The Veil Between... Peace and War

Moritz Zahnbrecher
Novice
Novice

Unread post by Moritz Zahnbrecher » 29 Jun 2007, 01:23

Claudia wrote:]Claudia is ready to go to the tailors, even if it means going ahead without everyone else. Then meeting up again later.
Tithenon wrote:(OOC: Hmmm, the young man makes it pretty clear his orders are that everyone shows up. I'll PM J-J and Smarty in a minute.)
(OOC: I though we had in Smarty's and J-J's absence sort of decided that we had all met up again...{from the otherthread})
me wrote:(OOC: I'm done. Was just waiting to see if Onna responded and if so if Moritz could persude him to accompany him into the library, from there bump into Smarty, be introduced to J-J, return to the barracks and off to the wedding. Athaeis is already waiting and Caledor and Claudia will catch up soon once business is concluded. If the others haven't had the time to type out lengthy responces and don't mind that course of events a quick "yeah" should take it as given and Tith. can take it from there. Agreed?)
Tithenon wrote:(OOC: That sounds fantastic, Nik, and thank you. )
This wont hurt a bit, it'll hurt a lot.
LoreMaster
LoreMaster

Unread post by Tithenon » 30 Jun 2007, 10:47

Moritz Zahnbrecher wrote:(OOC: I though we had in Smarty's and J-J's absence sort of decided that we had all met up again...{from the otherthread})
(OOC: I don't remember that, but since neither of them seems to be answering, we're not going to wait for them. Rather let's move ahead and get into the wedding and banquet.)
me wrote:(OOC: I'm done. Was just waiting to see if Onna responded and if so if Moritz could persude him to accompany him into the library, from there bump into Smarty, be introduced to J-J, return to the barracks and off to the wedding. Athaeis is already waiting and Caledor and Claudia will catch up soon once business is concluded. If the others haven't had the time to type out lengthy responces and don't mind that course of events a quick "yeah" should take it as given and Tith. can take it from there. Agreed?)
Tithenon wrote:(OOC: That sounds fantastic, Nik, and thank you. )
(OOC: Okay, that's cheating... :lol: I must not have read the whole response before agreeing to it, but that's all good, and you're right, Nik, because we need to forge ahead.)
_______________________________________________(OOC: The young man leads all of you to awaiting carriages, that whisk you away to the tailors, who seems to have closed his shop to all but your group. The page waves you all inside and then goes inside himself, having a short conversation with the shop keeper, who subsequently takes off from the shop door, turns left on the street and disappears soon beyond the walls of the building itself.

The page kindly explains, "Our wait will be short, as the Tailor has gone to ask the Smith and Jeweler down the streets to come as well. If there is no jewelry that is already made, it may be made soon; anything for the current resident heroes of Bretonnia. However, jewelry is for temporary use only, and needs must be returned to the treasury soon after the banquet in the Dauphin's honor; except, of course, for anything you purchase during this day."

After a moment the Tailor brings the Smith and Jeweler, and they are all three at your beck and call.

Keep in mind that Mark is out of town until Wednesday, and may not be able to reply until Thursday. We will forge ahead the best we can and allow Mark to catch up for both Onna and Caledor on his return. If Brandon and Peter decide to join us, as well, which I would really like to happen, they will be allowed to catch up, also.)
GameMaster coming through, look out!
• Dice Rollers: Wizards of the CoastInvisible Castle; use either of these to make, copy and paste dice rolls into your posts.
What is a PbF Game, and How Do I Post in it?
Our House Rules
2nd Ed Magic Rules
How Do I Read My Character Record (Character Development, Your Stuff..., and Game Mechanics)
Character Concepts and Ideas
ArBes-Onna
Scout (Second Career)
Scout (Second Career)

Unread post by ArBes-Onna » 04 Jul 2007, 11:40

Standing near Athaeis, I remain silent as I listen to Claudia explain her and Caledor's adventures in the city. After reading through the parchment the rest of the way, I begin to wonder what I should wear to the wedding. Having spent plenty of time around the aristocracy of Altdorf as a younger man, I am no stranger to these kind of things, but I have been away for quite some time, so my mind begins to wander.

