To Points West...

Welcome to Middle Earth.

All current role-playing will take place, here; record or post links to your die rolls, as well as anything you feel is relevant to playing your character in our present adventure, for ease of reference. All current Out-of-Character (OOC) discussions should take place here, as well, such as Fellowship/ Company planning. Please, keep your die rolls and short OOC notes in the main game thread; you may even use an OOC note to point to a topic (insert a URL into your post) or post elsewhere in this forum, as long as it is relevant to the on-going game.

Old adventures and OOC posts will go into the proper forum category area once the new adventure and OOC thread have been established. OOC threads MAY carry over to more adventures if I deem there is not enough in the current thread to separate it from a new OOC thread.
Fieranor of Imladris
LoreMaster
LoreMaster
Melee APs: 4
Stealth APs: 4

Re: To Points West...

Unread post by Fieranor of Imladris » 25 Aug 2019, 08:50

LoreMaster Note The gully you're all in is fairly shallow, only a few feet below the regular ground. With your tent and backs to the hill, however, this provides an amazing wind-break from the winds to the North, which is why you were able to stoke your fire and why the beasts are where they are. I do remember Éadnes' virtue, named The Speakers, acting and telling him there was no time for him to move the horses; of course, remember there are multiple ways to interpret what is said in all situations. And, of course, asking me questions is always welcome, and I will always try to give you as immediate an answer as possible; however, I can't answer what I'm not being asked :D .

As for the fire being set up where it is and the beasts where they are, I DID say they were close to the side of the gully, though I don't remember saying it was a wall, and I DID say they were furthest from the fire. I'll have to ask forgiveness for not being able to find a map that would accurately display those circumstances; I felt it was more important to have the tent as close to the base of the hill, which is acting as a wind-break, as possible, and then the horses and the fire. I should have found the map, first, and that's my fault.

Alright, my friends, I'm off to Church. I'll answer ASAP anything more once this day is over and I'm preparing to go into my game, tonight. :D
Moriel
Novice
Novice
Journey Role: Look-out (S)

Unread post by Moriel » 26 Aug 2019, 06:45

As an archer, I'm holding a flanking position on as high ground as possible.
Aethelwulf
Novice
Novice
Melee APs: 6
Journey Role: Hunter (P)

Unread post by Aethelwulf » 26 Aug 2019, 16:31

On Snowbourne, since I am skilled with spears, I will get to the high ground with Moriel, and I will ride down and help ambush.
Fieranor of Imladris
LoreMaster
LoreMaster

Unread post by Fieranor of Imladris » 28 Aug 2019, 13:03

LoreMaster Note Today's turning out to be one hell of a rotten day for me and my creativity, for the first time in a LONG time, is gone. When I have myself back together, tonight or tomorrow morning, I'll work on the next part. I apologize, but Mama said there'd be days like this. In this case, my Drill Sergeant said there'd be days like this.
Rosco
Novice
Novice
Stealth APs: 5

Unread post by Rosco » 28 Aug 2019, 23:14

I intend to stay by the fire and keep warm, especially since I have no ranged arms. However, I will also try to calm my nerves and all others by playing a soft tune.
Out-of-Character Just a point of clarification as it were. While Rosco has no spears or a bow, he does wield a Keen dagger, and has some skill in throwing it. Does that still mean I do not have a ranged weapon? To use a thrown dagger, do I need to be in close combat range?
Fieranor of Imladris
LoreMaster
LoreMaster

Unread post by Fieranor of Imladris » 29 Aug 2019, 16:08

LoreMaster Note My friends, I'm advancing time a little bit, and you can see I've moved your tokens accordingly, as follows...

Four rounds have advanced; Artorius, you'll see I've adjusted the timer down to 9 round remaining.
  • Moriel was on the left side of the tent and closer, as a result, to the top of the hill. Sarah, please post a Stealth check and, as I said in the OOC thread, don't be afraid to spend a point of Hope, if you need it. Your Target Number is 12; the wind is howling low from North to South, there's ice blowing off the ridge helping to conceal your form, and the ridge-top actually has a rock outcropping to allow you to get a grip and steady yourself. Whether your die roll is successful for Stealth, or not, you see exactly what you were expecting to see on the other side of the ridge, five Wargs carrying four Orc figures and, perhaps, a Goblin figure on their backs, chasing down six other Wargs who seem to be running wild. You cannot tell weapons, armor, or leadership, if any, you only see their silhouettes. If you do succeed, you can warn Ellisidil and Frerin, who are not far behind you, and then they will be allowed to make Stealth checks vs. a Target Number of 10, instead.

• This leaves Éadnes near Aethelwulf preparing for any potential onslaught, securing packs and horses, and unless any of you have any objections, Rosco tending the fire and playing music to help calm the animals and prepare folks for battle. Each of you has four rounds of movement you can make, which is pretty well near anything inside the camp.

I may begin looking to each of you for a Survival roll or start taking Fatigue, soon enough, but I'm not sure when that would be, but especially if you try to find a place away from the hill and the camp.

