OOC Thread: Dragontide & The First Gathering of the Five Armies

These are old adventure topics, including their OOC threads for The One Ring: Company of the Gray Wolf.
Fieranor of Imladris
LoreMaster
LoreMaster
Melee APs: 4
Stealth APs: 4

Re: OOC Thread: Dragontide & The First Gathering of the Five Armies

Unread post by Fieranor of Imladris » 23 Apr 2019, 16:58

The Dragon-sickness in the Marsh-dwellers was more of a racial trait than a failing of the mind. That's sort of a big difference between them and pretty much everyone else.
Eadnes
Apprentice
Apprentice
Melee APs: 7
Stealth APs: 8
Journey Role: Scout (S)

Unread post by Eadnes » 24 Apr 2019, 11:39

Hi All,
A quick copy from the wiki.
I'm not sure if it helps?

The Nine were first observed around 2251 of the Second Age, and soon became Sauron's primary servants. Despite their great power and position as instruments of Sauron's will, not much is known of their activities during the Second Age. They were temporarily dispersed after Sauron's downfall in SA 3434 during the war of Last Alliance of Elves and Men. Though no longer able to maintain physical form, just as Sauron was after losing the One Ring, both the Nazgûl and Sauron were able to endure as long as the ring survived.

I think by now the idea of wraiths and the nine would be known and treated as bogeymen. Not believing isn't the same a not knowning. Therefore I see our questions as trying to establish something about a potential enemy or warning.

The fact that none of us has any idea how to defeat such a foe is positive as our challenge is to establish whether the dream is anything other than a dream. We rightly believe we do not have the ability to 'fight' a wraith as we would understand them to be some form of super ghost. Hence we have constantly pushed for information, where, what, how.

All of this seems fair to me, but of course it also depends upon each character's motivation. For my character it is not just to uncover information on Lodin that I seek to wander. Others may indeed have to ask why search for a wraith across a vast wilderness, without knowledge how it came to be and believing they cannot harm.
Fieranor of Imladris
LoreMaster
LoreMaster

Unread post by Fieranor of Imladris » 24 Apr 2019, 19:36

Truth... all of it, and well-spoken, my friend.

The problem is... because there's almost nothing known about wraiths, even Munin's library proves to be anemic on the subject. Looking realistically at the world of knowledge in Middle-earth, though there is a GREAT DEAL more than this sort of fantastical world should, realistically, have, there still must be limitations. One of those is the dearth of even text-translated oral accounts of spirits. Were they more prolific than they are there would be more tales. The truth, at this point, is all you have are circumstantial half-truths and conjecture based on the bloody few tales there are. There is not even anything concerning the Ring Wraiths; keep in mind that WE know about them because of Tolkien's stories, but we have to be careful about introducing meta-knowledge into the game, and some of us are creeping right along that edge.

Munin the Caretaker of the Chamber of Mazarbul has NO further information than what you all have seen.

Now, I'll allow for this: if you should come up with a question over the course of the soon-to-follow Fellowship Phase and what all comes after, I welcome you to ask it in your journal or in private messages and I will answer the best I can. However, I think it's finally time to begin the next portion of our adventure, the meeting with King Ironfoot. I'll do that once these storms around us settle down, and when I have a bit of peace and quiet around me.

I finally finished Possibility Blackout for Torg Eternity, and I have posted it on DriveThruRPG, but it has not yet become available, and I don't think it will until tomorrow, at which time I'll start sending out advertisements.
Moriel
Novice
Novice
Journey Role: Look-out (S)

Unread post by Moriel » 25 Apr 2019, 23:02

I am working on my character introduction for King Dain and need some time and thought to compile it.
Eadnes
Apprentice
Apprentice

Unread post by Eadnes » 26 Apr 2019, 03:38

All sounds fine.

I will try to come up with an interesting introduction!

Pete
Fieranor of Imladris
LoreMaster
LoreMaster

Unread post by Fieranor of Imladris » 28 Apr 2019, 08:24

Good morning, everyone!!! I'm so grateful we still have the ability and desire to play in this game, and I hope to hear from more of you as we're going along. Jacob, if you're paying attention to this thread, if you've subscribed to it, we're getting there, my friend. :) I'll shoot you an email in a minute; I know you're in exams week, but I want you to rest assured we're getting there.

