The Marsh Bell OOC Thread

These are old adventure topics, including their OOC threads for The One Ring: Company of the Gray Wolf.
Fieranor of Imladris
LoreMaster
LoreMaster
Melee APs: 4
Stealth APs: 4

Re: The Marsh Bell OOC Thread

Unread post by Fieranor of Imladris » 14 Oct 2016, 01:32

My friends, for those of you interested in printing out your own character sheet for our One Ring game AND actually being able to see the fonts I built into the sheet, for which the sheet is sized in certain areas, I offer you the most up-to-date sheet AND the fonts I used in its construction...

http://www.wolvesau.net/oneringrpg/TOR_CS_Fonts.zip
http://www.wolvesau.net/oneringrpg/TOR_CS_Paul.doc

If you want the clear, half-red, and solid red diamonds to go with the character record -when you place them, you would resize them to 0.14" height, as they are much larger, nearly a half-inch in height- let me know and I'll get those to you.

I am transferring your characters to the new sheets -unfortunately, the Office 365 version of Excel 2016 has some pretty damn goofy rules about placement of objects in Word, so I'm having to do these the slow way-, Artorius' sheet is done, but not yet uploaded, and I am going alphabetically by character name. I'm hoping to have these done tomorrow or Saturday, but with the multiple storms set to roll through here through Sunday evening, I make no guarantees.

Enjoy, and I hope you find these useful.
Fieranor of Imladris
LoreMaster
LoreMaster

Unread post by Fieranor of Imladris » 15 Oct 2016, 17:29

Out-of-Character Alright, my friends, here's where we are with the various portions of the Fellowship Phase...
  1. Spending Experience Points - everyone's done.
  2. Spending Advancement Points - everyone's done.
  3. Standing Upkeep - Harald and Alex. I know Harald is at a convention until Sunday afternoon, I think he said.
  4. Choosing Fellowship Phase Undertakings - This will be done in the OOC thread, and each of you will be informed in your own journal threads when I make this happen. However, this is not going to happen until everyone is done with XP, AP, and Standing.
  5. The Next Adventure - Immediately following completion of Undertakings.
This coming week I work all five days, about 37.5 hours, and I've not worked one day, especially not getting up at 3:30am, for three months, so I'm going to be beat, trying to get back into my endurance. So, if these things don't come in by midnight London time, it might be a slow week, guys. I apologize for that, but I will do all in my power to be diligent to get these things done and begin the next adventure.
Fieranor of Imladris
LoreMaster
LoreMaster

Your First Fellowship Phase ~ Choosing an Undertaking

Unread post by Fieranor of Imladris » 16 Oct 2016, 22:26

Next, during each Fellowship Phase, when a player is done updating their character’s skills, Valor and Wisdom, and/or Attribute values, they may choose to undertake a task for the remainder of the Fellowship Phase.

Players are invited to exercise their creativity and find new and exciting ways to spend a Fellowship Phase. Often, players need look no further than the recently concluded Adventure Phase, as the story that was just completed might have provided several leads worth following, like a new friendship to consolidate or a new sanctuary to be granted access to. Any activity that could have a lasting impact on a character can be considered an undertaking.

Normally, a player is allowed to choose one activity for their character to undertake. During a longer Fellowship Phase, such as the one at the end of each year, if the LoreMaster agrees, or sees the necessity of a second undertaking, the player may take a second undertaking for their Hero.

If the Company agrees to stay together during a Fellowship Phase, the list of Undertakings for that phase will be listed in the OOC thread for the most recently completed Adventure Phase, and each player is allowed to select a separate undertaking. However, if the Company has decided to temporarily disband, the following list of Fellowship Phase Undertakings is designed to better fit the character, their destination and the culture amongst which they will live during the course of the Fellowship Phase.
  • Gain New Trait (LoreMaster’s Book(r), 197) ~ If a Trait doesn’t fit a PH, or a player wants to try something new, they can change or add one Specialty or Distinctive Feature. Just because the player has set aside one Trait to develop another does not mean they forget the old Trait. This is not a game of whack-a-Trait, so a new Trait needs to be developed, story-wise, by the player, and approved by the LoreMaster.
  • Open New Sanctuary (LoreMaster’s Book(r), 199) ~ While exploring Wilderland, adventurers will find new places suitable for resting during a Fellowship phase. A Company can make a new place a sanctuary, securing permission to enter it regularly to spend a Fellowship phase there. Any companion may choose a new sanctuary as their Undertaking, which cements their relations with the important personalities of the place. The Eagle's Eyrie has no rules that have been outlined, as yet, to take it as a new Sanctuary.
  • Perform Tasks for The Lord of the Eagle's ~ Player-heroes are VERY unlikely to gain The Lord of the Eagle's as a patron, though they may perform tasks for him. The Eagle's were sent to watch over the movements of the enemy and, sometimes, they need individuals on the ground to take a closer look into areas they cannot go. This is purely a spy mission and, if a PH takes it on, for the entirety of the next Adventure Phase, they get a 1 Rank bonus to both Awareness and Insight. Performed enough times, the Lord of the Eagle's may deign to give you his patronage if you can succeed at a final, tougher mission.
  • Write a Song (Rivendell, 23) ~ See Rivendell, pgs. 23-4 concerning the rules for writing music, poetry, lyrics and tales. This one involves being able to write a Tolkien-esque work, but it may be added to your Company's book of works and may gain extra Experience and/or Advancement Points in Song and/or Craft.
Once you have decided which undertaking you wish to embark on, please post your plan in your character’s journal thread, so I can update your character sheet.

