Out of Character

This is where our game will be hosted, our adventures to be played. Come, read and enjoy, play and enjoy a world, our world, fraught with action and danger, thought and resolution, to rid it of invaders who are not simply misunderstood, but bent on committing extraordinary acts of evil, sewing harm among the denizens of not only our realms, but of their own as well, and reaping the vast Possibility energy. They must be stopped, and you are one who can.
Sir Alain Fisk
Founding Member
Founding Member

Out of Character

Unread postby Sir Alain Fisk » 04 Nov 2013, 10:24

Feel free to discuss anything you would like to as long as it concerns the game. Most OOC posts and ideas can go into the main thread of the game, so they are answered within game-play, but for larger conversation pieces, it might be a good idea to post those here, especially about things such as Infiniverse postings, game rules, and the like.

NOTE: Use the following for your rolls on invisiblecastle.com/roller; Number of Rolls: 1, Dice: 2d10.extra(10), then copy the line of text inside the box on the results page, not any of the links. Next, find your bonus number from the Bonus Number chart on your character sheet, then add that bonus to the appropriate skill or attribute value -do NOT add the dice roll itself-, along with any other modifiers from abilities or technology to generate your total.

Sir Alain Fisk
Founding Member
Founding Member

Re: Out of Character

Unread postby Sir Alain Fisk » 29 Nov 2013, 22:46

Alright, gang. I think one of the reasons posting is dropping off for the game, is that it is supposed to be cinematic, and I've been trying to get you to understand the dice rolls and the like. By the end of Before the Dawn you will, more or less, have accomplished this feat.

So, there are two things I would like to discuss with all of you for the upcoming adventure, "A Wizard in the Wicket"...

1) I want to know if you guys would be alright with generating your bonus number at the beginning of each new combat round, and then telling me what it is you would like for your character to do, including any cards you will play and/or any Possibilities you will spend?

This would mean that I would take over all of the number crunching, bonuses/penalties, etc., including rolling extra dice for any Possibilities you might spend, but you would, apart from the bonus number generated, only be required to concentrate on your character's story.

2) I set up the private forums so you guys could have a place to put your card stacks for your hands, but permissions -though they are set properly- are not working for all of the forums, and I can't put my finger on why. So, if you would like, we could move all card play to your forum signatures, instead, then you would only need to edit your signature, moving a card from your hand to your pool? The same basic rules for card-play would apply, but you would not have a secret hand and a revealed pool; rather, you would not be able to play cards from your hand unless it was a critical moment and it was your decision to do so, and then you would have to play ALL cards relevant to the situation from your hand and your pool.

Anyway, these are a couple of things to try and make life easier, starting in the next adventure, if that's what you want to do? I'm game for both, as I do a crap-ton of number-crunching anyway, and I really do want to not only keep the Drama Deck in the game, but also make it a bit easier to deal with.

What do you guys think?

NOTE: Use the following for your rolls on invisiblecastle.com/roller; Number of Rolls: 1, Dice: 2d10.extra(10), then copy the line of text inside the box on the results page, not any of the links. Next, find your bonus number from the Bonus Number chart on your character sheet, then add that bonus to the appropriate skill or attribute value -do NOT add the dice roll itself-, along with any other modifiers from abilities or technology to generate your total.

Jack_Jones
Seeker
Seeker

Unread postby Jack_Jones » 30 Nov 2013, 10:03

I think it sounds like a good idea. Inevitably dice rolls are needed at crucial points of the game and if someone doesnt post for a day or two then it can really stem the flow of the game.

I'd be happy to give it a go
Character Sheet

Jack's Pool Cards

Jack's Card Hand (These are not available, except under special circumstance, until they are moved into your Pool)
Idea/Clue
Opponent Fails
Second Chance
Drama

Sir Alain Fisk
Founding Member
Founding Member

Unread postby Sir Alain Fisk » 30 Nov 2013, 21:59

Okay. And, rather than even having you guys generate a bonus number, I could just have you roll the dice and report the number, and then I could take care of the rest. I honestly don't mind; the idea is to tell as good a story as possible, and I feel like maybe you guys are not having as much fun as you could be, because you're so busy generating totals it doesn't really give you enough time for your thought process for writing a good story. I know I would prefer to have a good story, and have folks interested in the game. I would still like to hear from others, but I definitely needed your input, Gavin. Thank you.

