(Ellisidil) the Eagle of Wilderland - Dan F

If you have a character in our game, you will find their journal in this area, as well as some stickied threads near the top of the list for songs and stories. As well Player-heroes (PHs), as they are called in The One Ring, have some basic information here concerning how to build them. A journal means you have the opportunity to develop your character's depth to help you be able to get into them, even in a slow-flow forum-based setting such as our game. Have fun with it... using your journal and helping the group with songs may even lead you to gaining experience for posting about them.
Fieranor of Imladris
LoreMaster
LoreMaster
Melee APs: 4
Stealth APs: 4

Re: (Ellisidil) the Eagle of Wilderland - Dan F

Unread post by Fieranor of Imladris » 11 Jul 2019, 21:54

Ingomer Axebreaker, across the table to your right, has tears streaming down his face,

"My Son? My Son..." he takes a deep breath, sobbing uncontrollably, "the lives of my Wife, Inghilde and I have been full of joy followed by tragedy for each child. Our first Son, Ingwolfe, was my pride and joy and made us very happy for a long set of years; he and I ran, when he was old enough to run and, before then, I carried him, to all of the villages taking news from loved ones to others in the villages, and I was teaching him how to fight with axes and shields, and my Wife even made him a heavy garment that resembled our armor, in color pattern only. Even at seven Summers of age he wanted to impress me. He earned his strength, early, grew powerful in body like one of our older adolescents, could wrestle the strongest of his betters to the ground.

At seven Summers he wandered into the forest with Wolfbiter and was never seen, again; I know you have heard that tale.

Two years after Ingwolfe was begotten, Iglund was born. I tried to play with the boys together, but Iglund was touched by what I cannot tell. Though Inghilde has passed, now, and I reach into my twilight, Iglund remains with me. I try to show my pride in him, but I have heard," he stares daggers at Fridwald and Ceawin for the barest of moments, "what is said of Iglund where you think I could not hear." Taking a deep breath and holding his head in his hands, he exhales and continues, "I have tried to teach him how to live as a Woodman, but he is not easy to teach, nor have I been offered aid of any sort to teach him.

"Nearly eight years after Iglund came Ingold, the one I believe Men now call Mogdred. He was headstrong and a leader and some of the men of Woodland Hall, even those with a dozen Summers more to their life than Ingold, went with him, to where I know not," on hearing the name of Mogdred and hearing a bit of his story, you remember hearing about him at The Old Ford, before you moved on to The Eagle's Eyrie. "However, I hear of his misdeeds among not only the Woodmen, but the Beornings and even the Wood Elves. This does not make me proud.

"Inghilde died giving birth to our fourth child seven years later; the girl, Efreide, was taken by Orcs into the deep forest when she was only eight months into her life.

"I know of my children, as you are able to see," tears begin to flow, again, "and you may just have laid my first of them to rest for me. I made Wolfbiter and I ask for you to return it to me as a matter of honor, my friend, please?"
Ellisidil
Apprentice
Apprentice
Journey Role: Scout (P)

Unread post by Ellisidil » 12 Jul 2019, 11:49

Ellisidil looks at the sadness and torture that was in Fridwald and reverently hands over the artifact to him and says “Here is to your honor, and may Wolf biter and your memory be at ease.”
Fieranor of Imladris
LoreMaster
LoreMaster

Unread post by Fieranor of Imladris » 12 Jul 2019, 12:05

Gripping the axe head, he brings it closer to his chest, as though he intends to cuddle it, but simply rests his forehead on it and sobs openly. He will thank Ellisidil before parting.
Fieranor of Imladris
LoreMaster
LoreMaster

Knowledge of the Northern Dale-lands and the Kingdom City of Dale

Unread post by Fieranor of Imladris » 12 Jul 2019, 12:10

Updated Knowledge About the Dale-lands
This is what Ellisidil has learned as a result of
his Search for Answers Undertaking
committed to in Erebor’s Chamber of
Mazarbul under Munin’s patient tutelage,
where he rolled a Image and achieved A
Mystery Revealed
result, gaining two
pieces of substantially useful information and
1 XP for Lore

Substantially Important Information
  1. Garrick of the Black Arrow ~ Not all who dwell in the Northern Dale-lands wish to live under the rule of King Bard. There is a small company of men who have named themselves for the famed shaft that slew Smaug and would see that no such shadow ever returns to trouble their land: the Black Arrow. Led by Garrick, a former guard of Dale, they regularly patrol the borders of the land looking for signs of the shadow. While their purpose is noble, they are regarded by many to be troublemakers, ruffians and vigilantes. Men of the Black Arrow hold themselves to no law and kneel before no lord. Garrick himself has said that no words shall bind his company, save a direct decree by King Bard himself.