Looking around at my companions, I try to envision what we actually look like to someone outside our little group, and a smile crosses my face as I realize just how rough we probably appear to the commonfolk of this city.

Reaching down, I look at the cloak recently given to me by Caledor, still wrapped in a bundle under my arm, and then to my road-worn cloak I still wear, so stained with mud and other unmentionables that the elves of Loren couldn't even remove all of them.

Yes, new attire is definately in order here, and my mind begins to think back on a time, long ago, when I was just a lad in Altdorf, listening to my mother dote over my brother and I before some event at one of the nobles homes there. My smile widens as I think about my mother, but the memory of my departure still haunts me from time to time and the smile turns to a frown as I remember my brother, and what he had done to my father's buisness....

Shaking my head slightly, I return my thoughts to the presents and begin to form an idea of what I would like to wear to the wedding. As for the sash, I decide I shall display it, as requested by the Count, to avoid any trouble more than anything else, and having been in places before that disdained the elven race, I accept the fact that I will have to keep my elven features hidden from view as best I can during the event. As for the rest of my attire, I decide to keep more or less in the background, and wear something proper, but somewhat plain, to avoid drawing attention, especially if we split our group during the bartering session with Mallory....

Looking up from my reverie, I notice the group heads off to the waiting coaches, and I board them with the rest of my companions, still trying to decide what to wear...

(OOC: Paul, I will shoot you a PM with an outline of the clothing I decide on.)
I'narr en gothrim glinuva nuin I'anor
(The bones of our foes will gleam in the sun)
Journeyman Wizard (Second Career)

Unread post by Caledor » 04 Jul 2007, 11:53

Reading through the letter delivered to me, I am somewhat offended by the words of the coutier, especially the wearing of a veil to mask my features. Though not as well travelled as some of my companions, I have learned over the past months on the road that discretion really is the better part of valor, and decide to let the matter pass without comment.

Listening to the banter around me, I listen intently as Claudia describes our adventure with the wizard, Aggriem. Nodding occasionally in aggreement, I am thankful that she does not divulge too much information about our dealings with him, as most wozards are rather private, and do not wish to be exposed unneccessarily. It would not do well for us to make enemies of someone as powerful as a battle wizard!

Once she concludes her dissertation, I look to the others and decide that keeping myself unnoticed during the wedding would probably be best, though I will wear the sash of the Counts House, I will dress in a rather common fashion, and keep my comments brief, and only to those whom I know already whenever possible.

Following the others toward the waiting coach, I begin to picture what I shall wear...

(OOC: Paul, I will PM you with my choices of clothing in a few...)
The truth is stranger than fiction...
Novice
Novice

Unread post by Moritz Zahnbrecher » 06 Jul 2007, 20:17

The coach ride seems to take next to no time at all and shortly after Moritz is perched on a stool being measured for finery. While a tailor's scribe jots down lengths for inner-this and left-side that’s Moritz describes to the jeweller, in surprisingly fluent Bretonnian, the items he desires;

"I'd like a small, simple silver broach made for me, maybe about 3 inches in diameter. It should be in the shape of a heraldic shield. Adorning the shield should be a snarling lion looking up to a small single star, with the lower one of the eight compass points of the star just fractionally longer than the others. The background of the broach and the star is to be unpolished but the lion is to be highly polished. Something a little like this although I'm sure with you artistic talents you can improve on my little sketch."

With that Moritz hands over a small piece of paper that on which he had doodled the basic design in charcoal during the coach ride over to the shop.

"As well as the broach I'd like a pair of silver chained cufflinks with the family crest of the Dauphin showing on one of each pair of links and that of Count von Griebenheim on the other. I understand that you will have to make the broach and that you may have to do so with the cufflinks as well. I am sorry to be so crass as to raise the matter of payment but I do not expect the Dauphin or the Count to cover the cost of my adornments for their own offspring's wedding. If necessary I can pay approximately half of your costs now and the remainder after the ceremony. I do hope you have time to sculpt these few small items for us as I'm sure you are extremely busy with numerous other demands relating to this rare and wonderful event."

Once finished talking to the jeweller and having been all but violated by the tailor's tender ministrations while being sized, Moritz goes on to explain what he requires in the way of clothing.

