(Ellisidil) the Eagle of Wilderland - Dan F

If you have a character in our game, you will find their journal in this area, as well as some stickied threads near the top of the list for songs and stories. As well Player-heroes (PHs), as they are called in The One Ring, have some basic information here concerning how to build them. A journal means you have the opportunity to develop your character's depth to help you be able to get into them, even in a slow-flow forum-based setting such as our game. Have fun with it... using your journal and helping the group with songs may even lead you to gaining experience for posting about them.
Ellisidil
Apprentice
Apprentice
Melee APs: 4
Stealth APs: 4
Journey Role: Scout (P)

Re: the Eagle (Ellisidil) of Wilderland - Dan F

Unread post by Ellisidil » 12 Oct 2016, 08:51

That would be great, I can deal with those 3, Travel, Insight, and Persuade.
Fieranor of Imladris
LoreMaster
LoreMaster

Unread post by Fieranor of Imladris » 12 Oct 2016, 09:38

Alright, I'll get them updated a bit later this morning.
Fieranor of Imladris
LoreMaster
LoreMaster

Unread post by Fieranor of Imladris » 12 Oct 2016, 14:50

Okay, now that you've completed spending both XPs and APs, we'll have to wait for the rest of the folks to finish. I'll try to get that information out to everyone, soon.
Fieranor of Imladris
LoreMaster
LoreMaster

Your First Fellowship Phase ~ Standing Upkeep at Home, in a Sanctuary, or at a Holding

Unread post by Fieranor of Imladris » 12 Oct 2016, 15:58

Your Company has decided they are remaining together for this Fellowship Phase, going to The Eagle's Eyrie -at least, I'm pretty sure Artorius will be going with you all. As none of you have a Holding, just now, we’ll table that question for a later Fellowship Phase.

Please open this post and scroll down to the title “Standing Upkeep” so you can read what standing is all about. In essence, if you decided to go Home, you get to automatically keep your Standing, there and, if you pay some of your hard-earned Treasure, you can raise your standing there. It is the same with alternate Sanctuaries, though you only possess one or two Sanctuaries, just now. You are NOT required to spend any Treasure/Gold at any Fellowship Phase other than the Year's End Fellowship Phase if you do not wish; however, if you do decide to spend it, now, you will need to keep track of when it is next due. You may spend Treasure/Gold in ANY Fellowship Phase to Raise Your Standing at home or abroad, but that also resets your annual upkeep time.

Once you have decided whether you’re intent to spend Treasure or not, and how, please post your plan in this thread, so I can update your character sheet.
Ellisidil
Apprentice
Apprentice

Unread post by Ellisidil » 13 Oct 2016, 09:45

So, I am assuming we are going to miss the end of the year fellowship phase and therefore have to pay for the upkeep of home and sanctuary?
And though I read through the treasure information I'm still confused on how much I would have to pay just to maintain my standing at home and sanctuary, considering I am in a frugal standing. I would also assume that the treasure we all took with us can be split before we move forward and then spent accordingly to have the upkeep?
Fieranor of Imladris
LoreMaster
LoreMaster

Unread post by Fieranor of Imladris » 13 Oct 2016, 10:51

No. You can't miss the Year's End Fellowship Phase because winters are very hard in Middle-earth, and you know that you will want to be somewhere. In fact, after this coming adventure, you'll be having almost two Fellowship Phases, an end-of-adventure and a Year's End; however, this is unusual and may be the last double you guys get... we'll have to see how play goes.

Okay, just to maintain your standing at home would be equal to your current Standing Rating. So, since you only have one, you only pay one; if you had a Standing of 2, it would be 2, etc.

No one has tried to split any of the Treasure from your last haul, yet, unless you're talking about coins and jewels, in which case that's a role-playing issue leading to a mechanical one, hehe.
Ellisidil
Apprentice
Apprentice

Unread post by Ellisidil » 13 Oct 2016, 13:13

So since I have 3 gold in my stash, I would go ahead and pay the 1 for the standing. And I am talking about the jewels I have in my pack and also what to do with the other long sword, I am not big enough to be swinging two of these bad boys at one time, and I would like to use the lion sword, so would I then exchange them or have someone hold it till I cam back through on my way home for the holidays?
Fieranor of Imladris
LoreMaster
LoreMaster

Unread post by Fieranor of Imladris » 13 Oct 2016, 14:31

Paying 1 Gold for Standing; no problem. As for the gems, jewels, and coins, I leave that up to you to split up with folks, except that you have only two jewels, neither of which have been evaluated, so you don't know how much they would give you... what you have on your record sheet, on page 2, are estimates, more to help ME keep records than for YOU to stake your hopes on.