The Men of the Black Arrow stir up trouble throughout the Dale-lands. They bully farmers and villagers, harass travelers and traders and demand recompense from nobles for their ‘help’. While the Black Arrow has been responsible for several victories against Goblins and wolves out of the Grey Mountains, and lawless bands of brigands, they are regarded by Bard as menaces and lawbreakers. But, they see themselves as heroes and protectors of the common folk, who take action while the nobles sit idly in their manors.

2. Travelling merchants whisper that talk of rebellion is quietly spreading in Edric’s Town, as Lady Sara is not seen as a strong leader, their population dwindles due to a number of factors, including starvation, poor working conditions, and attacks.

(from The One Ring (LMBr), 260 (Dale))
Dale
Dale is a city of Men built on the western bank of the Running River. It rises in a valley between the southern arms of the Lonely Mountain, where the river turns around the town making a wide loop before resuming its southward course. Its foundations were first laid by Northmen almost four hundred years ago.

For two centuries, the city enjoyed a close alliance with the Dwarves of the Kingdom under the Mountain and grew rich and prosperous, extending its power to the east over the lands between the Running River and Redwater. Many kings passed down their crown to their heirs, until the city was destroyed when Smaug descended on the Dwarf kingdom. Dale remained a deserted ruin for the best part of two centuries, its power a dream remembered only in sad songs sung in Lake-town and in smaller settlements scattered along the Running River.

Dale was reclaimed in the year 2941 by Bard, a descendant of its former lords and slayer of the Dragon, when news of his great deed attracted many Men from the west and south. With the re-founding of the Kingdom under the Mountain the city is returning to its former splendor as the products of skilled Dwarven hands issues again from the Front Gate of Erebor to be sold in the markets of Dale, along with the wares made by local craftsmen and the foreign goods brought upstream by boats coming from Lake-town.

The last four years have seen the completion of most of the restoration works, including crenellated walls and bell-towers, but great labors are undertaken every month as trading blooms and wealth increases. Dwarf stone-masons are seen working everywhere, as they supervise the building of new fountains and pools and the raising of new bridges stretching across the waterways.

Dwarf craftsmen busy themselves with the paving of the streets using stones of different colors (from which the streets take their names). The countryside to the south and west of the Mountain is once again home to vast farmlands providing food for the city population and, especially, for the Dwarf colony under Erebor. Farmers are enlarging their fields every year, getting nearer and nearer to the great forest of Mirkwood and the northernmost extensions of the Long Marshes.

(from Erebor, 53 (The Lands About the Mountain), 64 (The Upper Marches))
The Northern Dale-lands
NOTE: Dan, some of this you’ll see again fairly soon.
From the Withered Heath in the north to the southern lands where the River Running meets the Redwater there were once villages and towns loyal to the House of Girion. No land grew more prosperous under his rule than the Northern Dale-lands, the fertile land north-west of Dale. Long fields of rich soil gave plenty to those who tended the land, and the only shadow upon the land was that which came with the setting sun.

When the Dragon made his lair in the Lonely Mountain, however, the Dale-lands became known as the Desolation of Smaug. The land became bleak and barren, the soil tainted; only a little grass endured and bush and tree were reduced to broken and blackened stumps. All around the Mountain was silence, as though the birds and insects were afraid to wake the Dragon.

With the death of Smaug, however, the land has begun to heal. Bird-song fills the skies once more and the land has burst into new life. Green grasses and fields of vibrant flowers surround the Lonely Mountain anew. Songbirds nest in the thickets and game has returned to the rolling fields.

Bardings, too, have returned to the Dalelands. Newly built farms and villages are springing up everywhere, and golden fields of corn have been sown. This is the heart of the Kingdom of Dale, and it is these lands that King Bard has gifted to his most loyal of retainers.

(NOTE: Dan, if you would like to know more about Wildlife and/or the Inhabitants of The Northern Dale-lands, let me know, please?)

Castle Orlmond
Orlmond is a lord out of Dale, gifted with a parcel of land north of the River Running, and the wealth to make of it what he will. And what he has made is a mighty castle, by the standards of the Men of North, with Dwarf wrought gates and high towers.