- a good quality white linen undertunic (shirt) with cuffs suitable for cufflinks with both cuffs and collars in the current fashionable Brettonian style. Over that a black doublet (being the colour of scholars), of the best quality available, embroided with lilies; a common Brettonian symbol. Over this a good or better quality light woollen grey coloured coat, of a cut that slightly suggests of military service. Below; a good quality grey hose and an unpretentious good quality black codpiece. For footwear either black shoes or low boots, whichever fashion dictates and of the best quality available. The sash of Count von Griebenheim's House will be worn as intended as a belt.

(OOC: Tithenon please refer to my earlier PM for further details including what all this stuff means. :wink: )
LoreMaster
LoreMaster

Unread post by Tithenon » 08 Jul 2007, 14:13

Moritz Zahnbrecher wrote:"I'd like a small, simple silver broach made for me, maybe about 3 inches in diameter. It should be in the shape of a heraldic shield. Adorning the shield should be a snarling lion looking up to a small single star, with the lower one of the eight compass points of the star just fractionally longer than the others. The background of the broach and the star is to be unpolished but the lion is to be highly polished. Something a little like this although I'm sure with you artistic talents you can improve on my little sketch.

"As well as the broach I'd like a pair of silver chained cufflinks with the family crest of the Dauphin showing on one of each pair of links and that of Count von Griebenheim on the other. I understand that you will have to make the broach and that you may have to do so with the cufflinks as well. I am sorry to be so crass as to raise the matter of payment but I do not expect the Dauphin or the Count to cover the cost of my adornments for their own offspring's wedding. If necessary I can pay approximately half of your costs now and the remainder after the ceremony. I do hope you have time to sculpt these few small items for us as I'm sure you are extremely busy with numerous other demands relating to this rare and wonderful event."
(OOC: The jeweller's eyes glaze over for a moment as the details sink into his head, and he gratefully accepts the paper you proffer, then off he goes with ne'ry a word.

In truth, Moritz will not have these until the morning, though the jeweller will work through the rest of the evening and part of the night to finish what it is you're asking for. It's going to cost you roughly 25 Crowns to get it all done, especially with the amount of detail you've asked for. Unfortunately, it really doesn't leave a whole lot of time for the jeweller to do anything else.)
a good quality white linen undertunic (shirt) with cuffs suitable for cufflinks with both cuffs and collars in the current fashionable Brettonian style. Over that a black doublet (being the colour of scholars), of the best quality available, embroided with lilies; a common Brettonian symbol. Over this a good or better quality light woollen grey coloured coat, of a cut that slightly suggests of military service. Below; a good quality grey hose and an unpretentious good quality black codpiece. For footwear either black shoes or low boots, whichever fashion dictates and of the best quality available. The sash of Count von Griebenheim's House will be worn as intended as a belt.

(OOC: Tithenon please refer to my earlier PM for further details including what all this stuff means. :wink: )
(OOC: Got it... the clothing should not be a problem for this particular tailor to build into a nice suit for you and, once it's done, though you wanted to look plain, you would be considered rather dashing by the ladies of the day.)
• Dice Rollers: Wizards of the CoastInvisible Castle; use either of these to make, copy and paste dice rolls into your posts.
Our House Rules
2nd Ed Magic Rules
How Do I Read My Character Record (Character Development, Your Stuff..., and Game Mechanics)
Smarty
Mercenary (Second Career)

Unread post by Smarty » 10 Jul 2007, 11:38

(OOC: Sorry for prolonged absence)

Smarty will just shrug his shoulders and go along with the whole wedding idea. "Ye know, a dwarf does n'ae dress up much, so perhaps ye could give me some pointers Moritz or ye Damien?"

Smarty then gets in the carriage and goes to the shops with the group and gets fitted for his outfit, done up in the counts colors.
"If at first it don't fit, get a bigger hammer, if it still doesn't fit get the explosives," Smarty's favorite saying
Master Thief (Third Career)
Master Thief (Third Career)

Unread post by Claudia » 10 Jul 2007, 13:01

Claudia let her finger flick through the garments and gowns in the tailors shop, while the party waited for him to arrive with the jeweller. There were a number of floaty full length dresses, which although were made with the finest quality material and looked very lady like, were not quite her. There was no way she would feel comfortable wearing it all night. Especially when trying to negotiate with Count Mallery.

