Arphenion "Artorius" Annunion Ranger of the North - Bryce

If you have a character in our game, you will find their journal in this area, as well as some stickied threads near the top of the list for songs and stories. As well Player-heroes (PHs), as they are called in The One Ring, have some basic information here concerning how to build them. A journal means you have the opportunity to develop your character's depth to help you be able to get into them, even in a slow-flow forum-based setting such as our game. Have fun with it... using your journal and helping the group with songs may even lead you to gaining experience for posting about them.
Artorius
Seeker
Seeker
Melee APs: 4
Stealth APs: 4
Journey Role: Hunter (P)

Re: Arphenion "Artorius" Annunion Ranger of the North - Bryce

Unread post by Artorius » 30 May 2019, 13:22

The Old Ranger commander gently slides off the parchment attached to the ravens leg, along with a couple of coins. The note appears hastily written but the hand is instantly recognisable: Arphenion.

Calenglad,

The wheel still is turning, and we are now in the city of Dale. Events have been dark of late with the visit of a minor-dragon. The beast took many lives before we fell it with arrow, spear and sword. Then of all the people in the world to turn up, it was none other than the Third Immortal. He was unfamiliar with the title, preferring to be refered to as Radagast but this name is known to me as well. An Istari of curious nature but still I am in awe of the appearance of a Maiar at this time.

There are two things I must raise now for just your eyes only. I had another vision, and I have not informed the company as I feel it will complicate things. The vision was of the Third Immortal and his road here. I am not certain if this is a false projection as surely one of the Istari have such powers to hide their paths from gifts such as mine? I see the Wizard in great stress in a wood, it is a dark and forboding place and I can only assume its either Fangorn or perhaps Mirkwood. He feels fear due to no birds singing, no "sound of the trees" that his ancient ears can hear. There is a darkness growing and its growing very quick. His thoughts are a blur of questions and choices which include the consideration of contacting some great eagles that he knows. I was uncertain of this but Wizards know things more than both mortal men and the Eldar do. Prophecies of destruction are on his mind, chanting it with a mind fever of raining ashes, tears of doom. Crimson colours in the sky as the world falls due to some unknown and unseen terror. I cannot keep track of the vision, it is too fast and unclear in my mind. I catch one last moment before it finishes but fortunately it is one of hope. The Wizard decides to act, and takes to the road. He rides on wordlessly but inside his thoughts it is crying out "I've been hiding my power, I will fight, I am here for the course as the land will remain and so will I. This will be my finest hour..."

The second thing: Mithrandir came to Dale tonight. I have no time to explain the meeting but his presence was invaluable. I will write more when I can.

I include a couple of silver coins for assistance with our people, and to thank you for your assitance with... well you know.

Navaer,

Arphenion.
Artorius
Seeker
Seeker

Unread post by Artorius » 04 Jun 2019, 13:42

Terve Poika,

I managed to message your sister briefly from my last location, and time has been kind to me to allow me to get this small note to you. I hope the Great Lodge of Suuri-Kylä is providing warmth against the harsh winters the land embraces. Your skills with the Lossoth language must be growing, persisit with it for despite its difficulty, it is a beautiful and rewarding language. And of course listen to old Ulkö and follow his guidance, he is an old friend of my fathers and I trust him as much as Calenglad.

I know you have told me not to worry about your situation but I still feel guilt for having you take leave of Evendim since your mother's passing but it was for the best. Your sister is safe with what little friends we have with the clan but I feared others would take their distaste out for me on you. But this is also an oppertunity, for Ulkö is the best Warden in the Lossoth. Heed his words and you will be undefeatable in battle, soon you will be standing toe to toe with the Kilpa-Kita and the Susi. Your grandfather was once a student of his, and folk tell tales of him surviving a bandit raid of him versus fourteen men. Master the shield and spear and you will be able to endure any encounter.

I must go now, the snows are reaching Dale and something tells me there is some taika in the air.

Näkemiin,

Isä
Fieranor of Imladris
LoreMaster
LoreMaster

Fellowship Phase ~ 2. Spending Experience Points

Unread post by Fieranor of Imladris » 20 Jun 2019, 12:23

This is the first of five milestone posts, concerning the specifics of the expenditure of any accrued Experience Points; this can be done while your Company is deciding to disband or remain together.