Unlike the ruined watchtowers that dot the Grey Mountain Narrows, Castle Orlmond is a new fortification, built atop a steep-sided hill with views across the Dale-lands on one side, and to the nearby borders of Mirkwood on the other. It boasts a strong personal guard and an increasing number of cottagers and foresters have settled nearby, comforted by the security of the keep.

Edric’s Town
The northernmost village in the Northern Dale-lands, Edric’s Town is unusual in that it draws most of its resources by mining along the edge of the Withered Heath. Edric’s Town boasts two mines, apparently rich in gold and gems, as well as a quarry. Unlike the majority of the other villages here, the houses of Edric’s Town are built from stone. The town is surrounded by a large palisade of high wooden stakes set between squat towers, and there is talk that the Dwarves of Erebor may assist in building a new wall.

Lady Sara, widow of the late eccentric Lord Edric, rules the village.

Galford
With the return of prosperity to Dale and Erebor, traders are once again taking to the old merchant roads that cross Wilderland. While it is the most direct path, Mirkwood also remains the most dangerous, causing many merchants to look elsewhere. The old trading road that runs the length of the Grey Mountain Narrows and passes through the Northern Dale-lands on its way to the Lonely Mountain is seeing more traffic than it has in generations.

While many Northmen left their meagre farms and halls behind to heed the Dragon-slayer’s offer of opportunities elsewhere, a few saw the advantages in staying. Galford is a growing village set on the trader’s path a day’s journey south-east of the Narrows’ eastern gap, centered on a new traveler’s inn called the Lantern. Named for the wondrous Dwarven brass lamp that swings from its front porch, the innkeeper Vali converted his former farmstead into the Lantern to cater to the merchants and other travelers that had begun to regularly ask if they could stay in his barns.

Vali’s decision has proved to be a fortuitous one, for in the few years it has been open, the Lantern has already become a great success. Unlike many other settlers in the area, Vali wisely approached emissaries of the Elven-king in Lake-town before improving the Lantern (or the village) as Galford sits along the eastern eaves of Mirkwood. While Thranduil’s folk made no promises of protection, they’ve allowed Vali to use fallen wood from the forest in his ongoing constructions, a rare privilege.

Strandburg
Like many nobles who dwell in the Northern Dale-lands, Bryni came here when Bard first encouraged his people to restore the land. Bryni was not yet twenty when he came to the ruined village of Strandburg, which now flourishes in the very heart of the Northern Dale-lands.
Ellisidil
Apprentice
Apprentice

Unread post by Ellisidil » 12 Jul 2019, 15:45

Paul, wow, I need to make a role like that every time!!!! What a pile of information to go through. Would a map of this area be in store with this information or would that be my special piece of information
Fieranor of Imladris
LoreMaster
LoreMaster

Unread post by Fieranor of Imladris » 12 Jul 2019, 16:18

No, your special information is close to the top of the post. You only got two.

Oh, and the information is not done... that's what I was able to find from eight out of thirteen books I have. There's more coming, but what I gave you is going to be relevant BEFORE the Adventure, and I'll be giving more DURING the Adventure.
Ellisidil
Apprentice
Apprentice

Unread post by Ellisidil » 12 Jul 2019, 23:01

Paul, I would like to increase my lore from 2 to 3 with what we have talked about. You had asked me if I wanted to know more about the wild life in that region as well and the upper marshes, and that is a yes to both. A generic animal list would be great, but also any that can be used to help us find what we are looking for or that would have been spooked as well
Ellisidil
Apprentice
Apprentice

Unread post by Ellisidil » 12 Jul 2019, 23:10

Once Ellisidil sees the pain that Fridwald is going through, he stands up and pulls the man up and gives Fridwald a hug and holds him until the sobbing stops and they can both sit down. Ellisidil grabs ales from a passing barkeep hands one to each of his companions, lifts his glass and says “TO OUR LOST ONES, MAY THEY BE FREE”
Fieranor of Imladris
LoreMaster
LoreMaster

Unread post by Fieranor of Imladris » 13 Jul 2019, 11:50

Ellisidil wrote:
12 Jul 2019, 23:01
Paul, I would like to increase my lore from 2 to 3 with what we have talked about.
Done, and your character record is uploaded; remember, you may have to reload/refresh the page once or twice for it to show up. If you only have two in Lore, refresh the page; if three, don't worry about it.
You had asked me if I wanted to know more about the wild life in that region as well and the upper marshes, and that is a yes to both. A generic animal list would be great, but also any that can be used to help us find what we are looking for or that would have been spooked as well.
Alright, these things are going to be quite the download... I have to do more research and copy-paste, etc., but I have it as a note for after I do the main posting, today.