Claudia then came across a dress, which really caught her eye. Pulling the dress out Claudia held it up against herself to check the length.

The dress was black with gold embroidery. It was also tighter fitting than most of the other garments in the tailors shop. Claudia could just see herself wearing it too. Although black might not have been the most appropriate colour to wear at a wedding it was very elegant and modern. Claudia looked at herself in the mirror with the outfit in front of her, and thought to herself yes this is the one.

Paul – To give you an idea the outfit is very similar to the one in my new picture !!!
"We’re not so different you and I. OK, so I'm young, good looking and intelligent, but apart from that we're virtually the same."
Novice
Novice

Unread post by Moritz Zahnbrecher » 10 Jul 2007, 20:03

(OOC: Nice to see you back Smarty and Claudia - nice picture!)

"I'm afraid I may not be much help Smarty as I have never been to a formal Dwarven function. I also doubt that the Bretonnian tailors will have had much experience outfitting your people, any of your people for anything really let alone for the most formal of ceremonies they have next to a coronation.

What ever you do don't let them dress you like a Brettonian or Empirial courtier. I've seen a Dwarf dressed like that once back in Altdorf and he would have looked more suited in a circus sideshow and he was mocked behind his back. This in a land where your people are generally respected and were instrumental establishing Sigmar's Empire. Stuff them. Be proud of your heritage, let them know you are a Dwarf not some short human.

So I'd suggest simple cuts, nothing fancy, frilly of flamboyant, in good solid stony colours, greys and the like and maybe a strong blue to match your crest. If there is a dwarven cobbler somewhere here get yourself a good pair of solid Dwarven boots, polished so you can see the stars reflected in them. It might even be worth wearing your mail shirt or getting yourself a sleeved mail coat, again polished as highly as possible and having visible from under your outfit just to subtlety remind both the Bretonians and the Imperials that they are mere children compared to your people when it comes to martial prowess.

The Count's sash should be enough to show your allegiance. We may have come as part of his entourage but any more might imply we are part of his household which we are not.

Anyway, that's just some ideas. I'm far from an expert on style.

Also if you would like I can clean, trim and re-dye your crest. Clean and trim your beard as well. You don't want to lose any length or hight from either but they do in my opinion need a little professional care. You don't want either looking scruffy."

Unread post by Smarty » 11 Jul 2007, 11:13

"Did ye say trim me beard n' crest?" Smarty guffaws as he flexes his hand into and out of a fist. He then stops, closes his eyes, and takes a deep breath. "Aye, I suppose ye're righ' 'bout tha' n' I should probably clean it up a wee bi' but, ifn' ya take to much off I'll take some off you kin?" Smarty says with only the slightest hint of a smile. "Ooohhh, and them boots do sound a bit o' the good Moritz, thank ye fer tha' suggestion."

Looking through the tailor's wears Smarty decides on a simple blue tunic(the color his hair is) and a pair of grey trousers and asks for a sash in the counts colors. He then asks where he might find a dwarven cobbler so he can have a real pair of boots made.
"If at first it don't fit, get a bigger hammer, if it still doesn't fit get the explosives," Smarty's favorite saying
Scout (Second Career)
Scout (Second Career)

Unread post by ArBes-Onna » 12 Jul 2007, 21:00

Standing off to one side, I try to stay still as possible as the tailor assigned to me darts around me, sticking and measuring here and there. Having already made my mind up about the garments I should wear, my conversation with the craftsman was rather brief. Once he completed his task of measuring and cutting up a few swaches of cloth, I turned and listen to the others as they banter back and forth, chuckling a little about Smarty's haircut.

When I am sure the tailor has finished with me, I move toward the remainder of the group and look at the cloth and colors they have selected, nodding at each in turn. Feeling satisfied that we will all fit in quite nicely, if not with the wedding guests, at least we will all look like we belong together, I shrug and say to no one in particular...

"Well, I suppose we just wait now, and hope that everything fits." Then looking to the coutier who escorted us to this shop, I ask politely...

