(Ellisidil) the Eagle of Wilderland - Dan F

If you have a character in our game, you will find their journal in this area, as well as some stickied threads near the top of the list for songs and stories. As well Player-heroes (PHs), as they are called in The One Ring, have some basic information here concerning how to build them. A journal means you have the opportunity to develop your character's depth to help you be able to get into them, even in a slow-flow forum-based setting such as our game. Have fun with it... using your journal and helping the group with songs may even lead you to gaining experience for posting about them.
Fieranor of Imladris
LoreMaster
LoreMaster
Melee APs: 4
Stealth APs: 4

Re: the Eagle (Ellisidil) of Wilderland - Dan F

Unread post by Fieranor of Imladris » 25 Oct 2016, 11:28

The massive bird takes a long moment; if any animal could ever be seen as gathering its thoughts, you might wonder if this is what is what it would look like. Then he speaks, his voice low and wise,

"In Rhosgobel, Woodmen-town, Woodland Hall, and even Firienseld where your mountain kin are, your people have begun to become destructive and disrespectful. My Eagle's take little for their meals, and those who work the fields of the Great River and the farms within the Eaves of Mirkwood have begun to keep watches in the night, when we attempt to come quietly and feed, and fire arrows at us. This must not stand." Becoming obviously angry, Thorondine raises his voice when he continues,

"My people have protected your lands in this area since the twilight of what Gandalf Stormcrow calls the Second Age. We watched as Eorl, King of the Horse-lords, enticed south to fight for Calenardhon, took all with him and left behind little settlements and farms. We watched your people grow from those settlements and take to the Greenwood, watched them build and toil, watched as they rode the currents of their sky away from the wood, then to sew within it, and away again as the Deceiver was chased away nearly a millennia ago, and returned to reclaim what he felt was his at Amon Lanc. We protected them when they could be reached within the River Valley, when we could have eaten them, and we punished any who stole a child for their dinner, as we worked hard to ensure the valley was safe from all manner of Sauron's evil.

"We continue to this day, and yet... and, yet..." he seems to be trying on the words, perhaps attempting to pick the correct path, "only in the past decade have your people begun to loose arrows at us as we stayed within the compact my Father, Thorondor and I have sworn to uphold. It seemed that pact was understood, if not spoken of, by all. But now..." The massive Eagle turns to look at you, again, still genuflecting in some fashion, and he nods for you to stand, his voice more calm than a moment ago,

"If your people do not stop loosing arrows upon us, I will no longer hold back my Eagle's from taking their fill, or we shall find better hunting grounds. Trust has been broken, the unspoken compact between us has been abandoned, and it must be restored, as we have a mandate from Eru Illuvatar to remain in Middle-earth, to help protect that which he holds dear, though we are not required to perform it, here.

"Part of the reason, I believe, that the compact is held in abeyance is that your settlements within the trees little more than two decades past, are no longer within those trees, or are on the very border of the Eaves of Mirkwood. Seedlings abound, and it may be that Mirkwood may be healed by planting new where old has been swept aside.

"Do you understand these things I ask of you, Ellisidil the Eagle?"
Ellisidil
Apprentice
Apprentice
Journey Role: Scout (P)

Unread post by Ellisidil » 26 Oct 2016, 05:11

Taking a few minutes to think, Ellisidil begins by saying, "King, I do understand and accept. Since this is a big task, but one I would gladly take on, especially since it has been mutually beneficial. This task, Great King. will take some time and I want do this as effectively as I can. I will also ask my fellow countrymen to start planting trees nearby so that they can help out with the healing of the forest. I will also ask that they let a few of their cows, goats, and sheep free to roam in the great vale so that the Eagles can have a few of these for food,and we will continue to do so until we hear differently from you or your emissaries. Would this be acceptable to the Eagles? And Great King, would there be anything else that I can do for you?"
Fieranor of Imladris
LoreMaster
LoreMaster

Unread post by Fieranor of Imladris » 26 Oct 2016, 19:47

Thorondine takes several long moments to process what you have said, slowly nodding in agreement,

"Yes, this will help to restore the balance. Tolliver!" The Lord of the Eagle's bellows the name of the Dwarf, who appears as if from no where. In his left hand, held tightly between his stubby pinky and ring fingers is a scroll, some manner of parchment though you cannot tell the writing on it or within it, yet. Also, held up by his right, near the base, and his left at the upper-middle, is some manner of armor dummy -you've seen these before, little more than a few large diameter sticks to represent the body, shoulders, arms and a large carven round wooden ball for its head. Across the shoulders you see your armor, the very armor you were attempting to find to put on just moments ago, and were told to leave it, and it has been improved.