Dan, is there anything else you want to put into the story of Ellisidil's tet-a-tet with the Woodman Village Elders?
Fieranor of Imladris
LoreMaster
LoreMaster

The Northern Dale-lands ~ Wildlife

Unread post by Fieranor of Imladris » 13 Jul 2019, 18:59

Early Spring in the Northern Dalelands is bleak as the Winter; each hour North you travel means another month before the snow clears. Rolling hills covered in white cover the beds of heather and poppy visible throughout late-Spring and into early-Fall, though the landscape is broken by the occasional copse of trees or cairn of rock. The remains of Smaug's Desolation seem to peak above the rocks and within the copse's of trees, as many of them stand as stark reminders of the doom the Dragon brought to this area.

Normally many thrushes, chats and starlings nest throughout the hills, their songs filling the air, except in the Winter when they've flown to share space on Raven Hill or to nearby farms and villages, and even as far as Dale, and their song is silent. Small falcons knife their way through the sky; hobbies, merlins and peregrines, their endless search for field mice and Winter foxes often unsuccessful, costing many of them their lives.

Game is easily found here and those who are keen with a bow find meat to be a regular meal, whether hare, stag
or boar and, in the Winter and early-Spring Winter foxes. It is only in the far north, where the land falls under the shadow of the Grey Mountains, that wolves are encountered, gaunt grey killers that come down seeking to prey on lonely travelers or isolated farms.
Fieranor of Imladris
LoreMaster
LoreMaster

Knowledge of the Upper Marches

Unread post by Fieranor of Imladris » 13 Jul 2019, 19:28

The Upper Marches
The open countryside that extends from the eastern banks of the River Running to the foothills of the Iron Hills is called the Upper Marches. These plains extend south for nearly a hundred miles, bordered by the Long Marshes in the west, before eventually opening out into the wide steppes of the Nether Marches. Too far east to benefit from the protection afforded to the Northern Dale-lands by the Grey Mountains, here winds howl out of the North in the winter. Sometimes these winds carry an unnatural chill upon them, or else foul air and ash blown off from the Waste. Northmen have dwelt here since long before the birth of Dale and few abandoned their homes when Smaug’s reign began. With the Kingdom of Dale newly resurgent, Bard increasingly looks to the Upper Marches to expand his realm, and many Bardings have settled here in the past five years, hopeful for a new life.

Far beyond the plains of the Upper Marches lies the twin kingdom to Erebor: the Iron Hills. Much like Erebor was founded at the headwaters of the River Running, so too were the Iron Hills carved at the headwaters of the Redwater.

(from Erebor, 64 (The Upper Marches))
Wildlife
The Northmen who live in the Upper Marches tend large flocks of sheep and small herds of cattle, following them where they wander. As a traveler draws east into the long plains of this realm they find a land filled with hares, rabbits and all manner of birds. Great flocks of ravens wheel high overhead, feeding on carrion abandoned by the large predators found in the eastern wilds. Amongst these are bears and wandering wolves, which come from the southern woodlands in search of prey.

(from Erebor, 66 (The Upper Marches))
Notable Places
The Old Dwarf Road ~ The Dwarves once traded extensively between the Iron Hills and the Blue Mountains, traveling upon a broad, proud road of finely quarried stone that ran right through the middle of Mirkwood and beyond.

The Great Stone Cairn ~ In the heart of the rolling plains of the Upper Marches is a mound of stones that has stood since before the coming of Smaug. It can be seen from miles around and the lingering ruins of a long abandoned stone tower still stand atop it. This was once a wayfort upon the Old Dwarf Road, a keep that stood guard over travelers and provided them with somewhere to stay the night. The wayfort has fallen into disuse since the coming of Smaug, likely reclaimed by nature.

