Arphenion "Artorius" Annunion Ranger of the North - Bryce

If you have a character in our game, you will find their journal in this area, as well as some stickied threads near the top of the list for songs and stories. As well Player-heroes (PHs), as they are called in The One Ring, have some basic information here concerning how to build them. A journal means you have the opportunity to develop your character's depth to help you be able to get into them, even in a slow-flow forum-based setting such as our game. Have fun with it... using your journal and helping the group with songs may even lead you to gaining experience for posting about them.
Fieranor of Imladris
LoreMaster
LoreMaster
Melee APs: 4
Stealth APs: 4

Re: Arphenion "Artorius" Annunion Ranger of the North - Bryce

Unread post by Fieranor of Imladris » 01 Jul 2019, 10:10

Oh, love of Eru, that was beautiful and well-written. Bryce, writing a letter and sending it in this fashion may have unexpected consequences; are you willing to take those on? If so, please give me both a Courtesy roll and a separate roll of the Feat Die, and ensure you account for any specials, please? If not, please select a different Undertaking? I understand what you're trying to do, here, and it's definitely laudible, and good things can come, but bad things also.

If you would like, you can spend 1 point of Treasure to make sure the letter is delivered well, as it gives you a positive modifier to the delivery.
Artorius
Seeker
Seeker
Journey Role: Hunter (P)

Unread post by Artorius » 01 Jul 2019, 10:40

Mixed rolls:

Courtesy - Gandalf Rune + 4 = 16
Feat - I don't know exactly what you mean so I just rolled a dice at 0 level and got a flat 2.
Fieranor of Imladris
LoreMaster
LoreMaster

Unread post by Fieranor of Imladris » 01 Jul 2019, 10:56

For Courtesy you roll 1d12 + 1d6 and let me know those numbers.

The Feat Die is a 1d12, and Success Die are equal to your Rank in the skill, which in this case is 1 Rank.

So, beyond that roll, above, roll another 1d12 for me, please?
Fieranor of Imladris
LoreMaster
LoreMaster

Unread post by Fieranor of Imladris » 01 Jul 2019, 13:20

Artorius would never find out, but the letter ends up lost!
LoreMaster Note A roll of 2 on the chart, now that I realize what you were telling me in your previous post, is this...

Lost! The letter has been lost, stolen or otherwise, and was never received; or, the letter arrives too late, either at some point AFTER the company has reached a destination, or even after his inheritance has been disposed of (in the case of a Letter of Farewell). In any case, ignore the effects of the letter. ~ Bree, pg. 36
Artorius
Seeker
Seeker

Unread post by Artorius » 01 Jul 2019, 13:36

Out-of-Character Perfect! Now she will die sad and alone without even a letter from her love, this has turned very Game of Thrones indeed!
Fieranor of Imladris
LoreMaster
LoreMaster

Unread post by Fieranor of Imladris » 01 Jul 2019, 14:48

LoreMaster Note LOL... that's why I asked if you really wanted to do that, and gave you opportunities to increase your chances. Sorry, man. It was so beautiful what you wrote, but even with bonuses I could give, it wouldn't have changed the outcome much.
Artorius
Seeker
Seeker

Unread post by Artorius » 01 Jul 2019, 15:18

Out-of-Character If he ever finds out I think Artorius character will change dramatically... Now that makes interesting storytelling.
Fieranor of Imladris
LoreMaster
LoreMaster

Unread post by Fieranor of Imladris » 01 Jul 2019, 19:51

LoreMaster Note Oh, I imagine that to be true!
Fieranor of Imladris
LoreMaster
LoreMaster

Unread post by Fieranor of Imladris » 05 Jul 2019, 19:38

Alright, so what's the Undertaking you want for the end of the Dragontide Event? Again, look here and choose one, please? viewtopic.php?f=57&t=2865&start=45#p15579
Artorius
Seeker
Seeker

Unread post by Artorius » 05 Jul 2019, 23:39

Sorry, thought I was done. I think knowing more of the land would be of most interest and most useful for the company. Artorius will join the kings hunt!
Fieranor of Imladris
LoreMaster
LoreMaster