"Your birthright, by name given you by your parents in honor of my people, was to prove, on coming of age, that you are a Man worthy of that name. This is your armor, made lighter by the smithing talents of young Tolliver, here," he gives deference to the stolid Dwarf, who remains silent and simply nods, though his eyes never leave you. None of your straps or attachments have been altered, unless it was necessary to aid in making the armor easier to use.

"Wear it in good health, friend of the Eagle's.

"Gwaihir will return you to the shelf, below, upon his return. Hast thou any questions of me?"
Ellisidil
Apprentice
Apprentice

Unread post by Ellisidil » 27 Oct 2016, 13:25

Out-of-Character I was not quite expecting this, I got goose bumps when you announced this.
"Great King," Ellisidil says, "I am thankful for this gift and will do my very utmost to complete this mission, and no I have no further questions."
Fieranor of Imladris
LoreMaster
LoreMaster

Unread post by Fieranor of Imladris » 27 Oct 2016, 15:16

Ellisidil wrote:
Out-of-Character I was not quite expecting this, I got goose bumps when you announced this.
Out-of-Character GRIN!
"Great King," Ellisidil says, "I am thankful for this gift and will do my very utmost to complete this mission, and no I have no further questions."
Landroval busts the top of the Eyrie with a loud shriek, perhaps enough to make you jump, as he's near to you when this happens. You hear the orneriness in his laughter as he flares and lands hard and close to you. The dust is enough to make you cough a bit as you move to take your armor and don it.

"m'Lord Eagle, are you ready to go?" Seeing that you are working with your armor, his answer apparent he backs off and waits.

"We were expecting Gwaihir..."

"Yes, my King, he asked for your pardon. He has gone to Rivendell to speak with Glorfindel; a Raven returned with a message from him, this morning, and my Brother has gone to hold counsel with him." Thorondine nods a couple of times to acknowledge and, in the same motion, pardon the Wind-lord for failing to meet his summons.

As you signal your readiness to leave, silently, Thorondine speaks, again,

"The world has ever been at war with itself, whether among the Free People or between them and nature, or between nature and them against the Shadow of Morgoth and Sauron. He waits, yet, and a doom is set in his mind for all of us; it has been since his birthing. Enjoy the life you have, Manling, but wait for none and care for the wickedness of the Enemy, for he will strike at will, and only you and your companions, those of like-mind, Elrond, Númonor's Rangers of the North, and the World of Men will stop them. The Dwarves are very powerful, but their number dwindles, and Elrond's folk seek in sadness to return to the West, to their own safety as they too dwindle." He turns to look at you, then, "And my people will not be here for much longer, despite Manwe's desires. Spread the word of what I have told you, Ellisidil; we may yet survive, but the days of Shadow will begin to lengthen again, soon, and we must prepare to bring light.

"Fair thee well, Son of the Greenwood." He speaks no more, after that, bursting into the air on wings so powerful even Landroval is forced to cover his face with a wing. Then, it's your turn, and the Great Eagle you ride returns you to the visitor's shelf from when you came no less than a half-hour before the sun and three hours, before. You are famished.
Out-of-Character Dan, unless you have more to comment on with me, I think this pretty well concludes our RP, here. I'm very happy if you were able to enjoy it; that's my payday, right there. :) They still await you in Moro's journal thread, if you've not already commented, there? If you have, disregard this.
Fieranor of Imladris
LoreMaster
LoreMaster

Unread post by Fieranor of Imladris » 21 Dec 2016, 14:59

Alright... you are caught up to everything I was going to use to help you develop Ellisidil a bit more, everything up to the new stuff in The Adventurer's Companion. The only thing I might recommend is that you go through this thread from the beginning, read what you've written, and write some bullet-points on paper -whether you transpose them to the end of this thread, or edit your initial post is up to you- for ease of reference.

So, let's break into the AC and see what else you might be able to put together for him...

It's a big deal to you when you leave your people -many cultures are fairly closed-off from the world- and journey into the Wild to help others. You and your companions will be looked at suspiciously every place you visit, at least until you begin to be known as good folk, and not opportunistic brigands. So, to leave home and take up the road, your motivations would have to be pretty strong. When you selected your Calling, which is arguably the most important selection you made, you began into a part of your character that should guide them most along that road, which helps shape how your character will grow through the course of our game. Calling's were left broad of definition on purpose, to allow you wide latitude in defining how that Calling will affect your Player-hero.

