Lothíriel of Minas Tirith

If you have a character in our game, you will find their journal in this area, as well as some stickied threads near the top of the list for songs and stories. As well Player-heroes (PHs), as they are called in The One Ring, have some basic information here concerning how to build them. A journal means you have the opportunity to develop your character's depth to help you be able to get into them, even in a slow-flow forum-based setting such as our game. Have fun with it... using your journal and helping the group with songs may even lead you to gaining experience for posting about them.
Lothíriel
Novice
Novice
Melee APs: 6
Stealth APs: 4
Journey Role: Scout (S)

Re: Lothíriel of Minas Tirith

Unread post by Lothíriel » 05 Oct 2019, 11:24

Out-of-Character I've got notifications turned on and the site open in a tab on my laptop. So I'm good to go.
Fieranor of Imladris
LoreMaster
LoreMaster
Melee APs: 4

Unread post by Fieranor of Imladris » 05 Oct 2019, 11:26

LoreMaster Note That sounds good. :D I'm pretty sure the party is going to go ahead and make their way to Galford, so if you would like, unleash the hounds on a short travel story. It's basically you and Hathal making your way rapidly to Galford, but you won't arrive there until the early afternoon of the 19th of March, a few hours after I have planned for the main Company to arrive.

I'm not going to have you roll for Travel... there simply aren't enough days for it. However, I'll get a Travel roll (for Advantage Dice) and your two Fatigue rolls once the Company is ready to leave Edric's Town.
Lothíriel
Novice
Novice

Unread post by Lothíriel » 05 Oct 2019, 12:30

Fieranor of Imladris wrote:
05 Oct 2019, 11:26
I'm not going to have you roll for Travel... there simply aren't enough days for it. However, I'll get a Travel roll (for Advantage Dice) and your two Fatigue rolls once the Company is ready to leave Edric's Town.[/lm]
Out-of-Character So those dice rolls aren't until I return to Edric's Town and leave again? I'm ready to continue with the short story. You can pickup off my last post or I can go with something, just let me know.
Fieranor of Imladris
LoreMaster
LoreMaster

Unread post by Fieranor of Imladris » 05 Oct 2019, 16:42

Lothíriel wrote:
05 Oct 2019, 12:30
Out-of-Character So those dice rolls aren't until I return to Edric's Town and leave again? I'm ready to continue with the short story. You can pickup off my last post or I can go with something, just let me know.
LoreMaster Note This is correct. I'll collect those from you either during your stay in Edric's Town -yes, I'm letting you know that because, I think you already know, the Company is going in that direction, anyway- or as we're preparing to leave for the Company's destination. I'll leave the destination and what-not, which you may already have read from the main thread, up to role-playing when the Company welcomes you into their midst.
The morning is very crisp, your breath coming quickly in this part of the world, seen in the mist of your exhalations, which part you know is not the furthest North you can be, but is closest to one of the most desolate places on Earth, The Withered Heath. What the Heath accepts from its Northern climes it cools through a process of funneling the air into, over, and through the mountain wall that acts as a barrier between the desolation and civilization. The ground solidified during the night, having been more mud and grass during the previous day but cold enough at night to give it strength to hold your weight without allowing your boots to be muddied.

Many soldiers you have met, in Gondor, among the Rohirrim, and in your travels thus far, have proven to be slovenly and laissez-faire about the life and lifestyle they have chosen to undertake in defense of their lands, and most situations for those soldiers are hours and days of waiting, nothing to do, punctuated by preparation and the wait for battle, and the actual battle itself. However, during those hours of crisp and rigid preparation, you have met no finer individual, none more professional, relaxed and prepared for their doom, as those self-same soldiers. Mornings like these might remind you of that fact, being crisp and allowing for the rigidity and professionalism of thought, lest you turn lazy and be caught out by conditions of the world that can kill you by being such.

Arriving at the stables, you witness a young blonde man standing close to one of several braziers throughout town that smoke with the fire stoked within, trying to keep his hands warm. His hair has been clipped in the front and around to the tips of his ears, so he can see all he is doing and as much around him as his personal awareness allows for. His face, particularly his jawline, is carven strong and handsome, his eyes fierce and wary, his stature betraying the power within the cloak and clothing he carries over his frame, belying the ancestry common to Eorl the Young's bloodline, which came from the Northmen of Arnor and the brother house to it, Gondor, or Southmen/Southron's, as it were. He would be your brother in another age, but only by blood, not lineage. Because of the lack of common lineage beyond Eorl, and further back than that, indeed of a distant past none can now envisage, you might have taken this one as a lover, except for his obvious youth and the inexperience you know he possesses. He looks strong enough to handle you, but the inexperience might drive you crazy.