Experience Points are a form of in-game currency you earn through role-playing your character, including posting, coming up with various plans, schemes, and discussions that help move the game forward. The One Ring is a truly unique Role-Playing Game (RPG) in that the game system is centered more around telling stories than destroying every shadowy creature on the planet, collecting their loot, and then moving onto bigger and tougher things. You earn Experience which you are welcome to spend to improve several facets of your character ANY TIME you have the Experience necessary to improve something, not only during the Fellowship Phase; however, you may want to maintain the Experience you can for the Fellowship Phase, as there are things you cannot purchase during the Adventuring Phase, but will be helpful in further Phases.

Please open your character sheet (right-click the link and open in a new tab or window) and follow along; thank you.

Let’s discuss what you MAY be able to improve for your character and how. First, there are two types of XP in our game: Specific and General. Specific XP is given directly to Common and/or Weapon skills, Valor or Wisdom Characteristics, and/or your Attributes for exceptional use, dice rolls, and other factors I deem effective to gain XP. General XP is granted for things like excellent role-playing, making and executing plans, interactions with certain figures in the game, both friend and foe, telling an excellent story and/or making all of us laugh. Where Specific XP cannot be transferred away from the Skill, Characteristic, or Attribute it was awarded to, General XP MAY be used to augment Specific XP and/or make a complete purchase within Common and/or Weapon Skills, Masteries, Valor and/or Wisdom, and/or Attributes. The costs for these items are outlined after the description of the items themselves...
  • Common Skills ~ Eighteen skills exist within The One Ring and are known as Common Skills, such as Athletics, Craft, Hunting, Search, Song and Travel. These are found, on my custom-designed character record toward the right-middle of the page, under the proper header. Four of those skills, the underlined ones, are Favored, representing skills your Player-hero (PH) has a natural affinity for using, thus they are less expensive to improve than your other Common Skills. For example, Hunting that you are increasing from Rank 2 to 3 will cost 11 XP under the new system, while Hunting (notice the underline, denoting it is Favored) being increased from 2 to 3, because it’s a skill you’re more natural with using, will only cost 8 XP. For all of the skills, looking at the chart below, you will notice they increase in cost from Rank-to-Rank, and each Rank is purchased individually; thus, if you want to purchase Hunting up from 2 to 4, the cost would actually be 20 (8 XP for moving from Rank 2 to 3 PLUS 12 XP for moving from Rank 3 to 4).

• Weapon Skills ~ There are many Weapon Skills within The One Ring, such as Sword, (Sword), and Sword, along with Axes, Bows, Mattocks, and more. These are found at the lower-left of my custom character record, under the proper header. These skills are increased in the very same manner as Common Skills, though there is a different cost column for both standard and Favored Weapon Skills. What I wish to explain, here, is the difference between the notations which accompany some of your weapons. If you have a Sword, with no parenthesis or underline, that is a normal skill. With parenthesis you have a Cultural skill, meaning you may use ALL weapons of that type equally well; this skill is increased as with standard Weapon Skills. Finally, Favored Weapon Skills, those which are underlined, are increased as Favored skills, the cost being lower than standard Weapon Skills, but NOT affecting all weapons in the same group.

• Masteries ~ As your Hero grows in the course of the game, not only do they become better at the various arts available to them, but they may also master certain techniques for the Skill, Equipment, and/or Characteristic they use often. The Mastery remains for what it was purchased throughout the life of the Hero, as it represents special maneuvers, tactics, etc., and it is used as what’s known as a High-Low Success Dice, meaning the Mastery allows you to add one or more Success Die/Dice to the roll you’re making for that Skill, but you must remove the same number of lowest rolled dice when the roll is complete (ie – If I have Fear Mastery and Valor each at Rank 3, I not only roll my Valor dice to withstand a Fear effect, I roll 3 Mastery Dice with it, removing the lowest 3 Dice rolled). You may find Masteries as the M with a circle next to it on Common Skills, one for use of your Armor vs. Piercing Blows, three for resisting Blight, Sorcery, and/or Taint next to your Wisdom Characteristic, and a Fear Mastery box (maximum of 6 allowed) next to your Valor score; your Fear Mastery dice MUST NOT exceed your Hero’s Valor score. Except for Fear Mastery, only one die may be rolled in addition to the feat you're attempting to accomplish, if you have the Mastery. The cost of each Mastery, except for Fear, is 10; for Fear, follow the Rank-by-Rank increase as with Common and Weapon Skills in the chart, below.