Where does a Warden’s desire to protect others spring from? Why does a Treasure Hunter seek out wealth — open greed, or a desire to find a particular lost artefact? What loss drives a Slayer? Does a Scholar seek to learn a specific secret or sample many lores? Why does a Leader feel she must guide others? What does a Wanderer hope to discover?

Your Calling also determines your Shadow-weakness, what actions, things, or events you will be most susceptible to, which could eventually lead to your fall. You should consider what their character thinks about their “darker side” or if they are even yet aware they have one. A few folk are highly critical of themselves, considering every action carefully, while others live only in the moment. Some players may well wish to consider what the first Flaw is for their companion’s Shadow Weakness (long before they actually have it) and occasionally shade a touch of it into their personality.

For example, a Scholar may disdain what some simple farmers have to say, for “what could they know” (Haughty) but soon allow herself to be convinced by their arguments. An otherwise kindly Warden may occasionally grumble about “the incompetents” (Resentful) he has to watch out for. He clearly speaks in jest and lightly, but the comments are there, all the same...

The idea behind creating a back story for your character is that you leave it open for modification, for story-telling; note that while there is no requirement for consistency in this game, being able to tell the same story later down the road -or even being able to differ from reality when telling a certain story later- can turn out to be helpful, but requires note-keeping.

Keep in mind that your character's history is based from both their chosen Background and their Calling, modified as these may become; remember the narrative you have for your Calling and Background are the ideal set forth by the authors of the game, not the end-all or be-all that you are required to stick to, meaning you're welcome to deviate, as long as the truth of your character can be read and seen as remaining in the framework of the given Background and Calling.

That being said, you may have to weave tales from time-to-time which address a Common or Weapon Skill you're proficient in, how you're able to do some of the amazing things you do -where do these come from-, why you are the way you are as defined by your traits, and more.

So, while you're not required to make a definition of everything on your character sheet, perhaps pick a really good tale for two or three of your more prominent abilities and work up bullet points or write paragraphs or draw a picture, whatever will help you express those two or three abilities in a more common story. You've done some of that, already, but those are less specific, more world general items. When you tell me you're done with that part, whether writing something or passing to the next part, we'll move onto helping define your character Archetype.
Fieranor of Imladris
LoreMaster
LoreMaster

Fellowship Phase ~ 2. Spending Experience Points

Unread post by Fieranor of Imladris » 09 Jan 2019, 14:55

This post begins the second step of the Fellowship Phase, the first being Destination, which has been posted in the most recent OOC thread, but this post is the first of five milestone posts regarding the Fellowship Phase and concerns the expenditure of any accrued Experience. While your Company is deciding whether you will remain together or temporarily disband, there are some steps of the Fellowship Phase which can be taken care of, now, as they do not require you to be in any particular location to make them happen; nor must they absolutely be done in any particular sequence.

Experience Points are a form of in-game currency you earn through role-playing your character, including posting, coming up with various plans, schemes, and discussions that help move the game forward. The One Ring is a truly unique Role-Playing Game (RPG) in that the game system is centered more around telling stories than destroying every shadowy creature on the planet, collecting their loot, and then moving onto bigger and tougher things. However, you still earn Experience that is spent to improve your character in several ways at any time you have the Experience necessary to improve something, not only during the Fellowship Phase; however, you may want to maintain the Experience you can for the Fellowship Phase, as there are things you cannot purchase during the Adventuring Phase, but will be helpful in further Phases.

Please open your character sheet and follow along; thank you.

There are a few things you can improve on your Player-hero (PH) in our game that are not standard to The One Ring: Attributes, Valor or Wisdom, Weapon and/or Common Skills, and Mastery’s. The cost of each of these is based on the rating you’re intending to take your character to; ie – if you have Rank 2 in Hunting and wish to take it to Rank 3, and it’s NOT a favored skill, you would look under the Common Skills, look at the left-side of that column, the non-favored side, and you would find the cost is 12, not 9. Watch the columns for costs, and pay attention to the lines beneath the headers to understand which side of the column of numbers you need to take your cost for improvement from. Anything marked with “* * * * * * * * * *” is not available to you to choose from. Anything marked as a Mastery or with an M next to the XP block can be purchased for 10xp each and allow you to have a High-low Success-die (HLSD) to use on the skill whenever you roll it; an HLSD allows you to roll an additional Success die above the rating of your Skill or Characteristic and then remove an equal number of Success die/dice that rolled lower. Fear Mastery may be taken a maximum of six (6) times. I have divorced Masteries from Fellowship Phase requirements, and they may be purchased as part of your Experience Point expenditures, instead.