When he sees you he immediately approaches and announces himself,

"I am Hathal, son of the Blacksmith Methal, Captain Lothíriel," he smiles broadly with this last bit, almost whispering the rank so Edmund is unable to hear, wherever he may be. Of course, as always works this way, Edmund is coming around the corner of the livery, in your eyesight and ear-shot of Hathal's statement, his face turning sour -not angry, for he understands the loyalty you've built, by reputation if not action, in Edric's Town- as he continues his now-stealthy approach. Hathal continues on, ears closed as he speaks,

"I am happy to journey with you toward Galford." Edmund stomps his right boot on the solid ground immediately behind Hathal, the younger man's head dropping in a posture which is a mixture of shame and 'he's right behind me, isn't he'. When Hathal turns, his face scrunched against the sudden presence of the actual Captain of the Guard, Edmund is holding the missive from Lady Sara at arms length and in front of the man's face, exclaiming,

"Here is your charge, young Hathal. Learn from Captain Lothíriel while you are on your journey, for I will test you when you return home."

"Yes, Captain sir!" Hathal stomps his foot into the ground, taking on a position of attention, looking dead forward, taking the envelope, which is half-shoved into his hand.

"Make sure your steed is ready to go, boy!" Without a word, or any of the previously established swagger, the young Horseman runs off to his assigned duty, stuffing the letter into an inner fold of his traveling robe. Edmund closes his eyes and shakes his head, smiling broadly and shaking a friendly finger at you, unable to speak.
Lothíriel
Novice
Novice

Unread post by Lothíriel » 05 Oct 2019, 18:15

05 Oct 2019, 16:42
"Make sure your steed is ready to go, boy!" Without a word, or any of the previously established swagger, the young Horseman runs off to his assigned duty, stuffing the letter into an inner fold of his traveling robe. Edmund closes his eyes and shakes his head, smiling broadly and shaking a friendly finger at you, unable to speak.
Lothíriel quietly appraises the handsome son of the blacksmith as she approaches him warming his hands by the brazier. She thinks she'll have to see how he deals with the world and troubles beyond the borders of the smithy and his home. Giving her reason to see to the reckoning that the orc encampment will bring to his people.
Should he end up surviving and making himself worthy of manhood, then perhaps she'll teach him a thing or two about the greater world and maybe about other things. She smirks to herself as he addresses her as captain knowing full well she really isn't his captain, but enjoying the honor and praise never less. She holds her tongue watching Edmund come up behind the boy and give him the scare of his life. She nearly laughs, but holds it back and nods at the look from Hathal confirming he is indeed right behind you. She observes as Edmund gives Hathal the missive from Lady Sara and charge to learn from her on this journey. She chuckles softly as Hathal runs off to ready his steed and looks at Edmund as he shakes his finger. "You are a bad man captain, scaring that boy so, but it was a good lesson for him. I shall endeavor to make sure he learns how to survive beyond these walls." Lothíriel adjusts her pack and shield looking around the livery and says, "Anything from Lady Sara for me or is my word enough to give to Vali? I assume one of these steeds is for my use."
Fieranor of Imladris
LoreMaster
LoreMaster

Unread post by Fieranor of Imladris » 05 Oct 2019, 19:11

Edmund, over the situation but still smiling slightly, which is not altogether a pleasing sight, missing and blackened teeth almost entirely filling his mouth, lowers his finger arm and answers,

"Vali runs the Inn in Galford and trusts anyone, as long as they're not servants of the fiend. With your personality and inherent honor, your word will be your bond with him." Edmund rubs his forehead with the back of his fur-covered sleeve, exhaustion suddenly taking hold on his face and he explains, "I've yet to be to bed, this night, or the past two, and I need a couple hours worth of rest before I begin preparing defenses.