If a second Fellowship Phase Undertaking is to be allowed, I will determine that and let you know so you can make a second choice from this same list. For your Fellowship Phase Undertaking(s), a story in this thread about what your character did for the phase, according to your understanding of it, may also benefit them with extra experience for use in the next Fellowship Phase. As always, if you have questions about clarifying one or more undertakings, post them in this thread and let’s get out the bugs. Also, if you have an idea you glean inspiration from one of these undertakings for, write it up and I’ll see what can be done about an award for that at the end; all of these FPUs are easy examples, but more can always be created. The Undertaking may be allowed for this Fellowship Phase, may be allowed for a future FPU, or may not be allowed; I will always try to work with you, but what you develop may not always work.
Eadnes
Apprentice
Apprentice
Melee APs: 6
Stealth APs: 10
Journey Role: Look-out (P)

Unread post by Eadnes » 17 Oct 2016, 13:21

Being new to this system, I would suggest making the Old Ford a sanctuary. If we are to continue adventuring then it seems we would become known over time. Having a safe place to lay up seems pertinent. I would be happy to ply my carpentry skills to earn some goodwill and put on performances with puppets. Meeting a few friendly folk may help us in the future. Anyone any other ideas or shall we go it alone for this stage?
Strider159+
Seeker
Seeker

Unread post by Strider159+ » 17 Oct 2016, 13:24

I agree - offer to help with chores such as wood cutting
Fieranor of Imladris
LoreMaster
LoreMaster

Unread post by Fieranor of Imladris » 17 Oct 2016, 17:21

Petecoi wrote:Being new to this system, I would suggest making the Old Ford a sanctuary. If we are to continue adventuring then it seems we would become known over time. Having a safe place to lay up seems pertinent. I would be happy to ply my carpentry skills to earn some goodwill and put on performances with puppets. Meeting a few friendly folk may help us in the future. Anyone any other ideas or shall we go it alone for this stage?
Strider159+ wrote:I agree - offer to help with chores such as wood cutting
I've been thinking about that, but there's really no patron to be the center of it, including Grór, as no one really runs the place. It's not a protected place, there are few places of business or homes... it couldn't be classified, right now, as more than a way-station, to be honest. Perhaps in the following years, as it continues to develop, it can become that.

You can do things around the place without it being a Sanctuary.

By the way... don't forget, as long as the time has been between posts, it's still only been about fifteen hours since you arrived safe on this side of the great bridge. :)
Apprentice
Apprentice
Melee APs: 6
Stealth APs: 10
Journey Role: Look-out (P)

Unread post by Eadnes » 19 Oct 2016, 15:36

As we can't have a sanctuary I gues that leaves a task for the Lord of the Eagles or a song. I don't have the book 'Rivendell' pg 23 so i'm a bit lost with that one. I guess it is something from the One Ring? I'll go with a spy mission for the Lord of the Eagles this time.
Fieranor of Imladris
LoreMaster
LoreMaster

Unread post by Fieranor of Imladris » 19 Oct 2016, 15:59

What are you talking about? Oh, wait, are you talking about that ridiculous rule about EVERYONE in the Company being required to take the Sanctuary together? No. I, and the few folks I've been able to speak with about this subject, agrees that the requirement is not the way they run things. If you wish to take the Eyrie as a Sanctuary, I have no problem with that. You CAN gain the Sanctuary from where you're at; I had to make special provision to allow that to happen, because the way the Eyrie and its inhabitants are written they do not allow those they don't trust on top of the rock. For gaining real access to the Eyrie, you would have to earn Thorondine's trust.

