Éadnes Andwiltan of Mirkwood - Peter C.

Player Heroes, as they are called in The One Ring, have their statistics copied and stored here, for ease of reference for me, in particular. Experience Points are granted based on the number of sessions played in an Adventure Phase, while Advancement Points are granted based on high-quality successful skill rolls. These points are to be recorded, here, and natural advancement made as such.
Petecoi
Apprentice
Apprentice
Journey Role: Look-out (P)

Re: Éadnes Andwiltan of Mirkwood - Peter C.

Unread postby Petecoi » 30 Jan 2017, 10:05

It seemed like Éadnes waited weekss for Abd al-Aziz to awake in his right mind. He keep the wound clean and used herbs that kept away flies and other insects that might carry infection. As he changed bandages Éadnes would use maggots to eat away any dead flesh that would not recover. Yet, one day the Easterling awoke with a smile that showed the worst was over.

"You have saved me elf. It is a debt I doubt I will be able to repay."

"Let us not talk about this. I have been thinking whilst you recovered. You will need a place to stay and live in this world. I know of few places where you may have a chance to live undisturbed and where you may tend a garden, feed yourself.... Yet it is south of here, near to a place recently protected. It is at the edge of the land of the Beornings and close to the old trade road. I will need to carve you a crutch whilst you recover and whilst I do, perhaps you can talk more of your land and your customs!"

As soon as they could the pair began their march south and during this journey Éadnes discovered the great secret that would shape the planning of Kings.

Petecoi
Apprentice
Apprentice

Unread postby Petecoi » 30 Jan 2017, 11:34

As they journeyed south Abd al-Aziz spoke of his land of hot dry grasslands. He spoke of hunting antelope, large deer that would run without faltering for miles. He spoke of a bolas, a triad of ropes with weights attached used to entangle the legs of any animal they chase. He spoke of huge Mamaluks, some of which were trained for war by the peoples of the south. Horses would not approach them and men have few weapons that could pierce their hide.

All of this Éadnes listened to with awe. He wished to visit these places but knew that the Enemy held sway over such lands. No elf was mentioned in Abd al-Aziz's tales. He guessed they had left the lands of the south through war or to find peace in the Grey Havens. When Éadnes questioned the Easterling about beliefs, he could not grasp their views of how the world came into being. Darkness played a role beyond the light and it seemed odd that someone from a hot dry country would believe the world was destined for darkness and cold. He told his new friend of the Grey Havens and that the world has always seen the triumph of light over dark but at this Abd al-Aziz fell silent and a distant look of care came into his eyes.

It was as they approached Amon Thyryn and close to where Éadnes felt he must leave Abd al-Aziz that talk of the future of the world began. Abd al-Aziz fell silent and walked in deep thought for many hours. Then he began,

"My friend, you have kept me well and for this I would give my life. Yet I know this is not likely, so before we part I would ask you, no beg you to take great care in the days to come. The Great One seeks power, this you know but he believes he can hold sway over the peoples of the earth if he can but regain his lost rings. I know you recognise of which I speak, I am sure you have guessed that my wounds were the wounds of dragon fire and the foul spittle from their maw. Our force was sent with orcs to seek and slay a dragon we were told held a great secret. As we journeyed the talk from the men spoke of a gem and from the orcs a ring that held sway over dwarves. It was not long before our force was ablaze with desire to get this deed done for the Shadow. It was foolishness, madness. We had great engines of war designed to release bolts that would pierce dragon hide, plans to attack at night when we were told dragons sleep and orcs we were to use a bait to draw the beast to us.
Have you every seen a dragon Éadnes?
Talk is cheap and plans worthless in their face.
They are immense, they are death but they are also shrewd and cunning beyond my ken.
We thought we were clever, we thought we would surprise the beast.
Ha!
It fell upon us and turned our dreams to nightmares.
We could not escape, the mud clung to us, the steam melted our flesh and the beast left us no more than blood and bone. If given a choice Éadnes run, never face this foe but for my life Éadnes beware. The Shadow grows and he hungers for his treasures. He will not stop because we have failed. He will seek the dwarven rings, he controls the nine. Leave these shores as your brethren have. Seek the grey Havens you have spoken of. Do not stay for all that lies ahead is defeat."

As he finished this tale Éadnes realised he had reached the destination he sought. A small valley with a cave before which stretched a stream of fresh water and a flat piece of land.

"My friend this small piece of land is protected by the mighty Eagles from the ravages of Orcs or Goblins. The Old Trade Road is just over the hill. The old entrance to Goblin Town lies upon the road but it is now blocked by Beornings and men. Caravans now travel once more and the town of Old Ford is being rebuilt. Here you may tend animals and grow some crops. Let me help you set up a home and maybe with your will, should I journey this way again we can talk of better times."