My friends, Possibility Blackout is done and it's up on DriveThru RPG for sale, now and, though I'm writing the companion novel to the adventure, my concentration is more on this than it was over the past three weeks. I'm not going to apologize, though, because putting together an adventure, with images, words, sidebar's for strange rules, and the BLOODY MAPS; AAARRRRGGGGGHHHHHH, :lol: . This might have been the hardest thing I've ever done in gaming, for heaven's sake.

Anyway, back to OUR GAME!!! I so look forward to reading what the rest of you have to write with regards to introductions before King Dain. Enjoy your Sunday, folks. Sarah and I are going to see Endgame early this evening, and my heart's racing. We watched Infinity War Pt. I on Netflix last night, and then a couple other Marvel shows neither of us had seen, or that she had not seen, and it was a wonderful evening.
Ellisidil
Apprentice
Apprentice
Journey Role: Scout (P)

Unread post by Ellisidil » 30 Apr 2019, 18:56

I am 2 hours away from what was an active shooter situation at UNC Charlotte they have the person in custody after 2 lives were taken...please keep them in your thoughts...
Fieranor of Imladris
LoreMaster
LoreMaster

Unread post by Fieranor of Imladris » 30 Apr 2019, 22:09

Wait, this happened today? I've not seen it in the news, Dan. I will keep them in my thoughts and prayers.
Ellisidil
Apprentice
Apprentice

Unread post by Ellisidil » 01 May 2019, 17:07

Thank you...and yes it happened on 04/30/19
Ellisidil
Apprentice
Apprentice

Unread post by Ellisidil » 04 May 2019, 18:36

So guys, is there anything we need to cover, or is there anyone else we should be able to talk with that might know what might be happening, like Frerins father?
Eadnes
Apprentice
Apprentice

Unread post by Eadnes » 05 May 2019, 03:08

I can't think of anything. It seems to me we just need to head off. My only thought was to get the old guy to tell us where he dropped Lodin off or carry out an initial search of the ruins round the Lonely Mountain.

Pete
Fieranor of Imladris
LoreMaster
LoreMaster

Unread post by Fieranor of Imladris » 05 May 2019, 08:22

The old guy won't be able to help you, though. If you recall, they got lost in a really nasty dust storm in the Wastes, one of the three of them died while still in the storm, another one died once they were home, and of course the old man had been attacked and his leg was useless. You could TRY to question him, but unless you have a very specific set of questions and/or techniques for asking them that might jog the old guy's memory, I think that NPC is pretty much done in our story. :)
Fieranor of Imladris
LoreMaster
LoreMaster

Unread post by Fieranor of Imladris » 05 May 2019, 18:05

Alright, good Sunday to all of you.

You already know about Jacob (playing Aethelwulf) coming to join us, soon, but I've also invited Josh (playing Rosco), who was tied up for a little while, but his character is rapidly completed and ready to play as soon as we can get where I would like to introduce them. I have asked the fella's to introduce themselves in this forum thread, so you may be seeing a posting soon.

Dan, would you want Ellisidil to actually address the council in Dale, once you all arrive? If so, do you want that to be in the main thread or your journal thread? Either way is fine with me, I just need to know what and where to prepare, alright?

Alright, I intend to write the journey from Erebor to Dale later tonight. My Father-in-Law's computer is doing silly things on him, and has asked me to go and help him, which may also lead to a Dinner, somewhere. Anyway, once I'm back I'll be happy to write the next portion, unless anyone has any objections?
Aethelwulf
Novice
Novice
Melee APs: 6
Journey Role: Hunter (P)

Unread post by Aethelwulf » 05 May 2019, 19:08

Hello! I am indeed playing Aethelwulf, a young Rider of Rohan and an outrider knight. Looking forward to meeting you all in game!
Ellisidil
Apprentice
Apprentice

Unread post by Ellisidil » 05 May 2019, 19:14

I've been thinking about that, and I believe that King Dain is going to speak first, and it really wasn't a request from him but a firm you will do this, I have no choice. But I think there should be a discussion between him and I, even one sided from king to counselor, with ideas and other such helpful insights as to what I need to get across and I have a couple of my own...and will radaghast be joining us before dale and travel down? If so we three could have a conference along the way