As for the weapons... well, see, here's the dilemma, then... if you try to talk Grór into holding onto your Long Sword, he will refuse, citing that he's a Dwarf Trader, not a Banker. Your other options are to sell either your other Long Sword or your Long-Hafted Axe, or continue to carry it all with you. It wouldn't be hard to find an audience to sell that second Long Sword or Axe to, but some simple trading rules would need to be established, and the likelihood is you're not going to see all the money your character would have paid for either weapon.
Fieranor of Imladris
LoreMaster
LoreMaster

Your First Fellowship Phase ~ Choosing an Undertaking

Unread post by Fieranor of Imladris » 16 Oct 2016, 22:35

Fellowship Phase Undertakings are found, here, but when you select one, please paste your answer in this thread?

Thank you.
Ellisidil
Apprentice
Apprentice

Unread post by Ellisidil » 18 Oct 2016, 19:43

Perform Tasks for The Lord of the Eagle's
Fieranor of Imladris
LoreMaster
LoreMaster

Unread post by Fieranor of Imladris » 18 Oct 2016, 20:15

Done, good sir. Thank you. I tried to get on Facebook a few minutes ago to see if you might be there, but Facebook is not, for whatever reason, letting me in, just now. That's alright, I have a story to write to get you all to the Eagle's Eyrie.
Fieranor of Imladris
LoreMaster
LoreMaster

Visit to the Lord of the Eagle's

Unread post by Fieranor of Imladris » 21 Oct 2016, 00:58

Early morning, 24 July, 2946 T.A., Visitor's Shelf of The Eagle's Eyrie
The air blew sweet across the tree-tops of the forest depths surrounding the base of the Eagle's Eyrie. Two weeks had passed since Balin had paid his visit, and he remained giddy about the experience. The old Dwarf master, once part of the Company, Thorin's Company, who had retaken Erebor and been responsible for the slaying of Smaug, in whatever indirect fashion, remained child like, exuberant and very happy, as though he had smelt too much of a new vein of gold in the depths of The Lonely Mountain. His mission accomplished, a precious jewel delivered, a King's desire to honor an ancient friend sated, and yet all he continued to yammer on about was the ride up the mountain on the back of Landroval -one of the three primary defenders of the Eyrie, would-be a Knight considered in the courts of both Dáin and Bard, perhaps even in the shaped-tree refuge of Thranduil King, Lord of the Silvan Elves- and the ride back down.

More thrill and less strength were attributed to the latter. Óin, of course, continued in his jealousy to tease the elder Dwarf, calling his stories embellished, even though everyone, including Óin knew the stories were, indeed, true.

As Ellisidil lies in his bedroll and blankets, his belly full of squirrel and the meet of wild chickens -not considered to be birds by the Eagle's-, he dreamt of many things, of home and the scary woods he and his friends had played within, and of his visit to the Eagle's as a child of nine. He had recognized this spot the moment this present Company landed upon it and, smelling the fresh breeze from the early-Summer mountains, remembered the exact day his parents brought him here. His parents had spoken with one of the Great Eagle's, so large they frightened him nearly to tears, though he did not cry... but his memory brought him back to that day and the way in which they spoke to the great bird, almost as if begging.

The young Woodman twitched and rolled over in his dream, as all of his memories of his father never contained anything such as this... father was powerful beyond measure, never bowing to anyone or anything, and mother always stood strong beside him, perhaps the stronger of the two... no, this memory was not right, and he pushed it out of his head, choosing the path he knew to be right, where his folks turned to look at him, his father's face as powerful as it had ever been, stern, a mask against danger and helplessness, and his mother powerful in her own right, concern shadowing her face, but also hope and faith in Ellisidil. Both stepped aside, on either side of the Eagle as it picked up and set down one massive talon after another and closed the distance in only a few long strides. Ellisidil stood his ground, not flinching, looking the massive predator in the eye as his father would, staring the great bird down.

