(Ellisidil) the Eagle of Wilderland - Dan F

If you have a character in our game, you will find their journal in this area, as well as some stickied threads near the top of the list for songs and stories. As well Player-heroes (PHs), as they are called in The One Ring, have some basic information here concerning how to build them. A journal means you have the opportunity to develop your character's depth to help you be able to get into them, even in a slow-flow forum-based setting such as our game. Have fun with it... using your journal and helping the group with songs may even lead you to gaining experience for posting about them.
Fieranor of Imladris
LoreMaster
LoreMaster
Melee APs: 4
Stealth APs: 4

Re: the Eagle (Ellisidil) of Wilderland - Dan F

Unread post by Fieranor of Imladris » 24 Feb 2019, 20:49

Yep, good point, :) .

What is your next step with Ellisidil?
Ellisidil
Apprentice
Apprentice
Journey Role: Scout (P)

Unread post by Ellisidil » 27 Feb 2019, 10:33

I am trying to work with Frerin to figure out a couple of things, one what is the master, is he dragon sickness or wraith, and to find out what history and story might the sword and shield has.
Fieranor of Imladris
LoreMaster
LoreMaster

Unread post by Fieranor of Imladris » 27 Feb 2019, 12:42

Ellisidil wrote:
27 Feb 2019, 10:33
I am trying to work with Frerin to figure out a couple of things, one what is the master, is he dragon sickness or wraith, and to find out what history and story might the sword and shield has.
It's probably just better to stick with talking about the sword and shield. You've heard enough in the week or two you've been in Esgaroth, and now Dale, not to mention what you heard from Baldor while on the rafts between the Elf-king's Halls and Esgaroth, to have some understanding of the other things, as outlined, below.

A Master is something like what, in the Woodmen villages, would be called a Hero of the Woodmen, or a Warlord; it would be a title of nobility or leadership.

Dragon-sickness is an illness of the mind, for when someone is taken by treasure of all kinds, their mind absolutely bent upon it, and they would do anything for it. It would not cause someone to become a wraith, as it's only an insanity... a wraith is a creature that is not to be believed, in the minds of the Free People's of Middle-earth, anyway. Only an adventurer who has come across a wraith would understand what a wraith is and, if they actually defeated one, how to defeat it. Anyone who is not an adventurer, and the non-adventurers are going to be 99.95% of the population, will not understand and could never believe whether or not wraith's are real. Let's put it this way... of all the people of Middle-earth who stood against the Nine, against Sauron and Sarumon, including the Battle's for Helm's Deep and Minas Tirith, they were able to insulate the wider world from those going's on.

At the end of the third Hobbit movie, the people of Bag End demonstrated their ignorance of what had taken place to free Erebor, slay the Dragon, and loose Rhovanion from slavery... they hadn't the foggiest idea anything at all had taken place, nor would they be inclined to believe the tales told to them that had bounced halfway around the world to their ears, because it didn't take place in their back yard. Communication only goes so far, and the telephone game would be in full swing, before the "telephone game" was even known. So, completely truthful hard facts proceeding from the first-hand accounts of people who participated, by the time six months or more and a thousand miles of travel will have gone by, the completely inaccurate outright prevarications and half-truths from hundreds of people who were not even remotely close to the event site sharing the "tale" would be all that's received.

The NIMBY effect, or Not In My Back Yard, would also be terribly in effect, and even if a whole truth reached their ears from someone who WAS there, such as Bilbo, it would be discounted as myth, if it even was allowed to happen at all. I mean, how can a place so beautiful as all of the Shire ever see any war at all, right?
Ellisidil
Apprentice
Apprentice

Unread post by Ellisidil » 27 Feb 2019, 18:44

Thank You. The dragon sickness that I meant was from our most recent of adventures, if that makes sense, isn't that what you said that those creatures had?
Fieranor of Imladris
LoreMaster
LoreMaster

Unread post by Fieranor of Imladris » 27 Feb 2019, 21:21

Yes, sir, that's correct. For the Marsh-dweller's, however, it's more of a racial trait than an actual sickness, hehe. Did you see the music video about the Mewlips... those are the Marsh-dweller's referenced in The Marsh-bell.
Ellisidil
Apprentice
Apprentice

Unread post by Ellisidil » 09 Mar 2019, 11:44

Paul, what is it I have to do to start looking for information, where do I go, already put my thoughts in the forum, do I need to roll, walk through and talk with different people, etc?
Fieranor of Imladris
LoreMaster
LoreMaster

Unread post by Fieranor of Imladris » 09 Mar 2019, 14:20

Good afternoon, Dan, how the heck are ya? :)

To get started with researching your Lion-head Sword and, hopefully, the Shield presently in Frerin's possession, you would need to see an armorer or, better, an armor historian if you can find one, somewhere in Lake-town, Dale, or Erebor. I would presume you wish to remain close to Dale so Frerin's Raven can find you, right?