Sir Alain Fisk
Founding Member
Founding Member

Unread postby Sir Alain Fisk » 17 Jan 2014, 09:10

Guys, click the following link if you use an Android phone and would like to use the same Die Roller Jason does... Torg Die Roller.

Matthias
Seeker
Seeker

Unread postby Matthias » 17 Jan 2014, 09:18

I am cool either way. My biggest issue is that, as Paul hints here and there, I have a new job function at work and it does take more of my time due to me trying to play catch up in my learning and rememberance. I will work more on this... For example I fell asleep last night in the middle of a post here o.0

I will get my cards moved over later tonight Paul. And hopefully I will finish my post lol.
Out-Of-Character ∴ My speech colors are: #9c2c8d for speech to others and #2C9C78 when talking in my own head!

My Character Sheet

╔═══ My Current Card Pool ═══╗

╚═══════════════════

╔═══ My Current Card Hand ═══╗
Idea/Clue
Nemesis
Campaign
Hero
╚═══════════════════

Sir Alain Fisk
Founding Member
Founding Member

Unread postby Sir Alain Fisk » 17 Jan 2014, 09:48

That sounds great to me, sir. Brandon told me on the phone, a few minutes ago, that he might not be able to get a post out before this coming weekend. Since he's new to the game, I'm allowing him to get his cards straight -and the rest goes for all of you- and, if anyone has questions about them, please ask?

Jack_Jones
Seeker
Seeker

Unread postby Jack_Jones » 17 Jan 2014, 15:30

Down loaded app......but it wont accept code

any ideas
Character Sheet

Jack's Pool Cards

Jack's Card Hand (These are not available, except under special circumstance, until they are moved into your Pool)
Idea/Clue
Opponent Fails
Second Chance
Drama

Matthias
Seeker
Seeker

Unread postby Matthias » 17 Jan 2014, 15:32

Shoot me an email, or hit me up on Google talk. .. ltanhonorsmiter@ghost mail.com

Code: Select all

My speech colors are: [color=#9c2c8d]#9c2c8d[/color] for speech to others and [color=#2c9c78]#2c9c78[/color] when talking in my own head!

Out-Of-Character ∴

My speech colors are: #9c2c8d for speech to others and #2C9C78 when talking in my own head!

My Character Sheet

╚═══════════════════

Idea/Clue
Nemesis
Campaign
Hero
╚═══════════════════

Sir Alain Fisk
Founding Member
Founding Member

Unread postby Sir Alain Fisk » 17 Jan 2014, 15:55

Sir Alain Fisk wrote:2) I set up the private forums so you guys could have a place to put your card stacks for your hands, but permissions -though they are set properly- are not working for all of the forums, and I can't put my finger on why.
The permissions are working just fine and always have. Sometime in November, Jason brought to my attention that he could see Eltee's hand cards. This sent me on a paper chase to find out why the permissions weren't working right. Since I wrote this post originally on November 30th, I've tried to track down the problem for this several times.

This morning I wanted to try something I hadn't tried, as I had just signed up Anthony's character, Nix, and found something I didn't think I'd tried. Then, I asked Jason to look again and let me know if he could still see Eltee's private forum, and he came back with the fact he could still see Eltee's cards. Dismayed, now, I went to see what the structure looked like from Jason's permissions -I'm allowed to test those through my administrator account-, and I could NOT see Eltee's private forum. So, I looked at his public journal forum and, lo and behold, where are his cards? Right where everyone able to read can see them!!!

So, it wasn't the permissions on the forum, since mid-late November, it was my thunder-headed cousin not putting things in the right place!!!! So, the forums ARE as secure as I am able to make them.

Sir Alain Fisk
Founding Member
Founding Member

Unread postby Sir Alain Fisk » 08 Jul 2014, 08:43

I wanted to take a few minutes and, perhaps, give you guys some impetus to continue playing in our Torg game, though I'm not certain the effect it will actually have on your decision. In most role-playing games, there is little incentive to campaign-ize, if you will, any sort of game. Most play groups are satisfied with playing in modules, or short unpublished adventures. However, in my Torg game, though we will be playing in both modules -such as the forthcoming Relics of Power trilogy- and unpublished adventures -such as our present The Wizard in the Wicket-, what you do in your adventures has an effect on the campaign of our Torg world. As there are many Storm Knights and groups of Knights across the realities and on our Torg Earth, and as the effects of many adventures were published in the Infiniverse magazines -all of which I have-, I will be modifying the world slightly for each of those magazines. However, I also have a means to let your group directly affect the world, as detailed here.

