Why Gamer's Will Survive the Apocalypse!!!

Pretty much anything goes, here, but please try to keep it clean? Thanks.
Tithenon
LoreMaster
LoreMaster

Why Gamer's Will Survive the Apocalypse!!!

Unread post by Tithenon » 02 Mar 2013, 18:18

Okay, signs of the apocalypse -and I'm not just talking about the forthcoming growing possibility of a Second American Revolution in this nation- are growing, and folks are preparing for this sort of thing. As dumb as we are as Human animals, overall, it doesn't surprise me that we're heading in any one or more of these directions. Well, one of my favorite web sites, moviepilot.com, which takes movies and outlines them, from rumor to release, and though their site is rough they do a fair job, has written the following article about the top five things being put together in our world that resemble bad-outcome movies from the last three decades...

http://moviepilot.com/stories/882982-di ... tream-post

Now, who do you believe has the best chance of survival in any of these situations?

Jocks, Brutes, Body-Builders - When you're overwhelmed, you're overwhelmed, and it doesn't matter how tough you are. Have a Zombie horde come your way, or a group of robots started by exoskeletal leg manufacturers in Japan, that suddenly take over and start constructing the rest, and you're finished.

Scientists - These folks are so used to dealing with things in a vacuum, Petrie dishes, and from a distance, that close contact is not something they desire, nor typically know how to deal with.

First Responders - Trained to work their way into situations using safety, personal protective equipment, and usually backed up by others from their trades, these people would be doing all in their power, heroically, to help as many people as they could, and then would be eaten or otherwise killed by those who are doing the killing and/or those the Responders are trying to help.

Survivalists - These folks would be among those able and capable of defending themselves, helping others, and keeping away from those that would try to doom them from death.

Tabletop Gamers and LARP'ers - The most capable of surviving an apocalypse, because we deal with and think through all manner of absurdities, thinking about going into places angels fear to tread, but doing it with intellect and thought. Granted, most of us are horribly out of shape, but we would know where to go and how to look, especially if we've had some survival training to go with it, but we know to stay away from the action until things slow down a bit and so we can get ourselves in shape. Yeah, I think that about covers it.

So, what do you guys think? Am I right, here, or are there things I've overlooked?
GameMaster coming through, look out!
• Dice Rollers: Wizards of the CoastInvisible Castle; use either of these to make, copy and paste dice rolls into your posts.
What is a PbF Game, and How Do I Post in it?
Our House Rules
2nd Ed Magic Rules
How Do I Read My Character Record (Character Development, Your Stuff..., and Game Mechanics)
Character Concepts and Ideas
ArBes-Onna
Scout (Second Career)
Scout (Second Career)

Re: OOC: Why Gamer's Will Survive the Apocalypse!!!

Unread post by ArBes-Onna » 02 Mar 2013, 19:02

Hmmm....interesting concept. I have to agree with you on most everything you write here. The only exception to the "rule" I would toss out is the scientist group may have, say, one in a hundred that would most likely survive. Of those, most would probably only survive through dumb luck, and would continue to terrorize humanity through their ignorance. A small handful, however, would probably have the where-with-all to actually survive and try to help us as a race. And of course, they would be persecuted and driven into hiding like the rest of us!

The only other thing that would be apparent to me would be that gamers, though as you said have a different set of brain cells working than your average Joe, would most likely suffer from the "Tequila Syndrome". You know, the one that makes you ten feet tall and bullet-proof. We spend a lot of time analyzing and solving situations that are completely out of left field, so we do have that as a huge bonus, but we are also, again as you stated, woefully out of shape and may not realize our own limitations. This would not be good when facing the real deal.

On the up-side, there are a lot of gamers who, incidentally, are also survivalists, so even if the world is overcome by robotic legs or zombies (yes I read the article...freaky!) there would at least be some of us left to keep the games alive!!!

Now if we could figure out how to play over a ham radio....
I'narr en gothrim glinuva nuin I'anor
(The bones of our foes will gleam in the sun)
LoreMaster
LoreMaster

Re: OOC: Why Gamer's Will Survive the Apocalypse!!!

Unread post by Tithenon » 02 Mar 2013, 21:33

Damn... where did I misplace that like button!!! hehe
GameMaster coming through, look out!
• Dice Rollers: Wizards of the CoastInvisible Castle; use either of these to make, copy and paste dice rolls into your posts.
What is a PbF Game, and How Do I Post in it?
Our House Rules
2nd Ed Magic Rules
How Do I Read My Character Record (Character Development, Your Stuff..., and Game Mechanics)
Character Concepts and Ideas