"Good Sir, what else do you have in store for us this fine evening?"
I'narr en gothrim glinuva nuin I'anor
(The bones of our foes will gleam in the sun)

Unread post by Caledor » 12 Jul 2007, 21:20

Standing next to the other elves in the group, I listen and laugh at Moritz as he very tactfully informs Smarty that he should consider some grooming before the wedding. Having known the taciturn dwarf for only a short time, I have come to learn that he is rather set in his ways, and does not take kindly to folks commenting on his dwarven heritage, in this case his beard and crest. Cringing slightly as Moritz finished, I am mildly suprised at Smarty willingly admitting that perhaps he could use a little grooming, especially from someone who is not a dwarf. Laughing in spite of myself, I shake my head and shrug my shoulders, much to the disappointment of my assigned tailor. Muttering my apologies to him as he finishes taking my mearurements, I thank him and make a few final comments to him to make sure he understands my wishes, then gather with the rest of the group as Onna finishes asking the coutier what comes next for our little group....
The truth is stranger than fiction...

Unread post by Smarty » 19 Jul 2007, 14:10

Hey everyone, Tith wanted me to let everyone know that between work and RL he has not had time to post or even use the computer lately. He will be offline for an undetermined amount of time.
Novice
Novice

Unread post by Moritz Zahnbrecher » 19 Jul 2007, 17:48

bugger :cry:

Oh well, we understand. Look forward to his and the game's return.
LoreMaster
LoreMaster

Unread post by Tithenon » 19 Jul 2007, 19:13

Smarty wrote:(OOC: Sorry for prolonged absence)
(OOC: I'm afraid I'll have to mirror that. Heck, I had Smarty call me on the phone last night to ask if I was still around, hehe. No apologies, I've just been working too hard to have any desire to do much but sleep, eat and work. Lemme see what I can get on with, here.)
Smarty then gets in the carriage and goes to the shops with the group and gets fitted for his outfit, done up in the counts colors.
(OOC: The carriages are very tight, indeed, with shoulders as wide as any Humans, but legs stumpy enough to make it difficult to get on the seat, hehe.)

The dress was black with gold embroidery. It was also tighter fitting than most of the other garments in the tailors shop. Claudia could just see herself wearing it too. Although black might not have been the most appropriate colour to wear at a wedding it was very elegant and modern. Claudia looked at herself in the mirror with the outfit in front of her, and thought to herself yes this is the one.

Paul – To give you an idea the outfit is very similar to the one in my new picture !!!
(OOC: Okay, fair enough. Nice pic, by the way.)
Smarty wrote:Looking through the tailor's wears Smarty decides on a simple blue tunic(the color his hair is) and a pair of grey trousers and asks for a sash in the counts colors. He then asks where he might find a dwarven cobbler so he can have a real pair of boots made.
(OOC: Oh, that's right, I forgot... Smarty left the sash, but took the leather jack, right? That's okay, a sash is provided on request for all who do.)

"Good Sir, what else do you have in store for us this fine evening?"
The young man turns from his reverie, having been off in his own world so as not to intrude in any of yours, and explains,

"Nothing, m'Lord. You will be taken back to your quarters and expected to show up for the late morning ceremony, about an hour before the sun is too high. You may, of course, make your appearance prior to that, although it would be imprudent to appear much earlier than the ceremony. However, if you are late, you will not be admitted.

"The Dauphin is cross when interrupted."
Caledor wrote:I thank him and make a few final comments to him to make sure he understands my wishes, then gather with the rest of the group as Onna finishes asking the coutier what comes next for our little group....
(OOC: He verifies the details you've given him and turns to the remainder of his tasks...)
Smarty wrote:Hey everyone, Tith wanted me to let everyone know that between work and RL he has not had time to post or even use the computer lately. He will be offline for an undetermined amount of time.
(OOC: Thank you, Brandon, I really appreciate you commenting. It MAY come down to be not being able to post for some time, and I'm only catching up tonight because I got sleep last night and we went in and got off at the normal times today. I haven't mowed my lawn in nearly a full month, now, laundry is always interspersed with several other things at the same time, and it's like I've been taking the time I do have off in preparation for the times I'm working.

Mark's even busier than I am, so I don't know how he found time, but I'm glad he did :D )
Our House Rules
2nd Ed Magic Rules