Unread post by Fieranor of Imladris » 06 Jul 2019, 10:05

Bryce, there are a couple of notes for Join the King's Hunt I have for you.
  1. First, on the front of your Character Record, where your Travel skill is, notice the JKH in the same blue as most of the notes everywhere else, please? This is, of course, for Join the King's Hunt.
  2. On the back, on Tale of Years, you'll notice Join the King's Hunt is in bold followed by a description of what you can do...
    1. The bonus to Travel ONLY has effect when you're in the Northern Dale-lands and the Upper Marches nearby the Dale-lands, and
    2. If you want to use your bonus, YOU have to take the role of Primary Huntsman/Hunter for the group. You can change that out when you are outside the two zones listed above, if you like, though your Travel is Favored and you have three Ranks in it already, which is not bad.
  3. You and Aethelwulf might have to work out who's performing the primary Huntsman role.
  4. The way the dice work, within the above-listed circumstance, is that you would roll your normal Feat die (D12) and then you would roll a second Feat die (you normally only get one, regardless of what skill, characteristic, or ability you use) and take whichever one rolls highest. This means if you roll a Image (Sauron's Eye, which is an automatic failure, or at least a 0) and then you roll a 1 on your second Feat die, you would want to keep the 1. Likewise, if you rolled a 10 on your first Feat die and then a Image (Gandalf's Rune, an automatic success, or at least a 12), you would want to keep the Gandalf. These dice are normally rolled on Roll 20, unless you have a set or are able and willing to interpret; On the Feat die, an 11 is the Sauron's Eye while the 12 is a Gandalf's Rune, and on the Success dice a 6 is the Tengwar Run ( Image; a higher degree of success) and, as such, you could roll your dice in any of a number of ways and then throw me the numbers and I can translate.
If you have any questions, throw them at me and I'll answer them ASAP. Cheers.
Artorius
Seeker
Seeker

Unread post by Artorius » 09 Jul 2019, 14:00

"Two minutes left. Maybe I should of prepared better..."

The Ranger frowned as he sat on a bench in a darkend corner of an almost silent tavern. The moon outside was bright and silver and shone over the land like a great lamp, proud and mighty without any clouds to block any of its glorious twilight radiance. The streets, though lit up by the moons beams, were empty. The only sound which could be heard was that of a dishwasher finishing up with the nights cutlery and tankards, and pretty soon silence would fall again. The innkeeper had told Artoirus the building was left open during the night, everything valuable was locked up at night and the kindly owner keep it free for folk who were sleeping rough normally to have a bit of warmth. This night Artorius was the sole occupier. One minute to go...

"One minute left, and I would have lived longer than my father. I am not sure whether to feel pride or guilt meeting such a milestone, after all one Hundred years is the real mile stone... Grandfather reached that and his life was far more perilous than my own!"

A grim smile spread across his face, but it was not one of joy but of negative nostalgia.

"I remember their arguments from when I was a child, my father almost possesed by the lust for battle. My grandfather, trying to calm his war hungry son and lamenting his own path as a Warden which had influenced his boy so much."

He recalled a strong memory, of a time both were arguing about his fathers choice to join a mercenary band for the 'experience' and the 'thrill'. He saw the argument in his minds eye. Both men roaring at each other while he drew pictures in the corner, and then came that dark comment from his father...

"Silence your tongue old man! You know as well as anyone what awaits us. We are Annunions! I know it in my heart, as do you. It is a fate all of us share and you cannot deny this. I know for certain that I will die in battle, it is a family tradition."

Mad ramblings of a warmonger and yet, all true with his ancestors. Eventually his grandfather was brought home on a shield from the defence of Forochel...

The candle on the table flickered. One second to go. Artorius looked at the little light and smiled once more and spoke "So be it..." and blew out the candle.
Out-of-Character I felt compelled to add the below, as the first part is pretty dark.
The clock struck midnight and the room burst into light, there were cheers and yells of rejoyce and celebration. Storming into the room was his fellowship and his friends, all with smiles and faces of warmth. Slowly behind came a Hobbit and Dwarf carrying a fairly sizable cake. Before he could react the folk were patting his back and hugging him. He found himself being pulled to the door and his vision directed to the clear skies. Outside the night air filled with fireworks of such majestic colours! Blue, red, orange, green, silver, gold, and more exploded into grand patterns and animal shapes. A whispered reached his ear:

"A gift from Mithrandir to you."