The Iron Hills ~ The easternmost settlement of Dwarves is to be found at the farthest edge of Wilderland, where the map ends in a spine of stone peaks. The hills rise tall and fair, cold and unforgiving, stretching from west to east. These are the Iron Hills, aptly named for the bountiful iron mined from its deeps. While most Dwarves crave gold, jewels or Mithril, the Dwarves of the Iron Hills know that these riches are but rewards earned with the stroke of a mattock – mattocks that are born in their forges. The people of the Iron Hills harbor a fierce, martial pride; however, they see themselves as wardens, not warmongers.

In the past, these lands were attacked by Men and Orcs from the East, and the Dwarves of the Iron Hills remain vigilant against such threats. As a result, the hold of the Iron Hills is neither as fair as Erebor, nor as grand as Khazad-dûm, for its denizens are rather more practical and stoic. The gate of the hold is much smaller than that of Erebor, barred by a huge iron portcullis that takes ten Dwarves to raise. Long passages within are set with great traps, ready to be collapsed on those who would invade the halls of the Iron Hills. It has few great chambers within; instead, most rooms are small so that enemies can enter no more than a dozen at a time, wherein they will find themselves unable to avoid the sharp axes and heavy mattocks of Thorin Stonehelm’s guards.

Only the great forge in the lowest levels of the Iron Hills is as grand in scale as any hall found in Erebor. Here furnaces large enough to swallow a man burn red day and night and anvils ring in ceaseless chorus. Beside the many workshops are storage rooms made not for gold, but to house the broad shields, sharp axes, hauberks of steel, and hose of fine mesh for which the Iron Hills are rightly renowned.

Ironthorpe ~ Before the coming of Smaug, Ironthorpe had been a small, but thriving, settlement of Northmen that acted for the Iron Hills much as Dale acted for Erebor: as a trading place for their goods and a means of acquiring food-supplies. With the coming of the Dragon, though, all changed. As the Great Worm’s corruption spread, eventually creating the blasted land known as the Desolation of Smaug, ash continually blew east into the fields about Ironthorpe, slowly poisoning the ground and turning their crops sickly. With Erebor gone and Ironthorpe’s bounty reduced to subsistence, Grór’s people had to find new sources of food and new customers for their goods. It soon became obvious that they would have to travel far on their own to do so.

Ironthorpe became a shell of its former self. A squalid town filled with desperate folk, where the Dwarves would occasionally load goods onto the Redwater bound south for Dorwinion, but avoided otherwise. Erebor has been restored and regular trade with the Iron Hills renewed, but Ironthorpe has been slow to change. It remains a wretched place filled with outcasts and scofflaws. There are plans in the works to rebuild the old roads and perhaps make something worthwhile of the town, but Dáin is wary of where the allegiances of those who live in Ironthorpe now reside, a sentiment his son shares.

(NOTE: Dan, for the Northern Dale-lands I wrote an early-Spring account, as that's what you're getting ready to go through with the Company. However, I think I left enough for you to glean what the area will look like without snow. As for the Upper Marches, since you're not likely to see those until much later I gave the standard Summertime viewpoint favored in the Erebor book.)

LoreMaster Note Dan, this is where I stop the information you’ve received from your superior studies, for now. There will be more, later and, of course, if you’re looking for something more specific, just let me know and I’ll see what I can find. :D
Ellisidil
Apprentice
Apprentice

Unread post by Ellisidil » 13 Jul 2019, 20:11

Paul, Nope, I think the elders would be happy with what I did...
Fieranor of Imladris
LoreMaster
LoreMaster

Unread post by Fieranor of Imladris » 13 Jul 2019, 22:18

LoreMaster Note Agreed.

Before parting, Ingomer grabs your shoulders and looks intently at you,

"In five seasons is to be a Folk-moot; Spring of 2948. Radagast will be there and so should you be. Three Woodmen villages have desire to join with us, and this Folk-moot will need a report concerning your experiences in our lands so we can make other decisions, also. I am inviting you and your companions to stay with us during this year's end Winter through the following Spring, perhaps into Summer. Will you?"
Ellisidil
Apprentice
Apprentice

Unread post by Ellisidil » 14 Jul 2019, 21:28

Paul, a point of clarification. Is that this year, or the five seasons away, only asking because I am already on one journey right now...and don't want to promise anything yet...until 1 I speak to my companions, 2. make sure we are all going to be available for this...
Fieranor of Imladris
LoreMaster
LoreMaster

Unread post by Fieranor of Imladris » 14 Jul 2019, 21:48

No, it is in the late-Spring to the early-Summer of 2948... it is only early-Spring of 2947, now.