deal to the best of my ability, of course for the Moonstone," he holds his left hand up, index finger pointing upwards to punctuate his point, "I do not believe you will have much to worry about as far as losing your head," he chuckles lightly at this, "as the Dauphin is the ultimate judge in matters of state and those who serve him do, indeed, love him.

"Because you desire to close this deal with the least amount of harassment and the highest amount of gain, I am afraid I will require you to place your audacity, as a female in a male-dominated society and an outsider, on hold and simply allow me to function in my capacity as your arbiter in this matter. After all, the Moonstone is worth much due to its cut, and it would be shameful for me to keep it if I were incapable of performing the trade properly for you.

"Can you do that?" He asks with no malice or deceit in his voice, as he reaches out with his left hand to grab the door latch and lift it, revealing the interior of the tavern.
GameMaster coming through, look out!
• Dice Rollers: Wizards of the CoastInvisible Castle; use either of these to make, copy and paste dice rolls into your posts.
What is a PbF Game, and How Do I Post in it?
Our House Rules
2nd Ed Magic Rules
How Do I Read My Character Record (Character Development, Your Stuff..., and Game Mechanics)
Character Concepts and Ideas
User avatar
Claudia
Master Thief (Third Career)
Master Thief (Third Career)
Posts: 530
Joined: 05 Aug 2004, 21:47
Location: London, UK

Unread post by Claudia » 24 Jul 2007, 15:42

"Because you desire to close this deal with the least amount of harassment and the highest amount of gain, I am afraid I will require you to place your audacity, as a female in a male-dominated society and an outsider, on hold and simply allow me to function in my capacity as your arbiter in this matter. After all, the Moonstone is worth much due to its cut, and it would be shameful for me to keep it if I were incapable of performing the trade properly for you.

"Can you do that?" He asks with no malice or deceit in his voice, as he reaches out with his left hand to grab the door latch and lift it, revealing the interior of the tavern.

Claudia smiled as she thought back to the confrontation at DeGrassi's store. Looking into the tavern ahead she saw the gentle lighting and the nicely furnished bar.

"One thing I do know about myself, is that I learn very quickly and very rarely make the same mistake twice. I nearly ruined this whole deal due to some ill placed words. My future conduct will be nothing more than perfectly diplomatic. You have the stage when it comes to the trade with Mallery and I will support you in any way you see fit" Claudia said looking DeGrassi in the eye.

"Now can we get a drink ? I'm parched and you're blocking the door" Claudia said pushing the door open and striding into the tavern.
"We’re not so different you and I. OK, so I'm young, good looking and intelligent, but apart from that we're virtually the same."
______________________________
Claudia's Warhammer Character Sheet :lol: Claudia's Journal
Locked