"You are a trusted friend to Edric's Town and I hate to see you go, but go you must."
LoreMaster Note Do you have anything else to do in Edric's Town? Want to answer Edmund, etc.?
Lothíriel
Novice
Novice

Unread post by Lothíriel » 05 Oct 2019, 19:19

05 Oct 2019, 19:11
"You are a trusted friend to Edric's Town and I hate to see you go, but go you must."
LoreMaster Note Do you have anything else to do in Edric's Town? Want to answer Edmund, etc.?
Lothíriel smiles at Edmund and says, "Good, then that'll be easy enough to deliver her message and warning to prepare themselves. You should get some rest, you will do Lady Sara no good if you can't stay alert and ready to defend Edric's Town should I not get back before they begin their assaults. May the Valar watch over you until my return." Lothíriel will find the steed that they prepared for her and secure her pack and shield to it. She'll wrap herself in the furs offered by Lady Sara and secure the coins given in her purse. She'd mount up and say to Hathal, "Ready Hathal, son of Methal?"
Fieranor of Imladris
LoreMaster
LoreMaster

Unread post by Fieranor of Imladris » 05 Oct 2019, 22:18

LoreMaster Note Ross, I haven't slept well for the past two nights and I'm absolutely exhausted. I'll have to come back to this tomorrow afternoon, alright? I'll have to write the next part of the Company's story, anyway, so if we get ahead of ourselves, here, we may miss a story part that could have an effect on your part of our game. Have a great night, my friend, and I'll be on as soon as I possibly can tomorrow afternoon. :)
Fieranor of Imladris
LoreMaster
LoreMaster

Unread post by Fieranor of Imladris » 09 Oct 2019, 20:46

The wind was at your back for the two days of travel from Edric's Town. By mid-afternoon of the first day you saw a set of ruins on the road to Galford and, on the late-morning of the second day you passed a small caravan, a pair of wagon's with two horses each for them and a fifth horse tied to the rear wagon, a pair of brigand's posing as mercenary guards, and the caravan leader tall and strong, appearing for all the world to be a Beorning, with mutton chops on each side of his face and bright, clear, wary eyes. When seeing the leader and comparing the smaller statures and builds of the guards, you knew they were little more than hired gun-hands. Recognizing your demeanor and outfit he simply smiled and nodded as you passed.

19 March, 2947, Nearing Galford, High Sun
The wind visibly calmed as this day began and the sun came out to warm the ground, making it feel for all the world as though Spring may actually be coming, releasing some of the sweeter smells traveling from the North to the south on the calm but incessant wind. Coming in sight of Galford near midday, Hathal asks,

"When should I make my split from you, when we are closer to Galford, now, or somewhere in-between?" The past two days have shown Hathal to be a proud warrior, someone you believe you could count on in a spot, and a hard-working young man with singular purpose to nearly all he does. Last night and the night before he showed resilience in the face of the crisp winds in finding both tinder and firewood, setting his tent and aiding with yours, and he has listened intently to every word you've spoken, attempting to make Captain Edmunds order a reality. You may not be able to help but think Methal, his Father, would be very proud of him.

It is also obvious he has become enamored of you, only slightly more so than infatuation and extraordinary respect, though you are also able to tell he is conflicted because of your demeanor of authority; thus, he has kept any compliments to himself, more or less. Young as he is, he may not figure it out for some time.
LoreMaster Note Have you attempted to give him any pointers in any of the skills or talents you have?
Lothíriel
Novice
Novice

Unread post by Lothíriel » 10 Oct 2019, 13:27

09 Oct 2019, 20:46
"When should I make my split from you, when we are closer to Galford, now, or somewhere in-between?" The past two days have shown Hathal to be a proud warrior, someone you believe you could count on in a spot, and a hard-working young man with singular purpose to nearly all he does. Last night and the night before he showed resilience in the face of the crisp winds in finding both tinder and firewood, setting his tent and aiding with yours, and he has listened intently to every word you've spoken, attempting to make Captain Edmunds order a reality. You may not be able to help but think Methal, his Father, would be very proud of him.