• Valor/Wisdom Characteristics ~ Valor and Wisdom are two of the most important measures of your Hero’s strength of will and depth of knowledge and may be used in several places throughout the course of the game. Your increases here work the same as Common and Weapon Skills and Fear Mastery expenditures. However, once you gain Rank 2 in either Valor or Wisdom, you gain a Virtue or Mastery (for Wisdom) or a Reward or Quality (for Valor) for each new Rank in the Characteristic; use the Culture document (what you used to generate your Hero) to select your improvement from improving Valor or Wisdom.

• Attributes ~ The Rules as Written do not allow for the increase of Attributes; you get what you get during character generation and that’s it. I do not, of course, agree with this, and have developed a scheme whereby you may increase your Attributes. It’s expensive to do so and each Attribute may be improved no more than five times during the course of the game. When you improve an Attribute, make certain you place a pen mark, cat scratch, or check mark beneath that Attribute value, so we can keep score of it all.

Improvement Expenditures Table

Categories & Costs -->
Common Skills
Weapon Skills
Masteries
Valor/Wisdom
Attributes
<-- Categories & Costs
Rank, Rating, or Value
(Normal / Favored
Max. 6 Ranks, each)
(Normal / Favored
Max. 6 Ranks each)
(Fear Mastery
Max. 6 Ranks)
(Max. 6 Ranks each)
(Each Attribute Max. +5
from Char. Gen. Rating)
Rank, Rating, or Value
1 or Image
4 / 3
4 / 3
1 or Image
7 / 5
8 / 6
11 / 8
13 / 10
16 / 12
19 / 15
22 / 17
26 / 21
30 / 25
35 / 30

Once you figure out what you want to increase/improve and you tell me, so I can edit your Hero record, I will move onto Step 3. Disposition of Treasure and Found Items.
Artorius
Seeker
Seeker

Unread post by Artorius » 23 Jun 2019, 13:29

Evening,

May I increase to the next level:

Inspire - 7 Gen XP
Song - 4 Song XP 3 Gen XP

I think I did that right?
Fieranor of Imladris
LoreMaster
LoreMaster

Unread post by Fieranor of Imladris » 23 Jun 2019, 19:31

Right now Inspire is a Cultural Half-skill for Artorius; what that means is you have the ability to use one Success Die with your Feat Die, but you cannot count a 6 on that Success Die as a higher degree of success, as you would normally. So, Cultural Half-skills count as a zero Rank for expenditures, which means you would have to purchase first Rank at 4XP, first.

So, here's what you have... you could purchase the first two Ranks of Inspire for 11 xp total and wait to increase Song, leaving the 4 xp Specific to Song where it is. Or, you could purchase first Rank of Inspire for 4 and the second Rank of Song for 7, also for a total of 11 XP, leaving 4 in General. You could then purchase first Rank in Craft or a new Weapon Skill if you wanted.

I'll leave it up to you, my friend.
Artorius
Seeker
Seeker

Unread post by Artorius » 24 Jun 2019, 13:22

I am feeling rather inspiring! Please can I take out 2 marks of that skill please?
Fieranor of Imladris
LoreMaster
LoreMaster

Fellowship Phase ~ 5. Choosing an Undertaking

Unread post by Fieranor of Imladris » 24 Jun 2019, 14:47

"Did you ever know that you're my hero?! You Inspire me!" My friend, it's done. Now, onto the next...

You have no found items or excessive Treasure to deal with so I'm skipping Fellowship Phase ~ 3. Disposition of Treasure and Found Items. Your Standing at Tinnudir and with Calenglad is safe until 2952, so I'm also skipping Fellowship Phase ~ 4. Year-End Only: Standing Upkeep at Home, in a Sanctuary, or at a Holding.