With hard labour and using his skills to generate money for those items they did not possess Éadnes left Abd al-Aziz with sufficient for his new life. He wished this man who had suffered so greatly peace but he felt newly driven to return to Thranduil and tell him of this mission of the Enemy that had gone so badly wrong. Only one question stayed in his mind until he had told his tale. Could the words of Abd al-Aziz be true?

Petecoi
Apprentice
Apprentice

Unread postby Petecoi » 31 Jan 2017, 12:06

One fine morning in early summer Éadnes turned to his friend, "I fear I need now to go, what you have told me on our journey deeply worries me. Have you thought of a name for this place as I would like to tell others so they may watch over you."

Abd al-Aziz gazed across the small valley. Mostly in shade in the morning but which glowed in the evening sun.
"Shams almasa' comes to my mind, it means evening sun and for me I will live my life here and enjoy my twilight. You will always be welcome, I will keep a fresh bed and clean water every day and hope for your passing."

Éadnes shook his new friend's hand and smiled at the thought of the journey they had made. "I need to tell my King of your dark mission. If only there were some evidence I could give him to prove your tale."

"I am sorry my friend, I have none." Abd al-Aziz replied. "Yet I will tell you a secret which may be of use, four rings have been consumed by dragons and we have failed to regain these. The others are already in the hands of the dark master. The mightiest of the Seven was taken from Thráin II, heir of Durin, who has been captured, imprisoned, and tormented by the Necromancer in Dol Guldur. No doubt you now know the Necromancer and the Shadow are the same."

With a grim shrug, Éadnes thanked his friend and turned. As he reached the edge of the small wood at the east end of the valley he turned and waved. He could see this man who had suffered so much still watching him as he walked towards the old trade road.

Petecoi
Apprentice
Apprentice

Unread postby Petecoi » 01 Feb 2017, 12:34

It was to be a long journey and as he set out Éadnes felt a grim reality settle over his mind. He needed to get back to the Elven King's Halls quickly. Yes he could send a message but no bird, no creature could explain all he had seen and what he now knew. He trudged on and quickly reached the old trade road. Fortune smiled on him and he was offered passage on a wagon heading for the old town on the ford. From the merchant he travelled with he picked up further news. It seemed foul rumours of half-orcs and those looking to profit from bloodshed were emerging from the south. The Gap of Rohan was being patrolled by the Rohirrim in search for orcs that seemed to travel in the daytime. Many talked of the Kings of Gondor and the Rohirrim focusing on their cities and not on their people.
Éadnes smiled and listened to the complaints of old men trying to make a living. Yet there was enough here to once again darken his thoughts and cause a shiver to his soul.
As he reached the town, Éadnes had decided he must reach his king quickly.
Visiting the tavern by the ford he quickly took sustenance. There were many folk here and most seemed oblivious to the dread Éadnes now felt. He asked about birds that might take a message, rooks, ravens, crows, thrush and even hawks. He was answered that there was a large rookery on the road towards Mirkwood. Finishing his meal he went speedily to the copse and searched for a bird that would serve his needs. It was not what he expected but the first to answer his call was 'mán -o i taur' that which men consider bad luck. The owl would serve the purpose well. Able to travel at night and able to manage in the Greenwood the Tawny Owl would serve Éadnes well. He spoke of his urgency and his need for help to get back to the King's halls speedily. He described that he would be taking the old elf road through Mirkwood and asked for help to do so. Setting the bird off he searched out provisions and bought a night's rest before his journey the next morning. His last stop before the evening was to the sheriff and master of the town. Here he spoke of Abd al-Aziz and asked both sheriff and master to make clear there was a friend near to where the road started to climb towards the High Pass. A man of the land swarthy but true, if they can look after him there will be a useful rest point for weary travellers coming East. Not knowing if his efforts would be of benefit, he had done all he could and retired to his room for the night.