Look carefully at the front page of your character record; Attributes, Valor and Wisdom ratings are represented only by numbers, while Common and Weapon Skill ratings are represented by diamonds, between one and six. As with the above example, if Hunting skill has only two of the diamonds filled in, that means the skill is at Rank 2. The following chart gives you costs for all of the items you can improve through Experience Points in our game; please make your decisions thoughtfully and then post your desires in this thread. Once I have these, I will move onto Step 3, Disposition of Treasure and Found Items.

Attribute
Cost
Valor/Wisdom
Cost
Weapon Skills
Cost
Common Skills
Cost
Rank or
Value
(Max +5 any
Attr. Cumul.)
(Normal/
Rangers & High Elves)
(Normal/
Rangers & High Elves)
(Normal/
Favored)
3 / 4
4 / 3
6 / 9
5 / 7
8 / 6
9 / 13
8 / 11
12 / 9
15 / 21
12 / 17
16 / 12
24 / 31
20 / 26
20 / 15
39 / 48
32 / 40
24 / 18
Ellisidil
Apprentice
Apprentice

Unread post by Ellisidil » 17 Jan 2019, 22:42

so how do I do the rolls again in roll 20 it has been awhile
Fieranor of Imladris
LoreMaster
LoreMaster

Unread post by Fieranor of Imladris » 19 Jan 2019, 23:08

There are no rolls for you to make for anything right now.
Ellisidil
Apprentice
Apprentice

Unread post by Ellisidil » 25 Jan 2019, 08:31

getting caught up...so how do I find out about the history of my sword and shield...I also want to catch up on any fletching (for building arrows) that I may have missed...
Ellisidil
Apprentice
Apprentice

Unread post by Ellisidil » 25 Jan 2019, 08:45

Okay, I am wondering and have a question, do I have any experience points to upgrade awe, and courtesy to 1 each? If not I can understand. but it seems like I have some in healing and lore but I don't know if I have enough to upgrade them as well. I also see I have some xp in Wisdom, is it enough to move forward? I have questions about that and would be willing to talk on roll 20
Fieranor of Imladris
LoreMaster
LoreMaster

Unread post by Fieranor of Imladris » 25 Jan 2019, 10:04

Ellisidil wrote:
25 Jan 2019, 08:31
getting caught up...so how do I find out about the history of my sword and shield...I also want to catch up on any fletching (for building arrows) that I may have missed...
Dan, good morning. It's great to hear from you, Cousin. Finding out about the sword and shield... you've read about all the going's on in Esgaroth and Dale, yes? The feasting and festivities?

Well, we need to get your Fellowship Phase done, which is in this thread, believe it or not, which you would not have the ability to find out anything about your Sword and Shield while in Esgaroth with, but after your Fellowship Phase, once you figure out what has been improved, you could start some role-playing where, perhaps, you go to the Artisans' District, which I've outlined in the text in the main thread, and see if you can find someone who might be able to help.
Ellisidil wrote:Okay, I am wondering and have a question, do I have any experience points to upgrade awe, and courtesy to 1 each? If not I can understand.
To put this simply, you have a lot of choices you have to make, so I'm going to outline them as follows...

• You could improve Awe and Courtesy to one rank each for 4 XP each; being non-Favored they cost 4 each rather than 3 each. You have no skill-specific XP, so all of that would come from the 8 General XP you have (study your character sheet and you will find it).

~OR~

• You could improve Healing to rank 4, but only because it's Favored and costs less than non-Favored, but it would cost all 6 of your skill-specific XP PLUS 6 of your 8 General XP, leaving you 2 General XP.

~OR~

• You could improve Lore to rank 3. Because it's non-Favored it costs 12 XP to do so; using all 7 of the skill-specific XP PLUS 5 of your 8 General XP, that would leave you 3 General XP.

~OR~

• You could improve your Wisdom to rank 3. The cost of that is 9 XP, so you could use the 3 you have for characteristic-specific PLUS 6 of your 8 General XP, which would leave you with 2 General XP, again.
Does any of that help, at all? I am on Roll 20, now, and able to talk for a bit if you like.
Ellisidil
Apprentice
Apprentice

Unread post by Ellisidil » 28 Jan 2019, 15:32

Good afternoon, I have read, and re read the story line, and maybe I missed it, but the only thing I could find out about my sword was that there was a library? or did I miss the mark entirely
Fieranor of Imladris
LoreMaster
LoreMaster

Unread post by Fieranor of Imladris » 28 Jan 2019, 15:44

Don't worry about that, right now. It will come as a matter of role-playing. Please help me get you through the Fellowship Phase?
Ellisidil
Apprentice
Apprentice

Unread post by Ellisidil » 28 Jan 2019, 15:45

Sure, what is it you need me to do?