Next, during each Fellowship Phase, when a player is done updating their Hero’s Skills, Characteristics, and/or Attributes, they may choose a task to undertake, to help stay busy and/or to build some manner of skill or advantage that can be used in the coming Adventure Phase, for the remainder of the Fellowship Phase.

Players are invited to exercise their creativity and find new and exciting ways to spend a Fellowship Phase. Often, players need look no further than the recently concluded Adventure Phase, as the story that was just completed might have provided several leads worth following, like a new friendship to consolidate or a new sanctuary or patron to be built up, or something to calm themselves from any recent fracas. Any activity that could have a lasting impact on a character can be considered an undertaking.

Normally, a player can choose one activity for their character to undertake. During a longer Fellowship Phase, such as the one at the end of each year, if the LoreMaster agrees, or sees the necessity of a second undertaking, the player may take a second undertaking for their Hero.

The following list of Fellowship Phase Undertakings is designed to either better fit your Player-hero, their destination and the culture amongst which they will live during the Fellowship Phase.

• Go to the Market - When your hero chooses this undertaking, you can spend 2 Treasure and select one of the options shown below to acquire an item that gives them a bonus of +1 to all rolls made using the corresponding skill. Each option can be taken up to two times, for a total bonus of +2 (representing an upgrade of the original item, or a new, additional item of the same type). This bonus is applied until you acquire a new level in the modified skill, then you lose the associated bonus, unless/until you purchase it, again.

For each two (2) Treasure you spend, select one of the following at +1, or +2 if you spend twice; you lose this bonus when you acquire a new Rank in the augmented skill, though you may purchase it, again,
    • Find a goldsmith to have precious stones set into your sword’s hilt, or gold wrought into a chain, torque, ring, or other piece of jewelery. Gain a bonus to Awe.

• Visit an ironmonger or a woodwright to buy fine tools appropriate to your favorite trade. Gain a bonus to Craft.

• Buy a musical instrument of superior make, be it a fiddle, a flute, a drum or a viol, or visit a master luthier to build you a new harp or lyre. Gain a bonus to Song.

• Learn how to prepare salves and healing herbs and acquire the necessary materials from a hospital healer. Gain a bonus to Healing.

• Buy robust rope, walking staves, comfortable sleeping cots and a regular supply of cram from a baker. Gain a bonus to Travel.

• Visit the shop of a tailor or shoemaker to have a rich dress or a pair of quality shoes made. Gain a bonus to Courtesy.

• Search the market to find a rare book or old map, or parchment, quills and ink for you to write. Gain a bonus to Lore.

• See a master hunter to get all you need for your hunting exploits. Gain a bonus to Hunting.

• Join the King’s Hunt - A character spending the Fellowship phase in Dale may choose this undertaking to join King Bard on his jaunts. The hero gains a deeper understanding of the wilds surrounding Dale and may roll an additional Feat die on their Travel rolls, keeping the highest, whenever they take the role of Huntsman during a journey that takes them through the Northern Dale-lands or the Upper Marches.

• Offer Counsel at the Royal Court - By spending the Fellowship phase sitting in council with the King and his advisors, the hero earns the admiration of the people of Dale. Their Courtesy skill is considered to be favored for the next year and their Standing in Dale counts as being 1 point higher (this would mean a Standing of 2 for the next year).

• Open New Sanctuary (Dale) - This undertaking cements your relations with the important personalities of the place.

• Raise Standard of Living - It costs 1 Treasure to spend one month at a Prosperous Standard of Living, and 2 Treasure to spend it at a Rich one. At the end of the month, the character must spend the amount again or revert to his previous Standard of Living. Players may invest as much Treasure as they like to maintain their characters at a higher Standard of Living for longer periods of time. It’s going to be four months until the snows will clear enough to leave Dale, again.

• Search for Answers – Being near an appropriate source of learning, be it a collection of scrolls of lore and song, a treasury of books and tablets, or a wise man or council of elders, they may choose this undertaking and research an obscure topic. When a companion chooses this undertaking, you first specify the subject you are researching; then, you make a Lore test, followed by a roll of the Feat die. This second roll is modified by +1 if the hero possesses an applicable Lore Specialty, +2 if the Lore roll was a great success, +4 if the Lore roll was an extraordinary success.