Yes, I came up with Thorondine, based on Tolkien's propensity to use one-off names for family and, since his sire's name was Thorondor... (shrug)
Fieranor of Imladris
LoreMaster
LoreMaster

Unread post by Fieranor of Imladris » 21 Oct 2016, 01:30

Richard, are you still with us?
Strider159+
Seeker
Seeker

Unread post by Strider159+ » 22 Oct 2016, 06:23

I am. So if I am following this correctly I am too far from home to just go there. Our next adventure phase will be to visit the eagles? Where I am at the moment cannot yet be developed into a sanctuary. What traits, etc could I spend the current phase learning/developing. I am as you will gather completely lost and confused
Fieranor of Imladris
LoreMaster
LoreMaster

Unread post by Fieranor of Imladris » 22 Oct 2016, 10:47

You are correct that, right now, you are too far from home to return there for the Fellowship Phase.

You are incorrect about the next Adventuring Phase being to visit the Eagle's... you are visiting the Eagle's during this first Fellowship Phase. See, The One Ring is way different than most RPGs we've ever played in the past, in that they have an official time for character improvements between adventures; some games have you improve characters at the player's will, some have you perform basic improvements with experience points between adventures, but neither of those provides a formal means or set of rules to allow for a narrative form of playing your improvements. TOR does.

You are also incorrect about developing the Eyrie as a sanctuary; you can. The main game has a rule that limits setting up a sanctuary to having the entire Company take that Undertaking at the same time, which means you could not also take an individual Undertaking; I have changed that rule because my research has not revealed anything to suggest a good reason WHY it has to be the entire Company. So, if you want to pick up the Eagle's Eyrie as a Sanctuary, you're welcome to.

Well, Richard, I provided a link within the text of that Undertaking's description to a thread on this forum that gives the same basic descriptions available in the main rulebook; you are more than welcome to read through those Traits, whether a Distinctive Feature or a Specialty, and select one to add, if you wish. Remember, Traits can be used to allow you the ability at a more or less automatic success, though I have modified the rule to allow for some manner of bonus or boon to your roll rather than an automatic success, if I deem it necessary to do so. All you have to do in any given situation, during an Adventuring Phase, is ask if you can use a trait, and then I determine whether or not you can use it and if it's automatic or I would give a bonus to a skill or characteristic roll.

So, if you desire to select a Trait, just let me know which and I'll add it to your character sheet. :)
Strider159+
Seeker
Seeker

Unread post by Strider159+ » 22 Oct 2016, 11:26

Ok I want to visit the Eagles, given that was the prime directive given to me. I will offer my services to the Lord of the eagles if he will grant me permission to call his home sanctuary in the future
Fieranor of Imladris
LoreMaster
LoreMaster

Unread post by Fieranor of Imladris » 22 Oct 2016, 12:15

Alright, in that case -and I'll note this on your character sheet in a few minutes and get it uploaded- please take a few minutes and read the following... viewtopic.php?f=57&t=2851&p=13020#p13010 and feel free to participate from this point forward in that thread. Remember, I'm only looking for a collaborative story, not for dice rolls; this gives all of you participating in that thread a modicum of freedom when telling the story that is greater than when in an actual Adventure Phase.
Fieranor of Imladris
LoreMaster
LoreMaster

Ending Your First Fellowship Phase ~ Returning & Adventuring

Unread post by Fieranor of Imladris » 02 Nov 2016, 21:03

At the end of a Fellowship Phase, whether the Company remained together or temporarily disbanded, you all come together at some meeting point. As all of you decided to remain together, pushing on to the Eagle’s Eyrie, all of you began your journey at the end of your stay by traveling toward the West Gate of the Elf-path, the Northern road through Mirkwood. On the way there, you came across the Easterly Inn and all decided to stay and help with the construction for a while. The Inn is run by Dodinas and Dinodis Brandybuck, Hobbits late of the Shire who have decided Rhovanion presents unlimited business growth opportunities, along with Dodinas wife, Agatha, and Freir the Grey Mountains Dwarf whom they befriended on the road. They have planted the Easterly Inn just off the North-South road, at the edge of the Eaves of Mirkwood and just over one day’s travel from the West Gate of The Elf Road, where they presume much traffic for merchants, adventurers and those simply seeking a new life in the prosperous Dale-lands will be coming in the next several years.

This is the final post in this thread, as I am beginning a new OOC thread to parallel the new adventure, which you can find here. From there, and from the final post of the role-playing thread “Finish the Race of the Long Road Out”, you will find the opening post for the new Adventure Phase. Good luck, Adventurer’s!!!
Fieranor of Imladris
LoreMaster
LoreMaster

Unread post by Fieranor of Imladris » 16 Nov 2016, 15:16

Out-of-Character Thread/Session Archived 16 November 2016