On a Side Note: Some of you know that I have Post-Traumatic Stress Disorder, and it has a tendency to coincide each year with the time I spent in Bosnia with the U.S. Army, which in truth is very specific to August 19th through December 21st, the anniversary's of when I entered the country and left it. The troubles I have with this come and go year-round, it's not restricted to those dates, but I've already had something of a rough year and so this wonderful season I am likely to be a little less functional than normal. My moods always change heavily this time of year, and I apologize up-front if I can't seem to "tend my shit", as you might have seen and heard in the movie "Your Highness".

That being said, I have zero plans of stopping, though I may need a day or two hither and yon, like yesterday and almost today, so it's Game ON!!! Damn the torpedoes and full speed ahead!!! :D

Alright, now that's said, I will get the Roll 20 map updated for the Wargs, momentarily.
Moriel
Novice
Novice

Unread post by Moriel » 29 Aug 2019, 20:49

Out-of-Character Stealth roll: 10. I will use a Hope point and will turn around and warn Ellisidil and Frerin to keep quiet.
My bow is armed and ready.
Eadnes
Apprentice
Apprentice
Stealth APs: 10
Journey Role: Look-out (P)

Unread post by Eadnes » 30 Aug 2019, 05:09

The wail of the wargs increases as they come into view. Éadnes focuses his gaze and sees that they seem to be fleeing rather than hunting. Any hunting creature stalks rather than runs until it prepares for the kill.

Aware that if they focus, he can be seen infront of the camp. He stands still and hopes whatever is chasing them drives them further west.

Moriel's voice carries to him in the wind. All are tense and he visually checks his preparations to ensure if these creature change direction, they will not find easy prey.
Fieranor of Imladris
LoreMaster
LoreMaster

Unread post by Fieranor of Imladris » 31 Aug 2019, 12:36

LoreMaster Note Alright, I've given you last two guys a couple days to move your characters if you wanted to, but it would seem you've both declined, so here we go.

Moriel, you're up front, at the top of the hill and with the absolute best view. You've not told anyone below what you see, yet, and it occurs that, despite the wind blowing, yelling loud enough for those remaining in the camp to hear is going to be too loud. Let me know what you intend to do, please?

Ellisidil and Frerin, each of you can spend up to 3APs for 3 spaces of movement. Because you're taller and built skinny, Ellisidil, you don't have the sure footing and low-build that Frerin does, so any advantage you might normally have on flat ground is taken away on the icy slope of this hill.

Éadnes and Aethelwulf, I know you're preparing the camp for a potential onslaught of Wargs -neither of you knows anything of the Orcs and the Goblin, yet, and Moriel's warning to Ellisidil and Frerin was only loud enough for them to hear over the wind-, but are you trying to accomplish anything specific?
Eadnes
Apprentice
Apprentice
Stealth APs: 10
Journey Role: Look-out (P)

Unread post by Eadnes » 01 Sep 2019, 01:37

Out-of-Character My preparations are as said before. I will have weapons prepared, missiles prepared including the bolas and a variety of rocks/burning wood to throw. I started when we thought they were wolves we would be driving off so until we know more that seems the plan. I'll make sure I know where the fire is in case I need to move round it for defense.

If Aethelwulf jumps on his horse, I'll think again as I won't fancy being the only one standing in the camp.
Fieranor of Imladris
LoreMaster
LoreMaster

Unread post by Fieranor of Imladris » 01 Sep 2019, 08:51

LoreMaster Note Fair enough, and thank you.

Sarah and I have company over this weekend, so we'll have to wait for her response to get the next round really moving.
Moriel
Novice
Novice

Unread post by Moriel » 01 Sep 2019, 22:38

Moriel waits for Ellisidil and Frerin to join her at the top of the hill.
"There are five Wargs with riders, and they seem to be chasing six other Wargs without riders. We need the archers to be ready to take down all five riders, because if there are witnesses, we will have more undesired company. If we can take them from up here, that would give us the element of surprise.
One of us will need to go back down the hill and relay the plan to the others."
Frerin
Apprentice
Apprentice
Journey Role: Guide

Unread post by Frerin » 03 Sep 2019, 06:35

Arriving at the ridge of the hill, Frerin frowns as he squints to make out the creatures his elven companion is pointing out in the distance. "Now, why'd one bunch o' Wargs be chasin' th' other? Orcs tryin' ta catch some new mounts, maybe?"

The dwarf huffs as Moriel mentions someone going back down to inform the others of the plan. "S'pose I can do that... ain't that much of an archer, anyway. Ye two stay put an' find yerselves a good place here ta shoot 'em from."
Ellisidil
Apprentice
Apprentice
Journey Role: Scout (P)

Unread post by Ellisidil » 03 Sep 2019, 08:58

Out-of-Character Ellisidil moves up to the top of the hill where I have set him.
Fieranor of Imladris
LoreMaster
LoreMaster

Unread post by Fieranor of Imladris » 03 Sep 2019, 10:23

LoreMaster Note Alright!!! Maybe back on track, yes? While Frerin is tracking his way back down the hill, which further reduces the possibility of the idea of taking out all of the riders, but as Frerin explained he's not much of an archer, anyway, so it likely wouldn't have worked with him there, and since Aethelwulf and Eadnes are preparing the camp and the horses for any fight that might come your way, what is it Moriel and Ellisidil want to do?