• Write a Letter - There's a LOT here, but I can outline a bit... When spending a Fellowship phase in a well-frequented sanctuary, companions may choose this undertaking and write a letter. There are several types of letters, serving different purposes, but they all require a Courtesy roll to be written, and a Feat die roll on the Letter delivery table. You also need to choose what sort of letter you intend to write:
    • I write to notify you of our impending arrival... (Letter of Introduction; increase encounter tolerance.)
    • I write in search of aid... (Letter of Supplication; increase aid or award for a successful encounter.)
    • I write to ask you to meet us at... (Letter of Appointment; arranges a meeting with a patron or ally.)
    • I may not return... (Letter of Farewell; increase heroic heritage for a follow-on character if the letter author dies during the course of the adventure.)

• Write a Song – There’s a LOT here, so see Rivendell Pg. 23.

Once you have decided which undertaking you wish to embark on, please post your plan in your character’s journal thread, so I can update your character sheet. If a second Fellowship Phase Undertaking is to be allowed, I will determine that and let you know so you can make a second choice from this same list. For your Fellowship Phase Undertaking(s), if you would like to write a story in your character’s journal thread about what they did for the phase, according to your understanding of it, may also benefit them with extra experience. As always, if you have questions about clarifying one or more undertakings, post them in this thread and let’s get out the bugs. Also, if you have an idea you glean inspiration from one of these undertakings for, write it up or let’s discuss it and I’ll see what can be done to alter the existing undertaking, or create a new one just for you; all of the existing FPUs are easy examples, but more can always be created.
Fieranor of Imladris
LoreMaster
LoreMaster

Unread post by Fieranor of Imladris » 26 Jun 2019, 14:08

Bryce, funny story... we, you and I, became so embroiled in the writing of letters and the telling of stories in this thread that I never did present you with your choice of Fellowship Phase Undertakings for post-"Don't Leave the Path"!!! Holy crap, :lol: . I was wondering why there was no FPU listed post-DLtP. Please feel free to choose one from the list, above, and I will record it, as I was supposed to, and then another one for the current FPU, please? I have not, yet, decided whether I will have everyone choose a second FPU for the current phase or not, so there MAY be another one, since the time-period you're all living through, now, is a little bit long for the season, but I'm not quite sure it's long enough to warrant a second FPU, or not.

I really do apologize about that, Bryce.
Artorius
Seeker
Seeker

Unread post by Artorius » 26 Jun 2019, 14:46

No worries, I was not aware anything was missing to begin with anyway! For my previous one, perhaps lets say I renewed my travel gear, bag and boots.

For this current one, I have an idea but will put it into words in another post with a short RP description, like Ed's but less of a wordsmith and more of a amateur paragraph or two :D
Fieranor of Imladris
LoreMaster
LoreMaster

Unread post by Fieranor of Imladris » 26 Jun 2019, 15:00

(snicks tongue loudly) Okay, go back here... viewtopic.php?p=15522#p15510 ... and select two, or tell me you want to do one twice, or whatever, please? This part is not about story, it's about the UNDERTAKING, hehe.
Artorius
Seeker
Seeker

Unread post by Artorius » 28 Jun 2019, 11:02

If I need to choose two I will choose Travel and Hunting if this is ok?
Fieranor of Imladris
LoreMaster
LoreMaster

Unread post by Fieranor of Imladris » 28 Jun 2019, 11:34

You don't want to join the King's Hunt or Offer Counsel at Court or Open Dale as a Sanctuary or Search for Answers or Write a Letter (I thought for sure this one would get you), or work on the song you were trying to write? You don't want any of that stuff; nothing appeals?
Artorius
Seeker
Seeker

Unread post by Artorius » 29 Jun 2019, 06:50

I am a little confused... you tell me that I need to choose from "Don't Leave the Path" which I choose "Travel". I then said I would write something in a few days after thinking about my new one. But then I get the message I need to select 2 for "Don't Leave the Path" instead of 1. So I selected those 2 for that phase. I was gonna add something later on for Dragontide.
I am missing the plot completely?
Fieranor of Imladris
LoreMaster
LoreMaster

Unread post by Fieranor of Imladris » 29 Jun 2019, 22:28

Artorius wrote:
29 Jun 2019, 06:50
I am a little confused... you tell me that I need to choose from "Don't Leave the Path" which I choose "Travel". I then said I would write something in a few days after thinking about my new one. But then I get the message I need to select 2 for "Don't Leave the Path" instead of 1. So I selected those 2 for that phase. I was gonna add something later on for Dragontide.
I am missing the plot completely?

