All of the Goodness of The One Ring

Pretty much anything goes, here, but please try to keep it clean? Thanks.
Fieranor of Imladris
LoreMaster
LoreMaster
Journey Role: LoreMaster

All of the Goodness of The One Ring

Unread postby Fieranor of Imladris » 11 Jul 2016, 08:47

I've recently joined a Google + group built specifically for The One Ring. I've been reading a great deal from the LoreMasters who write there, including one of the writers of The One Ring, Gareth Ryder-Hanrahan, and these are folks who have experience from the release of the game in 2011.

I wish everyone had the same level of love for the game that a lot of these good people have, and that I am growing into. The more I delve into this system, and with the corrections Harald and Alex have helped me realized needed to be made, the more I fall in love with it, as well. There are some difficult rules to wrap a mind around, but these rules have been put into the game to help give the feel of what Professor Tolkien wrote in his novels concerning Middle Earth, and though some of them will take some time to see fruition with any game group, if there's a game that could keep a group together, I think it might actually be this one.

There are few systems that have ever been developed to support the background, history, and environment of the world the game is written around, and The One Ring is turning out to be a lot closer to doing that than I first realized. It's not just about comparative values when determining conditions a character may end up in, it's also about how the attributes and characteristics will, eventually, affect not only your own character, but also the Company. I have, prior to this point, been treating the words Fellowship and Company as funny little words, as abstractions and cutesy nouns used by the Professor to help construct and define his world, but they are woven into the whole fabric of that universe -which I still am not convinced is entirely fiction- and, as such, deserve the respect one used to pay to their elders in the world.

Without going too far the other direction, being overboard, hehe, I just wanted to say that I am looking at this material with new eyes, now, and I intend to enjoy the hell out of it from this point-forward. I am now entirely hooked on Middle Earth.
"Gondolin might not have fallen, with proper military technique and force applied."
"Los que arriesgan , vivir de verdad || Those who risk, truly live." ~ It isn't Tolkien, but it's true.

Return to “Public Discussion”