And then was the best gift of all, the whole crowd singing him a birthday praise. And the Elves of the company could swear that they may have seen a tear fill the eye of the Ranger, before being quickly blinked away.
Last edited by Artorius on 09 Jul 2019, 14:20, edited 1 time in total.
Fieranor of Imladris
LoreMaster
LoreMaster

Unread post by Fieranor of Imladris » 09 Jul 2019, 14:13

LoreMaster Note Bryce, don't worry about the message I just sent you... I was too late. Perhaps even you forgot your birthday and celebrated it later, at the Inn. I'm really sorry about the mixup, man.

Would a note such as this suffice!?
Artorius
Seeker
Seeker

Unread post by Artorius » 14 Jul 2019, 14:20

The fire was dying, embers still glowed a faint orange light and provided the smallest amount of light to the wooded grove. It was a good kilometer from the main camp, and there was no sound from the others who were most likely sleeping at this hour.

Artorius sat slumped on a log, his eyes were red raw and stung. His cheeks still were stained with the tears he had shed only a few minutes earlier. In his right hand was a freshly sharpened knife and in his left, was the whetstone he had been honing the edge on. He looked the blade in the moonlight, ran his fingers across the edge and cut the tip of his thumb. Crimson blood dripped into the snow, and the Ranger watched it silently drip onto the ground.

It had been a one in a million chance, unheard of before and likely never to happen again. He recalled it ever so briefly. While on the road to Dale, the party had attracted attention from some unknown stalker. Artorius was the first to pick it up and told his friends to keep on moving as normal as he melded into the forest and dissapeared. It was not difficult for the experienced Dúnadain to turn their stalker into the prey. Within fifteen minutes he had tackled the persuer onto the ground with a stealth strike only to find out it was one of his people...

That was many hours ago now, and he had not chosen to remember such detailed events of the conversation after. Something about the other Ranger returning from a scouting mission from Harad and using the North due to its remoteness. The two Rangers spoke privately for only an hour before he had to leave. During that time Artorius learnt of the darkest of things, of the death of his lover and most heartbreakingly the undelivered letter found from underneath the bedsite cabinent where it had fallen before she could read it. Unopened it layed, gathering dust while she took her last breaths. He remembered nothing else of the conversation.

The blood began to clot on his thumb and its crimson flow had stopped. He will still studying the blade with his tired and bloodshot eyes. He felt nothing now, not only was she gone but she never got his final message to her. Everything was broken.

He placed the knife on his throat, felt the tip break the skin and then a warm trickle of blood run down his neck. Closing his eyes in mental torment, he stood up and screamed into the night. Flocks of birds took to the skies and he slumped back down to the log again. Raising the knife once again, he grab at his long hair and hacked at it with the blade. Over and over again he hacked at his hair and then began dragging the blade clumsily across his scalp. Several minutes later, his scalpe shaved and bloodied he pour a water skin over the wounds sending the blood flowing down his face. Using the last of the ember light, he looked at the reflection of his face in the blade. Things had changed, and so had he.
Fieranor of Imladris
LoreMaster
LoreMaster

Unread post by Fieranor of Imladris » 14 Jul 2019, 15:29

LoreMaster Note Wow. Powerful, again. However, keep in mind the time requirements to get mail from place-to-place in Middle-earth, especially over the Misty Mountains. Fast as they fly, even mail in the U.S. takes two to three days to get halfway across the country. To get from Dale or Erebor to Tinnudir would take a minimum of three weeks, by bird, and then dispatching someone to update Artorius would require another month-and-a-half if well-provisioned and supported. Hell, I have your letter from 16 March of this year to Calenglad, viewtopic.php?f=57&t=2865&start=30#p14718 , and I wasn't going to answer until September of '47 in the game, hehe. I can update that to the 14th in the game, as it would surely be about three to four weeks for your missive to be delivered.

Your characters are also due to begin receiving news from around Wilderland, but I have to time these things just right, so you receive them based on where you travel and your distance from the news. :D