Yes. I imagine I didn't explain very well; perhaps if I go step-by-step I can make sure I don't miss anything.

When we finished Don't Leave the Path, we did not complete your Fellowship Phase for Artorius after that Adventure. A Fellowship Phase comes between Adventure Phases, it's not a PART of the Adventure Phase, though. So, because the Fellowship Phase Undertakings listed above, in this thread, are the same as those listed for that Fellowship Phase, I wanted you to go through the list, above, and select a Fellowship Phase Undertaking.

Then, because we just completed Dragontide and the First Gathering of the Five Armies, I've assigned a Fellowship Phase AFTER that, and I am asking you to choose another Undertaking from that same list.

Your Fellowship Phase Undertakings have almost nothing to do with Skills, so if you're thinking this is a Skill improvement, it may have something to help a skill, but is not about skills in and of itself. You have eight possible Undertakings to choose from, and I'm repeating that list, below...

Fieranor of Imladris wrote:
24 Jun 2019, 14:47
  • Go to the Market - When your hero chooses this undertaking, you can spend 2 Treasure and select one of the options shown below to acquire an item that gives them a bonus of +1 to all rolls made using the corresponding skill. Each option can be taken up to two times, for a total bonus of +2 (representing an upgrade of the original item, or a new, additional item of the same type). This bonus is applied until you acquire a new level in the modified skill, then you lose the associated bonus, unless/until you purchase it, again.

For each two (2) Treasure you spend, select one of the following at +1, or +2 if you spend twice; you lose this bonus when you acquire a new Rank in the augmented skill, though you may purchase it, again,
    • Find a goldsmith to have precious stones set into your sword’s hilt, or gold wrought into a chain, torque, ring, or other piece of jewelery. Gain a bonus to Awe.

• Visit an ironmonger or a woodwright to buy fine tools appropriate to your favorite trade. Gain a bonus to Craft.

• Buy a musical instrument of superior make, be it a fiddle, a flute, a drum or a viol, or visit a master luthier to build you a new harp or lyre. Gain a bonus to Song.

• Learn how to prepare salves and healing herbs and acquire the necessary materials from a hospital healer. Gain a bonus to Healing.

• Buy robust rope, walking staves, comfortable sleeping cots and a regular supply of cram from a baker. Gain a bonus to Travel.

• Visit the shop of a tailor or shoemaker to have a rich dress or a pair of quality shoes made. Gain a bonus to Courtesy.

• Search the market to find a rare book or old map, or parchment, quills and ink for you to write. Gain a bonus to Lore.

• See a master hunter to get all you need for your hunting exploits. Gain a bonus to Hunting.

• Join the King’s Hunt - A character spending the Fellowship phase in Dale may choose this undertaking to join King Bard on his jaunts. The hero gains a deeper understanding of the wilds surrounding Dale and may roll an additional Feat die on their Travel rolls, keeping the highest, whenever they take the role of Huntsman during a journey that takes them through the Northern Dale-lands or the Upper Marches.

• Offer Counsel at the Royal Court - By spending the Fellowship phase sitting in council with the King and his advisors, the hero earns the admiration of the people of Dale. Their Courtesy skill is considered to be favored for the next year and their Standing in Dale counts as being 1 point higher (this would mean a Standing of 2 for the next year).

• Open New Sanctuary (Dale) - This undertaking cements your relations with the important personalities of the place.

• Raise Standard of Living - It costs 1 Treasure to spend one month at a Prosperous Standard of Living, and 2 Treasure to spend it at a Rich one. At the end of the month, the character must spend the amount again or revert to his previous Standard of Living. Players may invest as much Treasure as they like to maintain their characters at a higher Standard of Living for longer periods of time. It’s going to be four months until the snows will clear enough to leave Dale, again.