It is also obvious he has become enamored of you, only slightly more so than infatuation and extraordinary respect, though you are also able to tell he is conflicted because of your demeanor of authority; thus, he has kept any compliments to himself, more or less. Young as he is, he may not figure it out for some time.
LoreMaster Note Have you attempted to give him any pointers in any of the skills or talents you have?
Lothíriel has kept a close eye on her surroundings and on Hathal as they traveled from Edric's Town to Galford. During the first day, she held the gaze of the Beorning who led the caravan that was obviously more than it seemed as they rode past making sure they clearly saw her shield and armor with the White Tree blazoned upon them. Seeing that they didn't give her any trouble she felt better, but figured she'd warn Galford about them just in case. After passing them she spent a bit of time tell Hathal about how to read strangers and take in clues upon their dress and demeanors. That night she gave the young man another lesson in sword showing him the finer points of defense against being outnumbered. The second day being more pleasant she felt vigored as she rode and enjoyed Hathal's company and service. As they came into sight of Galford she looked up at Hathal and responded to his inquiry. "We've made great progress without any need to draw blades, I'm am very glad. I am also pleased by your skills and service in helping me on this journey Hathal and shall tell your father and Captain Edmund of you fine skills when I return to Edric's Town. Go with my blessing and the blessings of the Valar and ride swift and surely to Dale and King Bard. I shall see you when I return."
Fieranor of Imladris
LoreMaster
LoreMaster

Unread post by Fieranor of Imladris » 10 Oct 2019, 14:09

"Good journey, m'Lady," Hathal expresses, bowing his head respectfully as he pulls on the reigns of the smaller steed he rides, a paint horse barely a yearling. Though you watch after him for a time to ensure he has his head and is well enough on his own, you eventually have to take the road leading to the forward gate of Galford. On entering the gates, you see members of all races scurrying about their chores, but it is one strong voice that catches your ear,

http://www.wolvesau.net/oneringrpg/images/Moses_Gunn_as_Vali.jpg"Perhaps the snow has melted more than I know?" The depth and timbre of a man's voice gains your immediate attention. "Where are you from?" The darker skin of his care-worn face is not something you see every day in the life of Middle-earth, perhaps more among the Dunlendings and some of the inter-breeding that has taken place among the population of Rohan. His left wrist rests on some manner of rake handle, his boots tall and just starting to become muddy in the swiftly warming mud and melting snow and ice, but with little dirt. You are certain he is a farmer, the salt of the Earth, but more exists behind the quiet mirth of his face, the very open curiosity in his expression, and wisdom resting atop his brow and around his powerful cheekbones, appearing as amiable as anyone could be in this wide world.
Lothíriel
Novice
Novice

Unread post by Lothíriel » 10 Oct 2019, 14:22

10 Oct 2019, 14:09
warming mud and melting snow and ice, but with little dirt. You are certain he is a farmer, the salt of the Earth, but more exists behind the quiet mirth of his face, the very open curiosity in his expression, and wisdom resting atop his brow and around his powerful cheekbones, appearing as amiable as anyone could be in this wide world.
She looks at the farmer, letting the sun glisten on her shield and armor both bearing the symbol of the White Tree.
"I am Lothíriel of Minas Tirith, however, I come to deliver words and a letter from Lady Sara of Edric's Town to Vali of the Lantern. Where might I find him?"
Fieranor of Imladris
LoreMaster
LoreMaster

Unread post by Fieranor of Imladris » 10 Oct 2019, 14:54

"I know you are of Gondor, Lothíriel of the White City, for my parents were also of that August state. Is this message of immediate import, or could it wait a bit for you to shake the mud off the forelocks of your steed and the ice of your cloak?"
LoreMaster Note Ross, I'm getting ready to launch the next portion of the story. If you think it's possible, I would also like to continue role-playing, here, until we've resolved this short bit? Hint, I don't think you'll be going directly to the Inn.
Lothíriel
Novice
Novice

Unread post by Lothíriel » 10 Oct 2019, 15:06

Out-of-Character I'm perfectly fine resolving whatever story you got in store for me here before joining the others
Lothíriel smiles, "Good to know that I'm among friends. So you would be Vali I presume? As for your invite for hospitality, I can shake off both ice and mud while I speak for this is news that shouldn't wait, for it could mean grave things for Edric's Town and Galford should steps not be taken in earnest."
Fieranor of Imladris
LoreMaster
LoreMaster

Unread post by Fieranor of Imladris » 10 Oct 2019, 15:20

Lothíriel wrote:
10 Oct 2019, 15:06
Lothíriel smiles, "Good to know that I'm among friends. So you would be Vali I presume? As for your invite for hospitality, I can shake off both ice and mud while I speak for this is news that shouldn't wait, for it could mean grave things for Edric's Town and Galford should steps not be taken in earnest."
"What is the message you bring from Lady Sara, then? I will be your best source of help in the town and, if I'm not the best source of help, I can find you the one you seek to aid you best." Vali leans his rake against the nearest building, only a couple feet away, then crosses his arms and stands in front of you, inquisitive all over his stature, stance, and face.