One eyeball on the great avian was as large as this child's head, and it focused only its left eye on him, as though attempting to stare into his soul, its head twitching to, supposedly, obtain a better viewpoint on the child. Then, slowly, careful not to remove its gaze from the child, withdrew its head and shifted its weight from one leg to the other, adjusting its viewpoint to a tall rock across the table where they had waited for what seemed to be an eternity before an audience had been granted. The Eagle's never did anything without deliberate intent, which normally meant slowly considering each and every thing to come before them. Only after such deliberation -the only beings still in Middle-earth slower in their deliberations than the Eagle's being the Ents of Fangorn Forest- would the Eagle's act; more often than not their choice was to NOT interact with anyone lacking a pair of wings, except for the Dwarf Tolliver, who had taken care of mucking out their homes and shoring up any battle rattle they desired to possess. However, half-blind and mostly deaf Tolliver was acceptable to them, and they had allowed him to stay for more than six decades by that time. The Dwarf was content, full of love for the Eagle's, had been recommended by Gandalf Stormcrow, and he had served them all faithfully for two generations of their own being born in this Eyrie.

It was exceedingly rare to be granted an audience with Gwaihir, his brethren in Landroval and Meneldor, let alone with the King of all Birds, himself, but this day seemed to be different. The Eagle lowered its beak to nudge Ellisidil's bow -the common tongue of Westron being an affront to many of the Eagle's to use-, then pointed its beak at the rock outcropping across the table, one that had served as a shelf for many travelers in the past, and thus was not of great value to the Eagle's. Seeming to know what the great bird wanted, Ellisidil raised the bow, sized for a boy his age, drew and nocked an arrow, pulled and fired, burying the tip of the arrow directly into the stone without breaking the shaft or shattering the arrowhead. As the Eagle began to react, he pulled two more -truly trying to impress the massive bird- and fired each in rapid succession. The second hit the stone immediately to the fight of the first, shattering brilliantly, arrowhead, shaft and feathers into an explosive display. The third, however, wound up being low and off-center, deflecting to the right and disappearing somewhere into the thick forest below the shelf.

The Eagle turned to take in the presence of the boy, again and, despite being unreadable, he was impressed with the prowess displayed. Then, he lowered his beak to nudge the boy again and again, perhaps some display of affection, though after the fifth nudge Ellisidil began to feel disturbed; it was too much...

and he awoke to see a massive presence lingering over him, a pair of massive eyes with a soft white glow within...
Out-of-Character Dan, are you ready to role-play this out? What do you do? Pure story-telling, here; no dice, please?
Ellisidil
Apprentice
Apprentice

Unread post by Ellisidil » 24 Oct 2016, 19:45

Ellisidil looked into those eyes and smiled, remembering the way that he felt after the first encounter with these great birds and the fun that they all had that day. Ellisidil slowly removed his covers and stretched his body to get the cold out of his muscles and to limber up for whatever the Great King of the Eagles wanted. Ellisidil then stood up and put up his gear, rolled his sleeping bag up and placed everything as if he were getting ready for travel. All the while this Eagle watched him and when Ellisidil began to put on his gear (the weapons) the Eagle shook his head and nudged me every time I did anything with anything other than the Bow and Quiver. Once I had those on....Ellisidl turns, bends down on one knee and says, "Good Morning, Great Sire. Thank you for the audience, one I was not expecting, but am glad of, what is it I can do for you."
Fieranor of Imladris
LoreMaster
LoreMaster

Unread post by Fieranor of Imladris » 24 Oct 2016, 22:20

"I am not your sire, Eagle, I am but the messenger. Climb upon my back and I will take you to our Lord." The flight to the top of the Eyrie takes but a moment, but is not a gentle ascent. Nonetheless, you sense Gwaihir is testing you, and finds you more than prepared for the maneuvers he makes, as if in combat. The landing, the last step in his testing of you, is hard, and you nearly smash your face into the neck of the great bird.

"Well done, youngling. Now, off so I may present you properly." After the ride you feel he might attempt to shake you off and he does not disappoint. As you land on your feet, roughly, taking an additional step to steady yourself, you swear you hear an under-breath chuckle, but when you look at the face of Gwaihir, it appears impassive to you. As you move forward to finish your step, you see the Lord of the Eagle's himself; there is little you remember of him from several years ago, but you remember you do not have the fear you did as a child.

"I no longer trust the Woodmen, Ellisidil the Eagle," the King of all Birds begins gruffly. Before you can ask any question, Gwaihir interrupts and explains,

"m'Lord, I have not properly introduced this young Man..."

"Gwaihir, you are dismissed." Thorondine sounds entirely unimpressed and, perhaps, even a bit disappointed. The Wind-lord sighs openly, then takes two steps and a turn, barely missing you with his tail feathers, and then is gone with a mighty shriek.

"Would you help me if I asked it of you, Ellisidil?"
Ellisidil
Apprentice
Apprentice

Unread post by Ellisidil » 25 Oct 2016, 09:54

Ellisidl speaks as he bends to his knees, "As always, the answer is yes. Great King of the Eagles."