• Search for Answers – Being near an appropriate source of learning, be it a collection of scrolls of lore and song, a treasury of books and tablets, or a wise man or council of elders, they may choose this undertaking and research an obscure topic. When a companion chooses this undertaking, you first specify the subject you are researching; then, you make a Lore test, followed by a roll of the Feat die. This second roll is modified by +1 if the hero possesses an applicable Lore Specialty, +2 if the Lore roll was a great success, +4 if the Lore roll was an extraordinary success.

• Write a Letter - There's a LOT here, but I can outline a bit... When spending a Fellowship phase in a well-frequented sanctuary, companions may choose this undertaking and write a letter. There are several types of letters, serving different purposes, but they all require a Courtesy roll to be written, and a Feat die roll on the Letter delivery table. You also need to choose what sort of letter you intend to write:
    • I write to notify you of our impending arrival... (Letter of Introduction; increase encounter tolerance.)
    • I write in search of aid... (Letter of Supplication; increase aid or award for a successful encounter.)
    • I write to ask you to meet us at... (Letter of Appointment; arranges a meeting with a patron or ally.)
    • I may not return... (Letter of Farewell; increase heroic heritage for a follow-on character if the letter author dies during the course of the adventure.)

• Write a Song – There’s a LOT here, so see Rivendell Pg. 23.
Artorius
Seeker
Seeker

Unread post by Artorius » 30 Jun 2019, 01:23

Out-of-Character Thank you for the more detail response. I have an idea for a letter, but I am not sure if it would be allowed. I will write it and then can see if this works or if its not allowed due to it being a past letter, if you get my drift.

Evael lies on a simple bed which is pooled in moonlight, her weak body is unable now to walk but she has just enough strength to lift a letter which was placed on her bedside cabinet earlier when she was sleeping. The letter only reads her name written in a scratch of handwriting and sealed with a simple wax thumb imprint. Her heart skips a beat and most likely not due to her illness.

Taking a great effort to open the missive, she manages to break the seal and slide out the contents onto the bed. Fortunately a lone candle still stands lit throwing out enough light to allow her to read the letters contents. Time stands still...

My very dear Evael: The indications are very strong that we shall move in a few days — perhaps tomorrow. Lest I should not be able to write again, I feel impelled to write a few lines that may fall under your eye when I shall be no more …

I have no misgivings about, or lack of confidence in the cause in which I am engaged, and my courage does not halt or falter. I know our ancestors played a great part in the shaping of Middle Earth and how great a debt we owe to those who went before us through the blood and sufferings of the past evils and wars which have plagued these lands. And I am willing — perfectly willing — to lay down all my joys in this life, to help maintain this peace, and to pay that debt.

Evael, my love for you is deathless, and yet my love of this land and our future generations comes over me like a strong wind and bears me unresistibly on with all these chains to the battle field.

The memories of the blissful moments I have spent with you come creeping over me, and I feel most gratified to the land and to you that I have enjoyed them for so long. And hard it is for me to give them up and burn to ashes the hopes of future years, when, hope willing, we might still have lived and loved together, and seen our children grown up into a prosperous adultshood. I steel my thoughts and my heart with that of hope, that I shall return to my loved ones unharmed. If I do not my dear Evael, never forget how much I love you, and when my last breath escapes me on the battle field, it will whisper your name.

With all my love,

Arphenion

Tears drip down her cheek and stain the papers, causing the ink to smear on the senders name. She held the letter close to her failing heart as she sunk down into the bed and smiled mornfully. It was not long now, she knew, how unfair it all was. She recalled something her love once said during an argument- "There will always be a conflicted, there will always be a battlefield." and he was right. She could not continue to lament, there was no energy left, no time to dwell on evil things. Her last breath came from her smiled lips, the letter was a farewell but unknowst to the sender it would be her who would pass and not him. She breathed a final goodbye in Sindarin, words she once wrote to him, and sent them into the Winters night... "I'll always be there with you. I'll always be watching you, If I'm gone - Don't mourn me. I'll be always watching over thee."