Finding an artisan's district in any of those places is fairly easy, just ask around. It's once you're there that you might run into problems. What specific information are you looking for about the Sword? Are you trying to narrow down a time-period during which it was constructed and/or used? Are you trying to research the markings on the sword, who it may have belonged to, which family or individual? Ask me questions about what you're seeking, perhaps do some armory research yourself, and then we can better determine any necessary die rolls.
Ellisidil
Apprentice
Apprentice

Unread post by Ellisidil » 12 Mar 2019, 10:22

Paul, I have done some research and I have a few questions.
the sword actually got a lion head on the pommel like at the very end, or is it like most swords that have a circle and a lion head on the circle?
Is the point of balance better or worse than my own sword?
Would I care what the make up of the Sword is?
The research I have done points to this being a royal sword of some kind, but it has also pointed to this sword having the power to slay witches and the like, so what does that mean for our game?
Fieranor of Imladris
LoreMaster
LoreMaster

Unread post by Fieranor of Imladris » 12 Mar 2019, 14:22

Ellisidil wrote:
12 Mar 2019, 10:22
Paul, I have done some research and I have a few questions.
the sword actually got a lion head on the pommel like at the very end, or is it like most swords that have a circle and a lion head on the circle?
My apologies for the late response, but this didn't come through my email at 8:22 this morning, as the time stamp says.

The pommel has a pointed round, actually... sort of like the dangerous end of a nail, but about an inch in diameter, which goes directly from the handle end of the sword into the pommel. It's the symbol on the rain-guard, which lays across the cross-guard. The lion's head forms a rough circle, but it is not within a circle, itself. Two halves were made, mirror to one-another, each poured into a form, and then securely fastened to one another.

Is the point of balance better or worse than my own sword?
Better, but not my much.

Would I care what the make up of the Sword is?
I suppose that depends on your intended use? Were you going to make it a gift for someone else? Is it meant to be mounted on a wall in your eventual home or in Rhosgobel? Or, do you intend to keep it for yourself? If it's to be a gift or mounted at home, I suppose you wouldn't really care. However, if you intend to get rid of your other sword and use this one as your primary melee weapon, then you might want to have a clue.

The research I have done points to this being a royal sword of some kind, but it has also pointed to this sword having the power to slay witches and the like, so what does that mean for our game?
Hmmm, did I ever say it had the power to slay witches, or was that your supposition? I think all I told you was this sword might have once belonged to a Northman before Eorl the Young and the Horse-lords of the North, before they traveled to Calenhardon to aid Gondor, and that it has a lion's head on it which may point to some manner of possession by a noble family. :)
Ellisidil
Apprentice
Apprentice

Unread post by Ellisidil » 12 Mar 2019, 18:12

Paul, Thank you for answering, and no you never said anything about witches, the research I did said so, I was just clarifying because the research also talked about spirits as well. The reason I was wondering what it was made of is that I wanted to see if I could use it as my melee weapon. I was only going to mount it at my house after my adventures. So yes I am going to know if it is sharp, how well the foible is and what the sword is made of. I would also like to know for whom this sword (household) was made for. Because this may determine whether or not I return it to said house.
Fieranor of Imladris
LoreMaster
LoreMaster

Unread post by Fieranor of Imladris » 12 Mar 2019, 22:47

Ellisidil wrote:
12 Mar 2019, 18:12
... the research I did said so, I was just clarifying because the research also talked about spirits as well.
Crap, is this something I've told you and I've forgotten it. I'm sorry, Danny, my memory is fer-caca on some things, especially if it was something we did before the hiatus. If so, would you please remind me, with links to posts if you have them?

The reason I was wondering what it was made of is that I wanted to see if I could use it as my melee weapon. I was only going to mount it at my house after my adventures. So yes I am going to know if it is sharp, how well the foible is and what the sword is made of.
Alright, these things are easy to determine... yes, the weapon is usable, but it was supposed to have more of a ceremonial/uniform-wear purpose. In game terms, the artisan weaponmaster you're able to take the sword to tells you it is no better and no worse than a standard Long Sword. However, he also tells you that the historical markings make it more than a ceremonial weapon but he doesn't have the knowledge to find it, and there is some Dwarf-work involved in the pommel and handle of the sword.

I would also like to know for whom this sword (household) was made for. Because this may determine whether or not I return it to said house.
Okay, this is going to take actual academic research, and there are none in Dale able to help you. Again, he points out the Dwarf work might be a potential lead to learning that identity but, since he's never been allowed inside Erebor, he can't tell you for sure.

I don't know if these things help you or not, Danny, but it's a step closer to finding out the truth.
Ellisidil
Apprentice
Apprentice

Unread post by Ellisidil » 14 Mar 2019, 11:15

Hey Paul, you said to do my research on swords (lion head) and on one of the websites (probably SCI FI) they talked about this type of sword being one to protect and fight against several different types of creatures. You never mentioned that in any of the forums or talks we've had. Since we are going to the Lonely Mountain, I think the rest of this will be answered. I do want to let you know that if I am asked to give this up (reward maybe) I would like some better daggers (lighter and better balanced) and some arrow tips because another long sword might be out of the picture.
Ellisidil
Apprentice
Apprentice

Unread post by Ellisidil » 14 Mar 2019, 11:18

If you want to talk I am online and in roll20
Ellisidil
Apprentice
Apprentice

Unread post by Ellisidil » 15 Mar 2019, 08:36

I have a question, Looking up relics yesterday, very interesting finds, I am thinking though you mean in the very strictest sense of the word. No magical properties whatsoever? Just an heirloom?
Fieranor of Imladris
LoreMaster
LoreMaster

Unread post by Fieranor of Imladris » 15 Mar 2019, 09:08

Correct. That doesn't mean something can't happen, later, but it's going to take some manner of great deed. Like Balin told Bilbo, "Weapons are named for their great deeds in battle." It may just be that this sword hasn't seen that sort of battle, yet; being a ceremonial sword, more or less, that would be about right. However, if you still want to learn the history of it... we can still play through that.