Petecoi
Apprentice
Apprentice

Unread postby Petecoi » 05 Feb 2017, 14:03

The next morning Éadnes woke and set forth for the old elf road. Moving north he passed Beornings working in the land. He walked steadily towards the old elf road and in doing so the world took on anew hue. Whereas before he passed thinking the land recovered after the desolation and fleeing of the Necromancer, now he saw longer shadows, felt cold in the hollows and smelt rot in the dank places in the land. As he passed, there was nothing that caused him alarm, yet he could not shake the feeling that he now knew the shadow plotted and that marked him.
Three days out of Old Ford the unease Éadnes felt meant he was overcome with the feeling that he was being followed. Unable to shake this sense he moved from open land to moving between copse and hillock, mere and mound. It was soon after he heard the sound of horses, two coming up behind him from the south. Stepping quickly into the shadows out of caution not expectation, Éadnes saw two of the foulest looking riders approach. They were clearly searching, they did not ride straight but traversed the land slowly and methodically. Neither strictly man but a sense of foulness came before them as though a black mist flowed ahead of their approach. As they approached they slowed and Éadnes gripped his spear more tightly. Something warned him this was not a chance meeting, nor desired. Using his skills he melted into the small wood and watched as they dismounted. Listening he heard them mutter to one another and his head swam with thoughts as he realised it was the foul speech of orcs. He could see them tracking his footsteps and they moved towards his position.
Suddenly, Éadnes was aware that someone else was in this wood. Behind him and coming forwards.
Quickly he decided he needed to surprise these searchers. It was clear they were servants of the enemy but Éadnes still struggled to attack first. Yet the decision was made as soon as the foul pair raised weapons as they sensed him near. Stepping forward he stabbed forwards with his spear and the blow struck true and deep pinning the first through the abdomen tot a tree behind. The second then stepped back but before he could raise his sword an arrow struck him clean through the chest. Turning Éadnes saw an elf step from behind him.

Petecoi
Apprentice
Apprentice

Unread postby Petecoi » 09 Feb 2017, 12:27

"Fierdican!" Éadnes called with joy. "How come you here?"

Éadnes' heart leapt in his chest and he beamed with joy. It had been so long since he had seen one of his kindred and the reassurance it gave him was beyond measure.

"Thranduil heard your message and sent me on horseback to meet you. He bade me make all haste and I have ridden day and night as he stressed urgency. I feel his clairvoyance warned him you were in danger. I believe he wishes to hear your news from your own lips. Come."

It was good to be riding with his old friend again and riding was certainly better than walking and taking a chance with others on the road. It seemed Thranduil wished them to travel with all speed as a change of horses was always ready as those they rode tired. As they rode the gloom Éadnes felt lifted from his heart until at one point they reached a raised treeless mound. Cresting this space, which seemed sacred in the land, Éadnes glanced back and it seemed to him the sky darkened to the south. The darkness, no doubt a storm raging in a distant land, seemed to have fingers spreading north. It gave Éadnes a shiver to think of the enemy reaching northwards to stop him reporting his news. They rode on and came back to the Elven King's Halls. As they arrived they were met and told that once fed and rested, Éadnes was to report his news to the King at council.

Éadnes was happy to once again in the halls he grew up in. He was given clean clothes and was soon refreshed. He approached his King with deference and grace. When called for he told all he knew as clearly as he could. He described as well as he could the injuries inflicted on Abd al-Aziz and the reasons given for undertaking such a task. Thranduil did not take one as lowly as Éadnes into his thinking but it was clear from the questions he was asked that the council believed they needed to speed up their preparation for war. Staying hidden was the Sylvian way but it seemed to Éadnes that there was no doubt war was coming.

The next day Éadnes was sent a message through Fierdican that he had done well. His skills in moving through the land were valued and he should prepare himself to once again discover as much as he can about the intentions of the people in the wild.

Petecoi
Apprentice
Apprentice

Unread postby Petecoi » 28 Feb 2017, 09:29

Éadnes walked out of the Eleven King's Halls one bright morning and turned East. His journey's had taken him to the edge of the Misty Mountains and he wondered how well his old colleagues in Dale were progressing in their rebuilding of the land after the Desolation of the Dragon. He hope that the new Lords of Dale, the Bardings were progressing well. His memory was that they acted as a positive balance between the newly developed Erebor and the Woodland Realm. The land could not afford a return to the old enmities if King Thranduil was correct and the darkness again was spreading in the land. Éadnes wondered about the nature of mankind, so youthful in their short lived lives, the capacity to rebuild and expand beyond anything the Eldar could manage. Truly the world would be shaped by their hands, yet he could not help but remember how easily mankind could be corrupted. The Nine were mortal men, who thankfully were purposeless without the power within the One Ring to command them. Éadnes shivered. Could it be one of The Nine that was returning to the Greenwood? Had the Necromancer been able to leave some foul binding that drew such evil from the darkness of Minas Morgul?
Shaking head head to free himself of such thoughts, Éadnes walked out of his King's realm towards the Long Lake and Dale.

Fieranor of Imladris
LoreMaster
LoreMaster
Journey Role: LoreMaster

Unread postby Fieranor of Imladris » 22 Nov 2018, 19:16

Out-Of-Character ∴ Peter, in preparation for returning to play in January of 2019, I thought you might want to re-read, here and think about a couple of questions. I will have to do some re-reading, as well, but the first question is: do you intend to continue your story, here? And: Do you recall the mission Thranduil King set you to when you left Mirkwood?

If you need your username or password sent to you, just send me a message on Facebook, alright? I can't wait to get this all back together.
"Gondolin might not have fallen, with proper military technique and force applied."
"Los que arriesgan , vivir de verdad || Those who risk, truly live." ~ It isn't Tolkien, but it's true.

Return to “Hero Journals & Records”