First, let me explain that, when you spend a Possibility, which is sometimes necessary, that Possibility goes to the Darkness Device belonging to the High Lord of that reality; because you're a Storm Knight, you are always generating Possibilities, but you are also always losing those Possibilities, and these are the ones you never know about. This is what maintains your reality for you, unless there's an unusually harsh backlash from the reality, which is where disconnects come in.

Alternately, when you earn Possibilities while in another reality, you actually manage to siphon off some from the Darkness Device; there is nothing you can do to improve the ratio of Possibilities you siphon off, except for excellent role-playing, developing great ideas and acting on them, and actually spending your Possibilities wisely. Like a boomerang, sometimes your Possibilities can come back to you when you spend them in such a way that denotes brilliance and strategy.

That being said, the number of Possibilities you EARN in a reality are divided by the number of Possibilities you SPEND in a reality. There are, basically, nine realms from seven realities to deal with, and their current ratios are as follows:

- Core Earth (2.7:1; not a High Lord reality, right now, but may have separate effect on other realms, later)
- Living Land (East realm is 2.8:1, in favor of the Storm Knights)
- Aysle (2.7:1, in favor of Storm Knights)
- Orrorsh, Living Land West, Living Land North, Cyberpapacy, and Nippon Tech are all 1:1 right now.

If a bunch of Possibilities were earned in a reality, but none were spent, the reality remains 1:1. For example, the group has earned 35 Possibilities in the Nile Empire, but spent none -which is really weird, considering how high-action that realm is supposed to be-, so the realm remains unchanged.

To know the effects of these ratios, how they work, follow the lists, below:
Hero Ratio High
  • 1.0:1 = No change
  • 2.0:1 = Storm Knights known to High Lord; extra scrutiny
  • 3.0:1 = Mixed area loses stellae, Dominant area becomes Mixed
  • 4.0:1 = High Lord sets trap for Storm Knights; McGuffin and all
  • 5.0:1 = Two stellae pulled, third on roll of 60+
  • 6.0:1 = High Lord sends Sub-boss to deal with Storm Knights, with minions
  • 7.0:1 = Effects of 5.0:1, plus adjacent Dom. becomes Mixed, Pure -> Dom.
  • 8.0:1 = High Lord suspends some of own works to send Army after SKs
  • 9.0:1 = Reality Backlash destroys a # of Stellae equal to bonus # from roll, M4
  • 10.0:1+ = High Lord comes to fight SKs, with minions, himself

Hero Ratio Low
  • 1.o:1 = '+1 Stellae planted on roll of 15+ on 1d20, away from Storm Knight activities
  • 0.9:1 = '+1 Stellae planted, away from Storm Knight activities
  • 0.8:1 = '+2 Stellae planted, 2nd planting Gospog army ready
  • 0.7:1 = '+3 Stellae planted, 1d6/2 Mixed become Dom. OR 1d6/3 Dom. become Pure
  • 0.6:1 = '+3 Stellae planted, 1d6 Mixed become Dom. OR 1d6/2 Dom. become Pure; 3rd planting Gospog army ready
  • 0.5:1 = High Lord causes minor reality storm, accrues 1d20 roll on Benchmark chart in Possibilities; no reroll on 10s or 20s
  • 0.4:1 = '+4 Stellae planted, 4th planting Gospog army ready, 1d6 Dom. Become Pure
  • 0.3:1 = High Lord causes moderate reality storm, accrues 1d20+5 roll on Benchmark chart in Possibilities; reroll on 10s and 20s
  • 0.2:1 = High Lord's realm now large enough to destroy opposing realm and take over their Possibility harvesting
  • 0.1:1- = High Lord becomes Torg, sends Armies to wipe out all Storm Knights, denudes planet of Possibilities

This is the last I will update you as to specific ratios, but you might want to keep an eye on intra-adventure happenstance, my friends. If a realm begins to expand a great deal, or part of the world begins to lose its color, or you see more powerful beasts and minions further from their own borders, you'll know something might need to be done, and soon.

Keep an eye on things beginning here: viewtopic.php?p=8555#p8555 . At the bottom of each opening post, you'll find a link that goes to the next month; however, if you continue to read on your current thread you'll find the current history of the war, if realms are expanding or shrinking, etc.

Sir Alain Fisk
Founding Member
Founding Member

Unread postby Sir Alain Fisk » 08 Jul 2014, 13:22

It has actually just occurred to me that I included some terminology in my previous post you may not be terribly familiar with, the zone/area types.

In Torg, there are three types of zones and, though they mostly apply to the invaders, they can also apply to Core Earth, which is our reality in Torg. The most concentrated and hard to deal with is the Pure zone or area; when you move into a Pure zone, if you're not a Storm Knight, or if you don't have Possibilities to help enforce your reality, spent by the minute, then you immediately begin converting to the Axioms and World Laws of the new reality. Let me clarify something, here... if you're from Core Earth, and you wander into a Nile Empire Pure zone, as long as you're not attempting to use a tool and fail an appropriate Contradiction check in the process, you're okay. If, however, you fail either a One-Case or Four-Case Contradiction check, you immediately disconnect and, unless you spend one Possibility per minute, you immediately begin to take on the reality you disconnected in. The best way to keep from disconnecting, is to either not use any sort of tools, armor, or weapons, at all, or to use gear that is both below your Axiom level and equal to or below that of the reality you're in.

Pure zones are found around the Maelstrom Bridges of the High Lords, around certain properly-rated axiom hardpoints, and around Core Earth hardpoints.

The next kind of zone/area is Dominant, where the axioms of the reality are, for the most part, set well into the area, and any foreign reality encroaching is subject to rules similar to that of a pure zone. However, disconnecting here is not as harsh, because I get to roll to see how long it takes you to transform, instead of it taking 24 hours or less, though it COULD still take 24 hours or less in a Dominant zone, dependent on how well I roll. Also, enforcing your reality by spending a Possibility has a much longer duration of one hour, rather than one minute, per Possibility spent. You can also try to reconnect in a Dominant zone, where you are not allowed to in a Pure zone.

Core Earth really doesn't have Dominant zones, they are typically either Pure or Mixed. Dominant zones ring around Pure ones, their depth determined by the overall size of the reality on Earth.

Finally, you have Mixed zones, which reside in abundance all over Core Earth, and are what buffer the more "pure" realities of the invaders, and are the outer ring, typically, of each of the invader's realms, as well. In these Mixed zones, all manner of axioms and Possibilities may exist and, though one set of Axioms may assert itself over another set inside a reality, disconnection, reconnection, and reality shifting generally is not all that bad. These are the source of the reality storm boundaries invoked as part of the natural laws of Contradiction elimination, and how Darkness Devices siphon off our Earth's Possibilities the most efficiently.

The larger a High Lord's realm is, the more storm front/border they have from which to siphon off energy. The more Dominant and Pure zones a High Lord can create, the more efficient the engine is for siphoning off this energy. The laws of nature, however, limit the types of zones that are available for conversion and/or use based on the other zone types.

This has been a slight primer in reality zone construction; we now return you to your regularly scheduled programming.

Sir Alain Fisk
Founding Member
Founding Member

Unread postby Sir Alain Fisk » 20 Aug 2014, 15:46

The boys and I are looking to move, again. We have to get out of this place, it's a death trap, I kid you not. August 25th or 26th, the money comes in, I go and get the U-Haul, we load it and punch as hard and as far as we can, and see what happens. I may end up down for several weeks as I'm getting re-established. Going to try and get to work on Fort Lewis, if we have to go live with Cousin Judy, or if we can find help -which I've already had three NO's come back from among fifteen organizations contacted, today- we'll get up to Everett, and see what we can do.

I'm not Catholic, but I'm going to try and get through to St. Vincent's for some more funds, because we just didn't make it. I'll try to let you know more as this situation evolves.

Jack_Jones
Seeker
Seeker

Unread postby Jack_Jones » 20 Aug 2014, 22:07

No worries Paul. Hope it all goes well.
Character Sheet

Jack's Pool Cards

Idea/Clue
Opponent Fails
Second Chance
Drama

Matthias
Seeker
Seeker

Unread postby Matthias » 21 Aug 2014, 04:12

Yeah bud, we all understand. Take the time that you need.

Out-Of-Character ∴

My speech colors are: #9c2c8d for speech to others and #2C9C78 when talking in my own head!

My Character Sheet

╚═══════════════════

Idea/Clue
Nemesis
Campaign
Hero
╚═══════════════════

Return to “Eternity Shards: Torg RPG”